31k for cls or 37k for g35 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 01:57 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
31k for cls or 37k for g35 coupe

I know most of you guys probably bought your cls before the g35 came out so what would you buy if they both came out at the same time.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:42 AM
Suzuka Master

well, i just got mine, but it was nowhere close to $31K. if that was the case, i would have opted for the G35.

i shopped both, but $27K (non navi CL-S) vs. $35 (G35 i was looking at) sounded much more appealing for me.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:12 AM
Banned

G35- coupe, red, tan interior, 6spd, navi.........cant beat it
Old 07-13-2003, 11:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Like GTKrockeTT said, since the CL has been discontinued, it's a buyers market. 29K will get you a CL w/ navi not 31 anymore. That is if you can find the color you want on a dealers lot.

I bought my CLS in October of 2002. The G35C was coming out about then, but because the CLS was such a great value, I bought it instead.

I'm a cheap bastard, so I couldn't see spending $5k-7k on the g35 (I still haven't fully warmed up to the interior) . I did think the CLS was worth the several extra grand over the new Accord tho' (the CL is less common then the Accord).
Old 07-13-2003, 01:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd take the CL-S over the G35.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:32 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Well...I did shop around when I was looking for a new car in early 2002. I looked at Acura, Infiniti, Lexus, MB, BMW, Saab, Volvo, Jaguar, and probably a couple others that I cannot think of off hand. I knew the G35C was coming very quickly and was willing to wait. The G35S was already out and I looked at it.

Although the CL and the G35 are in the same class, but they are very different cars. As stupid as it sounds, one is and Infiniti/Nissan and one is a Acura/Honda, and at first glance one can easily see their heritage. Personally, I have no desire to own a Nissan product. I hate their interiors and have not been impressed with their cars since long ago in the Datsun days. I must admit, the G35 has grown on me a bit (I've gone from to a ho-hum attitude), but I still wouldn't buy one. In the end, TO EACH THIER OWN, and Nissan is not on the list of cars that I really want.

The people on this board that have gone over to Nissan/Infinti seem to be very happy. They made their choices; I'll make mine; you make yours.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:36 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by Slimey

The people on this board that have gone over to Nissan/Infinti seem to be very happy. They made their choices; I'll make mine; you make yours.
I couldn't agree more!

There are some great choices out there right now. The G and CLS have their pros and their cons. Having differences of opinion is what gives forums like this a great place to become educated and have good discussions.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:45 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

I was actually goin to get the 2004 Accord 6MT but it wasn't going to be for 7 months until I could get a car and some lady had just T-boned me and totalled my Acura Legend.

Now though I'm 100% happy I got the CLS rather than the '04 Accord. I see those things EVERYWHERE now.

As for the G35, I'd get it if I had extra 7K or so. I picked up my CLS for 28350 and there's not a chance I'd get anything near that price on a G35. I wouldn't have ahd the money to get a G35.

It's ok though, after my downpayment I pay only $285 a month in my 60 month financing as opposed to paying about $100-150 more a month if I got the G35
Old 07-13-2003, 01:50 PM
The Liquidator

$285 a month.....lemme guess ur down was 14000-15000??

PH
Old 07-13-2003, 01:51 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by Scrib
...There are some great choices out there right now...
I couldn't agree more.

It is pretty cool how the market makes demands, and the car manufacturers follow suit. With every new release, they keep one-upping each other, which keeps the market going, and makes us drool even more and more for the next release.

I'm glad that I make enough salary to afford cars that exist in this 'really cool' market segment and don't have to settle for the bottom end.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:53 PM
Suzuka Master

more money left available for mods - making a car you don't see too often on the roads even more unique!
Old 07-13-2003, 02:26 PM
Drifting

Scrib is probably the authority here, owning both a CLS (automatic, I'm pretty sure, because learning to drive his 6 speed G dominated the board for a while), so I will leave it up to him to count up the pluses and minuses.

However, I am on my SECOND 2003 CLS 6 speed since November 30th, 2002. I changed from a silver non navi no spoiler to an anthricite with navi and spoiler to match my custom powder coated wheels. The exact same finish Nicky Pass is getting, and his pictures should post today on page 2.

My vice president bought a G35 sedan, and he gave me a spin in it, mostly to demonstrate the navi, and the ride was a factor in buying the anthricite car. I am no G35 expert by any means.

I think the cars are pretty equal, actually. But comparing COUPE to COUPE:

The G35 has 20 more horsepower. The G35 comes with 18" wheels (ours are 17"). I don't agree with people who "can't stand the G35 interior", it is nice, but I don't think it is as supple as the CLS. It's just my opinion, but the G35C back seat looks smallish to me, whereas I have no qualms about putting 6 feet tall people in the back seats. Almost everybody "wows" about the electric seats powdering foreward for access, then back once they are in. (I am pretty sure that the G35C HAS to have that also, but I don't know. Also to me, the G35 trunk looks smaller than what I would like. I do a lot of field work, and frequently have to haul around computers, printers and oven analysis hardware. Just the right amount of stuff that makes you want to take a car on a trip, instead of hauling all that crap to an airport.

Styling is purely a subjective matter. Many people complain that the CL styling is dull. I do not agree. I think the CL has the greatest styled "ass" of any car ever produced. And I apologize to the first generation CL guys in advance, but if there ever was a car that had dull styling versus the price, that car was it. It looked more like a boat to me than a car. The G35C wins the styling category over the CL, but for me, it is only because of the "zoot" factor. I am ambivilent about the G, I am not thrilled about the style of the car, but I wouldn't be embarrassed to be seen in it either. Just a perception, the G35C looks smaller to me than the CLS. That may be a plus for the G35 if the weight of the G35 tracks the percieved loss in size. One thing I will say about the CL, it is a beautifully assembled car, but she need to go on a diet. It weighs too much.

My VP got "on" the car, and it goes plenty good. Handles great also. The navigation systems seem to be comparable. In the CLS, the navi is always there, staring you in the face, but at least you can turn it off (I have never done that yet. I like my navi.) The G35 navi "pops up" when you push a button. I like the looks of the G35 dash when the navi is stowed, but when it is up, I don't know. It kind of looks like it is added on. However, you gotta give it to the Infiniti guys here, a very clever use of space, and a clean look when not using the navi.

Although the G35 navi appears to have very similar software, if not the SAME software, the G35 has a navi feature the CL does not have, namely a "birds eye view", and I like that. With the CL navi, you are constantly looking directly down at your route of travel, and that ain't bad (beats driving and consulting a map.)

The G35 birds eye view gives you the advantage thusly: Imagine driving from downtown Chicago to Milwaukee. After you punch in the destination coordinates, you get "elevated" by one or two miles into the sky, and you can see both Chicago at the bottom, and Milwaukee at the top. Also, there is an Icon that shows where your car is along the route.

Now to answer the question, and I expect Scrib to rebute (I have met Scrib in person, and I respect his opinion) about what I missed, I would choose the CLS 6 speed. Bigger wheels and 20 horsepower does not justify a $6000 price increase to me.
Old 07-13-2003, 04:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by dfreder370
Bigger wheels and 20 horsepower does not justify a $6000 price increase to me.
better brakes
better tires
better seats
*full electric both sides
*full heaters on both sides
better frame
weight balance near 50/50
better suspension
more powerful engine
rear wheel drive
better aftermarket performance packages
auto windows
auto moonroof

6k does a bit more then bigger wheels and tires man.
Old 07-13-2003, 04:49 PM
Drifting

i would go g35 black/black coupe
Old 07-13-2003, 07:52 PM
Instructor

I think the CL has the greatest styled "ass" of any car ever produced.
I didn't begin to appreciate my Cl's ass-end until about a few months into my purchase. I was coming back from Blockbuster, and was staring at my car at an angle. The late-afternoon sun was hitting it just so, and I swear to God, it had to be about the best looking car I'd ever seen. Still true, really. And what made that so? The back end -- the way its satin silver rounded softly into the bumper.

... that, and this chick-ee with an equally delicious ass-end who was checking out my car -- well, she told me so....

Since then, I haven't seen my car in that same exact way. Though believe me, the thrill is far from gone. The G35 does have some impressive teutonic styling. But I doubt I'd still pick it over my CL.

more money left available for mods
That's seems to be pretty true. For $6k, you could add a lot to the CL.

But heck, they're both impressive. Go for a test drive, and tell us what you get!! [Thumbs up]
Old 07-13-2003, 08:23 PM
It's Always Shabbat

would take the cls even if it were just as expensive..
Old 07-13-2003, 08:25 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,105 Likes on 2,708 Posts
c'mon its just another andylau try and start a flame war thread. This dude will never reply to this again as he never replies to any of the other arguement starting threads he created.

We all know to each their own, lets all stay friends and move along.
Old 07-13-2003, 10:14 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by ABreece
I'd take the CL-S over the G35.
Me too, especially at the prices they're going for now !! Probably save 10K, that's alot of $$ for mods
Old 07-13-2003, 11:01 PM
8th Gear

I would take the CLS over the G35 anyday, but right now I would just wait for a couple more months and get the GTO for 33k-35k.

Mark
Old 07-14-2003, 01:19 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally posted by PewterZr2
I would take the CLS over the G35 anyday, but right now I would just wait for a couple more months and get the GTO for 33k-35k.

Mark
the new GTO looks :thumbsdn:
Old 07-14-2003, 02:49 AM
///M POWER

save the 6 grand, get the cl-s

add new :
tires
intake
headers
springs
sways
wheels
brakes

and you'll still have extra $$$$
Old 07-14-2003, 03:04 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Originally posted by elliot
would take the cls even if it were just as expensive..
Really? you wouldn't like RWD and more power plus a better suspension for the same price? That'd be hard to believe.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:08 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Originally posted by darrinb

add new :
tires
intake
headers
springs
sways
wheels
brakes

you can add NOS to that list at a grand for all the goodies and still be under 6 grand.

but you'll never get the real RWD sports car feel nor the JDM support that the G35 has.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:59 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
ur gonna get flamed for saying that:flamer:

brembo front & back w/ 13" rotors front &back = 4G
Mich pilot sport tires = 800
18" = 1G+
true dual exhausts =???
that s about 6G right there....

but CL is still the best value for the $$ tho.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:11 AM

I personally love how the g35c looks, but i probably wont get it cuase its infiniti/nissan....
Old 07-14-2003, 07:38 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by darrinb

add new :
tires
intake
headers
springs
sways
wheels
brakes

Sure, go for it.

You still won't have a car that'll handle as well as a stock G.

But you'll have a quick car, if you can find traction.

<flame suit on>

Old 07-14-2003, 08:21 AM
CL 6 speeder

I test drove both and the 6 speed CL-S was a better car. I also paid $27.6K before taxes, tags and title.

There is no doubt in my mind that the CL-S 6 speed has a superior drive train. Much better gas mileage and almost as much power, higher redline and a far better 6 speed transmission. The G35 clutch is like a truck clutch. The 6 speed is far smoother for downshifting.

Handleing. G35 has an edge here and its RWD. However the HLSD on the CL closes the gap more than you make think. Really pulls you around curves... Only FWD car I ever drove that allows you to accelerate through turns.. I love it.

Styling. A matter of taste but the G35 coupe is a bit too agressive for me. Besides I am more concerned with being in the drivers seat then looking in from outside.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:27 AM
CL 6 speeder

Originally posted by civic4982
Really? you wouldn't like RWD and more power plus a better suspension for the same price? That'd be hard to believe.
It astounds me that all the G35 lovers cannot believe that EVERYONE in the UNIVERSE would not agree with them that the G35 is the BEST car god allowed us to have on this earth.

Everyone is different. I like the CL. The G35 6 speed sucks in my opinion. You may think otherwise and thats fine. But get over it.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:49 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I like the look of the G35 coupe, the side profile is very nice. Front and back are not as nice. I did not like the interior that much, felt like a compact car.
I'm really trying to understand the comments on the CLS rear. I never liked it, to me, it's bland looking bulbous plain. And the headlights are way too big, do not look sporty at all. If the CL had more distinctive styling I'd give it a 98%. But as is, I give it a 90%.
Sport coupes need sport styling. I think the BMW 3 coupes are the best looking coupes out now. The Z is cool, but I'd rather have the S2000 in that segment.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:50 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by joeandcarol2
I test drove both and the 6 speed CL-S was a better car. I also paid $27.6K before taxes, tags and title.

There is no doubt in my mind that the CL-S 6 speed has a superior drive train. Much better gas mileage and almost as much power, higher redline and a far better 6 speed transmission. The G35 clutch is like a truck clutch. The 6 speed is far smoother for downshifting.
Pffft... A truck clutch? Now that's being a little harsh, don't you think? It's a different feel, I will admit, but it's not as bad as you're describing. You're certainly entitled to not like it, but calling it a "truck clutch" is like calling the CL a POS. Both are untrue statements. The G has a shload more torque than the CLS. The power is more linear on the G than the CLS, and hence we don't wind up to over 7K rpms for a redline. The pwer is there for us, any time.

Handleing. G35 has an edge here and its RWD. However the HLSD on the CL closes the gap more than you make think. Really pulls you around curves... Only FWD car I ever drove that allows you to accelerate through turns.. I love it.
I'm going to disagree on this one with you. Push a stock CLS6spd and a G35 6mt into a turn hard and you'll see a huge difference. Yeah, the HLSD on the CLS makes up for things but there's more than just an "edge" of a difference between the two.

Styling. A matter of taste but the G35 coupe is a bit too agressive for me. Besides I am more concerned with being in the drivers seat then looking in from outside.
Styling is subjective and very opinonated. And I'm not going to disagree with you on this one. To each his/her own.

My responses were meant to stimulate conversation, not to flame the CLS. IMHO, this thread was to start shit, and it seems people have taken the bait, like me for example. I just find it funny that some people can bash a car that is winning awards left and right.

I love the CLS 6spd. It's a kickass car. No arguments from me on that topic.

Can't we all just get along???
Old 07-14-2003, 08:51 AM
Team Owner

It astounds me that all the G35 lovers cannot believe that EVERYONE in the UNIVERSE would not agree with them that the G35 is the BEST car god allowed us to have on this earth.
I agree..... FUK EM !!! :pfawk:

CL-S 6-SP RULZ !!!!
I would buy another one if I was shopping TODAY !!!

Shawn S
Old 07-14-2003, 08:54 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Everyone is different. I like the CL. The G35 6 speed sucks in my opinion. You may think otherwise and thats fine. But get over it.
Opinion noted, but not well taken!

This thread was started by the same troll who starts these same shittin' threads about once a month.

Combine that with it being a Monday and a full moon last night and we've got a receipe for a "My car is better than your car" thread. :P
Old 07-14-2003, 09:09 AM
Masshole

I drove tmk70's new G35C 6MT yesterday afternoon. It is a damn nice ride. It looks sweet, IMO, and to the many people who seemed to stare as we drove by. It sounds nice and growly, too. Sweet exhaust, I think. The clutch and shifter, I thought, were nice and easy. Not Civic-easy, but that's not a fair expectation. The interior was nice...not as supple or plush as the CL-S, but quite nice. It's definitely less roomy than the CL-S, but it's a slightly smaller car. The navi is awesome. The stereo seems about the same as in the CL-S, although it has two more speakers (like my '98 3.2 TL-P). The auto windows and moonroof are cool. The sills are a nice touch, too. The vents that roll around are . The trunk is considerably smaller than in the CL-S, but the seats fold down. The engine bay is nice, with the battery in its own compartment behind the engine firewall/heatshield and the main firewall.

I'd say that the car is damn nice, and if I had $37k to spend on a car, it would be between the G35C and a Supra TT.

That said it's not practical for me, given where I live and the length of my commute. There is too much snow in MA/NH for me to have RWD, given my 90 miles-per-day commute.

When the CL-S came out, it raised the bar for other manufacturers. Its combination of luxury and power, at its price, was, and still is, unbeatable. However, it is no longer necessarily the top car out there. Hell, it's no longer in production. Others have caught up, in terms of power, and some have come close in terms of luxury. The G35C may be a "better" car right now, but some other car will come along and usurp its position. It's reasonably cyclical...it's the competition that drives the manufacturers and benefits us as enthusiasts. I love my CL-S...it's my baby. But, I recognize that it's not the car for everyone, and that other options are available for people with desires/means that differ from mine.

Todd has himself a beautiful car, and I'm happy that he's as happy with his decision as he is. He has told me many times that he loves the CL-S, but he didn't feel comfortable with the 5AT, and he didn't see the point in getting a 6MT version. I can't say I disagree with him, either.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:24 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Originally posted by Scrib
Opinion noted, but not well taken!

This thread was started by the same troll who starts these same shittin' threads about once a month.

Combine that with it being a Monday and a full moon last night and we've got a receipe for a "My car is better than your car" thread. :P

WORD

9 posts, 9 topics.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:43 AM
Masshole

The G35 clutch is like a truck clutch. The 6 speed is far smoother for downshifting.
I'll disagree all over this statement. The G35 shifter is as tight as a bull's ass and I have driven both. Truck clutch? It's one of the easiest clutches I've ever used...do you have anemic legs or something? I can tell you as a lover of BOTH cars that the feel of the G is WORLDS above the feel of the CL-S in every area, hands down. Fuck this flaming bullshit....now I'm pissed.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:44 AM
Masshole

Originally posted by Shawn S
I agree..... FUK EM !!! :pfawk:

CL-S 6-SP RULZ !!!!
I would buy another one if I was shopping TODAY !!!

Shawn S
Too bad it's discontinued. Let's move on.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:22 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Since i only bought my car 3 months ago and DID look at the G35c, I'd have to say I'm still very happy in my decision. The G35c has that unique styling that IMO looks good from the side, OK from the back and sucks from the front. With the CL you get the conservative style from all angles so there's no bitching.

When we went to the dealership and sat in the G35c the interior was waaaay to small for me. It felt like being in a cave and the seats were too small for my bulbous ass.

Both cars are great and anyone can find enough + and -'s to make ya but overall I'm glad i got the car I'm in now, and thats with no mods. Yet.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:42 AM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
It's so fucking disappointing to see threads go this direction on this forum. 'Joeandcarol' obviously is for some reason very defensive about his car, and repeatedly lashes out at anyone who might see more value in something else. It's all opinion guys, and we all have our own. I didn't see anyone flaming the CLS when joe/carol/whoever came out with their "I think the g35 sucks "comment. People were asking objective questions. Replying with "your car sucks" is childish. ShawnS agreeing with him is even more disappointing. Especially considering his age. Grow up guys, this isn't a contest. IMO the person who started this thread is not to blame for this behavior, the forum members who take it personally, get bent out of shape, and lash out are.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:11 PM
Banned

G35c is better than CL-S period :pfawk:
whoever came out with their "I think the g35 sucks "comment cus they can't afford it.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:18 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by endless
G35c is better than CL-S period :pfawk:
whoever came out with their "I think the g35 sucks "comment cus they can't afford it.
:whocares: :noob: IBTL !!!

Quick Reply: 31k for cls or 37k for g35 coupe