6 speed owners.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 06:45 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
6 speed owners.....

So how does the manual tranny feel?

I've already read that the shifts are very short, which is nice.

But how about the clutch? Light or heavy or somewhere between?

How about the shifter feel? Smooth like butta?

Clutch engagement? Down towards the floor? Or way up?

And most importantly--

When in 6th gear and cruising at 60 mph, how is the acceleration? Do you need to downshift to get some decent speed? Or will the engine still pull nicely at low rpm?
Old 06-05-2002, 07:08 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifts are short, quick and provide good feedback

Clutch is great (ok, my opinion)

60 in 6th... you will need to downshift, I think I typically go to 4th if getting on it Could probably go to 3rd pretty easily. 6th is overdrive and that is to be expected. Not sure about 60mph but at 80, I am at 3KRPM
Old 06-05-2002, 08:56 PM
CL 6 speeder

Test driven the 6 speed about 4 times. Clutch is light with very abrupt engagement (but after a few times it works with this transmission). Engagement is within first third of travel (from floor). Shifts are light effort, short throw and precise. Another great effort by honda/acura. Only hope the transmission survives the demise of the CL.
At 3,000 RPM speed is in mid 80s. Fine for cruising. Downshifting to 5th for hard acceleration at high speed probably a good idea (but effortless).
Old 06-05-2002, 09:17 PM
Capo di Tutti Capi

Re: 6 speed owners.....

Originally posted by Tom2
So how does the manual tranny feel?

I've already read that the shifts are very short, which is nice.

But how about the clutch? Light or heavy or somewhere between?

How about the shifter feel? Smooth like butta?

Clutch engagement? Down towards the floor? Or way up?

And most importantly--

When in 6th gear and cruising at 60 mph, how is the acceleration? Do you need to downshift to get some decent speed? Or will the engine still pull nicely at low rpm?
Clutch has medium effort but does grab quickly off the floor.

Initially the shifter was a bit notchy but after break in it is very smooth.

About 2K at 60 so acceleration is moderate. However, it is still usable. For ordinary driving you can leave it in 6th from 60 on up. It's almost like having an ATX. For aggressive driving you'll be downshifting.
Old 06-05-2002, 09:55 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agree with everyone else.

The clutch is probably of light to medium effort and engages gears quickly in the bottom 1/3 to bottom 1/4 of travel (from floor). I think that many of us stalled the thing with some frequency when we first got it, but after a week or two you get used to it. With the short throw shifter its great for quick shifting and acceleration.

Sixth gear at 60mph is also just at or slightly above 2K on the RPM. Acceleration in sixth is good for average need; for a quick pass you might drop into fifth or fourth. You have to be careful when going from 6 > 4 and not end up in 2nd. The gate is close, but once again, you get used to the feel.

Routine freeway driving in 6th seem effortless for this car. I still have not taken mine above 80 - 85, but I get the feeling that this car will really fly.

If you like a manual, this is a fun one to drive. Real responsive and nice. Fun acceleration in 2nd through 4th gear.
Old 06-06-2002, 07:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

That clutch is light as hell! I test drove it a few times, & I'm glad I didn't wait. I'm so used to the 5 speed in my explorer that takes a very heavy left foot, & a strong right arm to change gears. I don't think I could ever get used to it switching back between the 2 every 3 weeks. It's also lighter then the 3 series BMW's. Granted it felt great, & was easier to shift, but i kept slamming my foot to the floor. For me it just wouldn't work.
Old 06-06-2002, 08:13 AM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go test drive one, d00d. Something as individual as how a clutch or stick feels is something you should find out for yourself. What is firm or light for one person is not for another. Etc.
Old 06-06-2002, 09:28 AM
Intermediate

I agree with everyone else. My previous car was a 99' maxima SE 5speed. Before I drove the CLS 6speed I thought the Max 5speed was easy to drive. Its 2 different worlds. A month after driving the CLS, the Max felt like shit. Clutch was a lot heavier, shift throw was insanely longer, and shifts were very notchy and not smooth at all. I also driven a Boxster S and a Z3. It was comparable to the Boxster, but with a lighter clutch. Shifting felt alot smoother on the CLS compared to the Z3. Hope that helps.