530.75 for 30K checkup...say what!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 07:46 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
530.75 for 30K checkup...say what!

So I am at 30k on my cl and I called to see how much they want for the checkup. 530.75 + tax is what they told me How in the hell do some of yall get prices like 2-300??

Anyway there are some things on the list of what they do that I don't know if I need or if I can do easy and cheaply.

Adjust the parking brake...mine is no good...can I adjust it?

replace sparkplugs...should I get the ones that others have gotten here...denso (sp) I think??

replace distributor cap and rotor...what about this...needs to be done?

Replace air cleaner element...is this the thing that my CAI replaced?

Replace valve cover gasket...needs to be done at 30K??

Replace A/C cabin filter...cant I do this easily...how much is the filter??

Now these 2 things seem the same to me but they say its 2 different systems...is it...do I need it at 30K :Replace brake fluid/inspect and flush ABS system

Now there is also a long list of inspections and putting back to stock specs...now I know some seem like BS but I have hit a curb and stuff like that so I wouldn't mind everything being looked at and adjusted...but what do yall think?
Old 12-01-2003, 07:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Wow... that's nuts.... I paid around $250 for mine. I went through the list with the dealer (Park Ave) and just told them what I wanted done... and that was the price they gave me. I only had the major things done... no point in paying a ton of money for the little things.

As for the curb thing... you'll need an alignment for that.... and most dealers charge $80. Definitely not included in the 30k service.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:06 AM
Drifting

No the curb thing was almost a year ago...did 1500 in damage and was all fixed and aligned. I would just like everything rechecked to make sure nothing came loose or anything. Im about to make a long road trip and would like everything is tip top shape. I am planning on going through the list and telling them what I want and don't want...thats why I asked about the few things...I just hope they are realistic on there pricing.

Matter of fact that rim I just ordered from you...is the last thing that was messed up in the curb thing...the one I am replacing was slightly bent I think (makse the car shake slightly and it has been ballenced) and has a big chunk taken out of it but I just couldnt afford to replace it back then.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by NOLACLS
No the curb thing was almost a year ago...did 1500 in damage and was all fixed and aligned. I would just like everything rechecked to make sure nothing came loose or anything. Im about to make a long road trip and would like everything is tip top shape. I am planning on going through the list and telling them what I want and don't want...thats why I asked about the few things...I just hope they are realistic on there pricing.
ahh, gotcha. Well, if you go through the list and choose what you want done that price should come down significantly.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:07 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spark plugs should last until tune up at 105K miles.

Distributer & rotor - we no got one...we have direct coil packs on spark plugs.

Parking brake - doesn't need adjusting if it doesn't need adjusting.

Air cleaner - if you have a CAI, then I'm sure you already do it yourself.

Cabin filter - an easy DIY - look in the 'Extremely useful topics' section of these forums.

Flush brake system - sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure it's needed.

Replace valve gasket cover - 30K sounds too early to me too, especially if you have no issues.

You didn't mention oil & filter change, and a check of the tranny fluid. I'd get these done or do myself. Also probably time to rotate tires. Wheel alignment if you want.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:13 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Slimey
Spark plugs should last until tune up at 105K miles.

*I thought they would still be good and not need replacing*

Distributer & rotor - we no got one...we have direct coil packs on spark plugs.

*I also didnt think we had this...but it is in the list...dirty fukers*

Parking brake - doesn't need adjusting if it doesn't need adjusting.

*well mine is useless...so I guess they are going to fix it*

Air cleaner - if you have a CAI, then I'm sure you already do it yourself.

*yeah have CAI so I thought this is what they were talking about*

Cabin filter - an easy DIY - look in the 'Extremely useful topics' section of these forums.

*Also thoguth this to...I will have to look into it*

*Well ill just see what others have to say*

Replace valve gasket cover - 30K sounds too early to me too, especially if you have no issues.

*I know nothing about this...I have no issues but I dont want any...ill wait on this to see what others say as well*

You didn't mention oil & filter change, and a check of the tranny fluid. I'd get these done or do myself. Also probably time to rotate tires. Wheel alignment if you want.

*I am doing my own oil and filter change...I am letting them do the tranny for sure (I had an 01 auto LOL) and I have a lifetime rotation and balence at firestone so they are doing that for free*
Old 12-01-2003, 08:40 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
flushing the brake system is easy. you can use a one man bleeder total cost will be less than 20$
Old 12-01-2003, 08:56 AM
Pro

What's the difference in changing the brake fluid and flushing it?
My dealer flushed mine and after I compalined about the 85.00 charge he reduced it to 50.00 which is the cost for replacing the fluid?
Also, does changing the fluid actually help braking or is it just prevention?
Thanks!!!!
Old 12-01-2003, 08:58 AM
Team Owner

I’m a big believer in scheduled factory services, but this one is a rip-off.
And to think they didn’t even offer to clean the carburetor or swap the summer/winter air in your tires.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:59 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by louisn
What's the difference in changing the brake fluid and flushing it?
Thats what I am wondering also...I asked the dealer and they say its 2 different systems they are talking about. Changing the brake fluid and then the ABS system is different?? Is there fluid the runs the ABS system and then there is brake fluid...I thought the ABS system is electric??
Old 12-01-2003, 09:00 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Shawn S
I’m a big believer in scheduled factory services, but this one is a rip-off.
And to think they didn’t even offer to clean the carburetor or swap the summer/winter air in your tires.
Yeah no kidding...I like them to do the sevice checkups but this seemed a little excessive in price. A lot of it is checks and adjust to factory specs...and I would like that...but 530 bucks...umm no.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:31 AM
Instructor

Thats what I am wondering also...I asked the dealer and they say its 2 different systems they are talking about. Changing the brake fluid and then the ABS system is different?? Is there fluid the runs the ABS system and then there is brake fluid...I thought the ABS system is electric??
In my old lincoln, the abs system held a little extra break fluid that would not be included in a normal flush. They would have to plug in a special tool which (I think) activated the ABS and caused the fluid to start moving. Our cars might have something similar to that.

-Vlad
Old 12-01-2003, 10:01 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Vlad B.
In my old lincoln, the abs system held a little extra break fluid that would not be included in a normal flush. They would have to plug in a special tool which (I think) activated the ABS and caused the fluid to start moving. Our cars might have something similar to that.

-Vlad
Well if thats the case it seems to me that it should be one thing and one charge...not 2 seperat things. Another thing, on this list it has adjust engin to factory specs...then a couple lines down they say adjust valves (engin cold)...shouldnt that be under adjust engin to factory specs...not 2 seperate things?? And then it says check and refill fluids...shouldnt that included Trans FLUID and brake FLUID....its like they are charging to check and refill fluids...and then charging again for some other FLUIDS unless its different because they are changing them?? I will have to have a little talk with these guys.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:06 AM
Drifting

Well if thats the case it seems to me that it should be one thing and one charge...not 2 seperat things. Another thing, on this list it has adjust engin to factory specs...then a couple lines down they say adjust valves (engin cold)...shouldnt that be under adjust engin to factory specs...not 2 seperate things?? And then it says check and refill fluids...shouldnt that included Trans FLUID and brake FLUID....its like they are charging to check and refill fluids...and then charging again for some other FLUIDS unless its different because they are changing them?? I will have to have a little talk with these guys.
They're probably changing the blinker fliud also (that's a really big job). Oh yeah, my 30,000 was 141.00 (with a 10% discount coupon).
Old 12-01-2003, 10:25 AM
WHO'S NEXT!!

i'm assuming none of you are mechanically inclined? if they tried to get you to pay for a dist cap and rotor, they're rapin the hell outa you!! even i wouldn't go that far when i was in the business. let me break it down for you in very simple terms
change your oil on reg basis ( 3-4000 miles)
trans fluid can be flushed @ 50k or so+/-
brake fluid shouldn't go bad much unless its been contaminated, i would go as far as to say flush @ 75k
abs fluid should even last longer! just put the abs system to use every once in a blue moon ( in snow, rain) to get the fluid to circulate
you can clean your air filter yourself
plugs last about 100k unless you've changed your a/f ratio and are running on the rich side
plug wires- just check for dry rotting or other damage
cabin filter you can change yourself if you want to ( i still have my original one in)
parking brake is self adjusting everytime you use it
valve cover gasket should be changed when you have a leak or get your valves adjusted, which i haven't looked into yet wether or not we need to adjust the valves in this car
Old 12-01-2003, 11:10 AM
Pro

quiccls. So what's the difference in a brake fluid flush and a brake fluid repalcement?
Jen's?????
Old 12-01-2003, 11:14 AM
Blown LS6!!

I just paid $620 w/ tax for my 60,000 check-up. I think my 30k was around $300. I'm not as car-capable as are many of you guys. I paid the $620 for peace-of-mind. At least the tranny feels a bit smoother after fluid replacement.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:31 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by quikcls
i'm assuming none of you are mechanically inclined? if they tried to get you to pay for a dist cap and rotor, they're rapin the hell outa you!! even i wouldn't go that far when i was in the business. let me break it down for you in very simple terms
change your oil on reg basis ( 3-4000 miles)
trans fluid can be flushed @ 50k or so+/-
brake fluid shouldn't go bad much unless its been contaminated, i would go as far as to say flush @ 75k
abs fluid should even last longer! just put the abs system to use every once in a blue moon ( in snow, rain) to get the fluid to circulate
you can clean your air filter yourself
plugs last about 100k unless you've changed your a/f ratio and are running on the rich side
plug wires- just check for dry rotting or other damage
cabin filter you can change yourself if you want to ( i still have my original one in)
parking brake is self adjusting everytime you use it
valve cover gasket should be changed when you have a leak or get your valves adjusted, which i haven't looked into yet wether or not we need to adjust the valves in this car
Yeah I know...when I saw the Dis cap replacment...I was like huh!

My parking brake does not self adjust when I use it...it is loose as a goose...on anything more than a slight incline I have to leave the car in 1st as well as the P brake because it will role back.

Ok well in the list they have set the valvs to stock with the engin cold...so then I guess they should also replace the valve gasket correct?
Old 12-01-2003, 11:52 AM
WHO'S NEXT!!

Originally posted by louisn
quiccls. So what's the difference in a brake fluid flush and a brake fluid repalcement?
Jen's?????
no diff
Old 12-01-2003, 11:59 AM
WHO'S NEXT!!

Yeah I know...when I saw the Dis cap replacment...I was like huh!

My parking brake does not self adjust when I use it...it is loose as a goose...on anything more than a slight incline I have to leave the car in 1st as well as the P brake because it will role back.

Ok well in the list they have set the valvs to stock with the engin cold...so then I guess they should also replace the valve gasket correct?
yes, but it should be included in the valve adjustment qoute. has anyone ever worked on the rear brakes of the car before? if so they did not do it correctly if your having this prob?try this, park on level ground so the car doesn't roll and repeatedly pull and release the p-brake. test and see if it gets any tighter after awhile. if not it has to be reset as if it has just been thru a brake job. worst case senario the guides locked up, but i'm totally doubting that!!
Old 12-01-2003, 12:09 PM
Drifting

No brake job ever on the car...and I normaly park on level ground (pretty flat in Louisianna) and it is just loose...like the cable is streched out. I have to pull the lever up all the way for it to hold a little bit. Well the gasket should be in the quote of the valve adjustment...but its not...and ill bet thats the angle they will use. I will just tell then that I think it should be all inclusive of the adjustment and see if they knock any off.

This is good...I am formulating a list of the things I want dont...I just hope its much cheaper than 530 or I will feel robed
Old 12-01-2003, 12:37 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Spark plus do not need replacing as stated above. What kind of crap are they pulling over there?
Old 12-01-2003, 12:43 PM
Drifting

Well maybe this this is why it seems funny...I just saw on the top of the page that this is the list for 30k and 90k so maybe some of this stuff is for the 90k...but then that would make the price seem that much worse. I am going to have to go there and go over this with them.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:50 PM
Drifting

30K and 90K are the same. 60K is more than either.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:51 PM
Where is my super sauce?

With all the stuff that does not pertain to our car, you really have to have them itemize what they'll do for you and at what cost before you (and I and others) criticize them.

I'd check out the manual for factory recommended maintenance and compare that to what they'll do for you. It may be cheaper then you originally thought.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:59 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Originally posted by Slimey

it needs it
Old 12-01-2003, 01:01 PM
Drifting

No the cost came from them...I called and asked what does it cost for the 30k checkup on a 03 cl-s 6spd and they said 530 + tax

Maybe I will get them to fax me exactly what they do for 530 and then I will let you guys know
Old 12-01-2003, 01:15 PM
Drifting

Ok so they cant fax anything that has exactly what they do...he said the thing im looking at is kinda generic but the price for what they do is 530...if I didn't want some stuff done we would have to go over it all and then they would figure it up...so thats what I will have to do. But I now know more of what I would want done...thanks everyone!!!
Old 12-01-2003, 01:25 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Look at the maintenance schedule in your books. See what they recommend. I didn't have it performed before I turned mine in. I was 4-5000 miles over so I wasn't particularly worried about it. My quote (from PAA) was $500 or so. I decided it wasn't worth it for the time I would keep the car.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:40 PM
registered pw

while we are on the subject what does a timing belt change cost so i can prepare myself???
Old 12-01-2003, 01:44 PM
registered pw

when i replace the brake fluid i start with the furthest wheel from the master cylinder and and work my way to the closest. each time i use the one man bleeder and wait until the fluid comes clear. the 1st one takes forever. once they are all done i may do it one more time to ensure most of the old fluid is out. now i have not done this with my cl but with numerous toyotas.
if i were to fluch the brake fluid can i use dot 5 synthetic or is dot 4 still recomended??
Old 12-03-2003, 09:15 PM
My Member is Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by dallison
when i replace the brake fluid i start with the furthest wheel from the master cylinder and and work my way to the closest. each time i use the one man bleeder and wait until the fluid comes clear. the 1st one takes forever. once they are all done i may do it one more time to ensure most of the old fluid is out. now i have not done this with my cl but with numerous toyotas.
if i were to fluch the brake fluid can i use dot 5 synthetic or is dot 4 still recomended??
I believe there is a different method for bleeding brakes with ABS. You have to bleed the ABS system seperate or something.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
$380 for my 30K
Old 12-04-2003, 09:42 AM
6mt
Instructor

this is what the acura web site says for the 30k service:

Replace engine oil.
Rotate tires (follow pattern on page 269 of your owner's manual.
Replace engine oil filter.
Inspect front and rear brakes.
Check parking brake adjustment.
Inspect tie rod ends, steering gear box and boots.
Inspect suspension components.
Inspect driveshaft boots.
Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS).
Check all fluid levels, condition of fluids, and check for leaks.
Inspect cooling system hoses and connections.
#Inspect exhaust system.
#Inspect fuel lines and connections.
# = See information on maintenance and emissions warranty, last column, page 223 of your owner's manual.
Replace air cleaner element.
Inspect and adjust drive belts.
Replace dust and pollen filter.

it says the brake fluid must be replaced at 3 years independent of mileage. imo you should run from this dealership as they are trying to rip you off. 530????? the only thing that i see here that you may not be able to do by yourself is "Inspect and adjust drive belts"
Old 12-04-2003, 09:47 AM
Drifting

Well this is the only one in my area but I know one of the service guys over there. I am going to drop it off tomorrow morning and we are going to go over what I want done and what they will charge.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:41 PM
Banned

BWAHAHAHAHAH...goddamn....paying all that money for a service....I would have done it for you for cost of materials.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:51 AM
Spectacular Aroma About

Sounds like all you need is the e-brake adjustment and some filters replaced. If valve adjustment isn't part of the 30k service it shouldn't cost much at all. The brake fluid change is more time dependant as it draws moisture over time. 2 years should be plenty soon to change it unless it's been cooked at a race track or something. THere is an adjustment nut under the console for the e-brake. It's # 6 in this picture. If you need more adjustment you have to do it at the rear brakes but it's fairly simple.

Old 12-07-2003, 08:01 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,421 Posts
Take some K-Y Jelly w/you when ya head back to THAT DEALER...they are Fucking You!!!!
Old 12-08-2003, 05:11 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by moomaster_99
BWAHAHAHAHAH...goddamn....paying all that money for a service....I would have done it for you for cost of materials.
Lot of good that does me D hahahaha...why dont you travel your azz down here and hook me up
Old 12-08-2003, 05:15 AM
Drifting

ChadT that looks easy enough...I might try that first!! How do you get to that part???

Quick Reply: 530.75 for 30K checkup...say what!