Another Dead Tranny??? Read on..

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 06:12 PM
Silver Bullet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Dead Tranny??? Read on..

Decide to take a road trip for the long weekend from Long Island up to Syracuse, to see my brother this weekend. Somewhere near Turning Stone, I am driving at 80 mph and all of a sudden the car jerks and pulls back a bit, the speedometer goes down to zero, the RPMs increase, the check engine light goes on, VSA off light goes on, maintenance required light goes on and the D5 light starts flashing. Pretty much the same shit that happened when my first tranny went. So I pull over and try and put the car in park, shifter wouldnt go back past neutral. So I decide to drive the remaining 20 miles to Syracuse. The car would not shift past 3rd gear and I could not use the manual mode. So I get to Syracuse and call Acura customer care and they tell me that the Acura Service Dept. in the area are all closed until Tuesday morning. This whole time I am thinking that I am going to have to leave the car at the nearest dealer and have to come back to Syracuse and pick it up once they replaced the Tranny.

I wake up today (Saturday) and drive the car to the dealer to talk to the sales guys to see if they can hook me up with a loaner. Car is driving like normal except for the fact that the check engine light was on. No slippage or anything, unlike the first time my tranny went. I get to the dealer and the service dept is open til noon. Tell them the deal and they offer to look at the car, but told me to plan on leaving it here and taking a loaner. They thought it was the Tranny too. Anyway they check it out and it turns out that the Counter Shaft Speed Sensor went bad and they had the part in stock. Not sure if this has happened to anyone on the forum, but this is the first time I have heard of this part going bad. I was so positive that it was another bad tranny, I was so pissed and started thinking about trading in the car again :-).
Old 05-29-2004, 08:45 PM
Semper Fi

Well, welcome to Syracuse, anyway.

I assume that you went to Crest Acura. That's where I bought my cls, and I've found them to both competent and fair. Sounds like they took good care of you.

Enjoy your weekend. At least it's not the normal crappy Syracuse weather this weekend (so far).
Old 05-30-2004, 05:15 AM
13.68 @ 102.56

Sounds like it was a pretty simple repair. I'd be thankful for that one.
Old 05-30-2004, 04:07 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good to hear it wasn't the tranny and all is well now.

None the less i can really see why some people have such a sour taste in their mouth when it comes to Acura.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:33 AM
Silver Bullet

Originally posted by Lester_leaps_in
Well, welcome to Syracuse, anyway.

I assume that you went to Crest Acura. That's where I bought my cls, and I've found them to both competent and fair. Sounds like they took good care of you.

Enjoy your weekend. At least it's not the normal crappy Syracuse weather this weekend (so far).
Yeah I went to Crest Acura, they were great. I would never have gotten service like that in Long island. If I was here they would have told me to leave it and they would get back to me in a few days.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:41 AM
Silver Bullet

Originally posted by Chaptorial
Good to hear it wasn't the tranny and all is well now.

None the less i can really see why some people have such a sour taste in their mouth when it comes to Acura.
Yea I was very pissed when it happened, I would have put money down that it was a tranny failure. The mechanic thought it was as well after I spoke to him. Anyway it was the first time he had to replace the speed sensor. Just glad they had the part in stock and they were open on a Saturday.

I am hoping Acura has finally fixed the problem with the last update, but I am still hearing of a lot of people still having problems. Still very happy with Acura overall.

That reminds me, while I was waiting for them to look at my car. I was talking to a sales guy about the new RL and how it will have awd. He mentioned that the new TL has a much larger hump on the floor of the rear seats than the old TL did and that acura was probably going to an AWD for the TL in the near future. :-)