Auto Climate Control Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 09:40 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Auto Climate Control Issue

I just purchased an '01 CL-S and everything about the car is wonderful except for the climate control (auto).

It's been FRIGID here (5F today, I believe) in the Chicago area the past few days and I had the auto climate control set to 68-69F but the fan was blowing very hot air. It had to be much warmer than 69F in the cabin. I took it all the way down to 61F (at 60F, the heater shuts off completely) and it changed little, if any.

Is the temperature sensor blown (next to the steering wheel, below it, on the right) ? Or am I just not understanding how to do this. It shouldn't be too difficult, I wouldn't think...
Old 12-20-2005, 12:16 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
funny you bring this up.

Mine is experiencing the opposite problem.

When it's really cold and I have my CCS (Climate Control System) set to let's say 78 degrees, the AC kicks on. And if I keep raising the CCS by one degree at a time, the heater won't come on until the CCS is set at like 83+ degrees. Sometimes the heater doesn't kick on till i set the CCS as high as 87 degrees.

And this happens when it's like 65 degrees out. Very strange. It doesn't always do it, but it does do it quite often.

I too think it's the temp sensor in the car. If it is that I could probalby just replace it myself.

I hope someone else can elaborate on this problem for us.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:37 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a similar problem as slyrakal. I have to turn my to max hot, let it start blowing hot air and then turn the dial back to the temp I want (usually 78). It will do this if it is 38 degrees out or 65 degrees out. I was wondering if it is possible the selector motor or lever for the air conditioning is getting hung up or stuck. I would think that the door for the ac vents to switch between cold or hot air is vacuum operated.

I have an external digital thermometer and when I do this trick it keeps the interior steady at 78 degrees.

That is what is leading me to think that the selector door is getting stuck.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:08 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BlackAcura01
I have a similar problem as slyrakal. I have to turn my to max hot, let it start blowing hot air and then turn the dial back to the temp I want (usually 78). It will do this if it is 38 degrees out or 65 degrees out. I was wondering if it is possible the selector motor or lever for the air conditioning is getting hung up or stuck. I would think that the door for the ac vents to switch between cold or hot air is vacuum operated.

I have an external digital thermometer and when I do this trick it keeps the interior steady at 78 degrees.

That is what is leading me to think that the selector door is getting stuck.

I almost always keep my CCS at 78 degrees as well. And I do the same as you, raise it up to kick on the heater, and then lower it back down.

What is the selector door? Is that a door in the vents that choose where to direct air from? And if that's the case I dont' think it's that because like I said in my post, even if the selector door wasn't operating correctly, the CCS should turn off the AC at least which it isn't doing. And if it is the selector door in my case, I have a much bigger problem then.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:01 PM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it may be accross the board. All you need to do is set it to the extreme left or right. Wait for the A/C or heater to turn on/off and then reset the temp.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:04 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by phipark
I think it may be accross the board. All you need to do is set it to the extreme left or right. Wait for the A/C or heater to turn on/off and then reset the temp.

I'm not all here today so forgive my slowness.

Do you mean reset the temperature that displays on our Instrument panel under the speedo?
Old 12-20-2005, 01:42 PM
Not Asian

Originally Posted by slyraskal

I'm not all here today so forgive my slowness.

Do you mean reset the temperature that displays on our Instrument panel under the speedo?
Damn, look like I left out a few key words in my haste.

Set the temp knob all the way down or all the way up. You will then hear/feel/notice the climate control switch between the a/c and heater. For example, if it's cold outside and your blower is still blowing out cold air at around 74 degrees, bump it all the way up until 90, the switch will commence.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:50 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by phipark
Damn, look like I left out a few key words in my haste.

Set the temp knob all the way down or all the way up. You will then hear/feel/notice the climate control switch between the a/c and heater. For example, if it's cold outside and your blower is still blowing out cold air at around 74 degrees, bump it all the way up until 90, the switch will commence.
But we're already doing that. So I don't see the difference with what you said. Putting it at 90 doesn't reset anything. It just forces the Heater to come on.

:lost:
Old 12-20-2005, 03:16 PM
Racer

Lightbulb

funny you bring this up.

Mine is experiencing the opposite problem.

When it's really cold and I have my CCS (Climate Control System) set to let's say 78 degrees, the AC kicks on. And if I keep raising the CCS by one degree at a time, the heater won't come on until the CCS is set at like 83+ degrees. Sometimes the heater doesn't kick on till i set the CCS as high as 87 degrees.

And this happens when it's like 65 degrees out. Very strange. It doesn't always do it, but it does do it quite often.

I too think it's the temp sensor in the car. If it is that I could probalby just replace it myself.

I hope someone else can elaborate on this problem for us.
Ok .. back to my specific issue .

I'm taking the car to Acura tomorrow to inspect it but I'm starting to think everything is OK.

If I turn the temperature to 61F, and click Auto OFF, it will blow heated air. If I change the temperature to 60F (Auto is still OFF), it will turn OFF the heater completely. The fan is running very, very little at 61F, even though I can feel the heater is on...

If I turn the temperature to 61F, and click Auto ON, it seems to be mixed (heated air + non-heated air) .. forgive my ignorance but is it working correctly then? Is the system blasting hot air from 61F-90F when Auto is OFF (manual mode) ??????????????

HELP!! If it's supposed to work this way then I'd like to know so that I don't have to bring it to the dealership early tomorrow morning!
Old 12-20-2005, 03:35 PM
Masshole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know if this is an answer or not, but I'll try anyways...

Since it is so cold out, the heater will blow very hot air into the cabin in order to reach the 61F setting that you have it at. Once the cabin reaches the desired temperature, the heater should not blow as hot.

Also, since the car is cold, the heat will not start blowing right when the car is turned on. Once the engine is warmed up, then the heat will start to come out. If you turn on manual mode when the engine is cold, then only cold air will be blown out.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:38 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 01RedCLS
Ok .. back to my specific issue .

I'm taking the car to Acura tomorrow to inspect it but I'm starting to think everything is OK.

If I turn the temperature to 61F, and click Auto OFF, it will blow heated air. If I change the temperature to 60F (Auto is still OFF), it will turn OFF the heater completely. The fan is running very, very little at 61F, even though I can feel the heater is on...

If I turn the temperature to 61F, and click Auto ON, it seems to be mixed (heated air + non-heated air) .. forgive my ignorance but is it working correctly then? Is the system blasting hot air from 61F-90F when Auto is OFF (manual mode) ??????????????

HELP!! If it's supposed to work this way then I'd like to know so that I don't have to bring it to the dealership early tomorrow morning!
it sounds like your's may be working fine. It's suppose to adjust the heat based on the cabin temperature. so if it's below 60 degress in the cabin, it should blow out warm air. and until it reaches the temp your CCS is set at, it will continue to do that

I think I may need to take mine in to have it checked.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:36 PM
Not Asian

But we're already doing that. So I don't see the difference with what you said. Putting it at 90 doesn't reset anything. It just forces the Heater to come on.

:lost:
Hey, I didn't say it "fixed" anything. It's just what you have to do. I'm not sure if that's how it's supposed to be, but I can live with it.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:01 AM
Team Owner

After taking the CL-S in today to get a new wheel lock I had them check the climate control unit again and sure enough they found out what the issue was. The air mix control unit was malfunctioning and so I had them replace the unit. So far everything seems to be working good. The place I took the car to get detailed broke the cover on the light sensor on the dash so in two weeks they are going to replace that as well.

I know I'm planning on selling the car but I'm still treating the car as if it's my car as that is how I'd expect a car to be treated if I were buying a car.

Anyway, if your climate control unit seems to having issue, check the air mix control motor/unit and see if it's properly adjusting the mix of hot/cold air.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Lol, talk about updating your posts. 2.5 years later and still updating... Hope you get everything running smoothly.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pits200
Lol, talk about updating your posts. 2.5 years later and still updating... Hope you get everything running smoothly.
Trying to help my fellow members as much as I can.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:18 AM
Racer

Question

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
After taking the CL-S in today to get a new wheel lock I had them check the climate control unit again and sure enough they found out what the issue was. The air mix control unit was malfunctioning and so I had them replace the unit. So far everything seems to be working good. The place I took the car to get detailed broke the cover on the light sensor on the dash so in two weeks they are going to replace that as well.

I know I'm planning on selling the car but I'm still treating the car as if it's my car as that is how I'd expect a car to be treated if I were buying a car.

Anyway, if your climate control unit seems to having issue, check the air mix control motor/unit and see if it's properly adjusting the mix of hot/cold air.
Thanks for posting your experience - I appreciate it! They never found an issue with mine and it seems to act the same way as it did 3 years ago. Oh well! What were the clues that you thought something was wrong? Maybe I could tell for myself if I'm having that issue. I don't feel like paying $60 for them to diagnose it - not worth it if there isn't an issue found.