but you can check it out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eb...756251&r=0&t=0

sidemarker
Old 06-06-2002, 01:22 PM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weird.

The pictures have the K&N mounted at the wrong end

If that is how it's really mounted, it cannot be connected to the throttle body unless you keep the stock rubber hose (like X-CAI setup). If that is the case, wtf are the nipples and the blue hoses for?

Since the pictures are taken with the cone mounted wrong (proved the seller doesn't know anything about the CL-S engine bay), I really doubt the claimed performance gain.
Old 06-12-2002, 02:55 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a newbie (just got my 01 CL-S, 2 weeks ago, and I love it!).

Anyhoo, I just bought this kit, still haven't received it yet, but when first saw it I thought it looked mounted wrong, so I emailed the seller and he admitted it was. I don't doubt that the seller's claims in HP gain are exaggerated, but this should be better than stock, right? I mean the effectiveness of the Short Ram Air is gonna be most affected by the filter, and K&N is a good brand. I know everyone is gonna tell me to go CAI, but I don't want to void my warranty. When I get this thing in I will let you know how it feels.

Worst case, scenario I'm out $100, and I learn a valuable lesson.
Old 06-12-2002, 03:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by jmeffe

Anyhoo, I just bought this kit, still haven't received it yet, but when first saw it I thought it looked mounted wrong, so I emailed the seller and he admitted it was. I don't doubt that the seller's claims in HP gain are exaggerated, but this should be better than stock, right? I mean the effectiveness of the Short Ram Air is gonna be most affected by the filter, and K&N is a good brand. I know everyone is gonna tell me to go CAI, but I don't want to void my warranty. When I get this thing in I will let you know how it feels.

A CAI won't void the warranty... it has the same effect on the engine as a short ram, so either would be fine.

The short ram is a good way to start... it makes the car louder then a CAI b/c the whole setup is in the engine bay... but it's a sweet sound at VTEC ..... The performance is pretty close for a short ram and CAI anyway... and like you said the filter is good... so you should be happy. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!!

Oh yeah.. and welcome to the board
Old 06-12-2002, 05:28 PM
Drifting

Just $100?!?! That is half a CAI! Well experimentation is important...you gotta experiment to know what works . By the way...welcome to the board and hope you enjoy your stay!
Old 06-12-2002, 07:02 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the warm welcome.

A CAI won't void the warranty... it has the same effect on the engine as a short ram, so either would be fine.
I didn't think it would void the warranty either, but I called my Acura dealer on this to make certain. The guy I talked to told me that an aftermarket intake would not void the warranty if the filter was "on the same plane" as the stock filter. He then told me he had some lady come in a week earlier with a CAI installed. She had gone through a large puddle of water and sucked up some through the intake and damaged her engine. They weren't covering it under warranty. I guess she should have just revomed the CAI and put the stock kit back on, before taking it in to the dealer.
Old 07-14-2002, 12:22 AM
Busy Living

the intake is back on ebay, has anyone tried this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1843775848

I want a short ram intake for a type S. This is all i can find and i'm not that thrilled about having to buy if from ebay and not a traditional site. I found short rams for non S type, no nothing for type S. Please include a URL of someone that is selling a short ram if you know of any.
Old 07-14-2002, 11:46 AM
It's Go-Time.

Re: anyone want to try out a short ram intake

Originally posted by sidemarker
dont know if this is legit

but you can check it out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eb...756251&r=0&t=0

sidemarker
What is the blue tubing for???
Old 07-14-2002, 02:43 PM
Instructor

I got this. It is a short ram intake. That's about all I can say. I really got nothing to compare it too, since it was the first mod I got. It feel like I get a little extra power. It is also extremely lound at VTEC, kinda sounds like a small block V8. Having the K&N filter is nice. Seller is a real prick, had some problem with him but nothing that would make me recommend against buying from him. The blue tubing is to connect your vaccum tubes. The one real problem with it is the connections for the vaccum tubes come out the side of the SRI. This is not a problem on the back, but the front one goes right into the battery cover. So I had to tilt the SRI as far down as possible. Or you can just run without the battery cover on. Hope this helps.
Old 07-14-2002, 03:00 PM
Suzuka Master

I got this. It is a short ram intake. That's about all I can say. I really got nothing to compare it too, since it was the first mod I got. It feel like I get a little extra power. It is also extremely lound at VTEC, kinda sounds like a small block V8. Having the K&N filter is nice. Seller is a real prick, had some problem with him but nothing that would make me recommend against buying from him. The blue tubing is to connect your vaccum tubes. The one real problem with it is the connections for the vaccum tubes come out the side of the SRI. This is not a problem on the back, but the front one goes right into the battery cover. So I had to tilt the SRI as far down as possible. Or you can just run without the battery cover on. Hope this helps.
so the short ram that was selling on ebay does fit on the 3.2 v6 type s motor????

u have A LOT of faith in that seller and I guess it paid off

sidemarker
Old 07-14-2002, 04:15 PM
Drifting

if anyone wants i got a AEM short ram laying around,
used it for about a month..PM if intrested..

fyi
will only fit cl-p, tl-p..
Old 07-14-2002, 04:30 PM
The Screeching Toyo's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by peiqinglong

Just $100?!?! That is half a CAI! Well experimentation is important...you gotta experiment to know what works . By the way...welcome to the board and hope you enjoy your stay!
That won't fly here in Cali!!! NO CARB STICKER!!!! Our stupid smog laws!!!!! Injen, AEM, and the Weapon R intakes all have CARB certification. We are stuck using one of those!!!!
Old 07-14-2002, 05:54 PM
Instructor

sidemarker:
Yes it fits the 2001 CL-S engine. But like I said it'll require you to either have your battery cover off or to angle the intake so that you can attach the vaccum hoses.
Old 07-14-2002, 10:05 PM
Busy Living

ok, so as far as short rams go, we have the weapon-r ($170)and this K&N hack job ($100). anyone know of any others? seems like it makes sense to get the CAI instead.