ACURA touchup paint, NOT good match?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 01:53 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACURA touchup paint, NOT good match?

Hey, i have a Nighthawk Black Pearl cl. I was using some touchup paint and it doesn't have the bluish specs like the real paint. It is more of a straight black. It's from acura, is this the same as everyone elses, or is mine expired or something. If it is the same, is there a way to get is more like the rest of car and the blue specs. Can i get a custom made set or something? Thanks
Old 11-12-2002, 02:01 PM
Buckle Up

When I used the Silver one from acura...it didnt match right. It wont b/c its made for small spots and is not up to body shop par. It looks better w/ it then without it.
Old 11-12-2002, 02:15 PM

i bought red touch up paint and it didnt match either, It had the sparkles and what not, just my paint had faded i guess.
Old 11-12-2002, 02:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Try www.paintscratch.com I have a SSM TL and their paint matches very well. Not sure about NBP.
Old 11-12-2002, 04:20 PM
13 Second CLS Defender :)

I actually used the HONDA variety. I think the honda Nighthawk Black Pearl is different # but it was an identical match. I used it on my rear bumber on the lower corner where some twat bump/scratched me. Came out great.. no complaint and i cant tell where it is unless im washing the car and see it and remember the spot.
Old 11-12-2002, 04:49 PM
www.drippinwet.com

my Acura silver touch up paint matched perfect
Old 11-12-2002, 06:38 PM
BC
nearsighted visionary

Make sure your paint is well stirred, not shaken. . I believe the metallic flakes are mica, a naturally occuring geologic element. Think a type of rock. This light reflecting element may have settled to the bottom.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:40 PM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by NSXNEXT
Try www.paintscratch.com I have a SSM TL and their paint matches very well. Not sure about NBP.
Their Metallic Satin Silver will not match OEM's. Their is darker and different shade.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Note about matching:

If you lose the primer -- especially on areas where the base metal or plastic is very different in shade and color than the factory primer -- you are not going to get a match. This is a separate issue, but people should be aware of it. I don't know what the story was, but the Nissan touch-up paint for my Maxima matched perfectly when there was primer left on the car. Any scratch repairs without primer (and some tricks) looked hideous. I found a gray paint stick that was close to the factory primer color to put under the final color; it worked very well with small area fixes. At one point some duffus rubbed-off a half-inch of my bumper's paint and thankfully missed the primer. I managed to use a paint stick and some wet sanding to return the bumper to new (you'd need to get it into some street lighting to even tell that it was done).

1. If you have lost primer -- it isn't going to match (see preceding paragraph).

2. Try to either shake or stir the contents (you can sometimes alter the shade a bit by too little or too much shaking. If the color is a bit off, you can use that to your advantage.

3. The Acura Satin Silver is a tad off (thank god I've only just tried un low spot to test). I've used other colors and brands on other cars with wet sanding to fix key scratches and I’ve "gotten away" with it. The results have varied depending on the "batch" of paint stick. Sometimes you can find a near perfect match on one bottle and find a real loser in another.

YMMV
Old 11-13-2002, 06:15 PM
Pro

Re: ACURA touchup paint, NOT good match?

Originally posted by PeterY
Hey, i have a Nighthawk Black Pearl cl. I was using some touchup paint and it doesn't have the bluish specs like the real paint. It is more of a straight black. It's from acura, is this the same as everyone elses, or is mine expired or something. If it is the same, is there a way to get is more like the rest of car and the blue specs. Can i get a custom made set or something? Thanks
You'll be hard pressed to find any touch up paint that will match perfectly. I wanted the front clip on my truck painted, so I thought they could just match the paint from the VIN. Wrong! They pulled out a book of paint chips, and there was at least 10 for the Pewter on my truck! It depends on the paint lot, and when your car was painted.

If you're lucky, the touchup paint was made from a lot that was similar to your car, otherwise, you can get a good bodyshop to match a vial for ya.

Old 11-13-2002, 06:49 PM
Got BOOST????

Originally posted by acura_service
my Acura silver touch up paint matched perfect

Mine matched pretty good too.
Old 11-14-2002, 12:31 PM
on a 10 mile ride

My dealer didn't even have the Gold touch-up in stock, it wasn't on their reorder form and they said I had to buy a 3-pack if they were going to figure out how to reorder it.

The point of my front bumber got nicked so black shows, I may have to put the dam license plate holder back on and I don't want to do that. Maybe it's time for the nose mask.

'cept that may suck too - any thoughts? I'm sure the paint will look like crap.
Old 11-14-2002, 12:48 PM
My Home Planet

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The touch up paint you use must mach the paint code of the car. Just having red honda touch up paint, won't mean it matches all red honda cars.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:48 PM
Racer

The paint on your car will be different from the touchup . One reason is your paint will start to fade a little depending on your enviorment and will not match. the only way to get a match it to get one matched to the car from a body shop.
if you ever go to a body shop that tries to use the paint code to paint for your car . run away fast. they Dont know what they are doing.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by 360
The paint on your car will be different from the touchup . One reason is your paint will start to fade a little depending on your enviorment and will not match. the only way to get a match it to get one matched to the car from a body shop.
if you ever go to a body shop that tries to use the paint code to paint for your car . run away fast. they Dont know what they are doing.

Not only that...

If you ever get bodywork or paint done, don’t pick the car up at night (no matter how bad you want the car).

We had a bumper painted and found a little ding they put in the door (not the end of the story). If not for that ding and the BS way they tried to cover it up (with touch-up paint), I wouldn't have returned the next day in full daylight to see that the paint, that matched in the indoor lighting, wasn't matching in daylight. It got a complete re-do; and we will never visit those jokers again.

And, if you are really concerned about your "baby", take the car out after it passes the daylight test and see how it looks under some of those "NASTY" street lamps: Mercury Vapor look kind'a bluish and the sodium variety look kind of yellow. IMO, if you can't tell any difference under those spectrum-challenged lamps and in daylight, you got a good match!