Attn: Jens, Wayne, blxmjx..."Shimming" suspension for camber adjustments?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 02:43 PM
Rod
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attn: Jens, Wayne, blxmjx..."Shimming" suspension for camber adjustments?

In another thread it was mentioned that you can "shim" your suspension to adjust the camber and I wanted to know if this was a recommended/reliable method for going about this?

Here's the original thread where it was brough up: http://www.acura-cl.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=1&t=009112

And here's the post with the most info about the shimming method on that thread:
Originally posted by AirC:
<STRONG>What about this who shimming process? Does anyone know anything about that? VTECnology was talking about that and so has some of my friends. I was reading an old article from Import tuner issue 4. IT actually has detailed instructions on how to install the camber kit...looks like its not too difficult. Shows to remove the wheels and strut tower and thats pretty simple if you spend the time and then you just modify the control arm. HOWEVER for camber changes in the rear suspension all they did was do this shimming process also. Seems to me that theres not really a point to even get the rear camber kit for most cars if this Shimming process works as well as i have heard. Anyone know anything about this in detail? Just FYI here are the exact insturctions they stated in the mag for the rear camber changes.

" The rear camber is corrected by shimming hte upper control arms (links) outboard. Replace the two M10 mounting bolts on each side with the longer fastener s supplied in the kit. Add washers between the body and upper mount. Each washer provides 1/2 degree of positive camber. Use thread-locking compound supplied with each new fasterner. Be sure to add the same number of washers to each bolt. Most lowered civics and integras need three washers or 1.5 degrees of change."

It also provides a pretty nice diagram but i dont have a scanner...

Anyhow...any info on the shimming process would be greatly appreciated. Also on the price for someone to do it or hte price for the install on a rear camber kit... THanks alot</STRONG>
Also, I remember blxmjx mentioning that he had someone work done on his suspention to get the camber set up properly and have no rubbing, so I 'm wondering if this is what you had done to your car?

Is this a better alternative to getting camber kits? Are camber kits recommended and reliable? I heard that any little bump you hit will throw the settings off if you have a camber kit installed so is this something to worry about? Any other drawbacks I should know about camber kits or the shimming method, besides the cost for camber kits?

I'm interested because I'm thinking about changing out my Comptechs for coilovers and dropping it a bit more if I get 19s. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2001, 12:11 PM
Rod
Drifting

^^^^^

Old 08-10-2001, 02:02 PM
foolio at heart

Aww man, sorry I didn't even see this thread. Well what I always do to my lowered cars is bring it to this frame and wheel place locally. What they do is bend the spindle to get the camber back into factory specs. I've done this to the last 5 lowered cars that i've had and all my friends swear by this method. It's not a good idea to do it too many time though, on the same vehicle. I usually have it done once when I drop the ride and another time if I put the car back to stock. I hope this helps you out.
Old 08-10-2001, 04:04 PM
Rod
Drifting

Bend the spindle, damn, sounds complicated. I'm assuming this is a good way to do it though since you have had a couple cars with this done to them. Thanks for the info! Now the problem will be finding a reputable shop in South Florida that does this as well. Do they do it just to the rear or also to the front? If you don't mind me asking, about how much does this go for?
Old 08-10-2001, 04:09 PM
foolio at heart

Originally posted by Rod:
<STRONG>Bend the spindle, damn, sounds complicated. I'm assuming this is a good way to do it though since you have had a couple cars with this done to them. Thanks for the info! Now the problem will be finding a reputable shop in South Florida that does this as well. Do they do it just to the rear or also to the front? If you don't mind me asking, about how much does this go for?</STRONG>
I got the front and rear done for $140.0.
Old 08-13-2001, 07:48 PM
Rod
Drifting

Anyone else?!
Old 08-13-2001, 08:26 PM
*Hella* isn't a word.

My brother told me to do the same thing. Cause with the camber kit, one good pothole and ur fucked.... Then agian, i didn't think beiding the spindle or *knuckle* was a good idea for a 30K car.
Old 08-13-2001, 09:02 PM
Instructor

alright, DO NOT bend your spindle, period. When I drop my CL I am going to shim the rear suspension. this is done with the washers mentioned in the thread above. It's not a great method, it puts a lot more stress on all the bolts that get shimmed. I have seen this method on lots of Integras and Civics. As far as I know none of them have had any problems. Camber kits: I'm not sure whats all available for the CLs yet. I think a camber kit for an Accord would work but don't quote me on that one. I had a suspension techniques camber kit on my integra and it was nothing but trouble. Like what was mentioned earlier every time I would hit a big bump it would fuck up. got rid of it for an engalls engineering kit and never had a problem again. Also, the Engalls kit is a ball type instead of the slide type like the Susp. tech. one so it will not wear out nearly as fast. The sure fire way to go is with a camber kit. the shims will save you money but can't promise the long term reliability. Like I said, DO NOT bend anything. All of the metal in your suspension is heat formed. Bending it will create small stress fractures that will eventually lead to premature failure. not covered by warranty. BTW if this is somewhat usefull do me a favor and rate me. I want a little star thingy. thanx
Old 08-13-2001, 09:40 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nope,sorry this will not work on our cars.This will work on certain cars like a Civic due to the design of the control arms but ours are not attached to the body in this fashion.I would not worry too much about camber unless you have lowered your car beyond the typical 1 to 2 inches.If your camber is out above 2 degrees then a camber kit is in order other than that just upping the tire rotation schedule is all that is really needed.Jens
Old 08-13-2001, 09:42 PM
Banned

Tim has the camber kits for the front and rear of the CLs....I think they're probably Accord ones...
Old 08-14-2001, 11:59 AM
Rod
Drifting

VTECnology,
You have your stars now since you recommended the Engalls kit.

I figured this wouldn't work on our cars, everything on the CL is too complicated, you can never take the easy or cheap route with this car. Oh well, I hope the 19s look good with just my Comptechs in and some extra weight from some subs and an amp in the trunk.