Acura lineup

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2001 | 03:50 AM
| Infinitely Variable |

Acura lineup

hey,I wonder if Honda monitors this message board but here's what I'd like Acura lineup to be like:

RL = 4.5 litre and 5.0 litre V8 with an all wheel drive sporty version of the 5.0 version.and a special limited edition v12 Now thats wishful thinking

TL = 3.5 V6 rear wheel drive and 4.0 V8 Type S with all wheel drive sys

CL = 3.5 v6. i am not too hot on coupes with 8 cylinders.

A three series fighter.should be smaller in size for better handling etc etc.

NSX = available with v8 and a v12.

MDX = present v6 and a 4.5 v8 to counter the land cruisers and LX 470s.

RSX = hate to say this but the prototype is a real disappointment. all models be 2.0 4 cylinder engines except for type S with 2.5 v6..hummmm

Although all this will probably never happen but Hiroyuki Yoshino (Honda's CEO for those who didn't know) if you are reading this please take this into consideration.
Guys please post what you'd like to see in the Acura lineup.
Thanx for reading
Old 02-06-2001 | 03:56 AM
IDRSLOW

How about just get rid of RS-X and put it in the Honda line up ?

------------------
2001 Acura CL Type-S. Blk/Blk w/Navi, Spoiler, All Season Floor Mats, Mahogany Shift Knob, Mud Guards, PIAA Super Plasma High Beams, PIAA 19169 Platinum Super White Wedge Bulbs, 20% / 5% Tints.

So far four door dings, DVD Navigation System Unit Replaced, both Driver and Passenger side Seat Back fell off, and replaced both Wipers and Wind Shield.

[This message has been edited by rurofan (edited 02-06-2001).]
Old 02-06-2001 | 04:00 AM
Suzuka Master

...and a partridge in a pare tree

would you like some fries with that lineup?

I agree with ruro.

Just wishful thinking on my part: if the SEMA car will be in production sometime in the future, I'd be saving up my nickels and dimes right now.
------------------
- Kvit -
2001 CL-P Blue Sub 6
Polarg BlHybrid M-6 Road lamps
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...725&a=10358832

Club Events Moderator

[This message has been edited by KavexTrax (edited 02-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by KavexTrax (edited 02-06-2001).]
Old 02-06-2001 | 04:18 AM
7th Gear

I like this lineup:

RSX - 2.0L 240 hp 3 dr hatch
SL (3-series competitor)- standard 2.7L V6 210 hp, optional 3.2L V6 240 hp
TL - standard 3.2L V6 265 hp, optional 3.2L V6 300 hp
CL - same as above
RL - 4.5L V8 360 hp, optional 400 hp version
NSX - 4.0L V8 440 hp
MDX - 3.5L V6 245 hp, optional 4.5L V8 315 hp
Old 02-06-2001 | 04:19 AM
Pro

Awais: So you're saying that Acura should carry 13 different cars/engine combinations, w/o including any possible 3-series fighters. Considering that each model comes in on average of 5 colors, and each model may have options vastly consolidated to 4 combinations per model, we're talking about 260 varieties of cars each dealer must stock on their lot.

And seven different engines just for Acura?

Be realistic. Lexus has a product line of four different engines. BMW has four different engines and two M-variants based off of shared blocks. Mercedes has five different engines and 2 AMG-variants based off of shared blocks. All these companies are bigger and have more resources at their disposal than Honda/Acura.

Finally, companies never pay any attention to what consumers SAY they want. They pay attention to what consumers actually want, as evidenced by their spending habits.

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH

[This message has been edited by DtEW (edited 02-06-2001).]
Old 02-06-2001 | 04:40 AM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DtEW:
Finally, companies never pay any attention to what consumers SAY they want. They pay attention to what consumers actually want, as evidenced by their spending habits.

</font>
But don't you think that's a bit self fulfulling? No one can buy something that doesn't exist. So if a loyal Honda/Acura buyer walks into the dealer to buy a new car, he's going to buy whatever's for sale. If the CL-S had the option of a manual, I'd have bought it. But instead, I bought the CL-S with SportShift. You'd say I really wanted the SportShift since that's what I bought. I'd say I settled for the SportShift to get the rest of the car.

I do agree with your point about too many engine combos. Integra aside, I think Acura would do fine with 4 engines. A 3.x liter V6, a 4.x liter V8, and a Type S version of each. How about this?

CL/TL- V6 or V6-S (like now)
RL- V8 or V8-S
MDX- V6 or V8

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CL Type S with Spoiler and Navi
Old 02-06-2001 | 09:49 AM
Number 37

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by civicdxturbo:
I like this lineup:

RSX - 2.0L 240 hp 3 dr hatch
SL (3-series competitor)- standard 2.7L V6 210 hp, optional 3.2L V6 240 hp
TL - standard 3.2L V6 265 hp, optional 3.2L V6 300 hp
CL - same as above
RL - 4.5L V8 360 hp, optional 400 hp version
NSX - 4.0L V8 440 hp
MDX - 3.5L V6 245 hp, optional 4.5L V8 315 hp
</font>
So.... you aren't really illiterate?

------------------
Please have a crane drop on my car so I have to buy a new CL-S. But wait till I'm not in the car. Thanks
Old 02-06-2001 | 05:05 PM
Pro

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mdaniel:
But don't you think that's a bit self fulfulling? No one can buy something that doesn't exist.</font>
Not at all. As much as every car on the market is unique, there are always class competitors that indicate the amount of interest in said category of cars. Hate to keep bringing this particular example up, but Lexus saw the demand for the IS300 by the sales of the 3-series/A4/C-class. Is the IS300 the same as any of these? No. But it is close enough that a percentage of people whose interest was indicated by the sales of the 3-series/A4/C-class would be swayed.

It's very rare that a car manufacture sees demand where there isn't something else to indicate it. That's why Iacocca was hailed as a genius when he saw and conceived the ponycar. GM had to give Ford the market for a few years before they could come up with a ponycar of their own.

For the very same reason, the New Beetle and PT Cruiser were hailed.

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH

[This message has been edited by DtEW (edited 02-06-2001).]
Old 02-06-2001 | 05:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

It is funny that everyone here listed one variable about what they would wish to see Acura do. And that is engine size and HP ratings. It is just amazing to me that you guys have nothing more to say. Seeing this, I have to assume that what you believe is that the engine makes the car/car-line-up.

There were one or two comments about which wheels would carry the power to the ground, but that is pretty much it. What about other things like suspension, steering, weight, general dimensions like length, height and width? Trannys? How about features and interiors? If you guys like engines, go buy a TransAm or a Cobra. These cars are engine first and everything else second.

And why so much disappointment about the RSX/Integra? Because of its 2 liter engine? What is wrong with that? The class it is competing in, mandates that engine size pretty much (especially when Honda can make it pack 200HP+).

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S
Old 02-06-2001 | 06:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

wishful thinking boys, but i think acura needs the RL to be it's only flagship with the NSX being it's only exotic. the CL and TL should always have the same engine specs with the two trims, the MDX is a small SUV and thats what it should stay. standard v6. only the RL and NSX should have a v8. as for the RSX, it should stay a four banger, but with the s2000 engine, being however front wheel drive. the RL, TL and CL should be rear wheel drive, and the NSX should have an optional AWD.

------------------
YuppieCL
'90 Accord LX
'01 3.2CL Type S
#6487, Satin Silver, Navi, Spoiler, Comptech springs, 35% Llumar window tint
PhotoPoint Pics!
Old 02-06-2001 | 08:09 PM
7th Gear

OK, a more realistic lineup:

RSX - 2.0L I4 220 hp, FWD, 3-door hatch only, Type R should be 240 hp, double wishbone, standard leather, xenons, 6 disc CD changer. 6 speed manual or 5 speed auto.

EL - 4 door only. 2.7L V6 200 hp, Type S 3.2L V6 225 hp. RWD, competes with 3, IS, C, A4. 6 speed manual/5 speed auto.

TL - 4 door, FWD, standard 3.2L V6 240 hp, Type S 3.2L V6 270 hp. 5 speed auto, 6 speed manual available in Type S only.

CL - RWD, based off S2K or "EL" platform. standard 3.2L V6 245 hp, Type S 3.2L V6 275 hp, 6 speed manual/5 speed auto.

RL - RWD, standard 4.2L V8 350 hp, Type S 4.2L V8 400 hp. standard 5 speed auto, 6 speed manual available in Type S only.

NSX - RWD, standard 4.2L V8 430 hp. 6 speed manual only. Type Zero or Type S should have 4.2L V8 450+ hp, standard AWD, 911 Turbo killer.

MDX - AWD, standard 3.5L V6 245 hp, optional 4.2L V8 300 hp. 5 speed auto only.

S2200 - S2k switch over to Acura brand name, 2.2L I4 250 hp, 6 speed manual only.

S3200 - same as above but with 3.2L V6 270 hp and optional 5 speed auto to become more of a luxo roadster, while S2200 will be race-bred roadster.
Old 02-06-2001 | 08:11 PM
7th Gear

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nootch:
So.... you aren't really illiterate?
</font>
Yes, right now I'm not near my Civic.

Now i am in my civik. civik has magnetik feeld, evary time i go neer civik i tipe like dis.

[This message has been edited by civicdxturbo (edited 02-06-2001).]
Old 02-06-2001 | 08:28 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rurofan:
How about just get rid of RS-X and put it in the Honda line up ?

</font>
DITTO
Old 02-07-2001 | 07:27 AM
| Infinitely Variable |

Good point DtEW.
This is the new line up:
RL = 4.5 V8 RWD and Type S AWD
TL = 3.5 V6 and optional V8 variant
CL = 3.5 V6
MDX = 3.5 V6 and 4.5 V8
RSX = 2.0 inline 4 and 2.3 from Accord with two extra cylinders( for type S)

In the end three things I'd like Honda to change.
the interior of TL and CL.when you compare the interior of these two cars with other luxury brands it just doesn't hold up well.
Should do away with fake wood!
and last but not the least paint job should atleast rival Lexus if not Merc.
DtEW I'd like to read your response
Old 02-07-2001 | 02:08 PM
Cruisin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Awais:
Good point DtEW.
This is the new line up:
CL = 3.5 V6
MDX = 3.5 V6 and 4.5 V8

the interior of TL and CL.when you compare the interior of these two cars with other luxury brands it just doesn't hold up well.
</font>
I definately agrees with Awais about Acura should really improve their paint job and get rid of those fake wood trims.
Old 02-07-2001 | 05:47 PM
Pro

Good point DtEW.
This is the new line up:
CL = 3.5 V6
MDX = 3.5 V6 and 4.5 V8

</font>
Where's the NSX?

------------------
2001 Satin silver CL-S
* no navi, spoiler, mudguards
* wheel locks, full front mask
* fenderwell and door trim
* soon Comptech springs and sways
* 5% tint rear side, back
Old 02-07-2001 | 07:30 PM
Adult Supervision

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by civicdxturbo:
Yes, right now I'm not near my Civic.

Now i am in my civik. civik has magnetik feeld, evary time i go neer civik i tipe like dis.

[This message has been edited by civicdxturbo (edited 02-06-2001).]
</font>
Nootch - I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING

I AM LAUGHING MY ASS OFF RIGHT NOW AT BOTH OF YOU!

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 19169 & 9005, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, no headers, no sway bars, no springs, no money!
Old 02-08-2001 | 04:30 AM
Pro

IMO, you're thinking a bit too far ahead.

I'm fairly convinced that the upcoming RL/Legend replacement is going to be the fork in Acura's existence that will determine if they're going to compete with the luxury big boys (Mercedes, BMW, now Audi and Lexus), or fall by the wayside as a 2nd-tier luxury marque in the same way that Lincoln and Cadillac has. If the new RL/Legend can establish itself as a viable alternative to the products of the luxury big boys, it will give the marque the clout necessary to remake its lineup per your suggestion.

How about this for a thought exercise: consider what the upcoming RL/Legend needs to be in order to be the viable alternative to products of the luxury big boys. Consider pricing, content, size, focus, target, etc. Do remember that a low price limits content, size, turns off a percentage of buyers, and gives you less revenue to work with in remaking the company... unless you utilize certain techniques (hint hint, TL and CL) which can reduce your costs.

This is the new line up:
<edited>
</font>

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH
Old 02-08-2001 | 01:50 PM
| Infinitely Variable |

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DtEW:
IMO, you're thinking a bit too far ahead.

I'm fairly convinced that the upcoming RL/Legend replacement is going to be the fork in Acura's existence that will determine if they're going to compete with the luxury big boys (Mercedes, BMW, now Audi and Lexus), or fall by the wayside as a 2nd-tier luxury marque in the same way that Lincoln and Cadillac has. If the new RL/Legend can establish itself as a viable alternative to the products of the luxury big boys, it will give the marque the clout necessary to remake its lineup per your suggestion.

How about this for a thought exercise: consider what the upcoming RL/Legend needs to be in order to be the viable alternative to products of the luxury big boys. Consider pricing, content, size, focus, target, etc. Do remember that a low price limits content, size, turns off a percentage of buyers, and gives you less revenue to work with in remaking the company... unless you utilize certain techniques (hint hint, TL and CL) which can reduce your costs.

Originally posted by Awais:
This is the new line up:
<edited>
</font>

You are damn right.I hope they don't use the cost cutting techniques that they used with TL and CL.
e1828
NSX = 4.5 V8 same as RL but with more power

Old 02-08-2001 | 09:40 PM
Pro

You are damn right.I hope they don't use the cost cutting techniques that they used with TL and CL.</font>
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of options consolidation to reduce logistics overhead, and platform-sharing to reduce engineering costs.

NSX = 4.5 V8 same as RL but with more power</font>
Ah, but here's the rub. If the new RL/Legend is going to be RWD, the engine will be mounted longitudinally, and the engine mounts on the block will reflect that. All Japanese mid-engined cars have had their engines mounted transversely, for both legitimate and heritage reasons. You see, Honda earned its place in racing history by capturing the the first F1 victory for a Japanese manufacturer with a transverse-engined car at a time when everyone else was using longitudinal-engined cars. (This configuration has been adopted by all Japanese makes as a kind of an ode to Japanese ingenuiety. In contrast, most European mid or rear engined cars are still longitudinally mounted.) So a transverse engine in a MR car is a Honda tradition. If the engine is going to be shared with the presumably longitudinally-engined RL/Legend, are they going to throw tradition to the wind, or develop a new block to maintain it?

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH
Old 02-08-2001 | 10:29 PM
Suzuka Master

well, they are breaking that gentlemen's (275?) hp agreement, why not kill 2 birds with one stone?.

sometimes traditions hinder growth rather than foster it...wait, that's getting too preachy.

[This message has been edited by mrdeeno (edited 02-08-2001).]