6 speed header nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 03:41 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 speed header nightmare

OK so I confirmed that the headers from my old ride (5AT) were the new CT ones with the bend in the left back tube. So, imagine my surprise when the shop called me today and told me that they would not fit!!! I confirmed the part number on the CT website and it was right one for the CLS-6.

Anyway after a lot of begging (from me) for them to try anything to make it fit, the removed the motor mount, lifted the engine and then it fit. They sure don't mention this manuever on the CT website. Have any of you guys had problems like this with the install of CT headers on the CLS-6?
Old 05-28-2005, 08:25 AM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
No, it should fit perfectly, I had no problems.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:38 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by NiteQwill
No, it should fit perfectly, I had no problems.
Guess that I was just lucky!

Another exhaust question... I notice after putting on the CT axel backs that they flop around a lot. Had this same system on my other CLS, and it was tight. Is it possible that the exhaust hangers are streched and are allowing the mufflers to move excessively?
Old 05-28-2005, 11:01 AM
Enjoy the Ride

Originally Posted by goredcar

Another exhaust question... I notice after putting on the CT axel backs that they flop around a lot. Had this same system on my other CLS, and it was tight. Is it possible that the exhaust hangers are streched and are allowing the mufflers to move excessively?

try this trick to keep them from moving around
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...ighlight=mattg
Old 05-28-2005, 11:25 AM
ex 6 Speed owner :(

I had to move the engine mount a little too to fit mine on. I wouldn't classify it as a nightmare, it was obvious what had to be done... just took a little longer. Enjoy the new power!
Old 05-28-2005, 12:00 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Silverbulit40
try this trick to keep them from moving around
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...ighlight=mattg
Thanks for the link... I will give it a try!
Old 05-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by BlueCLS6
I had to move the engine mount a little too to fit mine on. I wouldn't classify it as a nightmare, it was obvious what had to be done... just took a little longer. Enjoy the new power!
I can't believe the difference in driving experience between the 5AT and the 6MT. Had the 5AT for a couple of years so I got pretty used to it. Even without the headers the 6MT was impressive. I am looking forward to the new boost in the upper RPM.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think your installer either tried to put it backwards (front header in the rear) and got frustrated... probably not telling you the whole story. Did they end up charging you more $$?

It is likely that headers might not 'fit' perfectly, but considering this set was already installed in a car, there is no way that it couldn't fit. Also... there has NEVER been a header that required removal (or moving) of any motor mount to get it in there.
Old 05-28-2005, 06:36 PM
Beware of leakage

Originally Posted by allmotor_2000
I think your installer either tried to put it backwards (front header in the rear) and got frustrated... probably not telling you the whole story. Did they end up charging you more $$?

It is likely that headers might not 'fit' perfectly, but considering this set was already installed in a car, there is no way that it couldn't fit. Also... there has NEVER been a header that required removal (or moving) of any motor mount to get it in there.
I have the same feeling about the possibility of installer error.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:59 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by allmotor_2000

Now that you mention it... they also mangled my UR pulleys when removing them. The Alt and PS pulleys are unusable... fortunately the crank pulley is fine, but I would now like to find replacements for the mangled pulleys without buying the whole set.

I also had my CT sways moved over and now I have an occasional creaking / crinching sound from the right front on the CL that is now stock. WTF? I thought that it might be lug nuts not torqued (had this same sound exactly once when the Honda dealer forgot to tighten the lug nuts on one front wheel. But the lug nuts were tight... actually too tight... brought them doen to 80 lbs.

Any ideas on what this creaking sound is?
Old 05-28-2005, 10:29 PM
Registered Big Dog

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
edit

didnt read allmotors post and said the same shit
Old 05-28-2005, 10:54 PM
Pro

More $$

Allmotor... and Clean B... it is a bit difficult to figure out as I had a whole bunch of stuff done at the same time, (removing re-installing etc), but I am pretty sure that I did pay more than the original install.