5AT Intercooler Installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 07:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5AT Intercooler Installed

During the remainder of Ivan, we installed the first intercooler on Jorge's (SCTL-SS) 5AT TL-S. The conditions were awful for this type of thing in my small garage with wind and torrential rains pouring in, but we managed.

Thanks goes out to Jorge and his family for the patience they had. It was also great to finally meet him along with his very nice family. This was only supposed to take about three hours and ended up being six. The weather was one hamper as it didn't allow as easy of access to all parts of the car. But we also ran into some issues and other unforeseen aspects.

All in all it wasn't that bad. We went with a trunk mounted reservoir; a vertical four gallon unit. The plumbing and the pump are mostly contained in the spare tire wheel well with the spare intact. No drilling was required as it fit fine using the factory grommet holes. All plumbing to the unit was tucked up under the car along a very useful tract. One shocking difference is the bulk of the 5AT transaxle versus the 6MT unit. That 5AT transmission takes up noticeably more room. But all of the needed line routed fine.

The one area of stark difference between the CL-S and TL-S is the space behind the bumper. When mounting the reservoir on my CL-S I had plenty of clearance for the cores. The TL-S had no initial clearance. It appears that there is just less depth behind the bumper cover of the TL-S and CL-S. We were able to get it in but it required bending of the brackets. A better solution would be to move them closer to the middle and as far back as possible. That may still touch the back of the lower grill but it should fit fine. A little trimming could be done to the back of the lower grill lip to give more clearance is necessary which would not be noticeable from the front.

The one major problem we had, had to do with the E-Manage harness. We installed it initially and went for a drive and everything was fine. Just after installing the complete system when he went for a test ride, one of the leads on the harness came loose. This lit up the dash like crazy but he was able to drive it. It turned out to be one of the transmission control leads and I suspect that the passenger's foot pressing on it caused it to come loose. I patched that and everything was fine. They were driving up to TN it occurred again. I had instructed him on how to disconnect the E-manage harness and reconnect it back to the factory harness so he was able to pull over and fix it. But it appears that the harness, as currently available, is too fragile for real use.

The difference between this harness and the one I made for myself, the two for Ramanan and now the current one's, are that mine and Ramanan's were made by me from scratch. The current one's are purchased as straight through harnesses and then modified. The failing part is nothing I touched and is due to the method they are made. I couldn't make them from scratch anymore because I couldn't get any more sample orders nor could I buy in the low quantities I needed. So I used a aftermarket straight through harness which is now too fragile for my comfort.

I have a couple of harnesses in route to me and what I plan on doing is going further with this and making them hardened. I'm going to cut off the connector A harness and leave a single pigtail; brown wire, for the RPM input. That will make the whole E-Manage harness smaller. I will then enclose the socket in a box to protect the delicate leads. I'll also fasten the harness to the box so that no single pigtail could be pulled alone from outside the box. I hope to get this as small as possible so as not to impact the passenger floor well which I don't think will be a problem.

I'll ship out this new design to both Jorge and Jesse and get their old ones back for rework for the two other kits going out soon.

We never got to test it much and now we won't as the rain was coming down too hard. But Jorge plans on going to the dyno soon and get some power and A/F numbers. That last part is the most important as we need to see where his car is at and adjust from there. More details should be available soon.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:24 AM

Hi Scalbert, that brown wire that gets tapped into connector A, is it the only wire on that connector? If it isn't, what color or pin number is it? Brown?

For the fuel pressure, after the calibration kit is installed, what pressures should we be running?

Thanks
Old 09-17-2004, 08:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Chemmech
Hi Scalbert, that brown wire that gets tapped into connector A, is it the only wire on that connector? If it isn't, what color or pin number is it? Brown?

For the fuel pressure, after the calibration kit is installed, what pressures should we be running?

Thanks
Yes, that is the only wire associated with that connector. It is Pin 19, the NEP signal. I need to scan in that page of the manual.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:21 PM

No need to send out the extra wires, I have everything under the hood done now, except the pulley that goes on the s/c.

I just need to run abit more hose to the trunk and then wire up the pump.

You weren't kidding, there isn't much room in front of the bumper .

I'm gonna run a parallel ckt from the fuel pump power to a control relay for the pump, main power will be coming from the battery.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Seems like you have a pretty good handle on everything. Considering what you do I figured you would.

BTW, you can use either o-ring for the MAP sensor connection. The one I sent is just a spare as they can fall off while installing everything. You should have a couple of extra bolts, clamps, etc. as spares too. I sent a toggle switch in case you wanted to control it but relay is what I ended up using in conjunction with a toggle switch as I already had a direct power source back there for the amp. That extra 3 amps was not something I was worried about.

Since the instruction weren't ready as I didn't expect you to move this quickly, were the vacuum connections easy enough to follow?? Also, the IAT sensor mount location, you looked at my pictures or it was just logical??

Be sure to take a picture of the set up and let me know how it all goes and anything I may have missed/made better.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:43 PM

The vacuum connections were very straight forward. The IAT was pretty easy to find beign the only location with threads .

I am a little short on hose though, I'm about 6 feet short, I wasted a bit of it too.

So pin 19 on connector A. Connector A is the only connector, off the ECM, that doesn't have a connection into the harness you sent me, right? The pins are numbered left to right , then top to bottom?
Old 09-17-2004, 01:50 PM
Suzuka Master

I am a little short on hose though, I'm about 6 feet short, I wasted a bit of it too.

So pin 19 on connector A. Connector A is the only connector, off the ECM, that doesn't have a connection into the harness you sent me, right? The pins are numbered left to right , then top to bottom?
It should have been 35 feet which is what I used with a little to spare. But then again, there are always different ways to run things.

Pin 19 on Connector A, the first connector to the left when looking at the ECU connections from the passenger side, is the one. It should be in the middle row, find the very center lead when looking at the connector from the wire side, and move to the right one pin. This should be the NEP signal and I beleive it was a blue lead. I can verify this when I get home in about 1.5 hours. But I am pretty sure on the color and the position is as I mentioned.

It shouldn't hurt anything if it was wrong, you just won't have an RPM signal when using the E-Manage. Be sure to calibrate the Throttle Input signal to the E-Manage too before driving with it. Have you loaded up the Software Support Tool yet??
Old 09-17-2004, 03:12 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Awesome man. Glad to hear everything went on OK.

Jorge actually gave me a call yesterday evening from the road. He was saying the car felt find and all was normal but he was unable to really test her out because of what you had mentioned to earlier, the bad weather.

He sounded real excited about getting her back to "sunny" FLA and giving her the dyno/track runs. Also he said he was disappointed about not being able to catch a ride in your car. Can't say i blame him.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Here is the scan for the 32P, Connector A (page 2) which shows the NEP signal on terminal 19:

Connector A, 32P, Page 2
Old 09-17-2004, 03:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Chaptorial
Awesome man. Glad to hear everything went on OK.

Jorge actually gave me a call yesterday evening from the road. He was saying the car felt find and all was normal but he was unable to really test her out because of what you had mentioned to earlier, the bad weather.

He sounded real excited about getting her back to "sunny" FLA and giving her the dyno/track runs. Also he said he was disappointed about not being able to catch a ride in your car. Can't say i blame him.
I can't say that Florida has been too sunny lately.

Anyway, Jorge may be stopping back by on Sunday so I might be able to resolve the issue then and get his finished up. A ride in my car may also be in store.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:50 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by scalbert
All plumbing to the unit was tucked up under the car
Steve, isn't too hot under the car for the pipe leading to the reservoir?

And damn, with e-Manage harness issues.
Glad you figured the solution
Old 09-17-2004, 03:53 PM
I NEED MONEY!

that could of been my car with the intercooler.... :sigh:
Old 09-17-2004, 04:18 PM

Thanks for the pinout diagram Scalbert, now I can proceed on hooking everything up .
Old 09-17-2004, 04:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by av6ent
Steve, isn't too hot under the car for the pipe leading to the reservoir?
Not at all, it is well away from the exhaust except at a single point. So the maximum temps the hose will be exposed to is ambient.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks for the pinout diagram Scalbert, now I can proceed on hooking everything up .
Let me know how it goes!!!
Old 09-17-2004, 04:49 PM
Pro

Not at all, it is well away from the exhaust except at a single point. So the maximum temps the hose will be exposed to is ambient.

Is it possible for the pic under the car to see, uh whenever ?
Old 09-17-2004, 05:07 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
congrats, cant wait to see some #'s
Old 09-17-2004, 05:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by av6ent

Is it possible for the pic under the car to see, uh whenever ?
Certainly, I'll shoot some this weekend.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:23 PM

"It shouldn't hurt anything if it was wrong, you just won't have an RPM signal when using the E-Manage. Be sure to calibrate the Throttle Input signal to the E-Manage too before driving with it. Have you loaded up the Software Support Tool yet??"

I haven't loaded the software support tool yet, Throttle input signal calibration? Wow! I have some reading up on the manual to do.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:48 PM
Suzuka Master

It is pretty easy and one of the input screens. There is a simple, less than one minute, procedure to run to calibrate the throttle position. After that, and with the RPM input hooked up, you should be able to fire it up and go.

Have you broken down the FPR yet and installed the new pieces?? If so, adjust the base fuel pressure without vacuum to 55 PSI.

Once you put on the new SC pulley, be sure to torque it down to about 25 lb/ft. Any lkess and it will slip. Just monitor the peak boost from where you were at prior to installing the pulley and see if a little more tension is needed. I'm working on a solution to allow better tension adjustment for a variety of pulley sizes and may have that solution available soon. Heck, you may be able to get it done yourself. It should just involve milling the Comptech tensioner bracket and making a spacer. But we'll see how that works out.

Also, once running and testing, you can start backing down on the ignition retard as you feel comfortable. It is pretty aggressive right now and can probably be reduced some even with 91 octane. But we will take it in steps.

Let me know if you need any information and/or if you need to speak to me over the phone.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:42 PM

I'm going to finish up mounting the resevoir, installing the pulley, connecting the computer and upgrading the fpr tommorrow.

Isn't the pulley keyed? I'll check it out tommorrow, I guess it's safer if it's not keyed incase the blower locks up or something.

I guess I'll hook a laptop up tommorrow, why does teh movie Fast and Furious come to mind?

Scalbaert, are all of the jumpers already setup iside of the E-Manage?
Old 09-18-2004, 06:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Yep, the unit is configured (jumpers and switches are set) and ready to go minus the throttle position calibration which had to be done on the final vehicle.

And yes, the pulley is keyed. The new one may be a little tight but it went on fairly easily. I used a wire brush and oiled it a little to help the install but it probably wasn't needed.

One more thing I forgot to mention, the initial priming of the pump. This pump doesn't self prime very well. I had to use a combination of get up front and sucking on one of the lines before attaching it to the IC. I also closed the lid of the IC and blew into the vent cap. The combination got enough water to the pump that it took over and you could then hear and see quite a bit of air bubbling up in the reservoir.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:20 AM
drop em like its hot

cool! can't wait to see some #'s
Old 09-18-2004, 10:06 AM

Hey Scalbert, the fitting for the pump are the exact size as a garden hose. I hooked the lines up and purged the system that way, fast and easy . Everything is done now except the computer, I need to get a USB to serial port adapter for the E-Manange.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Any news on the install?? Or are you out enjoying it.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:59 PM

I was out for awhile, I now understand what uncontrollable wheel hop is . I know that the E-Manage will bring alot more power after I get it installed tommorrow. I tried to hook it up today, but the timing was retarded to the point where the engine had trouble running even at idle. I'll hook it back up tommorrow and recalibrate averything with my PC. Hope I can get everything, software, installed properly to interface with the ECM.

Surpisingly enough, I have had no pinging issues with both pulleys installed. I am using 91 octane and Lucas Oil octane booster.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Old 09-18-2004, 10:17 PM
Suzuka Master

I tried to hook it up today, but the timing was retarded to the point where the engine had trouble running even at idle.
There is no retard occuring at idle; it is only under boost. What was happening?? Also, do you have or have access to a scan tool (or software)??

So, both pulley's are on?? I suspect the low end torque increase is most noticeable??
Old 09-18-2004, 10:33 PM

OOps, since I haven't hooked my pc to the ecm, I haven't set that throttle value thingy . That's most likely the reason then.

I had the hbp and the ICon the car a couple of days ago, the water wsan't even circulating yet, even then I noticed better low end response and pickup .

My scan tool is outdated right now for the 03 models. I'll try to get things going tommorrow.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:00 AM

Hey Scalbert, both pulleys are on now . Everything but the harness and computer are in. I have no check engine lights or any other problems. So far the car has been running very nicely. I am putting in a bottle of Luacs oils' Octane Booster in with every tank, until I get the E-Manage in. I haven't had any issues with pinging to speak of. The IC is really doing it's job to keep the engine from pinging,even without the E-Manage being hooked up and 100 degree weather.
The power increase is outstanding! On the freeway the car pulls like a freight train. The rate of the increase in speed, even at part throttle is scarry fast!! The car really starts to pull hard in SS mode in 5th at around 2500 rpm and up. I don't really even need to get wot to get the car moving.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:01 PM
Suzuka Master

That sounds great!!!

Have you opened the hood and touched the IC pipe and then the IC core?? Try it after a drive if you haven't already done so.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:03 PM

I've tried it and the IC is cool, the pipe is a bit warm though. Before the IC install, the stock intake manifold was almost too hot to touch.

EDIT;
"The IC is really doing it's job to keep the engine from pinging,even without the E-Manage NOT being hooked up and 100 degree weather."

I find myself going in excess of a 110 mph on the freeway lately .
Old 09-23-2004, 01:38 PM
Team Owner

I find myself going in excess of a 110 mph on the freeway lately .
Without needing to downshift out of 5th too right?

Torque > *
Old 09-23-2004, 01:49 PM

Yep if I'm not in SS the car will down shift. Kinda fun to hold it in a high gear and rack up the digits .
Old 09-23-2004, 06:51 PM
I NEED MONEY!

man, I'm interested in one now....want to run a test trial on a fellow GEORGIAN :-D
Old 09-23-2004, 07:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by VeeralS05
man, I'm interested in one now....want to run a test trial on a fellow GEORGIAN :-D
Step 1: Buy the SC, I'll even help you install it.

Step 2: Then think about buying the intercooler.

Old 09-23-2004, 07:55 PM
I NEED MONEY!

Step 1: Buy the SC, I'll even help you install it.

Step 2: Then think about buying the intercooler.

*Step1* Get the money!!

The only thing left I'm going to do to my car is

-CT Headers
-CT Sway bars
-CT Front Strut
-CT Stainless Steel Brake Lines
-Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors
-All JL Audio
Old 09-23-2004, 08:11 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by VeeralS05
*Step1* Get the money!!

The only thing left I'm going to do to my car is...

I said that once...

Now I've already got scalbert's "Step One" covered...
Old 09-24-2004, 10:33 AM
Pro

That sounds great!!!

Have you opened the hood and touched the IC pipe and then the IC core?? Try it after a drive if you haven't already done so.
Good stuff Steve, any pics yet . No, whenever man, just dont forget
Also, Serge is picking up brand new J32A2 valves today. Next week his shop will start to put together the block with forged internals plus J32A2 heads/lower manifold. How his stuff coming along? Man, I guess I'm excited as its my car

oh, Chemmech enjoy the IC and e-Manage kit
Old 09-27-2004, 10:36 AM
Pro

bump

Quick Reply: 5AT Intercooler Installed