ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS... really worth the extra $$$????

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 12:15 AM
dynamic Duo!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS... really worth the extra $$$????

3 years and 60,000 miles of riding on my comptech springs. i'm almost certain my stock shocks are dead... ride is getting quite harsh.

time for aftermarket shocks... I've been eyeing the Tokico blue's, but i'm hearing this talk about Koni's and adjustable this and that...

I don't have much money to throw around at the moment, but I do really want to get some comfort in my ride while staying with my aftermarket springs. Comfort is my first priority, followed by performance and road hugging qualities... for the more expensive shocks, how much adjusting is involved and is it something that you guys highly suggest?

THOSE WITH KONI'S OR TOKICO ADJUSTABLES: I know that you're going to say that your adjustables are awesome and that they might have even been a very good investment... but if you're going to say that, have you ridden on non-adjustable shocks first and later upgraded to adjustable ones (with the same springs) in order to justify that conclusion?

thanks.. -ak
Old 02-02-2004, 01:02 AM
CL Newbie No More

It's a dilemma. The Tokico Blues are supposd to be the equivalent of a "3" setting on the Tokico Illuminas. I have mine set at "2" and wouldn't want a stiffer ride (1=softest, 5=stiffest). Many who have the Tokico Blues installed are delighted with them.

The problem is that, if you install non-adjustable shocks and you find that the ride is too stiff for your liking , there is nothing you can do about it.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:26 AM
Drifting

I'm sure Tokico blue's will be better than stock one's ever were.

But depending on how much installation costs, you may just want to spend the extra for Koni yellows. Supposedly a much higher quality construction and a lifetime warranty.

Put it this way

Tokico = I'm 80% sure you'll love them $280 ebay.
Koni Yellow = I'm 99% sure you'll love them $480 on ebay
Old 02-02-2004, 10:31 AM
Audi S4 driver

I have the Blues with CT springs. I think the ride is just perfect. The sways made it a tad stiffer, but nothing unbearable. Good balance between handling\road hugging, and ride comfort. If I was going to use this car strictly for performance I'd want it a tad stiffer though, and probably would go Koni. or possibly Tein coilovers.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:23 PM
Intermediate

It's always a dilemma for buying performance stuff. A lit bit more $ and you get a lit bit more performance. I have the tokico illuminas and they are great. I tried them at the stiffest and they were very harsh but handled great. I played around with them to get the best setting for me--the fronts are at 4 and the rears at 3. I got them on ebay for $400 which is between the blues and the koni's.

If you install them yourself, you can save some money also. I've installed koni's before and they are not 100% bolt-ons as you might think. The tokicos are direct bolt-ons.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:14 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally posted by thescoundrel
It's always a dilemma for buying performance stuff. A lit bit more $ and you get a lit bit more performance. I have the tokico illuminas and they are great. I tried them at the stiffest and they were very harsh but handled great. I played around with them to get the best setting for me--the fronts are at 4 and the rears at 3. I got them on ebay for $400 which is between the blues and the koni's.

If you install them yourself, you can save some money also. I've installed koni's before and they are not 100% bolt-ons as you might think. The tokicos are direct bolt-ons.

What do you mean the Koni's aren't bolt-on's? I've been thinking about getting new struts, so please enlighten me.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:40 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

I loved the non-adjustible Bilstiens I had on my last car. Not super cheap though at around $400 for a set. I went with the Konis because there were so many people here that were satisfied with them. Definitely a "sport" shock but they seem to be a very good ride/handling compromise.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:52 PM
'Cooter

Koni's make a big difference when racing autox or just cruising around on different settings

the softest setting feels a lil harsher than stock, but it's very much manageable...i am still pleased i made this purchase
Old 02-02-2004, 03:00 PM
Intermediate

For the koni's you need to attach the bottom support for the spring to rest on. There is a bottom plate and snap ring that comes with the kit. You need to get the right height you want and then attach the bottom support plate. It is not much harder to install except sometimes, the snap rings are not included--this happened to me before.
Old 02-02-2004, 03:05 PM
Intermediate

What do you mean the Koni's aren't bolt-on's? I've been thinking about getting new struts, so please enlighten me.
I did not say they were not bolt-ons, just that they need to be assembled before installing.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:36 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Well, Koni's are going for about 650 dollars, give or take, on TireRack.com.

Should I just spend another 235 dollars and get Tein SS?? (shipped, 885)

I have H&R Sports right now, on stock shocks.

Or do you think Tokico's are good enough?? (Blue or Illumina?)
Old 02-02-2004, 05:09 PM
Audi S4 driver

I have no complaints with my tokico blues. however I've never experienced anything different .. but better than stock.

In the future I might switch to Tein SS, or comptech\koni adjustable