Adding tranny fluid...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 04:34 PM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adding tranny fluid...

I'm having problems adding some tranny fluid. I've located the bolt, but it has this metal bracket on top of it with this metal tube coming out of the bolt. I'm having a hell of a time trying to remove the bolt for the braket.

Any bright ideas?
Also, what size is the tranny fill bolt, 18mm?
Will I need a new seal washer after I open it?

It looks like I'll need an open end wrench to fit underneath the metal bracket, but I don't know because I can't get the metal bracket off.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:05 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phipark
I'm having problems adding some tranny fluid. I've located the bolt, but it has this metal bracket on top of it with this metal tube coming out of the bolt. I'm having a hell of a time trying to remove the bolt for the braket.

Any bright ideas?
Also, what size is the tranny fill bolt, 18mm?
Will I need a new seal washer after I open it?

It looks like I'll need an open end wrench to fit underneath the metal bracket, but I don't know because I can't get the metal bracket off.
theres a 14mm bolt holding a black bracket down that supports the metal tube you're talking about. take off the 14mm bolt and wiggle off the metal tube from the bolt....mine took some tugging to get off. im pretty sure that metal tube was added as part of the tranny fix/recall. once you get the tube out, you'll see the bolt already has a hole in it....no need to take it off. they probably took off the OEM fill bolt and replaced it with one with a hole on top.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:15 AM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MiK3Y
theres a 14mm bolt holding a black bracket down that supports the metal tube you're talking about. take off the 14mm bolt and wiggle off the metal tube from the bolt....mine took some tugging to get off. im pretty sure that metal tube was added as part of the tranny fix/recall. once you get the tube out, you'll see the bolt already has a hole in it....no need to take it off. they probably took off the OEM fill bolt and replaced it with one with a hole on top.
If you have the right funnel, you can also add fluid through the dipstick hole.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:35 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Allout
Sounds like a good $2.00 investment to avoid the all the hassle and problems that might occur to DIY mechanics like me who sometimes get frustrated by hard to reach areas and frozen bolts.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:20 AM
Not Asian

Oh yeah, good idea. I'm getting a funnel instead. I can't get enough leverage on that bolt.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:56 AM
Racer

don't add fluid through the dipstick hole, its not supposed to go through there, i don't remeber why, i think because the dipstick does not go to the same place as it would be if you used the fill hole, why do you think they made a fill hole, it cost them money to desigen it and everything, its there for a reason, also remember to check the fluid with the einge off.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:44 PM
Instructor

Oh yeah, good idea. I'm getting a funnel instead. I can't get enough leverage on that bolt.
the bolt isnt very tight....all it does is hold down 2 brackets. a ratchet with an extension will do the trick.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:08 PM
Not Asian

Originally Posted by MiK3Y
the bolt isnt very tight....all it does is hold down 2 brackets. a ratchet with an extension will do the trick.
My is pretty snug. I sprayed it with some wd-40. Over the weekend, maybe it's loosened by now.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:06 PM
Blown is Best

Originally Posted by civicking
don't add fluid through the dipstick hole, its not supposed to go through there, i don't remeber why, i think because the dipstick does not go to the same place as it would be if you used the fill hole, why do you think they made a fill hole, it cost them money to desigen it and everything, its there for a reason, also remember to check the fluid with the einge off.
Why wouldn't it go to the same place? It all ends up in the bottom of the pan Plus fluid will naturally equalize if you're thinking that the dipstick sits in a separate channel - which it doesn't.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:07 PM
Blown is Best

My is pretty snug. I sprayed it with some wd-40. Over the weekend, maybe it's loosened by now.
I ended up using a 1/2" drive breaker bar to get mine to pop. Sometimes you have to lean on that thing pretty hard.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:05 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by civicking
What is your basis for this conclusion.? seems like it all ends up in the same place.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:44 AM
Racer

first there is no pan for the trans, show me, its all a case. next my conclusion is based on this, why do they tell you do add through the add plug, if it was fine to add through the dipstick why design and machine a special area to add fluid, it cost lots of money to do that and all car companies are about profit and they will not do something unless it has to be done. if you give me a little time i will ask one of they guys that i know, he is the best trans guy in the whole state, i will have an answer for you on monday or tuesday.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:13 PM
Instructor

Stick it in the dipstick hole.......ya dipstick!
Old 09-09-2005, 04:25 PM
Not Asian

I'm going to have to go with civicking on this one. It's the same reason why they tell you to fill the oil in the crank case and not the dipstick. I'll just try to apply a little more mustard.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:18 PM
Blown is Best

I'm going to have to go with civicking on this one. It's the same reason why they tell you to fill the oil in the crank case and not the dipstick. I'll just try to apply a little more mustard.
1) There is a pan on the tranny to start with.
2) Many cars fill through the dipstick tube.
3) Why have a fill hole? Obviously it's the best way to refill a tranny when you're putting in multiple quarts.

There are many ways to refill a tranny. Just think about a tranny flush. Do you think new fluid only goes in through the fill hole?

If you want to only do it by the book, remove the oil jet tube from the revised fill plug. Then break the fill plug loose. Pour in your desired amount of fluid and you're done.

If you can't figure this one out by yourself, take it to the dealer and pull out your wallet.

This isn't rocket science
Old 09-10-2005, 08:27 AM
Not Asian

3) Why have a fill hole? Obviously it's the best way to refill a tranny when you're putting in multiple quarts.

There are many ways to refill a tranny. Just think about a tranny flush. Do you think new fluid only goes in through the fill hole?

If you want to only do it by the book, remove the oil jet tube from the revised fill plug. Then break the fill plug loose. Pour in your desired amount of fluid and you're done.

If you can't figure this one out by yourself, take it to the dealer and pull out your wallet.

Never said it was rocket science, so chill out. I'll figure it out, but I just wanted to get some quick suggestions first. I figure it doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:59 AM
Racer

first there is no trans pan show me take a pic to prove me wrong, there are 3 main parts the end cover, the trans housing and the torque converter housing. next yes many cars do fill through the dipstick but not the acura transmission. and i will find out the exact reason for the fill hole and will get back to you.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:07 PM
Racer

ok i got the answer, inside the trans there is a baffle above the differential, when you add through the fill plug the fluid first flows to the differential then it overflows the baffle and starts to fill the trans. the dipstick takes the fluid measurement from the trans side and if the trans side is full means that the differential is full. but if you add through the dipstick not enough fluid might get to the differential and it can over heat and get damaged. so that is the reason why you should add through the fill plug and not the dipstick, engineers don't waste their time/money making a fill plug for no reason like i said before.