ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A PIECE OF PLASTIC, CHROMED??

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 12:07 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A PIECE OF PLASTIC, CHROMED??

I want to get the plastic shift gate on the center console chromed. Does anyone know if this piece even comes apart on its own or if I can get it chromed?? I think it will look nice in a black interior to match the door handles. It will look more symmetrical.

Secodly, how do you remove the shift knob in this car?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 08-02-2001, 12:46 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you remove the knob bt turning it really hard counter clock wise.. really really hard.

and the croming was discussed earlier (about 2-3 months) and it was decided it was very expensive.
Old 08-02-2001, 01:24 AM
www.drippinwet.com

chroming can be done, i don't know the name of the place but it is in ca, you can contact troylee designs, www.troyleedesigns.com he has alot of helmets chromed he sends them somewhere to have them done, maybe he would tell you
Old 08-02-2001, 03:14 AM
Instructor

I'm kind of interested in this concept too, but I don't think that it's chrome I'm looking for, just a way to make hard plastic chromy like our badges or grille,paint or some coating perhaps, they seem to last forever anyways, and I sure the OP would like it too for his shifter base.
Old 08-02-2001, 03:41 AM
Banned

Can a non-conductive material like plastic be chromed?
Old 08-02-2001, 12:59 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Kwick-CL-ver-S:
<STRONG>I'm kind of interested in this concept too, but I don't think that it's chrome I'm looking for, just a way to make hard plastic chromy like our badges or grille,paint or some coating perhaps, they seem to last forever anyways, and I sure the OP would like it too for his shifter base.</STRONG>
Yes, this is exactly what i'm looking for. I want to make the shiftgate chrome. I know plastic can be chromed because the grill and the emblems are chrome. Has anyone here done this?? Can someone post pics? I saw a discussion on this a few months ago and people said they were gonna do it. I just want to know how it came out and if its worth it.
Old 08-02-2001, 01:59 PM
Pro

there are places in miami that do that sort of stuff. they do rims and sh*t to. i found it in the bargin trader and you could find those in any gas station.
Old 08-02-2001, 03:35 PM
on bin laden

We did it up here in Minneapolis about 3 months ago. The other guy I met with was supposed to get it done, and I've been minus my shift gate ever since then. He had some relatives in Tampa that do chroming. Unforatunately, his wife gave him the OK to buy a new car next year, so he isn't too much into modifying his CLS now. Here are the pics on how to get the gate off.
http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~fbazako...a/FrameSet.htm

Also. somebody just emailed me about this, i haven't written back yet, but I'm still waiting to get it back.

~Fotis
Old 08-02-2001, 03:40 PM
Banned

I thought the process of chroming plastic involved a lot of expensive chemicals, because the cheap way involves illegal chemicals....it's not like aluminum where you can dip it and then use electrodes to charge the particles to make the chrome stick...if you guys do find a place...tell me..my friend has a lot of stuff that's plastic that he wants chromed.
Old 08-02-2001, 03:46 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by fbazakos:
<STRONG>
Also. somebody just emailed me about this, i haven't written back yet, but I'm still waiting to get it back.

~Fotis</STRONG>
That was me who e-mailed you. I wanted to know how it came out. So you have been without your shiftgate for 3 months??? When did you send it and when do you expect it back? Thanks for your response!