any six speed failures and why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002 | 12:51 PM
Pro

any six speed failures and why?

everyone with six speed please respond>also what is max hp and tourque the trans can handle?
Old 11-08-2002 | 12:53 PM
Banned

nope no 6 speed failures to be had
Old 11-08-2002 | 12:59 PM
Six Speeds

no problems yet - but only 1100 miles on my car
Old 11-08-2002 | 01:51 PM
Suzuka Master

So far it's failed to give me any problems by the 3800 mark.

It's also failed to produce any lag due to the non-existant torque converter, and it has failed to unexpectedly downshift from 5th to 2nd on the highway. :P

And somehow, it has failed to get me to wipe the stupid grin off my face that I've had ever since I picked it up!
Old 11-08-2002 | 02:43 PM
Senior Moderator

I've only got 1300 on mine, and the only complaint it that sometimes I have a problem with shifting into first. I'll wait till the first oil change to complain to the dealership (might just be me needing to get used to my first FWD import).

The only 6spd problem that I've read about on acura-cl.com is :

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...ght=6spd+fluid

It's a manual transmission. What could go wrong with it ??
Old 11-08-2002 | 03:23 PM
Safety Car

7,500 mi. and nothing!
Old 11-08-2002 | 03:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

2700 miles and purring like new...except for some paint defects
Old 11-08-2002 | 03:59 PM
Safety Car

I figure ~550hp and 350 ft-lbs of torque before it breaks!!
Old 11-08-2002 | 04:20 PM
10th Gear

I've had first gear pop-outs and grinding/roughness/noise when shifting into second gear. The first gear pop-outs have gone away, but the trouble in second gear is getting worse. I'm currently at ~4250 miles.

See the following thread for a discussion on the pop-outs as well as second gear grinding:

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=74542
Old 11-08-2002 | 04:23 PM
Advanced

11k and still going
Old 11-08-2002 | 04:26 PM
Intermediate

16000 miles and no failures. i am failing to upgrade my car. i am failing to make my car faster and more "bling bling" looking. I am failing all of these things, but my car has yet to fail on me . gotta love the 6 speeds
Old 11-08-2002 | 06:48 PM
Instructor

I had a axle seal leaking when I took delivery.Apparently the seal wasn't seated all the way.They replaced the seal and all is well.
Old 11-09-2002 | 05:39 AM
10th Gear

I've had the problem with grinding going into 2nd and very slightly when going into 4th. No pop outs. It doesn't happen all the time and is a little worse when cold. Double clutching or letting it hang in neutral for a second fixes it. I haven't brought it to the dealer because I hate the thought and would prefer not to have them experiment on mine to find a fix.
However, Honda definitely knows about it and is worried. I had put it on my survey that they sent and I got a call from American Honda last week specifically asking about this problem. They had me on the phone for about 10 minutes asking all about it and asked if I would be willing to have a Honda engineer drive it. Unfortunately, I have put the car away for the winter now, so if they call back, I wont be able to let them drive it until spring. I don't think this is a huge problem for my car, but it concerns me that it may get worse.
Old 11-09-2002 | 07:58 AM
Suzuka Master

I'm no tranny expert, but could the grinding be a problem with the sychronizers? I'm assuming that the clutch is fully depressed.
Old 11-09-2002 | 10:54 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Stock03CLS
I'm no tranny expert, but could the grinding be a problem with the sychronizers? I'm assuming that the clutch is fully depressed.
See the thread (link above) for more info on grinding and popping. My CL 6spd grinds into 2nd every now and then, but only under hard acceleration (shifting past 6k). And yes, the clutch is in.... I was able to reproduce it ONCE (not w/ the dealer) by just shifting from 1st to 2nd and keeping the clutch on the floor so I know I'm not hanging the clutch.

I don't have problems w/ popping out of 1st during normal driving conditions.... only when I'm trying to do it.

Only thing I've noticed lately is that when coasting in 4th, there's a very noticable shimmy in the stick. Wouldn't think anything of it, but it only happens in 4th. I still love the car, 6spd rocks.

-- Nihil
Old 11-09-2002 | 11:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

I've never had it pop out of gear but I definitely have the 2nd and 4th grind. 2nd is much worse and much more consistent. Oddly, it seems to happen worse at lower rpm than higher. I've had two dealers look at it and both claim its fine.
Old 11-11-2002 | 08:09 PM
Pro

Originally posted by 6spNewbie
I've had first gear pop-outs and grinding/roughness/noise when shifting into second gear. The first gear pop-outs have gone away, but the trouble in second gear is getting worse. I'm currently at ~4250 miles.

See the following thread for a discussion on the pop-outs as well as second gear grinding:

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=74542
I've noticed that when going into first, it feels like 2 notches. I've only had it pop out of first once, and that's because I never shoved it in all the way (1st notch only).

It makes a HUGE difference how hot the tranny is when shifting. If I drive around for a couple of hours, all gears feel really good. When cold, 1st and 2nd are notchy....

:P
Old 11-12-2002 | 07:49 AM
Suzuka Master

What I don't get about the pop-outs is why people are doing things that would cause the pop-outs.

It seemed that most, if not all, of the people complaining of 1st gear pop-outs were "driving" with a very low engine speed and the clutch pedal all the way out to the point where the car starts to lurch like it's being driven by a high-schooler in Driver's Ed. on his first day in a stick. Seems to me that might not be the best way to treat one's engine or tranny....or passengers.

Over my years of driving stick, I have found there are definitely conditions where it becomes quite easy to pop the car out of gear without the clutch, sometimes to the point where the springs on the shifter and the inertial forces on the car are enough to cause the pop-out. What I don't understand is, why someone would actually *want* to do those things.

Under normal conditions, the shifter doesn't pop out of gear. In any car.
Old 11-12-2002 | 08:02 AM
Team Owner

It seemed that most, if not all, of the people complaining of 1st gear pop-outs were "driving" with a very low engine speed and the clutch pedal all the way out to the point where the car starts to lurch like it's being driven by a high-schooler in Driver's Ed. on his first day in a stick.
GOOD ONE...

PS.... For the record, not a SINGLE problem with my 6-Speed.

Shawn S
Old 11-12-2002 | 08:50 AM
Instructor

yes, it seems to me that the only problems with the manual trans. are USER errors
Old 11-12-2002 | 08:59 AM
im back

I'm up to 16k and i got no problems...but every once in a while like what was said the tranny grinds 2nd, but it happens.
Old 11-12-2002 | 09:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Wires
I've noticed that when going into first, it feels like 2 notches.
I'm not convinced that all the problems are user error

My other standard tranny vehicle is a 79 VW bus, which is not exactly known for it smooth and percise stick shift.

I definitely have a problem with going into first gear (It's worst when the car is cold). I have to guide it into 1st while the other gears sort of just fall into place.

I don't have a problem with pop-outs tho'
Old 11-12-2002 | 10:19 AM
Instructor

rob-g its the way you're shifting... it was doing it to me too when i shifted aggresively in high rpms.. but i realized why.. it's cause you're pulling slightly towards yourself on an angle when you shift into second.. try pulling straight down.. same with going from 5th to sixth..instead of pushing away and down, i changed my shifting habits and it is shifting beautifully in high rpm range.. it just doesnt take any shit.. same with the clutch.. once you get it though..mmMhmMm the six speed cL is definitely a drivers car.. i love the thing
Old 11-12-2002 | 10:30 AM
im back

probably, but like i said it does it once a while, like once or twice a month
Old 11-12-2002 | 05:53 PM
Pro

What I don't get about the pop-outs is why people are doing things that would cause the pop-outs.

It seemed that most, if not all, of the people complaining of 1st gear pop-outs were "driving" with a very low engine speed and the clutch pedal all the way out to the point where the car starts to lurch like it's being driven by a high-schooler in Driver's Ed. on his first day in a stick. Seems to me that might not be the best way to treat one's engine or tranny....or passengers.

Over my years of driving stick, I have found there are definitely conditions where it becomes quite easy to pop the car out of gear without the clutch, sometimes to the point where the springs on the shifter and the inertial forces on the car are enough to cause the pop-out. What I don't understand is, why someone would actually *want* to do those things.

I only had it happen once, and I think it's because I didn't get the shifter all the way into first (like I said above, it feels like 2 notches when going into first when cold). I let the clutch out slowly (was in a drive thru), the car started forward, there was a bang, and I was back in neutral. I'm a little confused why 1st feels like that. I can understand tight and hard to engage, but the dual notch thing baffles me.
Old 11-12-2002 | 07:07 PM
Working with Lumberg.

Almost 90 miles and no problems here (yes only 90 miles).

The only issue I have is waiting 510 more miles before I can PUNCH it!!!
Old 11-12-2002 | 09:11 PM
go like hell

my dad works for Honda of America and he told me the 6-speed for V-6s(like yours and soon to be V-6 Accord 6 speed) they are built in Japan.
the place that builds the Automatics is like 5-6 miles from my house. guessing on your car probably when it's about 5-6 years your clutch will be toasted. Probably at the same time you'll have to change your timing belt/water pump(this is also know as the 90-100 thousand mile "checkup") (usually around this time your clutches start to get "weak" and start to slip a little. but don't be discouraged by this any car with 3 petals around 100,000 miles (unless they have the clutch from hell) they gotta swap in a new clutch.

hey guys be glad you don't own a viper. I had a friend who his dad is EXTREMELY loaded he had(key word here) a nice viper he drove it like a moron(like rev it up and dump the clutch,and speed shift it) anyhow he toasted the clutch(after the warrenty was off), (he bought the car RIGHT OFF THE DEALER'S SHOWROOM FLOOR) and it still cost him for a clutch job 10,000 BUCKS. he paid the 10 grand but the next week he sold it
Old 11-13-2002 | 07:51 AM
Suzuka Master

FWIW, I tried to make the gears grind in 2nd/4th last night but I couldn't reproduce it.

Another thing: a cold MT, in other words an MT that's been sitting in cold ambient temperatures, tend to feel a little...thick. My Prelude was like that in cold weather (< 30's) until I drove it a bit to warm it all up. It was harder to shift in general and definitely harder to get into the lower gears. I haven't had my CL in weather that cold yet, but I expect a similar feel. I think this is normal and to be expected. The think with an MT is that we as drivers are now much more aware of the tranny than if we were driving an AT. As such, things like cold-weather notchiness and such are much more noticeable for us than in a modern AT, where the tranny itself decides when to shift, thus shielding us from the directly linked sensations associated with an MT.
Old 11-14-2002 | 10:02 PM
Instructor

WTF? Man, you don't know what you're talking about. Maybe you should read the other post in its original context.

Because if you ever are trying to get the dealer to fix something, you have to demonstrate it. You know, most dealers won't just take your word for something and do a $5k fix for free.

Actually, you didn't even get this part right. Do you know how to downshift? Most people that can drive stick can downshift from 1st to 2nd w/o lurching the car. Actually, it's a technique you can use during aggressive driving--not uncommon. Granted, most people don't do this during casual driving, but it's not to be confused with someone that's learning to drive stick.

Again, you would WANT this to happen if you have the dealer's technician sitting beside you and he has to witness it before he'll take a look.

I've never owned a car w/ an automatic. I'm not a newbie driver. I don't lurch the car. I don't miss gears. etc. I am able to tell when something feels different with a car. Being a NEW car, I expect it to feel and perform at its best.

You're correct, manual transmissions are not supposed to pop out of gear under normal conditions. Then again, automatic transmissions are not supposed to slip, or jump gears, or any of the other things the CLs w/ slushboxes experience. Are you going to sit there and tell all of them they don't know how to drive an automatic?

The slushbox problems affect ~1%. The point of this forum is to reach out to other owners and see if others have experienced similar problems. If you haven't, good for you. But to sit there and criticize people having bonafide problems, piss off.
Old 11-14-2002 | 11:10 PM
Suzuka Master

If you are going to get a replacement tranny, it's rather enlightening to see how you can pull the shifter out of gear, with the clutch engaged, and with one or two fingers. The technique, when used with a soon-to-be junked manual transmission makes for excellent "crash-box" practice; the goal being to shift without the clutch and not abuse the gearbox or make a single grinding sound.

When you back off the power to just the right point where the net force is zero going across the transmission, the shifter can generally be pulled out with very little effort. If it weren’t that way, people would complain about how hard it was to rip-off quick shifts. BTW, I'm not talking about abuse or speed shifting.
Old 11-14-2002 | 11:21 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by Nihilistan
Most people that can drive stick can downshift from 1st to 2nd w/o lurching the car. Actually, it's a technique you can use during aggressive driving--not uncommon.
DOWN-shifting from 1st to 2nd ???
Old 11-14-2002 | 11:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Shawn S
DOWN-shifting from 1st to 2nd ???

DOWN-shifting

Definition: Agressive use of high end manual transmission causing the user or operator to shift from their first choice in vehicle to a second vehicle due to extensive and premature wear.

See: DOWN-grade

Old 11-15-2002 | 04:43 PM
2nd Gear

Anybody's 6- speed pull to the left while cruising?
Old 11-15-2002 | 09:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Nihilistan
WTF? Man, you don't know what you're talking about. Maybe you should read the other post in its original context.
You mean this one?

Originally posted by Kalin
For those of us with the 6-sp tranny, has anyone experienced first gear pop-outs? Mine will pop out of first if I coast to a low RPM (when the car starts to do the low rpm first gear wiggle).
Yeah, I read it. And?

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because if you ever are trying to get the dealer to fix something, you have to demonstrate it. You know, most dealers won't just take your word for something and do a $5k fix for free.
What is there to fix? The dealer can't make someone a better driver.

quote:

Actually, you didn't even get this part right. Do you know how to downshift? Most people that can drive stick can downshift from 1st to 2nd w/o lurching the car. Actually, it's a technique you can use during aggressive driving--not uncommon. Granted, most people don't do this during casual driving, but it's not to be confused with someone that's learning to drive stick.
Oh, but it is you who didn't get it right. One does not downshift from 1st to 2nd. That's upshifting or just plain shifting.

But, since you brought it up, I do downshift as a matter of course whenever slowing down. Several times/day. Most commonly from 3rd to 2nd. IMHO, 2nd to 1st is not a good thing unless the car is going REALLY slow. I don't like to stress the machinery like that.

Also, IMHO, if the car is in any gear and the RPMs are low enough to make the car lurch, that clutch should be IN. Call me crazy, but it seems like a good practice to me.

quote:

Again, you would WANT this to happen if you have the dealer's technician sitting beside you and he has to witness it before he'll take a look.

Take a look at what? The newbie behind the wheel?

A car popping out of gear while driving normally is a significant problem. A car popping out of gear while doing the automotive version of the Bunny Hop is a problem with the driver, not the vehicle.

I've never owned a car w/ an automatic. I'm not a newbie driver. I don't lurch the car. I don't miss gears. etc. I am able to tell when something feels different with a car. Being a NEW car, I expect it to feel and perform at its best.
Good for you. Neither have I. And I learned to drive in a stick. A '81 Honda Accord, to be exact. In the snow, no less. What's your point?

You're correct, manual transmissions are not supposed to pop out of gear under normal conditions. Then again, automatic transmissions are not supposed to slip, or jump gears, or any of the other things the CLs w/ slushboxes experience. Are you going to sit there and tell all of them they don't know how to drive an automatic?
I'm not saying anything about the AT problems, nor did I imply anything about the people who have them or are experiencing the problems associated with them. But since you brought it up....

The AT problems are failures due to no fault or actions by the driver and they occur under normal driving conditions. There does not appear to be anything the driver has done or can do in order to precipitate such a failure. It is a weakness in the design and has been acknowledged by the manufacturer.

By way of contrast, doing the herky-jerky 1st gear lurch is NOT a normal way to drive stick, and it IS caused by the driver.

If someone were driving, normally, especially at a speed where the car moves smoothly, and the car were to pop out of gear, that would get my attention, as that would be a serious problem. And believe me, I'd be lining up to raise a stink with Acura over that.

But that's not the case, is it. Read the threads yourself. The car doesn't pop out unless the people are TRYING to get it to pop out. Where oh where is the problem???

The slushbox problems affect ~1%. The point of this forum is to reach out to other owners and see if others have experienced similar problems. If you haven't, good for you. But to sit there and criticize people having bonafide problems, piss off.
Focus, please. I'm not talking about the AT problems, nor did I imply anything about them. As for the 6-speed manuals, I'm not hearing any real problem with the mechanical part of the equation with respect to popping out.

The truth is, you should be able to pop a car out of gear in any gear at any speed without the clutch. Some speeds will be easier than others, but it can still be done. At that magic speed, that shift lever is really simple to pull out of gear. This is normal, not a problem. Those who are really good can also get the car back into gear without the clutch. It can be done if you match the wheel speed and engine speed precicely. But you shouldn't have the car pop out on its own under normal driving, even aggressive driving, under any circumstances. So far, I haven't read anything about that. When there is, I'll be concerned.

The "problem" here seems to be with the driver, not the car, unless it's suddenly become normal to lurch the car back and forth. Funny, but I don't remember THAT from Driver's Ed. Of course, it's been a while.

Any criticisms or generalizations I have made about the pop-out situation haven't been nearly as scathing or pointed as the retorts you have leveled at me. And, I don't believe I have personally attacked you or your driving style, so back the hell off, buddy!
Old 11-16-2002 | 09:27 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

wow that's the longest post ever...