6-speed TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 08:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonesi
Just out of curiousity Steve.. I'm assuming it would be easier to convert a 03 auto CL-S to a maunal then anything else b/c that year it was also setup to be a manual..? Correct ?
Exactly, the car is setup to take the manual conversion. The TL is not.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonesi
Just out of curiousity Steve.. I'm assuming it would be easier to convert a 03 auto CL-S to a maunal then anything else b/c that year it was also setup to be a manual..? Correct ?
Correct.

In addition, I believe the front track is different between the TL and CL which would nessesitate custom axles. That is just another potential wrench in this undertaking.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by scalbert
Correct.

In addition, I believe the front track is different between the TL and CL which would nessesitate custom axles. That is just another potential wrench in this undertaking.
And it's a.....

Old 10-29-2004, 11:54 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by blader
but that will probably take two days instead of one.

jk
Old 10-29-2004, 11:55 AM
Team Owner

Just FYI, most Honda dealers do not have a lathe or milling machine potentially required for some parts.

even when brake rotor's need to be resurfaced, a majority of the dealers send them elsewhere to be done.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:59 AM
Team Owner

Please do this as I think it is a fantastic project. However, reserve yourself to the fact that it will take longer and cost more than anticipated. It always does; and not
realizing that is the downfall of many.

never go into a project expecting it to go for whatever time you think it will be, and for whatever cost you think it will be or are told it will be.

Because when something goes wrong you'll just be even more pissed and only discourage you in the end.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:39 PM
Racer

I think people are just anticipating worst case scenarios to occur and trying to remedy these problems with overly complicated solutions. I am going to TRY to keep things simple in this swap. All machining can be done at our dealership. Granted we do not have a milling machine, we have a welding torches and air cutters. These tools will suffice in this project. And in regards to the double in incease amount, like I said, I was still doing more research. Hence coming here, realizing that some parts aren't salvagable from a vehicle I am going to look at, I am increasing my budget. I do not plan on spending much, but am putting this money aside just in case.

And what I meant about swapping the Prelude trans, tell me how that is so much different? Lemmie see, firewall had to be cut, clutch pedal assembly bolted in, different wiring harnesses, ECU, mounts, shift linkages, guage cluster replacement, trans itself, axles,...so how is this that much different? Besides the whole throttle body kind of stuff. I realize it was offered in a manual configuration, but the mounts were still different. What else can you point out? And the firewall on the TLS are the same as the CLS. There is actually a grooved cut out which seems like it can be punched out with an air hammer or something to mount a clutch pedal and run the cables properly.

Although, there is still a flaw in my research which I am going to point out. Mainly, all my research has gone into the mechanics of it. Seeing what parts I need etc, and not really focused too much on the swap on a technical level YET. By technical I mean the whole ECU trouble shooting in case it throws codes (going to be using a CL-S ECU by the way), wiring, etc. But then again, I don't think anyone can rememdy the technical side until it actually occurs.

And scalbert, that was the whole point of this thread in the first place...the prepare me for the worst.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:40 PM
Racer

I think people are just anticipating worst case scenarios to occur and trying to remedy these problems with overly complicated solutions. I am going to TRY to keep things simple in this swap. All machining can be done at our dealership. Granted we do not have a milling machine, we have a welding torches and air cutters. These tools will suffice in this project. And in regards to the double in incease amount, like I said, I was still doing more research. Hence coming here, realizing that some parts aren't salvagable from a vehicle I am going to look at, I am increasing my budget. I do not plan on spending much, but am putting this money aside just in case.

And what I meant about swapping the Prelude trans, tell me how that is so much different? Lemmie see, firewall had to be cut, clutch pedal assembly bolted in, different wiring harnesses, ECU, mounts, shift linkages, guage cluster replacement, trans itself, axles,...so how is this that much different? Besides the whole throttle body kind of stuff. I realize it was offered in a manual configuration, but the mounts were still different. What else can you point out? And the firewall on the TLS are the same as the CLS. There is actually a grooved cut out which seems like it can be punched out with an air hammer or something to mount a clutch pedal and run the cables properly.

Although, there is still a flaw in my research which I am going to point out. Mainly, all my research has gone into the mechanics of it. Seeing what parts I need etc, and not really focused too much on the swap on a technical level YET. By technical I mean the whole ECU trouble shooting in case it throws codes (going to be using a CL-S ECU by the way), wiring, etc. But then again, I don't think anyone can rememdy the technical side until it actually occurs.

And scalbert, that was the whole point of this thread in the first place...to prepare me for the worst.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JimmyTLS
And scalbert, that was the whole point of this thread in the first place...to prepare me for the worst.
Which we are trying to do.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:48 PM
Team Owner

I think people are just anticipating worst case scenarios to occur and trying to remedy these problems with overly complicated solutions. I am going to TRY to keep things simple in this swap.
Nothing about this swap is simple, hence the complicated solutions to remedy POSSIBLE problems
Old 10-29-2004, 01:00 PM
Senior Moderator

...But then again, I don't think anyone can rememdy the technical side until it actually occurs.

Wow, that's a scary proposition. Let's put this into perspective. I work for an IT Consulting firm who develops enterprise applications for several different industries.

We have this new idea to develop an application that will do X. We have an idea of the components we will use, since we've done a somewhat similar project before, call it Q, but in a totally different industry.

So off we go to the library to gather all the components together. But wait, we haven't determined what the architecture is going to be (like the framing in a house). How exactly will all these pieces bolt together and what are the custom interfaces we will need to build to make them talk to each other? And what about the environment we're putting this into?

Oh just minor details, just start coding.......years later and $$$$$$$ down the drain, we realize we just didn't have a plan, or a contingency plan for when when initial plan failed.

See what I'm getting at? It seems like a lot of people "think" they know what is going to happen and "think" they have all the necessary components and tools to build the solution, but unless you spend the time to THOROUGHLY plan this out, you are destined to fail. Maybe not in a week, a month, a year, but at some point you will run out of money, time or patience, or maybe all of them.

The word of the day is "DUE DILIGENCE"