Another CL-S 6 w/blown motor.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 08:57 PM
CL-SEXY SIX (=

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another CL-S 6 w/blown motor.

I didn't exactly blow the motor; but i spun the rod bearing merging onto the freeway.
I heard a big rattle and i let off. So when i reached a stop light i revved it alittle bit...and i was hearing the knocking. Atfirst i thought it was my cat that went into pieces; so i lifted the car up and started tapping my exhaust to see if anytihng was loose. Nothing.

The motor is done and she was almost finished. I spent all my time and money on her...now its worth nothing!

I'm going to pull out the oil pan to see which bearing it is exactly...

I don;t even know what i should do at this point...
part the car out?
sell it whole?
Fix bearing and crankshaft?
or drop in used motor?

i thought my supra days were over with the overhauls..apparently not.

I think im just going to get a toyota or lexus and call it a day...
Old 07-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Your mom is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
holy shit.....sorry to hear that man...
Old 07-15-2008, 09:17 PM
i heart latin chicks

Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts
drop in used motor, you can find j32a2's on ebay for like 600 bones
Old 07-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Advanced

used motor with a supercharger
Old 07-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OHHH thats painful! Would you be able/willing to pass on any symptoms of the problem to the rest of the 6speeders?!? Oh and just do the swap and sell it
Old 07-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Don't Mess With Texas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ernie01acura
used motor with a supercharger
read sig. he already has an SC. did you have the system tuned properly, or were you just running without a tune and hoping for the best....if so then you asked for it. these motors really need a tune with the SC to run right.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
After about what, $7,000 to $10,000 in mods that you have done to your car.

What is an extra $1,500 to fix the engine?

Not saying its chump change, but the amount of mods you have, you aren't going to get the value that you want especially since you still will need to buy another car.

Drop the $1,500 and get it fixed.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
sorry to hear that man. hate to see a 6speed go down. +1 on what pits said.
but if you decide to part out i'm interested in the charger. pm me if you do. good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:06 PM
Race Director

Sorry to hear that. Best of luck to you.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

thats it. im getting a tune.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:47 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,992 Likes on 1,366 Posts
Sorry to hear. How many miles on your engine?
Old 07-15-2008, 10:56 PM
CL-SEXY SIX (=

my biggest mistake was not getting it tuned on time; i already had the emanage and boomslang harness sitting on my desk....but i never got the time. I work two jobs 7 days a week 13 hours a day.
I always say next week; another factor in this is, it is so hard to find a reputable tune shop here in NYC that has done a j32.

I am really considering a part out; yet it would be such a waste after all i have done.
I don't even have time to do the swap and i really don't feel comfortable with an outside shop working on my car.

very very depressed )= ...

i actually knew i was beginning to have a problem when my car working pretty hard to pull on a 328 and the following day it worked pretty dam hard to pull on a ford escape.....wtf.

there was really no symptoms it just happened, i don't know if it was the new parking attendant that kept stalling my car or no tune...

what could i do to get back most of my money worth?
Old 07-15-2008, 11:00 PM
CL-SEXY SIX (=

Originally Posted by GrandeInter10
YES TUNE IT> TOMMOROW
Old 07-15-2008, 11:00 PM
CL-SEXY SIX (=

Originally Posted by e30cabrio
Sorry to hear. How many miles on your engine?
Old 07-15-2008, 11:19 PM
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Originally Posted by Harrisonk531616
my biggest mistake was not getting it tuned on time; i already had the emanage and boomslang harness sitting on my desk....but i never got the time. I work two jobs 7 days a week 13 hours a day.
I always say next week; another factor in this is, it is so hard to find a reputable tune shop here in NYC that has done a j32.

I am really considering a part out; yet it would be such a waste after all i have done.
I don't even have time to do the swap and i really don't feel comfortable with an outside shop working on my car.

i actually knew i was beginning to have a problem when my car working pretty hard to pull on a 328 and the following day it worked pretty dam hard to pull on a ford escape.....wtf.

there was really no symptoms it just happened, i don't know if it was the new parking attendant that kept stalling my car or no tune...

get back on the horse and find a new j32 bro. dont let it all go to waste. no matter what you do you'll never get back the amount of money you put into it so why not just go all out?
Old 07-15-2008, 11:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts
Get a new engine. Its gonna be pennies compared to the mods and effort you put in.
This time get it tuned or take off the supercharger.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:01 AM
Pro

im going 3.5 so if you need a block pm me. im going to be taking the whole j32a2 bottom block out, and its from a 03 6speed.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:56 AM
B A N N E D

Buy a new car.............
Old 07-16-2008, 08:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Did you have the high boost pulley installed? From your sig, it doesn't specify.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
i know how u feel...Im SCed & I blew my motor back in april..My front main seal blew oil causeing a drop in oil pressure which threw a rod though the block and the valves crashed into the pistons. Luckily when i bought my car i purchased the extended warranty and got a new engine under that. I was extremely blessed. Its not much to put a used engine back into the car but to get the most of ur $$$ back you wou;ld have to part out the whole vehicle. I mean tranny and everything. There are plenty of ppl out here willing to pay good $$$ for a 6spd tranny. If you do decide to part out ill take the emanage and harness off ur hands. But just do what you feel. I know you are probably sad and just wana say fuck it but just see how much you could get for the blower,6spd tranny, and miscellaneous mods as compared to what ud pay for the used motor to b put in and then make ur decision. Good luck and lemme kno if u dnt wnt that emanage
Old 07-16-2008, 08:56 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You should figure out what the problem is before you make a decision. If it's just a single rod bearing that's spun and the crank can be repaired you could definitely get it fixed without breaking the bank. If it is indeed a rod bearing, I don't see how tuning the engine could have anything to do with the failure. For that you'd be looking at either an oil starvation problem or the fact that bottom end was just to wimpy to handle the extra power.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:59 AM
i heart latin chicks

Originally Posted by GrandeInter10
Old 07-16-2008, 09:00 AM
i heart latin chicks

hit up rondy, he's running the charger, he's in nyc
Old 07-16-2008, 09:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Did you have the basic SC'er or with the HBP? Cause everything I've read says you don't need tuning with the basic super charger package. That's what CT claims.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
I had mine tuned at the lab, same place that installed it.

BTW, what pulley or how many bs of boost were you running?
Old 07-16-2008, 10:23 AM
i heart latin chicks

sorry to hijack thread, but rondy, your avitar is buck nasty

could have been sent in a PM, but I'm too lazy
Old 07-16-2008, 10:40 AM
CL-SEXY SIX (=

Originally Posted by L's TL
i know how u feel...Im SCed & I blew my motor back in april..My front main seal blew oil causeing a drop in oil pressure which threw a rod though the block and the valves crashed into the pistons. Luckily when i bought my car i purchased the extended warranty and got a new engine under that. I was extremely blessed. Its not much to put a used engine back into the car but to get the most of ur $$$ back you wou;ld have to part out the whole vehicle. I mean tranny and everything. There are plenty of ppl out here willing to pay good $$$ for a 6spd tranny. If you do decide to part out ill take the emanage and harness off ur hands. But just do what you feel. I know you are probably sad and just wana say fuck it but just see how much you could get for the blower,6spd tranny, and miscellaneous mods as compared to what ud pay for the used motor to b put in and then make ur decision. Good luck and lemme kno if u dnt wnt that emanage

i was running standard boost pulley; everything was stock except for the P2R intake plenums...imrc was plugged in...was just running the ESM.

The sad part was ever since i installed the supercharger my car has been sitting in my shop or my garage with problems...

first off she wasn't running right from the day i put it in...after tampering with misc. things i got her running.
200 miles afterwards the supercharger was leaking oil, so i had to send it back to comptech to get it fixed.
following that i've been getting multiple misfire codes; so i got all the necc. parts to get her running right again; coils, primary+secondary O2 sensors, Idle air control valve and pcv valve.

so basically i only got 400 miles out of the supercharger since May 31st.
i received the blower on my birthday and spent the whole day putting it in.

sigh*
Old 07-16-2008, 10:43 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
hmmm... maybe the engine was on its way out and the charger just pushed it sooner..
Old 07-16-2008, 10:59 AM
CL-SEXY SIX (=

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
Did you have the basic SC'er or with the HBP? Cause everything I've read says you don't need tuning with the basic super charger package. That's what CT claims.
At this point i would think it is VERY necessary to tune with any FI application to our motors.
I am not understating whatever comptech claims...but they did say its "recommended" that our cars be tuned after the installation.

I really don't know what went wrong. And how the bearing spun.
and i am crazy about preventive maint.

its beyond the fact preventive maint. don't be fooled by the use of synthetic oil! it will not make your motor bulletproof lol.

just a brief history on my car; i will post pictures of it afterwards.

-bought her for $17k with 50k miles;
-changed clutch, master and slave
-all motor mounts were changed
where the modding begins
-all N/A mods available and i dynoed at 249whp
Got all my dents and scratches fixed at the body shop $1200
-went through two sets of wheels; 5zigen5zrs then now my 19" TE37s <$3200
TE37s went through two sets of tires; $1000
- went through 3 sets of exhausts; HKS, Tanabe Catback and now my Comptech (stupid with the exhaust i know..no need for flaming).
-front and rear BBK upgrade
-rear stabilizer bar, front strut tower bar
-Tein coilovers
-headers, intake

hungry for more power
-installed supercharger
didn't even get a chance to dyno it.

I guess when you actually have the money to mod your car, thats when you don't even have the time to enjoy it. Because your still too busy making it.
And when you don't have the time to enjoy it, you won't even have the time to fix everything properly.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:05 AM
CL-SEXY SIX (=

Do you guys think i should just run this motor to ground for now?

i did not even boost that often because i know she wasn't tuned.
i usually shifted under 2500k and have the people behind me honked and get all pissed off (thats nyc for you).

i did not beat on her at all with the sc. Never even touched 6500.

And i planned a trip to montreal with her this coming week. And i doubt she will make it there without the piston crashing into the head. Not even a question.

onto of all this i even spent a whole 2 days doing the OEM navi installation. ripped apart the whole interior and wiring everything up. didnt even get to enjoy that!
Old 07-16-2008, 11:13 AM
Don't Mess With Texas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you had a supra then you should have known better to get ANYTHING FI tuned. i cant believe you were beating on it even after you noticed something wrong. sounds like you were asking for it. sorry it happened to you, but i really feel like you did more to make it happen then to not make it happen.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:17 AM
Drifting

Why would you run the motor into the ground? You don't even know what the damage is yet. At this point it's possible it could be a relatively cheap fix but if you continue running the engine you are running a very high chance of destroying the entire thing.

Don't be stupid, get it checked out now. Have it towed, do not start the motor again.

... or be stupid, I don't really care. Just trying to save you a huge pile of cash.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Drifting

And blaming on this on a lack of tune doesn't make a lot of sense at this point. Unless you were getting really bad pre-ignition, there's not much a poorly tuned motor can do to itself to cause a failure like that.

It seems there's a lot of people commenting that don't understand the basic dynamics of what happens inside an engine.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Suzuka Master

not ll of these motors are healthy when we buy them and then we go ahead and add mods and run them hard it just makes things worse. For anyone that plans on doing extensive mods or FI to the motor i reccomend doing a compression test on each cylinder to make sure thngs are right. When i put my blower in i ran a compression test on all 6 cyclinders and cylinder 1 had 141 psi as compared to the 180 psi the rest of the cyclinders were pullin. And when the motor blew the only cylinder ot go bad was the bad cylinder #1. I wasnt necessarily worried about it dying tho cause i had the warranty.

Harrison- You motor was probably already weak to begin with and the SC may have sped up the dying process. Dont beat yourself up about. Just figure out your next move so you wont feel so bad. You could make some good $$$ off your mods tho.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:27 AM
CL-SEXY SIX (=

Originally Posted by cltypeSLOW
if you had a supra then you should have known better to get ANYTHING FI tuned. i cant believe you were beating on it even after you noticed something wrong. sounds like you were asking for it. sorry it happened to you, but i really feel like you did more to make it happen then to not make it happen.
My supras were all stock, no mods...so no tune.

I did not beat on my car with the s.c installed because i knew it needed to be tuned.
I beat on her after the fact that i knew the bearing was spun. So why not enjoy whats left of it.

so how did i do more to make it happen when it happened already?

There were no signs of the bearing about to go bad. I just heard the rattle 3 days ago merging onto the freeway.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:45 AM
3.2 CL-S Sundance Gold

YOU SEEM TO HAVE THE BREAD FOR IT... SO MAYBE YOU SHOULD JUST GET A NEW(er) CAR....WITH THE MONEY U SPENT ON MODS U COULD HAVE BEEN PAYING FOR SOMETHING NEWER (WHICH PROBABLY ALREADY HAS THE POWER U WERE MODDING THE CL FOR) ALWAYS RISK UR CAR GOING BOOM..WHEN PUTTING A RACK OF (POWER) MODS ON AN OLDER CAR! MY VOTE IS GET A SOMTHING NEWER (ALREADY FASTER) OR EXPECT UR CURRENT CAR TO CONTINUE TO HIT THE SHOP...I WISH U LUCK EITHER WAY..CAUSE ULTIMATELY ITS UR CALL....and only U truly know ur financial situation.

but then again U are 20yrs old...i dont know what ur priorites are so maybe getting a new car isn't the best choice if U have other goals and things u want to do maybe move out or continue schooling...LIKE I SAID NO ONE KNOWS UR FINANCE BETTA THAN U!
Old 07-16-2008, 11:52 AM
CL-SEXY SIX (=

Originally Posted by L's TL
not ll of these motors are healthy when we buy them and then we go ahead and add mods and run them hard it just makes things worse. For anyone that plans on doing extensive mods or FI to the motor i reccomend doing a compression test on each cylinder to make sure thngs are right. When i put my blower in i ran a compression test on all 6 cyclinders and cylinder 1 had 141 psi as compared to the 180 psi the rest of the cyclinders were pullin. And when the motor blew the only cylinder ot go bad was the bad cylinder #1. I wasnt necessarily worried about it dying tho cause i had the warranty.

Harrison- You motor was probably already weak to begin with and the SC may have sped up the dying process. Dont beat yourself up about. Just figure out your next move so you wont feel so bad. You could make some good $$$ off your mods tho.
thank you for all your sincere and supportive responses Ls; i will most likely do a part out; after tallying up my mods; i'm getting a number of $15000. So i am really considering that.

whats ironic is that my #1 cylinder pertains to be the problem as well.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:53 AM
CL-SEXY SIX (=

Originally Posted by Gregory_20706
YOU SEEM TO HAVE THE BREAD FOR IT... SO MAYBE YOU SHOULD JUST GET A NEW(er) CAR....WITH THE MONEY U SPENT ON MODS U COULD HAVE BEEN PAYING FOR SOMETHING NEWER (WHICH PROBABLY ALREADY HAS THE POWER U WERE MODDING THE CL FOR) ALWAYS RISK UR CAR GOING BOOM..WHEN PUTTING A RACK OF (POWER) MODS ON AN OLDER CAR! MY VOTE IS GET A SOMTHING NEWER (ALREADY FASTER) OR EXPECT UR CURRENT CAR TO CONTINUE TO HIT THE SHOP...I WISH U LUCK EITHER WAY..CAUSE ULTIMATELY ITS UR CALL....and only U truly know ur financial situation.

but then again U are 20yrs old...i dont know what ur priorites are so maybe getting a new car isn't the best choice if U have other goals and things u want to do maybe move out or continue schooling...LIKE I SAID NO ONE KNOWS UR FINANCE BETTA THAN U!
might just get a four door accord now. lol
Old 07-16-2008, 11:59 AM
3.2 CL-S Sundance Gold

4REAL... U ARE 20 YRS OLD...UNLESS U HAVE KIDS OR SUMTHIN GO FOR THE COUPE...FOUR DOOR ACCORD = FOR THE OLD AND BORING ESPECIALLY THE NEWER ONES

GOOD LUCK WITH WHATEVA U DO
Old 07-16-2008, 12:11 PM
Suzuka Master

LOl yea get the coupe...Its alot sexier and faster. No prob tho. just keep ur head up and thats a brand new car with all ur mods parted out Ill still take that greddy off u tho

Quick Reply: Another CL-S 6 w/blown motor.