6-speed TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 10:33 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6-speed TL-S

Hey guys. Ok I know how "pointless" you may think converting a TL-S to a six speed is but I am gonna drop it in myself, along with the help of 2 master techs from Honda. So my question here is, why don't you guys use comptech headers for the TL-S? Is it because it doesnt clear the trans? Do you guys know over any other fitment issues I may run into? What about the location of the shifter? Does the shift plate, shifter, etc, fit into the same location as the auto? If anyone else can think of any other issues I may run into...please gimmie the heads up. This is definately going to happen. I just need to find a complete swap, mechanical wise, cluster, the cover for the VSA switch, shifter plates, etc. So if anyone knows where I can get a complete swap...lemmie know also. Thanks guys, and please I know how some of you don't support or condone this idea whatsoever, I don't need the flames, just information. Thanks guys.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
good luck man. I think its cool to try somthing that others havent yet.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:58 PM
Racer

Thanks man. I'm gonna need it, especially planning to do the whole swap and having the car run perfectly in one day. These techs performed a few auto->manual trans swaps before. In fact, one of them is doing a prelude and I'm lending him a hand. And the other I found a replacement motor for and helped him drop it in as well. So they're gonna help me do mines for free. With the combined 3 of us, we should be able to get it done in one day.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:10 PM
Flap.

pics along the way will be required
Old 09-19-2004, 11:20 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
u need the 6spd version of the headers for a manual....
Old 09-19-2004, 11:32 PM
drop em like its hot

good luck man... i was gonna go for manual swap but instead im going for a built auto tranny.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:50 PM
Advanced

If you need any help, let me know. My mechanic and I may be able to help. PM me if you need any questions or advice.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:52 PM
Banned

shyt... i cant even swap my boxers when i need to... let alone my tranny... may the force be with you...
Old 09-20-2004, 12:17 AM
Enjoy the Ride

Originally Posted by JimmyTLS
So my question here is, why don't you guys use comptech headers for the TL-S? Is it because it doesnt clear the trans? .
the reason why you can't use the TLS Comptech Headers is because in the newer Comptech Headers for the CLS there is a slight bend that helps the rear header clear a motor mount for the engine. I am not sure if its going to be an issue for you or not.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:26 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm probably not much of any help but if you need a hand i would be happy to help you. Since i live relatively close to you about 10 minutes from South philly
Old 09-20-2004, 12:37 AM
Instructor

since were on topic of comptech headers do u guys know if the comptech headers come with its on straight pipe to replace to cat converter?
Old 09-20-2004, 10:11 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
damn, i'd like to see a 6-speed TL-S.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:11 AM
Enjoy the Ride

Originally Posted by koolmonkey999
since were on topic of comptech headers do u guys know if the comptech headers come with its on straight pipe to replace to cat converter?

no it doesn't.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:06 PM
Instructor

glad to see someone with guts enough to give it a try.

while you have these "honda master techs" at your disposal see if you can find out if there's any alternatives to the stupid dual mass flywheel/cluth combination in the CLs 6-speed. it'd be nice to have a single mass unit. maybe these guys know if any existing honda parts bin combinations will fit.

keep us up to date as the swap proceeds.

good luck.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:11 PM
Racer

I actually just got off of work. I'll ask them tomorrow, assuming that I remember. But I'll try.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:40 AM
Pimpin da TL in Orlando..

Originally Posted by SG81
damn, i'd like to see a 6-speed TL-S.

Old 09-21-2004, 05:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Yes it would be cool to see... but it is totally a waste of money and a horrible financial decision. Plus i'm sure headaches are sure to come.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:54 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Yes it would be cool to see... but it is totally a waste of money and a horrible financial decision. Plus i'm sure headaches are sure to come.
Mrsteve, to each his own. Even though I do agree with you. Surprised to see someone your age worried about financial decision.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:09 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by C The "S"
Surprised to see someone your age worried about financial decision.
To each his own

Don't want to hijack the thread... but I agree, most people my age don't worry about that.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:54 PM
Racer

Well the financial decision on my end is really not too much of a worry. Like I said, labor is free, and I am estimating about $2,000 for the trans and all the necessary components to go along with it. I know $2,000 is surprisingly low but hey, I've been able to get whole supra 2JZGTE swaps (engine and trans) for about $2,000. That may be hard to believe as well but hey, it happens, and a CL-S 6-speed trans can be found for cheap if you look hard enough. So you take this $2,000 I plan on spending and compare it to a rebuilt velocity resources auto trans, and the financial decision doesn't seem that absurd anymore. And trust me, me and the technicians, along with another guy from metro acura who heard about this, have done some extensive research and are ready for what there is to come. Headaches can be found in any modification job, but its overcoming these obstacles that makes you more proud of the final result.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:08 PM
Team Owner

You'll need the following to get you started:

engine management computer
transmission
flywheel
complete shifter assembly
clutch package
clutch master
clutch slave
clutch hydraulic lines
pedal assembly
emergency brake assembly and cables
engine mounts
engine shock
subframe
axles and stub axle
intake plumbing
catalyst forward exhaust or Comptech header assembly
center console assembly and related minor components
changes to the wiring harness as needed
time to troubleshoot

If you can find all that for $2,000 congratulations.

My reason for saying it was a horrible financial decision is becuase you will have virtually no warranty remaining on your car, you will never be able to sell the car for nearly the amount of time you put into the swap (I bet you loose at least $7,000 in value once you put the new transmission in, no right minded person would buy a car with a one-off transmission swap), plus I do not think the car will technically be street legal.

But good luck...
Old 09-21-2004, 10:24 PM
Burning Brakes

transmission
flywheel
clutch package
clutch master
clutch slave
clutch hydraulic lines
pedal assembly
engine mounts
engine shock
subframe
axles and stub axle
intake plumbing
time to troubleshoot

My reason for saying it was a horrible financial decision is becuase you will have virtually no warranty remaining on your car, you will never be able to sell the car for nearly the amount of time you put into the swap (I bet you loose at least $7,000 in value once you put the new transmission in, no right minded person would buy a car with a one-off transmission swap), plus I do not think the car will technically be street legal.

But good luck...
He is also going to need access to a fabrication shop because I'll guarantee they'll run into areas where they will need to make brackets or some other dohickey for mounting
or adapting all the assemblies you mentioned. It's not going to be a bolt on job, not even close.

All the same, more power to him if he's successful. Just glad it's not me.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:26 AM
Advanced

The shop I go to has basically done this swap already. That's why I told JimmyTLS to ask me if he has any questions. The swap isn't as difficult as everyone is anticipating it to be, as long as you have access to the oem 6 speed parts and the proper know how.

*note: no offense JimmyTLS just some advice, a lot of the acura/honda techs I've met haven't been the best at working on customizing cars. They are great at repairing and sometimes solving problems with OEM cars, but that's about it. Not sure about your group of techs, just a friendly heads up.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by AcCoRdCoUpE2k1
The shop I go to has basically done this swap already. That's why I told JimmyTLS to ask me if he has any questions. The swap isn't as difficult as everyone is anticipating it to be, as long as you have access to the oem 6 speed parts and the proper know how.
Was it is TL-S or an Accord??

There is a big difference there as the Accord was offered with a manual (with the I4 engine). But that means there are provisions for the pedals and shift linkage. None of the needed mounts, etc. exist on the TL-S so they will need to be fabricated (or cut off from a CL-S) and bolted or preferably welded.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Starter
He is also going to need access to a fabrication shop because I'll guarantee they'll run into areas where they will need to make brackets or some other dohickey for mounting
or adapting all the assemblies you mentioned. It's not going to be a bolt on job, not even close.
Correct, much fabrication will be needed. Including the additional engine mounts which are not on the TL-S. This will not be done for free by most technicians. This will require a machine shop to get the parts correct.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:18 AM
Suzuka Master

I am very glad for the enthusiasm and desire to do something different. But expecting it to be low balled in price is asking for failure. If you really want this to be done, and done correctly, expect to be shelling out $7500 - $10,000. Otherwise, I will bet $$$ that this will never see completion and for the following reasons:

1) Everyone looks at what is really involved and wise up about the amount of work really required.

2) It gets started and the technicians then find out they bit off more they can chew, leaving the car in an incomplete state.

3) The costs start adding up to the point to where it is now unreasonable or impossible to continue.

4) The car never runs right (engine and/or drivetrain) and is barely useable requiring additional funds to get it done correctly, which are now dried up.

5) A meteor crashes into the car destroying it, no occupants at the time of the impact.

Maybe that last one is a stretch... Anyway, expecting this to be a simple and low price endeavor is asking quite a bit. Accept that it will cost more and get it done correctly and you have a better chance. Otherwise, let this dream :smitty:
Old 09-22-2004, 08:00 AM
Team Owner

$7,500-$10,000 is about all I could see you getting for the car if you tried to sell it too. Buy a 6 speed CL-S.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:24 AM
Racer

Like I sais guys, I didn't really need the criticism because I did post a thread like this before. I gave up on it for a while but after doing all the research, it can and will be done. Its not going to cost as much as you guys might think. I am definately not going to buy a trans and all components for that much. I am looking for a scrapped CL-S and take the front clip for about $2,000, which, with the
help of a few friends, we found! I just have to wait and go down there to check it out, see if everything is in good shape, and see if everything I need is there. I realize that this is going to a hard and difficult task, but it will be done. I really don't care about value of the car after I sell it because I plan on keeping this car till it poops on me, which I am hoping will not happen when I'm done this. As far as the brackets, I will be using the brackets obtained with the trans and find suitable locations for welding. All additional motor mounts I hope to find from the salvaged front clip. We already know what we're getting into, and these mechanics have worked at various aftermarket/performance shops before. And I realize why I am getting criticism like this because you guys think its virtually impossible do but that's what people might have said when people began swapping b18's in civics right? Its always hard to be the first one to do something because you have nothing to go off of and nothing to guide you. But hey, if I'm gonna be the first, atleast give me some kind of respect instead of shooting it down so quick.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:33 AM
Team Owner

We aren't shooting you down, just letting you know what you are getting your hands into... Deep

Report back when the swap is complete...
Old 09-22-2004, 10:49 AM
WESTK

best of luck to you; thats all i can say.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:22 AM
Suzuka Master

And I realize why I am getting criticism like this because you guys think its virtually impossible do
No one said it was impossible. You just appear to be underestimating what it will take to get done correctly and without ongoing problems.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:38 AM
drop em like its hot

good luck finding a scrapped 6 speed cl-s. im on the market for one as well. and let me tell you... if they're out there, they are damn hard to find.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:47 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by scalbert
Was it is TL-S or an Accord??

There is a big difference there as the Accord was offered with a manual (with the I4 engine). But that means there are provisions for the pedals and shift linkage. None of the needed mounts, etc. exist on the TL-S so they will need to be fabricated (or cut off from a CL-S) and bolted or preferably welded.
Whats up Scalbert. Yeah the work was done on an 6th gen Accord V6. I understand mechanically that there may be a little more fabrication and work involved, but I think this project still wouldn't be too difficult. Not trying to start an argument or anything. I think the only thing he really needs to worry about is the mount for the transmission itself.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:01 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AcCoRdCoUpE2k1
Whats up Scalbert. Yeah the work was done on an 6th gen Accord V6. I understand mechanically that there may be a little more fabrication and work involved, but I think this project still wouldn't be too difficult. Not trying to start an argument or anything. I think the only thing he really needs to worry about is the mount for the transmission itself.

New differential, new driveshafts, new motor mounts, wiring harnesses (that'll be a bitch)
Old 09-22-2004, 04:32 PM
Burning Brakes

And I realize why I am getting criticism like this because you guys think its virtually impossible do but that's what people might have said when people began swapping b18's in civics right? Its always hard to be the first one to do something because you have nothing to go off of and nothing to guide you. But hey, if I'm gonna be the first, atleast give me some kind of respect instead of shooting it down so quick.
We weren't shooting you down. If you really know what you're getting into, and don't care about the problems, good for you. That's the ole' Merican spirit!

A lot of posters on this board want to do similarly ambitious projects, and it's obvious from some of the posts that they don't have a clue. They'll be over their heads almost before they start. That's what we, or at least I, was addressing. Trying to keep somebody from making a mistake by giving them a nudge as what to look forward to.

Seems like you've thought it out MUCH more clearly than most.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:35 PM
Audi S4 driver

transmission
flywheel
clutch package
clutch master
clutch slave
clutch hydraulic lines
pedal assembly
engine mounts
engine shock
subframe
axles and stub axle
intake plumbing
time to troubleshoot

But good luck...
hah, you got there before I could. that is a quote from a post Jens made .. I remembered it and looked for it to quote

I can't see a junkyard charging you only 2000$ for the entire front end of an 03 CLS, but hey, congratulations and good luck on the swap if you can really get it for that price and can really get it done.

oh and good luck getting it done in one day!?
Old 09-22-2004, 06:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And I realize why I am getting criticism like this because you guys think its virtually impossible do
No one said it was impossible, only you have said that in this post. It's definetly doable, no-one questioned that.

Everyone said your budget was low, and that would be your source of failure. Your timeframe of 24 hours set doesn't add well into the equation either...

You have youthful optimism driving you... however I can tell you the older advice your getting from folks is speaking from many many years of experience....

Good luck with it. My suggestion is to sit and write down everything you need to buy and everything you need to do. Then figure out how long you think it'll take per item. Budget out your time and $$ so you have goals.

Then once you get started see if things matchup as to what you thought vs. what really happened.

Let us know what happens
Old 09-22-2004, 06:21 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SiGGy
Your timeframe of 24 hours set doesn't add well into the equation either...

I missed that completely. How are you going to complete the install in a day if you need to have a machine shop create parts? That could day a week or more!
Old 09-22-2004, 07:20 PM
Banned

You will end up spending a ton of money, end up with a car nobody will ever want to buy, it'll probably not run correctly, and you'll end up with a bunch of unique parts that will be expensive to replace. To each their own.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:44 PM
Racer

they are just hating because they dont want u to have a 6spd tls that looks better then the cl :-D go for it!

Quick Reply: 6-speed TL-S