Another 6MT on board

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 01:34 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another 6MT on board

OK, did the deal tonight. You may think this is nuts, but I didn't want to drive it home. I'm getting my taxes done Tuesday--easily the most convoluted tax situation I've ever had--and even though I'm sure everything will be fine, I just didn't feel like spending 30k+ before finding out for sure how I stand with the IRS. So I'll go pick it up Tuesday--the deal is signed and sealed, just not delivered.

I joined the Aegean Blue ranks. It was between black, anthacite, and blue. I've seen anthacite on the TLs and it's nice--probably nicer on the CL--but the nearest one is a LONG way from here (Burlingame). They got a blue one in from another dealer--100 miles on it, but the majority of that is the drive from the other dealer, so I don't think it has many harsh demo miles.

Funny--the salesman had tried to talk me out of the blue--he had only seen it on the TL before, and I gotta say, I don't like the blue on the TL either, but figured it would complement the rounder CL better, and it sure does (the salesman liked it a lot too).

Nutty day--had to do eight hours of traffic school (8am, then add that daylight-savings skip ahead to make it more painful). Played some hoops and went to the dealer after closing (already knew they'd be there late). Did the deal. They told me I could drive it off with no down (dang, it pays to get yourself hopelessly in debt then pay off every cent--they did a credit check and came back, "there's a problem--you could buy the store; your credit walks on water"). But I said no--Tuesday. They wanted to close out a weak weekend (people don't buy cars at tax time), and even offered to scrape more cash off an already great deal to make it happen. I said I didn't want to dig then for another couple hundred bucks--just wanted to wait till Tuesday. We worked it out--wrote it, but I have till Friday to take possession or bail, no down.

So I get home and call my girlfriend. I had told her about the color and she went and checked it while I was in traffic school. So she was happy--then she told me that she had leased a Volvo S60 this morning after checking out the CL! Dang! That will be nicer to drive to Mammoth than her Accord was--the CL-S can't do chains, so it won't be making the ski trips.

Oh, options on the CL-S 6MT--just mudflaps and wheel locks, $29,800--$32551.21 total including tax & license.
Old 04-08-2002, 01:46 AM
?!?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
congrats man!

did you go to peyton cramer?
Old 04-08-2002, 02:12 AM
Darth Tator

peyton cramer acura sucks

well actually just their service department
Old 04-08-2002, 02:31 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by nokio
congrats man!

did you go to peyton cramer?
Thanks

Yeah, well, it's Acura of South Bay now (Torrance Acura when i got my Legend there). They're owned by Autonation now--I don't know what that means in terms of Peyton Cramer's involement anymore (no clue--did PC sell to Autonation outright?).
Old 04-08-2002, 02:55 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by riceboy
peyton cramer acura sucks

well actually just their service department
Yeah, probably true. I haven't gone there in service in like 10 years (when it was Torrance Acura). There sales guys (the ones I dealt with) were great. Never had to haggle price, they never tried to push what they had on the lot at me, were happy to talk with me about other cars in a pretty fair manner. I mostly worked with Bryan who was great. I can't guarantee they're all great (I went in once and a friend was helping his friend get into a TL lease--Bryan told me right off that the saleman they were working with was a slimeball, and clued my friend in that they were getting the run around (my friend already knew it--but in the end they got the deal they were after). Mike was really good too. I came in when Bryan was closing and delivering an MDX and was tied up, so Mike closed the deal with me. Plopped the invoice down in front of me--I never asked to see it--and asked what I wanted to pay. Never layed any bullshit on me.

Yeah, they know they're gonna make their money on service and stuff--we'll see how that goes. I'm not sure if I'll opt for some of the service and extended warranty contracts and security systems--gotta think it over. A guy explained them to me and gave me discounted quotes on everything ($995 for the extended warranty for instance), and sent me off with the info and no pressure to get anything.
Old 04-08-2002, 10:46 AM
Burning Brakes

You're gonna love it. Break her in easy.
Old 04-08-2002, 12:52 PM
Drifting

Congrats
Old 04-08-2002, 08:07 PM
Instructor

Thx guys.

I got to try out the girlfriend's S60 2.4T today. Nice ride! A saleman was going to lease it and had already set it up with nice chrome 17" rims (dang, she's got nicer rims and tires--P6 235/45/17--than me!), spoiler (helps the ugly-ish back end of that car), tinted windows, dark metallic gray. Pales in handling and accelleration comparison to the CL, and I wasn't crazy about the seats if it was my ride, but it sure beats the hell out of her Accord it replaced.
Old 04-08-2002, 08:42 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats! Now go get some mods.
Old 04-08-2002, 08:42 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As long as you don't get the Hispanic kit (gold trim) your Aegean Blue will look most excellent.

Hi Shawn S!
Old 04-08-2002, 09:16 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by JRock
As long as you don't get the Hispanic kit (gold trim) your Aegean Blue will look most excellent.

Hi Shawn S!
LOL! Take it easy on that boy.

Black chrome maybe (would have been a fer-sure if I had gotten a black car).
Old 04-10-2002, 01:23 AM
Instructor

OK, I brought it home
Old 04-10-2002, 01:42 AM
kee-master

nice.. gotta come out to one of the bay area meets one day and show ur 6mt off! =)

congrads

hg

Originally posted by codehead
OK, I brought it home
Old 04-10-2002, 01:50 AM
on bin laden

Originally posted by JRock

Hi Shawn S!
or look-alike SEMA rims, and then insist they actually look better heheh, hi Shawn S
Old 04-10-2002, 08:33 AM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well his rims are pretty nice.

Ah well, either way Shawn's got a new buddy!
Old 04-10-2002, 10:22 AM
Certified Lurker

Welcome to the club!
Old 04-10-2002, 08:19 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Collective27
Welcome to the club!
Thx. Dang we have the same two cars (well, mine's a Legend L coupe 5 speed, and yours might be a sedan?). 116k miles on the Legend--I'll probably be sad, but I'll sell mine. My son's got a couple of year to go before he drives, and it's just the two of us here (and daugther in college with her own car). It would just take up space in the garage and make it hard to get in the CL :-/
Old 04-11-2002, 12:47 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: Another 6MT on board

That will be nicer to drive to Mammoth than her Accord was--the CL-S can't do chains, so it won't be making the ski trips.
May not be able to do chains, but you can get these and still take it to the snow.

Spider Spikes
Old 04-11-2002, 01:19 AM
Instructor

Re: Re: Another 6MT on board

Originally posted by Speed_Racer

May not be able to do chains, but you can get these and still take it to the snow.

Spider Spikes
Thanks! A girl in my traffic school told me there was something like that for her Saturn. (I had borrowed the teacher's vehicle code to see what the snow laws were.) I did a google search, but couldn't find the right words.

Funny my Acura dealer had no clue. My girlfriend leased an S60 over the weekend and thought she could put chains on it. I checked the manual and told her no, and she called the dealer and they told her something about a "claw".

That is so cool.
Old 04-11-2002, 02:09 AM
Intermediate

take it down the 1/4 mile pleeeaaase
Old 04-11-2002, 10:10 AM
Certified Lurker

Thx. Dang we have the same two cars (well, mine's a Legend L coupe 5 speed, and yours might be a sedan?). 116k miles on the Legend--I'll probably be sad, but I'll sell mine. My son's got a couple of year to go before he drives, and it's just the two of us here (and daugther in college with her own car). It would just take up space in the garage and make it hard to get in the CL :-/
Ya, mine is a sedan auto, its a great car, but for now i plan on keeping it so i can drive it when its raining, or when im going somewhere that i feel a scrach is very possible (ie NJ Devil hockey games, supermark for any reason, etc.) IM realy anal about rain and scratches and that kinda stuf on the car, so to me its worth it to pay the extra insurence.
Old 04-11-2002, 06:28 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by blackmagic
take it down the 1/4 mile pleeeaaase
Oh, it'll be a while (break-in at least, and I don't drive to work). I've driven stick all my life, but never for maximum (timed) speed, but I'm kinda curious. So I might try it... (I'll probably suck at first, maybe not too bad. But at least this tranny feels real natural to me.)
Old 04-11-2002, 06:33 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Collective27

Ya, mine is a sedan auto, its a great car, but for now i plan on keeping it so i can drive it when its raining, or when im going somewhere that i feel a scrach is very possible (ie NJ Devil hockey games, supermark for any reason, etc.) IM realy anal about rain and scratches and that kinda stuf on the car, so to me its worth it to pay the extra insurence.
Yeah, good reasons. Nice to have a second car that you don't have to worry about too much. I have the same thought of using mine to go skiing--would love the drive, but be paranoid about risking the car.