Altering clutch travel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 05:35 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Altering clutch travel?

Any reprocussions in doing something like discussed below? I'd like to get a little more sporty feeling out of the clutch in my G, but I don't wanna f' anything up. Drawbacks???

Thanks!
----
You can easily adjust the clutch of a G35 sport coupe. I've done it twice on my cousin's black on black G.

I've done it to my WRX as well, as it came from the factory with overly high clutch travel and engagement.

If you look underneath the footwell, you'll see that the clutch is attached to a metal fork, held in place with a rod with a hole drilled in it and a cotter pin (looks like a bobby pin). Take out the pin with a set of pliers, then remove the rod.

This is the hardest part: you need to get the metal fork out of the confines of the clutch pedal. The method that worked best for me is to pull up on the clutch pedal while simultaneously pushing down on the clutch fork, then moving the fork to the side of the clutch pedal. This is the most aggrevating and time consuming part of the whole process. Don't be surprised if this part makes you curse and spew expletives about the engineers that designed this part.

After that part is done (whew), use a 10mm wrench to loosen the nut behind the fork.

To adjust engagement and travel:

turn fork CLOCKWISE ---> for lower engagement and shorter travel
turn fork COUNTERCLOCKWISE--> for higher engagement and longer travel

I had to adjust a total of 4 whole clockwise turns for my cousin's car. (I suggest trying 2 clockwise turns, then seeing how the car feels. If you want it lower, just repeat the process.)

After you adjust the metal fork, it's time to put everything back together. Tighten the nut behind the fork, then shimmy the fork back into place around the clutch pedal. Re-install the rod and the cotter pin, and take it for a spin.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:25 AM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Make certain that you do not actually inadvertantly apply pressure to the clutch master after the adjustment is made.If you do it can cause premature throw out bearing failure and or clutch slippage or excessive wear .Just be cautious make certain there is at least some play in the pedal after the adjustment (movement up and down on the pedal )
Jens
Old 09-19-2003, 07:31 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Jens. Thanks for reply.

So other than what you noted, there shouldn't be any ill-affects?

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2003, 07:35 AM
retired

Oh make sure that if the car is equipped with cruise that the switches on the pedal are not affected .By this I mean verify that the cruise works properly ,sometimes a clutch adjustment can move the pedal to the point where the safety switches for the cruise control are not working as they should because the rest position of the clutch pedal has been changed .Other than that you should be ok provided you leave some play .
Jens
Old 09-19-2003, 07:42 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Ok... From what I understand, it's the engagement point that is changed and not the location of the pedal. Fulcrum point is the term I'm looking for.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:45 AM
It's not over yet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jens, can this mod be applied to our cars as well?
Old 09-19-2003, 12:07 PM
Administrator Alumnus

^^^BUMP^^^
Old 09-19-2003, 05:44 PM
retired

You know I never had a chance today to look but I believe it can be done come to think of it you can toy with the brake pedal the same way .I'll post on Monday here to let you know the definitive answer .
You are by doing this NOT changing the fulcrum point .You are simply removing some slack in the system .
Jens