The Acura CL S-type

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 08:50 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Acura CL S-type

Guys I've been reading these forums for quite a while - quite a while even before I joined this site and I've been reading a lot more than I've posted since I've joined. I more than understand how people on these various automotive discussion boards whine and complain about their cars but the Acura CL3.2 S-Type deserves more credit than a lot of people give it. I test drove the S-Type when they first came out but I was still driving my 2.2 at that time. My only true gripe about this car is the angle of the sunroof simply allows too much wind noise and I'm not about to buy that retarded looking spoiler thing and attach it to the roof of my car to kill the wind noise. I also wish the sunroof opened a little more but otherwise this car is bulletproof perfect for the price and the class it's in.

People complain about this car being too heavy but considering what all this car is loaded with and it's still a sporty car says alot. Some people complain about the SS mode being worthless but the 2004 BMW 5 series also has SS mode so it can't be all that bad. I test drove a 2006 350Z track edition HARD and I wasn't so thoroughly impressed that I baught one. Of course the 350Z absorbs the road and handles better than the CL S but the shiney aluminum-looking pieces of the instrumentation cluster made me feel more like I was sitting in one of those video game consoles rather than a sports car. The steering wheel obstructs most of the view to the guages and the seats do NOT hug you in a 350Z like the seats in a CL S does. The deal breaker was the trunk space in the 350Z. an early 90's 300ZX has more trunk space than the 06'. You can fit a shopping bag in an 06' 350Z and that's about it. The acceleration isn't so overwhelming that I just had to have a 350Z.

I can tell you I've been looking at my CL S for years and I still can't get enough of looking at this car. I've owned two cars with MT, driven two Chevy trucks, and raced circle track and I can truly appreciate SS mode. I didn't go for the CL S 6spd because sometimes I feel like shifting and sometimes I just want to sit back and enjoy. I've searched high and low on the internet, magazines, newspapers, and in person and I couldn't find a better car for what Acura designed the CL S to do. Some people say you have to actually buy a car and own it to really get a good feel of the car but that doesn't apply to me. When I test drove the first CL S years ago for only 15 minutes I made up my mind right then and there that the CL S was the car for me. Years later I've owned and driven many cars and I still ended up buying the CL S because it is such a well-rounded, purposeful car.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:01 AM
Luckiest Man on Earth.

You forgot to mention the glass tranny, pathetic brake system, and its various rattles.

Edit your post after you're on tranny #3. The CL-S is a good car, but its far from bulletproof. No car is.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:02 AM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Still think it's a decent car. If I had to do it all over again, I'll probably still get my CL. Even the automatic. I enjoyed being a CLs driver.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:16 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jared03CLS
You forgot to mention the glass tranny, pathetic brake system, and its various rattles.

Edit your post after you're on tranny #3. The CL-S is a good car, but its far from bulletproof. No car is.

I can do even better than that. I had to replace the driver's side window actuator, valve cover gasket (HARD, HARD driving) and the tranny in my 97 CL2.2 but I was still crazy about that car. I almost started crying while I was cleaning my belongings out before I sold it.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
the angle of the sunroof simply allows too much wind noise
Open or closed? Cause closed I don't get any wind noise from that area. Open yeah it's a bit loud, but if you tape that stock pop up deflector down it eliminates the wind noise.
If your getting a lot of noise closed, maybe the glass needs to be adjusted.

Glad you happy, it is a good car. I wouldn't buy an auto though. If the 6mt never came out I wouldn't be driving the CLS. I'm not dealing with the tranny issues.

Rattles? I've been lucky & haven't had any in 3 CL's I had. ...I should restate that, none that I DID NOT induce.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:26 AM
Instructor

...and how many automobile manufacturers do you know of that would be so compliant with having the infamous tranny replaced in their product?
Old 12-19-2006, 09:30 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
Open or closed? Cause closed I don't get any wind noise from that area. Open yeah it's a bit loud, but if you tape that stock pop up deflector down it eliminates the wind noise.
If your getting a lot of noise closed, maybe the glass needs to be adjusted.

Glad you happy, it is a good car. I wouldn't buy an auto though. If the 6mt never came out I wouldn't be driving the CLS. I'm not dealing with the tranny issues.

Rattles? I've been lucky & haven't had any in 3 CL's I had. ...I should restate that, none that I DID NOT induce.
The wind noise is with the sunroof open. I could tell even before I got in the car for the first time that would be a problem from the angle of the roof. I get no chatter or wind noise with the sunroof closed. In fact I may have to invest in earplugs - the sunroof seals so tight when I close it my eardrums implode.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:31 AM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
@ S-Type Its not a jaguar

You can't compare the SS mode in the CLS to the SS mode in a BMW 5 series either The BMW implementation is much better design.

I was really torn between an 03 mustang cobra and my 03 CLS 6mt. If I had to do over again I would probably go with the mustang, just for the sheer horsepower capabilty
Old 12-19-2006, 09:37 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Why is he seemingly trying to sell us on this car, maybe it is himself he is trying to sell. Ok, I buy it all, but not the disposable automatic tranny. This car is much more fun with the reliable 6 speed anyway. (I don't even want to think about someone buying a Z with an autotranny).
Old 12-19-2006, 10:20 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,095 Posts
I have an auto and have had 0 problems with it since I bought the car, but then again I have a late production 03, so maybe that's why, plus the tranny cooler as added protection. I think USURPER is trying to make up for all those people on this site that always put the CL-S down for it's flaws, but miss the big picture that it's almost imposible to find a better or more optioned out car for the money. After I bought my CL-S and joined this site I found out about the tranny issues and other miscellanious problems that people faced with the CL, but honestly I've only experienced it being a solid car that can take out a lot of cars that cost a hell of a lot more money and are RWD. The only issues I've had are ones that I created, i.e. putting a crappy intake on the car and not replacing the crappy bolts that come with the XS headers. Other than those problems, oh and a55holes that back into your bumpers, in it's stock form the car is awesome and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the same class or price range.

Again, I think USURPER is trying to balance out those of us who choose to complain more than praise the CL for what a great car it is. And another addition to this is that you'll notice that those who choose to complain all the time about the tranny, brakes, etc had the option to choose another car, but for some reason still went with the CL-S, because it makes up for those flaws with a smooth quiet ride, ample power and Honda reliability, sans those early trannys. Brakes can be upgraded and trannys can be replaced and are now warrantied for 109k miles, but you can't make a Mustang or a 350Z ride as smooth as a CL and I won't even get into interior quality or body panel fit and finish issues with most "powerful" cars. I love my CL and I'm thankful and humble everyday that I get to drive such a sweet ride. (tear, sniff, sniff)
Old 12-19-2006, 10:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Great car....get a 6mt...and drive that biznitch into the ground....nothings perfect and someone is always gonna complain about something...thats life...

i love the cls to death...everytime i look at it im like man who has that hot car...oh i do...lol...cant take my eyes off it...

but...my cd player is stuck...Anyone had that before...and the little card tray is stuck now...little annoyances that cause me to complain...but i wouldnt trade it for anything right now....until i can afford somethiing like a marcelargo or that kind of car status...
Old 12-19-2006, 10:27 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Originally Posted by AcUrAge703
Great car....get a 6mt...and drive that biznitch into the ground....nothings perfect and someone is always gonna complain about something...thats life...

i love the cls to death...everytime i look at it im like man who has that hot car...oh i do...lol...cant take my eyes off it...

but...my cd player is stuck...Anyone had that before...and the little card tray is stuck now...little annoyances that cause me to complain...but i wouldnt trade it for anything right now....until i can afford somethiing like a marcelargo or that kind of car status...
What do you mean your CD player is stuck? You can't load and unload the discs? And the storage tray?
Old 12-19-2006, 10:31 AM
Instructor

The assine comments are really and truly annoying and unecessary. This particular site is notorious for people thinking they're the resident paid spokesperson for Acura and every other automobile manufacturer on the planet when this is really just a discussion board where anyone is free to make an opinion.

If I said I like the SS mode in the 2002 CL S that's what I meant, particularly, when I had the choice of getting the 2003 CL S 6spd. And yes I can compare the Acura's SS mode to BMW's SMT since I own one as a family car. They're both the same concept and you get similar results - end of story.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CLariSe-169
I have an auto and have had 0 problems with it since I bought the car, but then again I have a late production 03, so maybe that's why, plus the tranny cooler as added protection. I think USURPER is trying to make up for all those people on this site that always put the CL-S down for it's flaws, but miss the big picture that it's almost imposible to find a better or more optioned out car for the money. After I bought my CL-S and joined this site I found out about the tranny issues and other miscellanious problems that people faced with the CL, but honestly I've only experienced it being a solid car that can take out a lot of cars that cost a hell of a lot more money and are RWD. The only issues I've had are ones that I created, i.e. putting a crappy intake on the car and not replacing the crappy bolts that come with the XS headers. Other than those problems, oh and a55holes that back into your bumpers, in it's stock form the car is awesome and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the same class or price range.

Again, I think USURPER is trying to balance out those of us who choose to complain more than praise the CL for what a great car it is. And another addition to this is that you'll notice that those who choose to complain all the time about the tranny, brakes, etc had the option to choose another car, but for some reason still went with the CL-S, because it makes up for those flaws with a smooth quiet ride, ample power and Honda reliability, sans those early trannys. Brakes can be upgraded and trannys can be replaced and are now warrantied for 109k miles, but you can't make a Mustang or a 350Z ride as smooth as a CL and I won't even get into interior quality or body panel fit and finish issues with most "powerful" cars. I love my CL and I'm thankful and humble everyday that I get to drive such a sweet ride. (tear, sniff, sniff)

Ha ha haha ha haha!!! GET EM!! HA HAHA!!
Old 12-19-2006, 10:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AcUrAge703

That CD player is very, very sensitive in the CL S and probably easy to damage if you force a CD in it before it's ready to accept the CD in LOAD function. The CD player in my 2.2 would just GRAB a CD and suck it right in like a Venus flytrap, so took me a minute to get used to the sensitivity of the CD player in the CL S.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by USURPER
. They're both the same concept and you get similar results - end of story.

Your a jackass - end of story
Old 12-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
you know he forgot to mention all of the people on this site that own this car and all they do is complain about how this and that on the car sucks......

I'm with the OP...car is great perofrmance is there and best of all it does not look like bling bling on the inside like a lot of the newer cars do. I don't need chrome instrument cluster rings or imitation carbon fiber or cheesy looking brushed aluminum.......
Old 12-19-2006, 11:02 AM
Uses turn signals in my

A 2004+ TL auto would be a good compromise if you don't mind four-doors. The tranny's on those are suppose to be more solid.

I love my CL-S. Even my friends with 350zs, Mustangs, Lincoln Ls V8s, 3000gt vr-4s etc love my car as much or more than their car.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:40 AM
In the Mid-South meow

That CD player is very, very sensitive in the CL S and probably easy to damage if you force a CD in it before it's ready to accept the CD in LOAD function. The CD player in my 2.2 would just GRAB a CD and suck it right in like a Venus flytrap, so took me a minute to get used to the sensitivity of the CD player in the CL S.
Yep, that's what I'm figuring happened with his CD player, forcing the CD in makes it go . It took me a couple minutes to figure out you had to just let it grab the CD instead of pushing it into the slot. As far as the storage tray goes though I have no clue. You do know you have to push it in to get it to eject, right?
Old 12-19-2006, 11:45 AM
Got DEP???

The assine comments are really and truly annoying and unecessary. This particular site is notorious for people thinking they're the resident paid spokesperson for Acura and every other automobile manufacturer on the planet when this is really just a discussion board where anyone is free to make an opinion.

If I said I like the SS mode in the 2002 CL S that's what I meant, particularly, when I had the choice of getting the 2003 CL S 6spd. And yes I can compare the Acura's SS mode to BMW's SMT since I own one as a family car. They're both the same concept and you get similar results - end of story.
Insert ASSINE comment here - " "

Insert Asinine comment here - "There's no way you can do that... You're an ass..."

I'm only saying this, because you always use the word "assine" and it's not even a word. I'm sure people knew what you meant, but you need to relax.

This is not an attack on you or anyone in particular, just my opinion for everyone that is on this forum. There is a difference between giving an opinion and just being ignorant. Some of us just like to read and post things, but the arguments are kind of annoying when you are trying to read through a thread...

We need a new smiley for
:websitetoughguysyndrome:
Old 12-19-2006, 11:51 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Originally Posted by spdy0001
@ S-Type Its not a jaguar

You can't compare the SS mode in the CLS to the SS mode in a BMW 5 series either The BMW implementation is much better design.

I was really torn between an 03 mustang cobra and my 03 CLS 6mt. If I had to do over again I would probably go with the mustang, just for the sheer horsepower capabilty
Your a jackass - end of story
This is coming from someone that lists their eBay "Acura CL Type-S Door Sills" as a mod in their signiture. Wow-wee!!! And the red -S... impressive! If you're all about horsepower what are you getting door sills for and listing as a mod? :gheylaugh:

And to compare the Cobra with a CL-S... . Two completely different cars. If you wanted a Cobra's performanace then you should've gotten a Cobra, not a FWD luxury coupe. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

I just can't stand people that make ridiculous comments with nothing to back them up other than "your a jackass". If you hate your CL-S so much sell it and get what makes you happy instead of coming down on people that actually appreciate the CL-S.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:51 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
you know he forgot to mention all of the people on this site that own this car and all they do is complain about how this and that on the car sucks......

I'm with the OP...car is great perofrmance is there and best of all it does not look like bling bling on the inside like a lot of the newer cars do. I don't need chrome instrument cluster rings or imitation carbon fiber or cheesy looking brushed aluminum.......
You're right but I try to keep my comments as minimal as possible since it seems the moderators STILL allow people to attack other members but they close the thread of the person that's being attacked instead of warning the person that started the attacking in the first place or banning him.

Speaking as a professional certified graphic designer on of the best features about this car is it's clean, minimalist design. Some car designers don't understand the fact that the more risks they take in trying to be unique with all these drastic body lines and shiney instrumentation the quicker a car's design will become outdated. This car is clean and simple with no hood scoops, no ground effects, no bulging fenders, and no low-hanging front air dams.

Out of most of these automobile manufacturers it seems Acura has paid attention to its costomers. After decades of people going through the painstaking ordeal of stripping their cars down to look more trick the CL S comes from the factory already done.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Got DEP???

Yep, that's what I'm figuring happened with his CD player, forcing the CD in makes it go . It took me a couple minutes to figure out you had to just let it grab the CD instead of pushing it into the slot. As far as the storage tray goes though I have no clue. You do know you have to push it in to get it to eject, right?
Some CD's are to thick to work in automatic loading CD players...
Maybe that's the problem

The storage tray has a curved single piece of metal behind it (the spring) that pushes it out. If that somehow bent or broke off , it could cause the storage tray to stay in. Try using something on the sides to pull it out (you might need to push the tray in at the same time to release the latch) and check to see if hte spring is in there or if it got bent. It's only secured on one end (left side), so you could pull on the right end to bend it out some...
Old 12-19-2006, 03:34 PM

This is coming from someone that lists their eBay "Acura CL Type-S Door Sills" as a mod in their signiture. Wow-wee!!! And the red -S... impressive! If you're all about horsepower what are you getting door sills for and listing as a mod? :gheylaugh:

And to compare the Cobra with a CL-S... . Two completely different cars. If you wanted a Cobra's performanace then you should've gotten a Cobra, not a FWD luxury coupe. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

I just can't stand people that make ridiculous comments with nothing to back them up other than "your a jackass". If you hate your CL-S so much sell it and get what makes you happy instead of coming down on people that actually appreciate the CL-S.
Hey dicky the door sills aren't from ebay there were once offered on acura-cl.com as a group buy so get off my dick. Also I never said I was all about horsepower so you must need some reading lessons. Yes I know the CLS and mustang are two completely different cars, I never said otherwise. You are making alot of assumptions here. Once you have been around the forum for a little while and you know your ass from a tailpipe come back and talk to me
Old 12-19-2006, 05:38 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Hey dicky the door sills aren't from ebay there were once offered on acura-cl.com as a group buy so get off my dick. Also I never said I was all about horsepower so you must need some reading lessons. Yes I know the CLS and mustang are two completely different cars, I never said otherwise. You are making alot of assumptions here. Once you have been around the forum for a little while and you know your ass from a tailpipe come back and talk to me
You are one irrate SOB. I feel bad for you, you need to relax, take a deep breath, appreciate and enjoy life (as well as your CL-S) a little more, bud. Plus here's your quote:

If I had to do over again I would probably go with the mustang, just for the sheer horsepower capabilty
Now how does that not say I just want horsepower? If you would've choosen the CL-S over the Cobra, or in fact any other car that blends performance with luxury and reliability, then I'd understand your arguement, but there's one thing, and one thing only you get out of a Cobra, exactly what you said c0ckmuch, sheer horsepower capability. So I don't think I need a lesson in reading, you need a lesson in composing a paragraph where you say what you mean.

As far as you being on the site longer than I have and knowing "your ass from a tailpipe", so what? Does that mean everyone's knowledge of their car is based on how long they've been on here? If a freegen Acura technition joins this site tomorrow I'm gonna say he has more knowledge of the CL-S than you do. Nice try though.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:14 PM
Drinking Beer In

Old 12-19-2006, 09:57 PM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I wouldnt have bought my CL-S had it not been available with the 6 speed, and if the 03 TL-S had the 6 speed I would have gotten that instead. I think the TL-S has a meaner front end esp with the oem lip kit, and I def could have used more storage in the back seats a couple times.

My biggest bitch is the non-folding back seat ( my damn mustang has more utility than my CL), and the wheelhop under hard acceleration. Otherwise its a damn solid car for the $$ and I cant envision another car for $29k that I would rather own right now. I plan on having mine for 200k miles, so ultra perfect isnt that important to me, reliability is.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:28 AM
Banned

i love my 03 CL-S
Old 12-20-2006, 07:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joe5.0
I wouldnt have bought my CL-S had it not been available with the 6 speed, and if the 03 TL-S had the 6 speed I would have gotten that instead. I think the TL-S has a meaner front end esp with the oem lip kit, and I def could have used more storage in the back seats a couple times.

My biggest bitch is the non-folding back seat ( my damn mustang has more utility than my CL), and the wheelhop under hard acceleration. Otherwise its a damn solid car for the $$ and I cant envision another car for $29k that I would rather own right now. I plan on having mine for 200k miles, so ultra perfect isnt that important to me, reliability is.

That's funnny. The words "utility" and "CL3.2 Type S" should not be in the same sentence.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:45 AM
Instructor

I actually like the back seat. It's very rare that I'll be using the rear seat for passengers so the fact that it is specifically designed to only hold two people is cool with me. The ski hole is all I need but the TRUNK SPACE is what's badass to me. I'm always hauling something that simply would not fit in a 350Z trunk. Just last week I was shopping and I found just the right ottoman to match my office chair. I would have had to figure out how to tie it to my roof or just leave it at the store if I had a 350Z. I also still have a box with a 12" MTX sub that I took out of my 2.2 that I'm thinking about dropping in my CL S. You sure as hell can't fit a Sub box in a 350Z or an S2000.