Anybody tried the 8000K D2S HID replacement bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2002, 03:24 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anybody tried the 8000K D2S HID replacement bulbs?

Super Xenon
Old 09-21-2002, 03:58 AM
ALi G in the House!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are u gunna do a group buy or something?
Old 09-21-2002, 05:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by AkuraCLS
are u gunna do a group buy or something?
i think anything above 4200k is acutally just more bluer not brighter.
Old 09-21-2002, 08:11 AM
O.G.

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS
i think anything above 4200k is acutally just more bluer not brighter.
You are correct. The 6000k is bluer than the 4200k and the 8000k looks more purplish than blue. Either way, actual light output is diminish. It will look brighter but in reality it is not.

But damn, I love my 6000k!
Old 09-21-2002, 10:25 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

check the website... they only sell tehm for D2S headlights... we're D2R...
Old 09-21-2002, 03:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah I wouldnt go over 6000k rating. After that you just lose way too much light output. Stock bulbs might be brighter! (that is non-hid stock bulbs)
Old 09-22-2002, 09:40 AM
Banned

CL can use D2S. Its much brighter than stock or 6000k HIDs.
Old 09-23-2002, 11:44 AM
Banned

^_^
Old 09-23-2002, 12:30 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Originally posted by topdaytrader
CL can use D2S. Its much brighter than stock or 6000k HIDs.
just because it's a D2S, doesn't mean it's brighter

D2S is a type of HID bulb that is mainly used in projector applications.. and they have more of a glare which may appear that they are brighter if you look at them.. but not necessarly light up the road better..

4200K, 6000K, 8000K etc.. are the color temperature, which is what end of the color spectrum it is on..

if you get the 8000K HID bulbs, you'll be wasting your money.. but it's your choice.
Old 09-23-2002, 12:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by Edub-TL
just because it's a D2S, doesn't mean it's brighter

D2S is a type of HID bulb that is mainly used in projector applications.. and they have more of a glare which may appear that they are brighter if you look at them.. but not necessarly light up the road better..

4200K, 6000K, 8000K etc.. are the color temperature, which is what end of the color spectrum it is on..

if you get the 8000K HID bulbs, you'll be wasting your money.. but it's your choice.

Changing out your bulbs is for appearence only. For functionality.... the stock 4200k are the best as they put out more light then the 6000k and 8000k bulbs. Personally... I wouldn't go over the 6000k bulbs in my headlights as I like prefer to see better then to "look" like I have different HIDs......
Old 09-23-2002, 05:52 PM
Banned

You think factory 4200k is brighter than 8000k? What kind of crack are you on? You need to spend some money on your education. Did you ever learn physics? In order to achieve higher color temp. You need more power output. That means you'll have brighter lights.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:05 PM
Drifting

You think factory 4200k is brighter than 8000k? What kind of crack are you on? You need to spend some money on your education. Did you ever learn physics? In order to achieve higher color temp. You need more power output. That means you'll have brighter lights.

WTF are you talking about?
Old 09-23-2002, 06:24 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

topdaytrader,
perhaps you should really know what you're talking about before you shoot your mouth off and tell us we need to spend money on education and learn physics LOL

You're mistaking glare for brightness.. the major manufacturers of true quality HID bulbs Phillps and Sylvania don't make anything higher than 6000K bulbs. Stock 4200K provide 3200 lumens.. and 6000K provide 2400 lumens.. btw, in Physics, that is how they measure brightness So you can see why juniorbean is right about his stock bulbs.

Anything else that is marketed as 7000K, 8000K, etc.. is most likely a cheap 4200K bulb with a color filter on it.. which decrease the light output even more..

There is tons of info on HID technology.. come back after you've read the facts.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:45 PM
The Acura Granddaddy

I think you really missed the boat on this one. Define brighter....Let suppose that we are all humans here and see the same wavelengths of light. A 4200K and 8000K light of the same intensity (lumens, candlepower whatever) don't register the same to the eye. 4200K, which approximates daylight, is the sweetspot for human vision....bascially what we register the best. Eyes do not register the 8000K light with the same "brightness" we do not have the same amouts of receptors for this color.

As for physics....if I paint a halogen lightbulb blue for the fake HID look does it take more power to make this higher temp color? I think not. :P
Old 09-23-2002, 07:19 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by LegendC
I think you really missed the boat on this one. Define brighter....Let suppose that we are all humans here and see the same wavelengths of light. A 4200K and 8000K light of the same intensity (lumens, candlepower whatever) don't register the same to the eye. 4200K, which approximates daylight, is the sweetspot for human vision....bascially what we register the best. Eyes do not register the 8000K light with the same "brightness" we do not have the same amouts of receptors for this color.

As for physics....if I paint a halogen lightbulb blue for the fake HID look does it take more power to make this higher temp color? I think not. :P

Topdaytrader, sorry if one of your friends gave you that information on the kelvin rating, but the truth of the matter is, the higher the kelvin rating the less light output..Like they said above, the stock 4200k will produce the most usable light..while the highest I would go, 6000k, is about the cut off because anything after that and you lose way too much usable light. Meaning anything higher would just be a waste of money for the HID's...just go out and buy a pair of hiper bulbs if you want color, or PIAA plasmas..they come out purple and are under 100.
Old 09-23-2002, 07:21 PM
Darth Tator

Re: Anybody tried the 8000K D2S HID replacement bulbs?

Super Xenon
i think he just wanted people to buy his bulbs...
Old 09-23-2002, 11:39 PM
O.G.

This must be the MOST ignorant post I've ever read!
Old 09-23-2002, 11:47 PM
Sold 12/29/04 :-(

HERE IS SOME EDUCATION FOR YOU:

There are many companies and private merchants out there that will advertise 7000K, 8000K, and even 12000K HID kits. Most of these vendors lurk around on e-bay, online car forums, websites, and ricer accessory shops. 100% of the people that buy this kits are uninformed, uneducated, or misguided in the field of lighting, and will buy these junk kits thinking two things: that these bulbs are brighter and/or that they will perform better. These are both untrue. Perhaps this misconception and frenzy for purple lights originates from BMW and Audi's infamous projector HIDs. Philips is the number one manufacturer of HID components. The Philips OEM D2S bulb is rated at 4100K at 12.8 volts and produces 3200 lumens of light. The Philips Ultinon D2S is 5800K at 12.8 volts and produces 2400 lumens of light. As you can see the brightness declines the higher up the color index you go. Vision, a Korean bulb manufacturer, makes an 8000K bulb which they used to advertise on the Acura forums as 2000 lumens bright. This is barely a marked improvement over halogens, and will produce more glare and eye fatigue than it is beneficial. 4100K has been proven through tireless research to be the truest white and thus the brightest possible color temperature.

So here's the low down... Every car manufacturer in the world (including BMW and Audi) uses none other than a standard 4100K gas-discharge bulb. The reason being is that 4100K is daylight white in color and produces the same visible light as the sun at high noon. This is least fatiguing color on the eyes and produces the most comfortable contrast on the road. So why do BMW and Audi lights appear blue when they use a white bulb? This coloration is the sole result of the projectors. The lens, it's transparency, it's curvature, the tiny grooves shaped within it, the projector assembly, the shield, and the reflector bowl all work together to produce a signature of light unique to that particular optics design. On the Audi and BMWs, a "prism effect" occurs that breaks white light into it's fundamental colors. You'll notice that these BMW HIDs are only purple and blue from the sides, the top, and the bottom, but always daylight white from the dead-on center. This phenomenon can be demonstrated when you see an oncoming BMW hit a bump in the road and it's nose pitches up and down. The headlights will flicker and "throw colors off", but returns to a solid white beam pattern directly on the road.

Think before you speak
Old 09-23-2002, 11:51 PM
Banned

8000k HID bulb is clear and there's no blue coating on it. It ain't no cheap hiper bulbs. You talked a lot of bullshit and you never even seen the bulbs. What a dumbass.
Old 09-24-2002, 12:19 AM
Drifting

The 8000k may look nice, but I will agree with everybody else...8000k bulbs do not produce more light output. I've read enough on a few forums to know that. I'm sticking with my 6000k.
Old 09-24-2002, 12:44 AM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

8000k HID bulb is clear and there's no blue coating on it. It ain't no cheap hiper bulbs. You talked a lot of bullshit and you never even seen the bulbs. What a dumbass.
Gawd damn.. that was the funniest thing I've ever heard!! LOL.. Thanks for the amusement..

No one here has insulted you.. yet.. and you're the one who has to resort to the name calling.. maybe you feel bad cuz you already spent the money on these bulbs and wanted to justify it..

Again, you should think before you talk cuz you're the one who talks a lot of bullshit.. until you can provide some reliable facts, you are not going to make a sale here.. we've never seen the pictures of the bulbs cuz you're afraid to show them.. and we all know why..

You don't even have a real automotive retail site and had to use a trader website to host it.. that right there already says SHADY..

sorry dude, good luck on the Civic forum tho.
Old 09-24-2002, 12:46 AM

8000k HID bulb is clear and there's no blue coating on it. It ain't no cheap hiper bulbs. You talked a lot of bullshit and you
never even seen the bulbs. What a dumbass.
"The Philips OEM D2S bulb is rated at 4100K at 12.8 volts and produces 3200 lumens of light. The Philips Ultinon D2S is 5800K at 12.8 volts and produces 2400 lumens of light. As you can see the brightness declines the higher up the color index you go. Vision, a Korean bulb manufacturer, makes an 8000K bulb which they used to advertise on the Acura forums as 2000 lumens bright."

Wow, its really amazing, I actually thought you could read & comprehend. Sorry, I won't make that mistake again.

BTW: Yes you're right, "I have never seen an 8000k bulb". Although, I would like to see one with more than or even equal to 3200 lumens of light. Show me anything in writing from a reputable source proving 8000k bulbs have 3200 or more lumens of light. Here's your chance...

So far the only thing you have been able to do is run your mouth and call people names. How old are you? 16 maybe 17? :shakehd: If you happen to be older than that, maybe you might want to consider acting your age.
Old 09-24-2002, 12:59 AM
Safety Car

Was the dumbass remark meant for me?? I never said that they are hiper bulbs, but if you are buying 8000k hid's, then you are basically paying for the color rather then the light output. That's why I said, "Meaning anything higher would just be a waste of money for the HID's...just go out and buy a pair of hiper bulbs if you want color, or PIAA plasmas..they come out purple and are under 100."
Old 09-24-2002, 01:31 AM

Guys, it's really hard to explain logic to someone who is ignorant. You see, not everyone can understand that 3200 is greater than 2400 or 2000 (especially when you throw in difficult words like lumen). Hey topdaytrader I have one question for you...If lumens were a synonym for dollars, would you rather have 3200, 2400 or 2000?

Maybe this will help you.

Lumen
An amount of light energy within an area. The lumen is the unit of 'luminous flux' and is defined as the amount of light which falls on one square meter of a surface at a constant distance of one meter from a source of one candela.

Luminous flux
The transfer of energy in the visible wavelength range lux The metric measurement relating to incident light that falls on a subject (10.8 lux = 1 foot-candle).

Luminous intensity
A measure of the energy from a light source emitted in a particular direction. It is measured in candelas.

Candela
Unit of luminous intensity.

Candlepower
A term that was used for intensity but has been replaced by the candela.

Kelvin
The SI unit of thermodynamic temperature. It uses the same size of degree as the Celsius scale. (Zero K = - 273°C.)
Old 09-24-2002, 02:55 AM
Pro

this thread is both funny and informative....nice
Old 09-24-2002, 01:59 PM
*Hella* isn't a word.

Topdaytrader... why don't you quote me the Lumen or Candella rating of these suppsoed "Brighter" 8000K bulbs... Higher color temperature is NOT the same as being brighter...

Maybe because ur simple mind sees that 4200K is a whopping 3800K lower than 8000K, ur rudementary association skills think that the 8000K bulb is brighter?

It's okay, we'll forgive u... :ghey:
Old 09-24-2002, 05:10 PM
O.G.

Originally posted by SFLA_Type-S
Guys, it's really hard to explain logic to someone who is ignorant. You see, not everyone can understand that 3200 is greater than 2400 or 2000 (especially when you throw in difficult words like lumen). Hey topdaytrader I have one question for you...If lumens were a synonym for dollars, would you rather have 3200, 2400 or 2000?

Maybe this will help you.

Lumen
An amount of light energy within an area. The lumen is the unit of 'luminous flux' and is defined as the amount of light which falls on one square meter of a surface at a constant distance of one meter from a source of one candela.

Luminous flux
The transfer of energy in the visible wavelength range lux The metric measurement relating to incident light that falls on a subject (10.8 lux = 1 foot-candle).

Luminous intensity
A measure of the energy from a light source emitted in a particular direction. It is measured in candelas.

Candela
Unit of luminous intensity.

Candlepower
A term that was used for intensity but has been replaced by the candela.

Kelvin
The SI unit of thermodynamic temperature. It uses the same size of degree as the Celsius scale. (Zero K = - 273°C.)
I think you just confused the shit out of him even more now.
Old 09-24-2002, 05:45 PM
Ricky: Drugs > Football

Just because someone doesnt understand number value doesnt justify making fun of them, realize that he's probably special and his mother always tells him so.
Old 09-25-2002, 09:44 AM
Pro

i'm not saying it's whiter or bluer or rainbow or whatever....

just a pic for comparison

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...ight=headlight
Old 09-25-2002, 12:03 PM
Banned

Man, I thought most members on this board will be more mature than that. Boy was I wrong. Now, I'm ashame being a CL owner.
Why is it so hard to accept someone developed HID bulbs that perform and look way better than stock? Jealous? Can't afford it? Or just those ppl w/stock HIDs just too affraid to accept the truth, that their stock HID looks cheap compare w/6000k & 8000k?

All I know is that I use them on my 01 CL & 996TT, and they look awesome!

Btw, thanks for guys that gives their real opinions.
Old 09-25-2002, 12:23 PM
Senior Moderator

No one is saying they don't look nice.. they're just saying that the actual light output is lower then stock....

BTW... thanks guys for replying... I didn't even need to respond to him.... you all educated him plenty!!
Old 09-25-2002, 01:11 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by juniorbean
No one is saying they don't look nice.. they're just saying that the actual light output is lower then stock....

We weren't saying they didn't look good.
Old 09-25-2002, 02:19 PM

Man, I thought most members on this board will be more mature than that. Boy was I wrong. Now, I'm ashame being a CL owner.
Why is it so hard to accept someone developed HID bulbs that perform and look way better than stock? Jealous? Can't afford it? Or just those ppl w/stock HIDs just too affraid to accept the truth, that their stock HID looks cheap compare w/6000k & 8000k?

All I know is that I use them on my 01 CL & 996TT, and they look awesome!

Btw, thanks for guys that gives their real opinions.
All of a sudden the most immature one here is talking about maturity.

You kill me.

BTW: As far as your "can't afford it" comment look at my signature (I have the Phillips 6000k bulbs)...More evidence that you speak before you think/read. I can tell you from personal experience that the 6000k look really nice if you are comparing "color temp", but the "light output/brightness" is less than stock.

I am not here to get into a back and forth debate with you, I was simply trying to educate you after some your ridiculous comments & insults you made to more than one person in this thread.

Then you have the nerve to comment on maturity...WTF

In closing, you still have not provided any proof to any of the claims you have made.
Old 09-25-2002, 02:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Good reply SFLA_Type-S .... and on that note.. this is closed as it's not going anywhere.....