Am I being ripped off ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2001, 01:57 PM
Dub Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I being ripped off ?

This is completely unrelated to Acura but I'm a regular to the forums and I need some advice.

On saturday my car would not start while I was getting my oil changed so I left it at the shop to be looked at on monday. The guy looked at it briefly on saturday and determined there was no power coming into the starter.

On Monday, they carried out a diagnostic (which cost me 97.50) and figured out that the ignition switch was dead. I agreed and they replaced it ($78 for the part and $172 for labor).

When I picked it up monday evening the car started up and I paid and drove off.

Tuesday evening after work, my car wouldnt start again I had the car towed to the shop and they're telling me that the starter is now blown.

These are the issues I have with this:
1) How am I to know whether or not the ignition switch was blown in the first place ? I did not get the original part back.
2) Prior to saturday I didnt have any problems with the car. Do I have any legal rights to protect me from the possibilty that the shop might be screwing me over ?
3) Even though I agreed to the 97.50 diagnostic, it seems like they didn't have much to diagnose and I have a feeling that it's a bogus charge and they didnt really do any diagnostics.
4) To make a long story short, I paid almost $400 and the problem is not solved. The shop says that this is a new problem and that my original problem was solved. I dont believe them.

Any ideas ?

------------------
1992 VW Passat; 2.0L 134 hp 4-cyl; 5-speed; Single exhaust; Single engine; Wanna race ? ;-)
Old 06-13-2001, 02:16 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Is this a shop you know? Have you dealt with them in the past? If not it might be time to start talking to them about being ripped off. $97.50 is a little higher than avergae (I think) for hook up to diagnostics but they do have to pay for the equipment somehow. It sounds like they may have mis-diagnosed the ignition switch.

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior
Xephyr CAI
Polarg M6
Solaris 9005
Cupholder Ver 2.0 Part#77237-SOK-A02

gto2050 (Mike) - The voice of absolutely no reason whatsoever!
Old 06-13-2001, 02:22 PM
Dub Driver

I have never been to this shop. I happened to be at the shop for an oil change when this happened.

This is what I plan to do:
1. Ask for the old part
2. Ask for a refund for the diagnostic (considering I paid them almost 200 bucks to pop in an ignition switch)
3. Hopefully find someone who knows enough about my car to be able to confirm that I'm getting screwed.

Thanks a lot !!

------------------
1992 VW Passat; 2.0L 134 hp 4-cyl; 5-speed; Single exhaust; Single engine; Wanna race ? ;-)