60mph in a 35mph zone

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 11:41 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
60mph in a 35mph zone

On the way home tonight, I got clocked by Leawood city police doing 60 in a 35 thru a neighborhood. It was completely dark so I had no idea it was the police coming, I was the ONLY person on the four lane road and I got hit with instant-on K-band. I was going east, he was going west.

No ticket.

Not even pulled over, no lights. But I was clocked for sure, didn't even have time to brake.

Me thinks there is a law about rolling/moving radar in Kansas for city police. 99% of the speed traps I see (the few that I do see) are all with cops in a stationary position. I haven't been clocked by moving radar in nearly 4 years. All of my past tickets (3) were from stationary. Only when I go on a road trip do I find the Kansas State Troopers using rolling (instant on) radar almost exclusively. And tonight I definitely felt that adrenaline rush as expected to see the patrol car do a u-turn and stick me with a $100+ ticket.

I know Wisconsin doesn't allow moving radar at all, Pennsylvania only allows the State to use radar, I'm sure there are others. Good to know I can pretty much ignore oncoming headlights while I scan for stationary cops. I'd better ask a cop (or look up the law) just in case.
Old 03-02-2003, 11:45 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh damn dude, whew. You dodged that one like that silly creature in my avatar!
Old 03-03-2003, 12:17 AM
Instructor

lucky
Old 03-03-2003, 01:02 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by JRock
Oh damn dude, whew. You dodged that one like that silly creature in my avatar!

haha
Old 03-03-2003, 08:09 AM
im back

you know that sometimes they accidently leave their radar on and you pick up the signal cuz you can't use a radar while moving
Old 03-03-2003, 09:32 AM
CL 6 speeder

Ever think that maybe you should not be driving 60 in a residential neighborhood? Too bad you did not get a ticket.
Old 03-03-2003, 09:38 AM
'Cooter

Originally posted by joeandcarol2
Ever think that maybe you should not be driving 60 in a residential neighborhood? Too bad you did not get a ticket.
:shakehd:

dude, there was noone around, and it's a 4-lane road...come on!!!
Old 03-03-2003, 09:44 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahhhh...

You have never been to KansAss before have you toto?
Old 03-03-2003, 09:51 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 60mph in a 35mph zone

Originally posted by kensteele
I'd better ask a cop (or look up the law) just in case.
Just ask one next time you get pulled over

J/K

Glad you didn't get nailed. I came DAMB close to getting a ticket last friday!

I was going northbound on 69 hwy cruising at about 65 in the fast lane. When some jackass in a cube van gets behind me and rides my ass. I'm like oke doke Mr. so I put the hammer down and sped up to 95ish, moved into the right (slow) lane because my 95th street exit is coming soon. Well, Mr. box van decides he wants to show me up (I see him speeding up) I had slowed to about 70 when the box van catches up to me (mind you he has to be going 95+) then BAM! My V1 goes nuts, instant on! Next thing I see is a cop darting out from behind us. I was still speeding about 10-15 over. But the cop had no interest in me he pulled the van over. I couldn't help but laugh. muahahahahah
Old 03-03-2003, 10:38 AM
It's not over yet

on and you pick up the signal cuz you can't use a radar while moving
hehehe, i wish that were true, but i found out the hard way that they can clock you even when they are headed on the opposite way.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:27 PM
Old timer

Haha there's always one ass posting something like that in these type of threads.

Too bad your kids don't get hit by cars when they play in the street.
Old 03-03-2003, 02:07 PM
CL 6 speeder

I guess you should realize that not everyone who participates in this forum is a street racer. Gee is that a shock? Drive your car agressively where it is safe. The highway with little traffic. If you kill a pedestrian your young lives will be over (in a figurative sense). Expect to be sued for the rest of your lives.
Old 03-03-2003, 02:56 PM
At least it's not Jersey

Originally posted by I am RobG
you know that sometimes they accidently leave their radar on and you pick up the signal cuz you can't use a radar while moving
Yes they can. Read along and learn my friend. It's a competitive world.

Stalker

Most manufacturers have a mobile radar gun now.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:46 PM
Old timer

I guess you should realize that not everyone who participates in this forum is a street racer. Gee is that a shock? Drive your car agressively where it is safe. The highway with little traffic. If you kill a pedestrian your young lives will be over (in a figurative sense). Expect to be sued for the rest of your lives.

LOL, okay let's review the incorrect assumptions you've made in that post:

1 - KenSteele is a "streetracer". What was he racing, the street?
2 - My post somehow means I think this forum is full of streetracers.
3 - Highways are somehow a valid place to streetrace (btw, wouldn't that technically be called "highwayracing"?)
4 - If you streetrace you're going to kill someone.
5 - We're all young and stupid but you're old and wise.
6 - You're going to be sued for the rest of your life.

I don't think it's possible to be any stupider than that. Please don't prove me wrong by posting again.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:07 PM
Suzuka Master

jrock, what is that in your avatar? i want one.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:15 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
60 in a 35 is a bit much. There is clearly a reason why the limit is so low, as it is a residential neighborhood. Not to say that you have to go 35, but like 45 is plenty. Going 60 is gonna shave, what, 10, maybe 15 mins off your travel time? Not worth a) a ticket or b) killing an idiot kid in the road at night. I was going about 50 in a 30 one time at night (empty road) and fortunately was looking up ahead of my xenons to see a kid in the middle of my lane on a bike . I had plenty of time to slow, but I wouldn't have if I hadn't been scanning the road further ahead than normal. After that, I go maybe 5 over in small residential areas, esspecially at night.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:35 PM
Learn to swim

The only suprise to this this thread is the author. Mr. Steele what is happening here? You are usually the voice of reason or Busting the chops of quite a few real "streetracers".

You were very lucky my friend.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:02 PM
Old timer

I never realized "neighborhood" is always synonymous with "street full of children". Ken Steele, you vicious beast, I hope you die of a heart attack while picking pieces of children's flesh off your murder machine's grille.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:07 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by rise
jrock, what is that in your avatar? i want one.

to BBQ?
Old 03-03-2003, 07:05 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Originally posted by JRock
I never realized "neighborhood" is always synonymous with "street full of children". Ken Steele, you vicious beast, I hope you die of a heart attack while picking pieces of children's flesh off your murder machine's grille.
A residential neighborhood generally does have children in it, not always, but its not unheard of. Anyway, I am simply saying that it is not responsible to speed through an area where there might be idiot kids running into the road. You, nor I, are intimately acquainted with the area in discussion, as a result, neither of us stand to make generalizations about it. However, I imagine that it is pretty safe to assume that there MIGHT be kids in a residential neighborhood. :P
Old 03-03-2003, 08:00 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by TypeSAddict
A residential neighborhood generally does have children in it, not always, but its not unheard of. Anyway, I am simply saying that it is not responsible to speed through an area where there might be idiot kids running into the road. You, nor I, are intimately acquainted with the area in discussion, as a result, neither of us stand to make generalizations about it. However, I imagine that it is pretty safe to assume that there MIGHT be kids in a residential neighborhood. :P
True. But I should have clarified that this was a 4-lane road that runs THRU the neighborhood (residence only, no businesses). There are no driveways leading into the 4-lane road, you have to turn off to go INTO a particular neighborhood. Those in Kansas (and maybe other places) know what I mean....but about 10:30pm on a Sunday winter night in Leawood Kansas? No kids.

Yes 60 in a 35 is a bit fast, the limit on the road probably s/b 45. But don't be surprise by this "author". Speeding is my vice. Nothing to boast about but nearly a couple dozen tickets have my name on it over the past 20 years. Three in Kansas in the last 4 years.

Bottom line I shouldn't have been speeding (I wasn't racing) and I almost had to pay for it...again.
Old 03-03-2003, 09:06 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Originally posted by kensteele
True. But I should have clarified that this was a 4-lane road that runs THRU the neighborhood (residence only, no businesses). There are no driveways leading into the 4-lane road, you have to turn off to go INTO a particular neighborhood. Those in Kansas (and maybe other places) know what I mean....but about 10:30pm on a Sunday winter night in Leawood Kansas? No kids.

Bottom line I shouldn't have been speeding (I wasn't racing) and I almost had to pay for it...again.
Well, that certainly isn't as bad then as those people they had on Dateline or whatever the other night. Anyobody catch the speeder episode?
Old 03-03-2003, 09:20 PM
Race Director

Well, that certainly isn't as bad then as those people they had on Dateline or whatever the other night. Anyobody catch the speeder episode?
Yes
Old 03-04-2003, 12:24 AM
Old timer

I missed it. From the posts I'm read in that thread, it sounds like some kid got Darwin'd. I feel bad for the driver because I'm sure they got sent to jail even if the kid has no business running into a busy street (is that what happened?).

The creature in my avatar is called a sugar glider.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:17 AM
Suzuka Master

60 in a 35 is a bit much. There is clearly a reason why the limit is so low, as it is a residential neighborhood. Not to say that you have to go 35, but like 45 is plenty. Going 60 is gonna shave, what, 10, maybe 15 mins off your travel time? Not worth a) a ticket or b) killing an idiot kid in the road at night.
Man, I agree with you (60 in a 35 is too fast), but that residential neighborhood would have to be like 45 miles long for 60mph to shave off 15 minutes of travel time (vs. 45mph).

I mean, golly! That's one big neigborhood.

To touch on what someone else mentioned, kids should not be playing in the street, certainly not on a 4-lane road. But that sort of misses the point. Kids can be crossing the street on foot or on bike. Kids are notorious for not always looking both ways before running/riding out into the street. They shouldn't, but they are, afterall, kids, and they are much more prone to follow their impulses than us so-called grown-ups.

But, that's beside the point. A child might be playing in his own yard with a ball, which just rolls out into the street. The child is focused on the ball, not on oncoming traffic.

And I would also mention that children are not as adept at judging the speed of an oncoming vehicle, much like morons are not very adept at judging the speed of an oncoming locomotive train.

But regardless of how many lanes or what time of day it is or how many cars are on the road, you should not be going 60 in a residential neighborhood. If someone went through my neighborhood at 60mph, you had better believe their plate # is getting phoned in to the police. There's no call for that.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:38 AM
I hand out swivel heads

I can get a hold of 2 sugar gliders if someone really wants them.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:29 AM
Old timer

Originally posted by AcurajL
I can get a hold of 2 sugar gliders if someone really wants them.
Just a word of advice for anyone considering owning them - do yourself and the creatures a favor and read up on them on the net. They require a fair bit of maintenance and once they bond with you it would be cruel to re-sell them or give them away.
Also, they're nocturnal so if you work a regular schedule you might not be able to interact with them much at all and they require at least an hour of your time every day or they will get lonely and they can die from lack of interaction with others because they are social creatures.