AEM V2 installed, still need your help

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 02:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM V2 installed, still need your help

I got my AEM V2 intake installed yesterday by a friend of a friend, and that thing was a bitch to installed (2.5 hours). So we were able to tighten both ends of the intake on both sides pretty tightly, but the intake still wobbles in the middle part where the intake bends and during idle I could hear it banging lightly against the metal part of the car underneath the intake. On the bottom of the intake there is an Intake pipe support which I have to place on a rubber mount that came with the intake and the bottom part of the rubber mount goes onto a mounting surface, and then We had to tighten the pipe support with the rubber mount using the fender washers and the lock nuts.

The thing is, is this suppose to be normal for the middle part of the intake to be wobbly like it is? Because we tightened both ends as much as we could. I was told by someone that I should place something that won't melt maybe like a rubber thing underneath the intake and tighten it down with zip-ties to keep the intake in place. Is that a good suggestion to do? Or did we completely go wrong somewhere on the install (which I highly doubt we did)?

Here is the aem v2 installed

another shot of it

here you see the intake pipe support

underneath the pipe support and the washers and lock nuts, you see the black rubber mounting we had to use

underneath the bent part of the intake, it hits underneath when idle

The guy who installed for me said its slightly wobbly in the middle probably because of the rubber and sincee its not connected all metal to metal. But overall, when I first drove it after the install, I definitely felt more power and it was a lot more responsive. And of course there is the deep growl of the intake at high rpm and at vtec.
I'll have some vids posted up later.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
You sure you got the right one for your car?

That metal piece with the hole in it is supposed to bolt up the body of the car. That's why it's rattling.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, the part # matches my car, but that metal pieecee with the hole--it doesn't look like it bolts onto any part of the car. The instructions said about that part with the hole..

"attach the vacuum line to the nipple on the intake pipe. Atttach zip-tie to the throttle cable and insert plug side into the mounting tab as shown. clip off excecss length of zip-tie."
Old 06-13-2005, 02:49 PM
Drifting

i don't have an aftermarket intake system, but i think the intake should be slightly loose because the engine will rock back and forth. if you noticed, the stock intake box was connected to the engine with a rubber tube that has folds like an accordian to allow for some flex.

at the point where the intake is hitting the chasis, use some high density foam household weatherstripping (the one with one adhesive side) and stick it to the chassis.

if you think the intake is too wobbly, use larger diameter washers.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:26 PM
I need a Hybrid CL-S

What kind of CL do you have? I thought the v2 is only compatible with 01-03 CL-P...
Old 06-13-2005, 03:33 PM
Burning Brakes

i have an 03 CL-P, a nd yes the aem v2 is only compatible with the cl-p
Old 06-14-2005, 07:35 PM
Burning Brakes

the problem was that it wasn't tightened all the way it should have been, and the guy who helped me with it this time used a shorter rubber mount and he used a larger diameter washer, now when i start the car or drive on bumpy roads, it doesn't hit the metal part right beneath it, sounds great too

here is also a clip of the intake while i am revving. pretty crappy video i know
Click here
Old 06-15-2005, 03:11 PM
Burning Brakes

There's suppose to be two rubber thingies where one goes on the bottom and one goes on the top so it doesn't hit anything. I did the install myself and it was one of the best experience I enjoyed in a long time actually installing something on my own.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Burning Brakes

I'll take pics of mine and show you and also try to record some vids after my Graduation.