Amoco Gas Stations

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 09:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amoco Gas Stations

Ok so over the almost 8 months that I've had my car my check engine light has come on 4 times. It hasnt stayed on for more than 3 days yet, and never once when I'm supposed to be going to the dealer of course But in any case, each time it comes on I proceed to go to the gas door and re-tighten the gas cap figuring that it is me either not tightening it enough or that its broken and loosenes its self. But 2 weeks ago when I had this problem once again I thought back to the last gas stations I had been at and sure as shit the last 2 check engine lights I have gotten have been after filling up at Amoco Stations. And being that I fill up my tank an average of once every 3 days it makes perfect sense because I'm already putting new gas in.

I'm gonna have to play the percentages and say that the other 2 times it was the same senario (but I didnt take notice then so I cant be certain).

Has anyone experienced this problem at all, I put gas in at many other locations and never an issue ie. Exxon, Gulf, Shell, Hess... Not one single problem I just dont get it.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:07 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmmmm i go to Amoco alot and don't have that problem. Is it the same gas station or different?
Old 09-16-2003, 11:34 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
gas station problems

i live in southern california and went to a shell gas station around 2pm because i was low on gas. they didn't have premium (signs on the pumps), so i just went home and took a nap. when i woke up a couple hours later, i went back to the shell and the signs were down. so i filled up my tank halfway. sure enough, the car didn't feel right and the gas light was on. my theory is that if your car gets shitty gas, it turns the light on to let you know you've made an error. i am prolly wrong, but i think that shell station put regular gas in their premium pumps to make more money ($2.35 a gallon instead of $1.15). makes ya wonder.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Zap: Different Amoco stations, wierd rite I think my car just gets an "upset stomach" with Amoco gas.

sham: thats exactly how it happened with me as far as effects on the car were but I doubt it was for the same reason. It was at 2 different Amoco stations so i dont think octane rating had anything to do with it.

Maybe i'm just crazy and its coincidence or maybe its Amoco's additives, just doesnt respond well in my car? In any case Im not looking to find out again so no more Amoco for me.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:06 AM
Suzuka Master

I suspect that you are getting code P0300 or cylinder(s) specific P0301 - P0306. Codes for misfires.

This has happened to a few of us 6-Speed guys. The car seemed to be more sensitive to certain fuels than other but the first time it happened was after filling up at a BP station (Amoco fuels). But this was in downtown Atlanta not at my normal neighborhood Amoco station.

My solution was to change the plugs which I had anyway. After this it never came back.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

I only fill my car with Amoco Gold, never had an issue with their gas,

Could your local station could have bad tanks that have some water in them causing you issues ?
Old 09-17-2003, 05:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Happened at dif Amoco stations actually not all to local to me

Scalbert-- What plugs did you switch to and did you change wires too, theres performance gains to that too right?
Old 09-17-2003, 05:30 AM
Where is my super sauce?

I've never had a problem with Amoco or BP fuels. It's one of my top choices now (I typically use Mobil/Exxon, Amoco/BP, or Sunoco in the Northeast and also Chevron or Shell in the Southwest).
Old 09-17-2003, 05:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by KissMy_Type_S
Scalbert-- What plugs did you switch to and did you change wires too, theres performance gains to that too right?
The stock plugs are NGK Iridium on the 6-Speeds. I used Denso Iridium plugs; IK20.

We have no plug wires as there is a coil on each plug. No performance gains to be had.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by scalbert
The stock plugs are NGK Iridium on the 6-Speeds. I used Denso Iridium plugs; IK20.

We have no plug wires as there is a coil on each plug. No performance gains to be had.
LOL ... Ok I guess it pays to look before making a statement, anyway, I searched plugs and found that they only last maybe 30K does it really pay in your opinion to switch or just stay stock. Personally i could give two shits about changing every 25-30K because the extra $50 every 7-8 months (at this rate ) doesnt bother me especially when it comes to positively maintaining my car. But my experience with my other car was that OEM plugs were the way to go.

Anyone else? Opinions welcome and appreciated.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:33 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

my understanding is that Iridium are to be changed each 30 kmiles. However, Acura claims 105 kmiles before they need to be changed.

I had min at 30k miles and I will change them at 60kmiles.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:49 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
in my earlier post i said "($2.35 a gallon instead of $1.15)". i meant "($2.35 a gallon instead of $2.15). just wanted to clear that up. but anywho, my car hasn't acted up since that one occasion.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:04 PM
TRELOS

I've always ran Chevron in my tank. Even after what people have said about Techron settling at the bottom of the tank.

After about 25K on the odometer I went and filled up at the cheapest gas station around. I figured if I always used Chevron how much would it hurt to use $hit gas just once. So I filled up with Circle K gas. I purchased Premium 93 and teh car ran fine. Half way though the tank the check engine light comes on and I am like WTF. I figured it was my O2 because MPG droped like it was thrown off a cliff. I went through that tank of $hit gas ASAP and switched back to Chevron. After 4 tanks of Chevron it cleared the code and everything is now fine.

The moral to my story is don't use $hit gas.

Juker008