'96-era Impala SS goes down twice.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 07:58 PM
Old timer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'96-era Impala SS goes down twice.

Silly guy in a '96 Impala SS with temp tags musta thought he was hot shit the other evening. On the way home from work he's in front of me and there's a slow car in front of him. It's a one-lane each way road but eventually it branches into 2-lanes each way right before a traffic light. The light was red and, typical Marylander that he is, Captain Slowheart in his '89 Dodge Omni stays in the left lane as he comes up to the light.

The Impala does the same and I brake slowly and head for the right lane. Impala sees this and cuts over in front of me, not a very smart move, but less so given the weather conditions - roads were wet from rain that had just ended.

I was paying attention so I was able to stop without rear ending him, but it was definitely an asshole move. I let it go and was admiring the car since I like the '96-style Impies. The temp tags caught my eye.

The light goes green and he eases into first but then floors it, as I can see from the fish-tailing he does. I follow him and in a second or two we're past Captain Slowheart's Dodge Omni so I move over to the left lane and punch it since the Impala driver is winding out whatever gear he's in. I walk up to him and let off and glance over for a second.

He musta been pissed so he floors it and by the time I floor my car he's about a car ahead. I walk past him again and take it up to around 80mph and let off for safety (wet weather). He's a few cars back.

Learned him good. =)
Old 10-27-2002, 08:30 PM
I hate the Mets

Stupid with any any wet ground but I woulda done the same thing...Nice!
Old 10-27-2002, 08:37 PM
Lone Star Rider

Good kill on the Pimpala!

Old 10-29-2002, 02:28 PM
An ETC Owner

Originally posted by SickCL
Good kill on the Pimpala!

lol pimpala!!!!
Old 10-29-2002, 02:30 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i thought those things had like 350 hp
Old 10-29-2002, 02:42 PM

Those things are heavy as fooooook....

Those things ALWAYS wanna race us!
Old 10-29-2002, 05:28 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by darrinb
i thought those things had like 350 hp
285hp/340torque, IIRC. Same engine as the Camaro of the same vintage but a little more torque - LT1. 350chevysmallblock.

They run mid 15s.
Old 10-30-2002, 01:23 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by JRock
285hp/340torque, IIRC. Same engine as the Camaro of the same vintage but a little more torque - LT1. 350chevysmallblock.

They run mid 15s.
They come with 260hp stock, they are detuned from the camaro specs. I've heard of them running high 14s stock, but they only trap at like 90ish stock. They can get out of the hole pretty good. I personally know a few guys running low 13s and high 12s with them all motor, they of course have endless potential just like any LT1 powered car does.
Old 10-30-2002, 05:18 AM
Old timer

Ah you're right 260/330 are the numbers. But it's mid 15s stock. Yes they're modable. So's my car. His was stock. So was mine. I raped him. Without lube.
Old 10-30-2002, 12:03 PM
Suzuka Master

I was coming home a couple of weeks ago and get stopped at a light near home. Up pulls two kids in an LT1 powered Impala SS. The driver starts surging forward trying to initiate a race but this was a crowded area with the county Sheriff often at the Wendy's on the corner so I let him go. But up at the next light we both get stopped with no one around.

Needless to say he starts this lurching again. Light turned green and he got a jump on me in both reaction and me spinning. so I dropped to his rear bumper. But by the end of 1st I was almost even. I ran it through 2nd and was in front. Went to 3rd and then let off with me plenty far ahead considering I went only up to 70.

As I slowed fo my neighborhood the guys didn't even look over...
Old 10-30-2002, 08:29 PM
Old timer

He musta had a couple baby bolt-on mods like intake/exhaust, plus your wheelspin, plus your gearing. Because considering how I pulled on one, you should have outright walked him in your mean machine.

Then again my auto seems to be pretty quick for a stock one, and plus the outside temp was mid to high 40s F here.
Old 11-02-2002, 04:22 PM
Cruisin'

Hey JROCK! I really think the B.S. flag is in order on that kill.

It sounded just a little exagerated.

Nice kill though...

I had a run in with an Acura TL-S I think. I was comin from the track and lined up with one at the light. The guy didn't look at me, but his gurl did. I figured he didn't want none so I was gonna just rev a little and take off moderately. Light turned green and the f#cker nails it! I got caught with my mouth open and started to take off. I punched it too much and broke loose. I then peddled the throttle and by this time he had about a car and a half. I was actually surprised that I didn't catch him quickly. I started to reel him in at around 80 something, but about an 1/8 of a mile ahead was traffic. I wouldn't call that a kill for him or me, but I really wish I had another chance to go at it. My car weighed 4530 LBS with my fat @ss in it.

I'm still lookin for a TL to race...

Good Times...
Old 11-02-2002, 05:38 PM
Old timer

Well judging by your run in with the TL-S, I'd say my story is right on.

You raced a TL-S with your (I am guessing heavily) modded Impala and couldn't catch up to him, right? I'd say that means that stock Impala with the asshole driver I ran into should have fallen just like he did.

Btw, there was an Impala SS up on one of the lifts at work when I got there yesterday. It was nice to see underneath one - true dual exhaust is sweet!

I also like that paintjob you have in the pic you linked to.

btw, I just clarified my initial post because I just noticed it sounded like I was calling the Impala driver slow. I was talking about the third car that was holding us both up in traffic.
Old 11-02-2002, 06:26 PM
Instructor

i belive jrock i took one on halloween night we made three runs,
from the line to 110k from 50k - 120k , and from 80k-140k each time i blew him a way. from the line it wasn't even close.

the impala had headers and a chip and the driver was in his early fifties.
he told me that the other night he got walked on from a tl type s and thought it was a fluke.

up in canada 24 degrees and crusing got to luve the colder weather
Old 11-03-2002, 01:10 PM
Cruisin'

I gotta give you Acura guys props. Those 4 door models aint no joke. I love a good race, even if I lose. Thanks for the words about my baby!

I do love dual exhausts. I have Afterburner headers and 2.5 dynomax exhaust with muffler, resonators and H-pipe. I've ran 14.2's so far with full weight, but I know she can do 13's.
I can't wait to get to the track and BTW they are having an Import vs. Detroit Muscle shootout today at Englishtown. I can't go cause today I work two jobs Sat. and Sun back to back(mod money).
One thing that drove me to the Impala SS is the fact that it's collectable and big people have room. Not to mention the LT1 engine. If I throw an aftermarket cam in I can go from low 14's to low 13's with tuning.
Now that's getting your moneys worth.
Check out this site. It has the fastest Impalas out there:http://www.karl-ellwein.org/
Then click on THE FAST TIMES PAGE on the top left.
Talk to yall later...
Old 11-03-2002, 03:58 PM
Instructor

heavy ass

luv the picture

your right the car is a collectors item and are very rare in my area.

not a popular car for young people, local police used them during those years an still do. cops are now running ford 150;s
nice thing with chevy , there lots of bolt ons for cheap.

if your running low low 14;s your going to surprise a lot people
Old 11-04-2002, 12:09 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
LOL i never raced with a Pimpala before... cuz on the freeway they look more like cops than anything else !!!
Old 11-04-2002, 01:41 PM
Cruisin'

That must be why I don't get many races! You'd think that after they see the black ss stripes they'd know.

Oh well, at least I have the track...
Old 11-04-2002, 01:55 PM
Instructor

heavy SS

your right the stripes should be a give away,
the one i raced was plain white at first i thought it was a ghost car.
you've done a hella of a job with your car, i wish i could see it in person.

do you have other pictures to show?

I'm not sure how long you've had the car but you would think that word would spread around that your a force to be reckon with.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:32 PM
go like hell

We got these guys at my college that goes to school to be a mechanics so these guys can do motor swaps in their sleep. well anyhow I talked with this one with a mid 90's Impala SS. HE SWAPPED IN A LS1 MOTOR (he pulled it out of a Camero SS that was rolled) then he had it bored and the heads ported and polished headers and all kinds of mods) but I wouldn't surprise me if he could run a low 14 or mid 13's
I think a 6 speed with a Comptech S/C would give him a good run
Old 11-13-2002, 01:43 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Heavyss:

It seems that basically alot of allmotor mods is the best route to take with this car. Any ideas on if adding a superhcarge or turbo is worth it. A friend from work is always talking about getting a '96 Impala SS and i'm always busting chops saying they aren't the quickest in stock form and she always comes back with the idea of adding a blower. Is it worth it at all to apply forced induction or stay with an allmotor setup??

Also what kind of money are we talking about as far as getting into the high 12's low 13's?

It seems your definately the guy to ask quesitons about for this subject. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:52 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Heavyss
I gotta give you Acura guys props. Those 4 door models aint no joke. I love a good race, even if I lose. Thanks for the words about my baby!

I do love dual exhausts. I have Afterburner headers and 2.5 dynomax exhaust with muffler, resonators and H-pipe. I've ran 14.2's so far with full weight, but I know she can do 13's.
I can't wait to get to the track and BTW they are having an Import vs. Detroit Muscle shootout today at Englishtown. I can't go cause today I work two jobs Sat. and Sun back to back(mod money).
One thing that drove me to the Impala SS is the fact that it's collectable and big people have room. Not to mention the LT1 engine. If I throw an aftermarket cam in I can go from low 14's to low 13's with tuning.
Now that's getting your moneys worth.
Check out this site. It has the fastest Impalas out there:http://www.karl-ellwein.org/
Then click on THE FAST TIMES PAGE on the top left.
Talk to yall later...

I agree, my girl drives an Acura TL ''S'' and its a very fun car. I couldnt get her to race it, or me at the track so I still dono how fast it really is. Anyways... Heavy, what the heck are you doing on this forum? We all miss you very much, and I for one still enjoy the rims you did for me.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:11 PM
where is....

umm dude your talking to a guy from 4-5 years ago in this thread
Old 01-09-2007, 06:33 AM
2nd Gear

Yeah, I some how did a google search and found this thread and noticed one of buddys posted up and I wanted to see how he was since I haven't seen him post on the Impala forums. Never noticed this is a 6 year old thread. Maybe he is still watching this topic.....