Adolescent CL-S Drivers... haha

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2002, 02:30 PM
Goldmember

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adolescent CL-S Drivers... haha

I'm taking an online course for speeding and this passage reminded me of a lot of drivers on this forum. I'm also positive that a woman wrote this. But nonetheless it's pretty true and I know I'm at fault sometimes....

The Perpetual Adolescent

When most drivers grow up, their driving changes to accommodate their mature understanding of the responsibility of driving and the fact that they share the road with millions of others. Unfortunately, some people never grow up. They are perpetual adolescents. It is the nature of adolescents to test limits and to seek adventure. It is also the nature of adolescents to attempt to prove their masculinity through a juvenile concept of immortality. Driving, for them, is an opportunity to prove that they are independent from rules and regulations. "Rules were made to be broken," they boast.

You may wonder why we keep using the masculine gender? Is this male bashing? Can't women be immature as well? Yes, of course they can. Women can certainly be immature and their driving will be affected accordingly. However, statistics reveal that the perpetual adolescent in a vehicle is more likely to be male. The term "women drivers" is used derisively by many males. This reference to women drivers is always intended as a disparagement of the driving ability of women. Yet, the simple fact is that, in sheer numbers, it is the male who is the bigger risk. Driving statistics demonstrate that male drivers under the age of 25 have the most crashes. That is why automobile insurance premiums for drivers under the age of 25 are so expensive.

When a male's emotional growth is stunted, he will sometimes try to compensate by using his vehicle to prove his masculinity. Filled with doubts about his adequacy, he drives in a manner he assumes a virile, sexy, dangerous male would drive - fast, reckless, and flaunting the rules at every turn. That is what many little boys think a real man is like, and that is why male drivers under the age of 25 have the most crashes.

A truly mature individual can see that the perpetual adolescent is only advertising, through his or her driving style, insecurities and a stunted emotional state. If that were all it was, so what. But, unfortunately, perpetual adolescents are a constant source of danger to themselves and others. Fast, reckless, rule-flaunting driving does not prove maturity. It proves the opposite. A real adult accepts responsibility and drives safely.
Old 05-30-2002, 02:55 PM
Not AtlCl98 or Atl-CL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm also positive that a woman wrote this
ya think? :sqnteek:

I did not see any paragraphs about the female gender's lack of ability to concentrate on the road, to understand simple driving rules, to realize that doing makeup/talking on cell phone/looking in mirror does not help driving, etc.
Old 05-30-2002, 03:07 PM
Aspiring MultiBillionaire

Haha, definitley a woman writer

But, I suppose it's correct in some aspects, but it definitely exaggerates others. It really portrays the males as worthless and reckless beings...I guess sometimes we can be though
Old 05-30-2002, 03:23 PM
Team Owner

SHIT....That describes more then HALF the members here to a T !!!!

Shawn S
Old 05-30-2002, 03:53 PM
Goldmember

Originally posted by KCheng
Haha, definitley a woman writer

But, I suppose it's correct in some aspects, but it definitely exaggerates others. It really portrays the males as worthless and reckless beings...I guess sometimes we can be though
Not all males, only those under 25. Since I'll be turning 25 in June 16, I'll soon be leaving the world of high insurance costs. Hello affordable insurance!!!
Old 05-30-2002, 04:32 PM
Drifting

Re: Adolescent CL-S Drivers... haha

Originally posted by scl23
It is also the nature of adolescents to attempt to prove their masculinity through a juvenile concept of immortality. Driving, for them, is an opportunity to prove that they are independent from rules and regulations. "Rules were made to be broken," they boast.
ummm no...prove masculinity my ass maybe for some people yea but to me its an adrenaline rush "rules were made to be broken" that is so cliche

Driving statistics demonstrate that male drivers under the age of 25 have the most crashes.
cause mofo's street race up the ass

When a male's emotional growth is stunted, he will sometimes try to compensate by using his vehicle to prove his masculinity. Filled with doubts about his adequacy, he drives in a manner he assumes a virile, sexy, dangerous male would drive - fast, reckless, and flaunting the rules at every turn. That is what many little boys think a real man is like, and that is why male drivers under the age of 25 have the most crashes.
she makes it sound so dramatic

A truly mature individual can see that the perpetual adolescent is only advertising, through his or her driving style, insecurities and a stunted emotional state. If that were all it was, so what. But, unfortunately, perpetual adolescents are a constant source of danger to themselves and others. Fast, reckless, rule-flaunting driving does not prove maturity. It proves the opposite. A real adult accepts responsibility and drives safely.
i totally agree a mature individual accepts resposibility and drives safely but come on now do you expect to be able to keep your composure when people do all kinds of stupid s**t all over the road hey if you don lose your temper when somebody does sumthin stupid right in front of you or to you then more power to ya

btw it sounds like they were describing me
Old 05-30-2002, 04:34 PM
MP Video Extraordinaire

Without us reckless males, there would be no need for auto manufacturers to make "sporty" cars. Really, we don't NEED to get to 60 in 6 seconds. We don't NEED to do 147 MPH.

Now, which came first: the reckless male, or the sports car. Hmmm...

Maybe the reckless male existed, and car manufacturers responded to a market demand. Or, maybe the car manufacturers took a gamble and produced a sports car, which in turn created the reckless male.

Were we reckless before the automobile? Crazy horse-ridin' sumbitches.
Old 05-30-2002, 08:25 PM
Advanced

I hate to generalize like the obviously female writer did in her article, but here's what I see every day:

Guys that are agressive drivers usually know what they're doing and what their car can do. Agressive women drivers are usually just reckless and don't know what they are doing. Like the fact that a minivan can't corner and handle like a sports car.

When I see a woman putting on makeup in the car going 75 down the highway I either immediately get away or get in front and tap the brakes a lot (keeping a eye on my rear view). Somehow I manage to fix my hair and makeup BEFORE leaving the house every day.

I love high performance cars. But I don't risk my life and others by trying to do something that the car just can't do. It's every vehicle owner's responsibility to be alert on the road and know what their car can do.

Thanks for letting me vent on this subject!!
Old 05-30-2002, 09:00 PM
Advanced

the stat that guys under 25 are more likely to have accidents compaired to females of the same range of age is a bias statement. In general guys drive more therefore more likely to have more accidents it is jsut that simple if you study the meathouds of all the studys and how they form their conclusions it is clear that they are compleatly biased and do not dipect the real world.

(stupid Stat classes)
Old 05-30-2002, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by jtree007
the stat that guys under 25 are more likely to have accidents compaired to females of the same range of age is a bias statement. In general guys drive more therefore more likely to have more accidents it is jsut that simple if you study the meathouds of all the studys and how they form their conclusions it is clear that they are compleatly biased and do not dipect the real world.

(stupid Stat classes)
Actually, that's a pretty good inference from the data!

I guess I'll be learning about that next year in AP Stats.
Old 05-30-2002, 09:28 PM
Drifting

i already forgot everything i learned in AP Stat and that was jus a year ago but after reagdin what jtree said it refreshed me oh how i hated that class but at least i passed the test
Old 05-30-2002, 09:32 PM

Haha, it actually seems kind of "fun" and interesting to me....

Maybe just because I enjoy math...but I'm sure it won't be very fun next to the 3 other APs and college applications to fill out next year...
Old 05-30-2002, 09:42 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by jtree007

(stupid Stat classes)
...and that's where the classroom departs from the real world. If you can recognize this, you'll be successful.

Ok, I'll put it this way. It's your 401k, your savings account, your money. And YOU have to go down to the local high school and INSURE one of the students, it's a "help the community" effort. You pick the student and you put your $100,000 on them for one year. Who would you pick?

Umh, I'll take the 19 year old guy with the Mustang Cobra with two girlfriends, a motorcycle, a C- average, in the 11th grade, one parent who works evenings, etc..... Insurance company is in the business to make money and they can only do that by minimizing risk. And they'll do that any lawful way they can.

NOW THAT'S REAL LIFE! Sorry I don't mean to be this way but I'm just echoing what my peers and I seem to be thinking these days. We were there so we recognize it for what is it. We weren't born into our 30's. The passage above may or may not have been written by a woman, but it reflects what the people who are calling the shots and making the rules think about the generation [gap] and it wasn't just create for you; it's been like that [forever] and will be like that; you won't change it when you get in the position to....I guarantee it.

Honestly I can't believe you can't tell that a male under 25 in a sports car (esp. with peers on board) is the most dangerous thing driving on the modern highway system. When you cause more accidents than freight trucks (which are rolling disasters), that's bad.
Old 05-30-2002, 11:46 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by dallas cls girl
I hate to generalize like the obviously female writer did in her article, but here's what I see every day:

Guys that are agressive drivers usually know what they're doing and what their car can do. Agressive women drivers are usually just reckless and don't know what they are doing. Like the fact that a minivan can't corner and handle like a sports car.

When I see a woman putting on makeup in the car going 75 down the highway I either immediately get away or get in front and tap the brakes a lot (keeping a eye on my rear view). Somehow I manage to fix my hair and makeup BEFORE leaving the house every day.

I love high performance cars. But I don't risk my life and others by trying to do something that the car just can't do. It's every vehicle owner's responsibility to be alert on the road and know what their car can do.

Thanks for letting me vent on this subject!!
You go Girl Refreshing take.
Old 05-31-2002, 12:31 AM
Goldmember

Men are more skilled but....

Men are more skilled drivers but I think our ratio of:

Actual Skill / How good I think I am

is lower than women. Women who suck at driving usually know they suck and admit it. So they don't drive too fast or change too many lanes. Men on the other hand have too much faith in their skills and don't recognize that accidents happen when things outside of our expected events occur. In fact, expert hang gliders die more often than beginners because they try more dangerous stunts. No one argues that men are not better skilled drivers. It's just a fact that faster moving cars get in more accidents and more severe injuries than slower moving cars, and men drive faster than women.

On another front, I think they should take away the driver's license from old ppl who can't drive safely and ppl w/ road rage issues.