any news bout the new 5?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002 | 07:32 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

any news bout the new 5?

with the recent realease of the newly redisgned 7 that leaves only ONE model line left. i havent heard ANYTHING about the new 5 let alone seen any spy photos. there's everything floating around about model lines that arent even out yet but nothing about the incredible 5 series. can anyone tell me whats going on? ANY spy photos AT ALL? and is there a release period, b/c a while ago i heard about a winter 2002 release but that's fairly close and like ive said i havent seen anything. im just getting a lil antsy.
Old 04-08-2002 | 10:02 PM
Duck Fuke!

5 series

saw a computer enhanced pic today in may issue of R&T......pg 47
Old 04-08-2002 | 10:09 PM
Capo di Tutti Capi

Re: 5 series

Originally posted by jts1207
saw a computer enhanced pic today in may issue of R&T......pg 47
That picture, along with the new 7 confirm my feeling that BMW is going to hell in a handbasket. That 5's front is a ugly as the new 7's rear. What are they thinking?
Old 04-09-2002 | 03:15 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: Re: 5 series

Originally posted by Klamalama

That picture, along with the new 7 confirm my feeling that BMW is going to hell in a handbasket. That 5's front is a ugly as the new 7's rear. What are they thinking?

umm they were also thinking 5.0L V10 for the M5, and I read AWD as a option too

Ya I was wondering about the front too. I have the mag laying here next to me. I'll scan it later.
Old 04-09-2002 | 03:19 AM
Moderator Alumnus

http://news24.co.za/News24/Wheels24/...144269,00.html

No need to scan. Plus the mag I have doesn't have a rear view like this does.
Old 04-09-2002 | 05:54 AM
- daemonichris -

hmm... just a mini 7-series to me...
Old 04-09-2002 | 07:21 AM
Suzuka Master

yuck...

Definitely just looks like a shrunk 7 series
Old 04-09-2002 | 09:43 AM
Racer

Have any of u seen the new 7 in real ife and up close? They look fukkin nice!! And just from these pics of the new 5, it looks real good too. Don't know why evertbody says they're ugly. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 04-09-2002 | 10:43 AM
I Feel Too Old Here

Originally posted by mikegunnz
Have any of u seen the new 7 in real ife and up close? They look fukkin nice!! And just from these pics of the new 5, it looks real good too. Don't know why evertbody says they're ugly. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
yeah im with you, i think the new 7 3 and now the 5 is BEAUTIFUL. i'll take one. maybe the design concept is ahead of the game. most companies have "show cars" or "concept cars" or "concept designs" that they never produce, i think BMW is doing a great job of puttin in the showroom and on the road the beautiful things we see them put at car shows. keep it up.
one thing the 5 needs is the 4.4 V8 from the 745 and a new bigger 6 pot for the 5 and 3 but that probably wont happen.
Old 04-09-2002 | 02:38 PM
Capo di Tutti Capi

I've seen it close and the butt is, well it's butt ugly. Now the 5 seems like a smaller version of it: smaller ugly butt.

BTW, did I forget to mention it's butt ugly?
Old 04-09-2002 | 02:43 PM
Burn some dust here

I personally think the new 7 is gorgeous, but you know what guys, BMW could give a shit about guys on a CL board bitching about their cars. Are their cars selling? YES. They selling better than Acuras? YES. Obviously they are doing something right as a manufacturer.
Old 04-09-2002 | 03:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by cob3683
I personally think the new 7 is gorgeous, but you know what guys, BMW could give a shit about guys on a CL board bitching about their cars. Are their cars selling? YES. They selling better than Acuras? YES. Obviously they are doing something right as a manufacturer.
amen.

Im not too keen on their new styling either, but I totally agree with you.

BUT! the new 7 in person looks TOTALLY BADASS! But ugly in pictures. Guess its just not photogenic.
Old 04-09-2002 | 03:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

The new 7's sales are down almost 50% in Germany, but thats not their main market for that model anyway. Sales are starting to flatten out for the new 7 in the States, going by what my friend/salesperson tells me.

People jumped on it at first....but demand is starting to slide.

The rear is still an abomination on that car.
Old 04-09-2002 | 03:33 PM
Racer

Agreed, that car is awesome.
I love the exterior, the only gripe I have is that the interior is a little to plain for me but, still nice.
Old 04-09-2002 | 03:46 PM
Suzuka Master

BMW needs to fire Chris Bangle ASAP. He is ruining the company with his ugly designs and stupid marketing. For example he wants to change the M3 to the M4 and Z3 to Z4. Changing the name of the M3 is like changing the name of the Corvette. It just shouldnt be done.
Old 04-09-2002 | 05:29 PM
Burn some dust here

Originally posted by Maximized
BMW needs to fire Chris Bangle ASAP. He is ruining the company with his ugly designs and stupid marketing. For example he wants to change the M3 to the M4 and Z3 to Z4. Changing the name of the M3 is like changing the name of the Corvette. It just shouldnt be done.
Where does it say he wants to change the name?
Old 04-09-2002 | 05:41 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

i never heard bout that. a good solution to this lil "problem" is why doesnt BMW listen to the people that buy the cars and start looking into modifying the rear a bit. and that 5 is definitley NOT ugly at all. i doubt that BMW would EVER change it from 3 to 4 thats rediculous BS. the marketing is good. i have NO problem with this dude Chris Bangle, as long as BMW doesnt turn into Honda Toyota area and stays competing with MB its all good. they have made what the general populous deems a "mistake" in the styling of the rear. now the mark of a great company is if they can learn and correct. any forward thinking and "outside the box" thinking is going to be rejected and thought poorly of at first, give BMW time they will get it together.

I love the cars BMW makes and would take any new 5 7 6 X coupe or 3 (not the 4 pots just 330) coupe, flame styling type offered to me.
Old 04-09-2002 | 05:44 PM
foe
Racer

Originally posted by SiGGy
http://news24.co.za/News24/Wheels24/...144269,00.html

No need to scan. Plus the mag I have doesn't have a rear view like this does.
fugly
Old 04-09-2002 | 05:56 PM
Burn some dust here

I think most people will only find that its ugly because it doesnt have "H" or "A" for its logo. Which is sad really. I think its awesome looking personally.
Old 04-09-2002 | 06:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by cob3683

Where does it say he wants to change the name?
It was in Road and Track last month I believe and my friend told me too. He is a member of bimmer.org and they were talking about it over there.
Old 04-09-2002 | 06:03 PM
Senior Moderator

The 7 is bad ass.. in person it stands out big time, very nice!!!
Only thing ugly is the interior.. i sat in one and i still think the interior isnt that great, then again most BMWs having boring interiors. IMO
Old 04-09-2002 | 06:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Crazy AcurA
The 7 is bad ass.. in person it stands out big time, very nice!!!
Only thing ugly is the interior.. i sat in one and i still think the interior isnt that great, then again most BMWs having boring interiors. IMO
ok, so you have me wondering... Who makes your favorite interior, or one that really appeals to you? (im just curous, I find the BMW to have a nice interior, and I just want to see what you would prefer manufacturer wise)
Old 04-09-2002 | 07:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by SiGGy

ok, so you have me wondering... Who makes your favorite interior, or one that really appeals to you? (im just curous, I find the BMW to have a nice interior, and I just want to see what you would prefer manufacturer wise)
yea i know im weird... im just real picky on how the layouts are. I love most of the Benz's interior.. and i just LOVEE the look of the jaguars. I just like more classy style and simple designs.
Old 04-09-2002 | 08:48 PM
Instructor

Amen!!!!!!! After seeing the 1-series in the latest issue of one of my car rags, I had to go throw up! The E46 (3-series) started out life as an excellent evolution of the classic 3-series shape. Seen a 2002 model? Ick :p
Old 04-09-2002 | 09:26 PM
Suzuka Master

I have personally seen quite a few of the new 7 series on the road here in Stamford/Greenwich CT. Black, white, silver...

No matter what color, it's still hideous. It's the worst from the back, but I definitely think a late model 7 series is MUCH nicer.

Again, this is only my opinion, but I think it will show up in the sales #'s.

For all of you that love it, cool. At least they tried something different
Old 04-09-2002 | 09:39 PM
Advanced

7 series is an impressive design from the ground up and you gotta believe that they market tested the hell out of the shape. Having said that, I parked next to one the other weekend and to me the 7's trunk has reflectors that look like what truckers would call "conspicuity tape" on it and their "I" drive is given thumbs down even in their friendly reviews as being too complex. May be they are ahead of the curve too much or perhaps they struck out. Every design goes cold sometimes. They all start looking so similar, though. VW/Audi and BMW, gotta get close with that new 5 to tell them part. They used to say that "form is function" and I guess that's the end result.
Of course, this is only my opinion. I could be wrong.
Old 04-09-2002 | 09:50 PM
mister D

Anyone have any hi res pictures?
Old 04-09-2002 | 11:05 PM
6th Gear

Ive been reading the M3 boards alot in the last couple days and they seem to hate Bangle quite intensly. Personally, I think the car is amazing, perhaps a bit ahead of its time. The cars probably did not need a redesign just yet. People loved them the way they were. I hate the old 7, it looks like a big 5, but its just too big. I love the new 3. The M5 may be the best car for all purposes in the world.

I always hate knew designs at first, then after a few months I couldnt imagine buying the older version. The way BMW is going with the computer controls will be mainstream for all luxery cars in the near future. People cant use them yet because they are ignorent to the capabilities and functions. Much like any other sophisticated piece of computer equipment it takes time.

I WANT AN M3 SO FUCKING BAD!
Old 04-10-2002 | 09:03 AM
Racer

Whether you love or hate the styling, one thing that has been said by the entire automotive world is that:
No other car DRIVES like a BMW. Personally, I agree and I don't think you can argue that BMW owns everybody when it come to pure driving.
Old 04-10-2002 | 11:17 AM
Burn some dust here

Whether you love or hate the styling, one thing that has been said by the entire automotive world is that:
No other car DRIVES like a BMW. Personally, I agree and I don't think you can argue that BMW owns everybody when it come to pure driving.
I agree with 100% there. Well, I would take a XJR over a 7 series after driving my dads a couple times. But other than that, find a better car in any category theyre in.