Almost a kill story (TLS and long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2001, 12:34 AM
Acura TL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost a kill story (TLS and long)

i posted this on the TLS forum on acura-tl.com and got so many flames i couldnt believe... hopefully the crowd here is a little more enthusiastic with the cl-s brothers...

Sat. night i'm on my way to Atlantic city for HIN, going down AC Expwy, all these modified civics around, but noone fun to play with. Then i pull up on a cute little box of a yellow golf with what must've been a 6" exhaust, and kinda hang with him and he accelerates, letting me know he wants to play. I go into SS, downshift into 3rd, pull up behind him and we start a leisurely slalom between the cars at about 100mph, to get out of "traffic" onto an open stretch of road. We finally do hit the stretch and he pulls away on me a little, and before I can catch up, we hit another group of cars. We get passed the group, and i'm in the left lane and he's all the way on the right, both lanes clear ahead, and we're on our way, as i hit 120, i'm impressed to see that he's still right there with me. 130 and i look in the rearview and don't see him, and then realize he's sitting in my blindspot and gaining on me. At that point, we hit another group of cars, and as we try to get past it, he comes out first and guns it. I get out of the group and floor it after him, and after hitting about 120 i realize i'm not catching up to him . I finally do catch up as he gets tangled in another group of cars, and this time i pull out into the open space first and floor it. As I realize that the bends in the road are coming around a little too fast, I glance at the speedo and it reads just a smidge short of the 150mph mark. I manage a quick look in all the mirrors and find him once again pulling out of my blind spot and still very very slowly gaining on me. This is at 148mph from a little four-banger! Luckily he doesn't have a chance to pass me, cuz we hit the traffic about 6 miles away from AC thats moving at a nice parking lot speed of about 3mph. Those who went there know what i'm talking about. I pull over and he gets next to me, and as i lower my windows and he lowers his, i'm ashamed to see that he has 4 people sitting in that yellow box. We both say it was a good run and i ask what he has in his car and he says "...just a charger" We exchange a couple of other words and then go on, with me wondering exactly what kinda "charger" he has in there, and what else he's added... i know he had the exhaust, and i'm pretty sure it was a stick, and he definitely did the suspension, cuz the car was slammed... I'm thiking he's running a turbo or maybe even twin turbo with like 35psi... but that car is very light, so maybe he doesnt need that much...
But that was pretty much my first good run with the TL-S and i figured i could take most cars out there running at around 300hp. Of course its my luck that i end up racing a little box on steroids... at least if i wouldve lost to a viper that i passed ... all in all it was a lot of fun though... much more so then the actual show, which also seemed to be populated by mostly civics...

oh, and make sure that if you have a passanger with you on a nice ride like this, that they know to keep quite during the ride, and not tell you to watch out every time you're about to pass a car, its distracting at 150

if you'd like to see what the response was on the tl board - http://www.acura-tl.com/ubb/Forum14/HTML/000733.html

------------------
'02 Nighthawk TL-S
------------------
Comptech Springs / Comptech Headers
------------------
Alpine CVA-1005 Head Unit / Alpine G320 EQ / Alpine DVA-5205 DVD / Alpine NVE-N851A Navi / JL Audio XR653-CS 3-Way comps for the front powered by a bridged Alpine MRV-F407 amp / Boston Acoustics 5.5 ProSeries 2-Way comps for the rear powered by Alpine MRV-1002 amp / Dual 10" JL Audio W-6 sub powered by Alpine MRV-1005 amp / Two Alpine CHA-1214 CD Changers / 20% Tint all-around

_ _ __________ _ _
'00 Nighthawk TL
------------------
Aem Short Ram / Comptech Sway Bars / Comptech Springs / Cross-Drilled Rotors / Pirelli SP7000 Tires / 35% Tint all-around
-------------
Pics of my TL and Fun/Crazy Pics
Old 04-12-2001, 02:24 AM
Intermediate

Zodiak --

Even CL-S owners aren't THAT crazy bro, you got some screws loose!!

------------------
2002 TL Type S
White Diamond Pearl
No Mods
Old 04-13-2001, 06:51 AM
- daemonichris -

good shit

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S w/ Navigation
Nighthawk Black/Ebony
Two 12'' Alpine Type-S Subs, Kenwood 600-watt Amp
Custom CAI
Cleared Headlights, everything Polarg
Tint 20% front 15% rear
Old 04-13-2001, 10:10 AM
Instructor

Good job,
I'm surprised YOU hung with him to 150 as the car has problems reaching that top speed. The civic has better gearing.

As for the 4 ppl -- I am not positive about the physics of the explanation, but I do believe that once in motion, the combined weight of the car + occupants becomes much less of a factor.

The turbo/SC civics are fast lil rockets as they weigh barely 1500lbs. Even when I had my turbo ITR, I had problems with those turbo civic HBs.

------------------
R.I.P Integra Type-R #932
Black 2001 CL-S
Comptech Headers
Old 04-13-2001, 01:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TLSWhiz:
Zodiak --

Even CL-S owners aren't THAT crazy bro, you got some screws loose!!

</font>
Speak for yourself

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
XEPHYR CAI (Yahoo!)

01'Acura Integra GSR
Old 04-13-2001, 05:44 PM
magnet

damn i have a race like that at least once a week

------------------
2001 cl type s,custom voltage blue paint job, comptech headers, 18 inch ssr agle strusse rims(painted voltage blue with chrome lip), greddy evo exhaust, cross drilled rotors, pioneer avx 7000 tv, playstation2, iceman cold air intake(custom)nos fuel pressure regulator, piaa ion yellow fog lights, slammed on nex suspension (level ten torque converter and b&m tranny cooler)3.5 litre upgrade on april 16!(dommed topped pistons, mdx crankshaft, rods , bearings, heads ported and polished, vtec timing

my old car www.hondatech.org/99acv6ic.html
my cl http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...064&Sequence=0
Old 04-26-2001, 09:51 PM
Intermediate

u all r crazy... going 20mph faster than surrounding traffic is ok to a point, but 150mph vs others going at around 70mph??? u've got grandma in her caddy doing 65mph and she sees u 1/4 mile back and switches lanes. what do you do now? going 85mph faster than her...u will cover 1/4 mile in 6 sec. byt the time she's in ur lane 1.5 sec has passed, then u have a .5 reaction time. you've got 4 sec to bring your speed down or switch lanes. that's like coming from 85mph to a complete stop. crazy...

let's just say i trust you or i would have the skill to control a car at those speeds, but other drivers are not as skilled and thus are dangerous variables.

sorry...but i didn't mean this as a flame...just my 2 cents.
Old 04-27-2001, 02:10 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Slowing down from 80 to 0 will take at least 240 ft or some 72 meters. So, let us say, you saw a car changing lane to your lane and say there is a difference of 80 MPH in speed, you should start your full stop emgergency braking at least 100 meters away to avoid hitting the car that just changed lanes.... not funny at 150 MPH1, yep crazy, what is the point to yo-yo from 70 to 120 and 120 to 70.

If I do 90-100 in open road that 1-2 sec I can slow to 65.... Just I hate it when the traffic suddenly brake to 0 from 75. S, what about going from150 to 0! Crazy, nuts, whatever....

------------------
Black, Ebony, 3.2 CL Type-S, NAV.
- 3M clear bra, by Stonguard (full front bumper, and side mirrors, and partial hood)
- Acura Spoiler, Moonroof visor
- Splash guards, Winter mats, Trunk liner
- Valentine V1 Radar Locator
- HELMS Service Manual
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
- 03/19/01: Injen Polished CAI
- 04/13/01: 235/40/18 NITTO 555 on 18x7.5, +45 offset, Koing Imagine in Silver with wheels locks