3.2 CL S v.s. Altima SE-R

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 08:25 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.2 CL S v.s. Altima SE-R

I'm already late for work and doing a nice 80mph when this Altima came STRAIGHT UP on my bumper like he was trying to read the label on the collar of my dress shirt. I gun it a little as I lane change to the left and this dude flies by me like he's out of his mind - he's immediately already 6 car lengths ahead of me. Okay, I drop it in 3rd to catch up (mind you this is peak morning rush hour traffic) but there are too many cars between me and him to make a serious gain.

We hit another thicket of cars and he's forced to slow down. I catch up to him and sit on his bumper. He sees an opening and guns it again like he's being chased by 10 state troopers. I'm right behind him by about 3 car lengths, zig zagging through traffic, but I'm not going to be just as reckless as he is and risk crashing my car to beat him like I would have in my younger years of racing.

There was just no way that I could get a good shot at this dude - He's going through cars and going out on the emergency lane - having to cross through the beginning of an exit ramp - trying to get enough of a jump to give him the illusion he was winning. I had one last shot to get his ass before my exit but I was blocked in by cars all around me long enough for this fool to get 5 bus lengths ahead of me before I could break free. I held 3rd until I was at 7000rpm before I upshifted but By that time he was too far for me to catch up before my exit. As I made my exit I could see him break heavily, which tells me the punk was out just for me to begin with. I'm going to assume his Altima was the top model and this dude didn't have any mods, so I made a comparison between my 02' CL S and the top of the line Nissan Altima SE-R and I found the Altima only has 19 more torque, which means if it had been a true one-on-one all the way to top speed without this fool gaining bus lengths while I was blocked by slower cars we would have been fairly close.

See, what pisses me off is people that race like that only race if they know they're racing a superior car i.e. using fist fulls of rush hour traffic to aid in their getaway. I only did shit like that when I was just acting the fool in my CL 2.2 and messing with cars like M3's and Porsches but there's no need to do that punk move with a car that's fairly even with you in specs. Apparently, this dude's ego was so fragile he needed as much of an edge to stay ahead.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:55 AM
o1s
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
why does your story turn into a rant halfway through? i've raced am se-r on the interstate and beat him by a fender. it sounded like he was spending an awful lot of time shifting though.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:55 AM
Instructor

I'm not ranting. It's the way I write. I pretty much figured we would be even. But it sucks that the CL S is over 200 pounds heavier than the Altima. The CL is the better car, though
Old 11-30-2006, 01:42 PM
ALL SHOW AND NO GO

So you lost ?
Old 11-30-2006, 02:22 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You wouldnt of caught him once he is ahead..they have gobbles of torque and plenty of HP
Old 11-30-2006, 02:25 PM
Advanced

"I'm already late for work and doing a nice 80mph when this Altima came STRAIGHT UP on my bumper like he was trying to read the label on the collar of my dress shirt. I gun it a little as I lane change to the left and this dude flies by me like he's out of his mind - he's immediately already 6 car lengths ahead of me. Okay, I drop it in 3rd to catch up (mind you this is peak morning rush hour traffic) but there are too many cars between me and him to make a serious gain."

Some questions.

How can you be doing 80 MPH in "peak morning rush hour traffic?" Where do you live? If that is what you call traffic, I am moving there!

How did your car respond when you were doing 80 MPH and dropped it into 3rd? Last time I did that, the car's transmission grabbed very hard and the entire front end took a nose dive. The tach jumped very high and I did not have much RPMs left to red line. It was somethiing I would never do again. 80 MPH in 4th or 5th, no problem. But not 3rd.

Thanks
Old 11-30-2006, 03:06 PM
Intermediate

I believe the redline in 3rd is 93mph...so its easily possible to drop into 3rd at 80mph though you'd have to go to 4th almost instantly lol
Old 11-30-2006, 03:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by boetheis
"I'm already late for work and doing a nice 80mph when this Altima came STRAIGHT UP on my bumper like he was trying to read the label on the collar of my dress shirt. I gun it a little as I lane change to the left and this dude flies by me like he's out of his mind - he's immediately already 6 car lengths ahead of me. Okay, I drop it in 3rd to catch up (mind you this is peak morning rush hour traffic) but there are too many cars between me and him to make a serious gain."

Some questions.

How can you be doing 80 MPH in "peak morning rush hour traffic?" Where do you live? If that is what you call traffic, I am moving there!

How did your car respond when you were doing 80 MPH and dropped it into 3rd? Last time I did that, the car's transmission grabbed very hard and the entire front end took a nose dive. The tach jumped very high and I did not have much RPMs left to red line. It was somethiing I would never do again. 80 MPH in 4th or 5th, no problem. But not 3rd.

Thanks
I cant imagine y it would be impossible, in my 2.3 CL 5 spd i could shift to 3rd going 80mph, all the way up to like 90. i would think that a 5at 2nd gen could do it
Old 11-30-2006, 03:14 PM
Intermediate

Of course your car took a nose dive, thats what happens when you downshift cause you're going into higher rpms
Old 11-30-2006, 09:20 PM
says "hello to my TLX".

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
there's a guy around the corner that has one. he looks like he's probably a cool guy. one of these days i'm going to ask him to go for a run. unless he's moderate to heavily modded.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:57 AM
White as night.

I was neck and neck for about a minute at WOT with an 06 SE-R but at first I didn't know that it was a SE-R and I just thought it was a heavily modded Altima, that is, until I read his front brake calipers.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:23 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Corrosion
I was neck and neck for about a minute at WOT with an 06 SE-R but at first I didn't know that it was a SE-R and I just thought it was a heavily modded Altima, that is, until I read his front brake calipers.
I have noted that most of the posts detailing their encounters with Maximas, Altimas and G35's are from 20mph or more It is from a stop where these cars have a real advantage over our 3.2's due to their superior torque.

I have raced my wifes G35 AT with my lightly modded CLs AT and from 20 mph on I dust her but from a standing start she consistently leaves me.

I have used my Gtech on both cars and the G consistently pulls a 14.4 to my 14.6.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by iisylentii
So you lost ?
Winning or losing isn't even the point when I was stuck behind four cars while the idiot chose to risk a several car pile up by taking the emergency lane and flying through an exit ramp and get nearly a 10 bus length head start. SHow me an Acura CL S that can catch up to an Altima SE-R with a 10 bus length head start and I'll show you an Acura with a blown Hemi under the hood.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:18 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by boetheis

Some questions.

Thanks
I live in Birmingham, AL. Peak rush hour traffic is kind of sporadic down here. Some days you're inching while other days you can zip between cars even though its still fairly heavy.

I've never had problems with my car nose diving when I dropped it in 3rd at 80mph in either my CL S or my CL 2.2. From my experience both cars responded well. I could pull up to 6500rpm in my 2.2 before the restrictor kicked in and was forced to upshift but my CL S pulled up to 7000 before I upshifted.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:33 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Corrosion
See, I didn't really get a chance to get a good look at the car so I'm not sure it was an SE-R. I'm just assuming from how this car carved through traffic it was an SE-R or modded. I was too busy trying to keep an eye out for the cops and not cause a wreck at the same time. I don't recall seeing any special lettering on the back of the trunk lid when I was sitting on his bumper. But it's not like I'm crying a river - the Altima I was racing is a 2006 ( v.s. my 2002) with an evenly matched engine, it's 230 pounds lighter, and has slightly more torque.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:41 PM
kl-de

"I'm already late for work and doing a nice 80mph when this Altima came STRAIGHT UP on my bumper like he was trying to read the label on the collar of my dress shirt. "
lol
for some reason the whole time i imagined you getting beat by a sentra ser, i totatlly ignored the altima part, i was shocked then i came to my senses lol i forgot they made an altima se r
its a sexy car tho, i like the rims but yea like you said the acura is better hands down
Old 12-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Kenpachi Teichou

For a 3.2CLS third gear at 80mph would only put you around 5k rpms. After I put my intake in I've hit just over 100mph topping out third gear. I don't think it's unreasonable at all to drop it to third at 80mph.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:50 PM
says "hello to my TLX".

Originally Posted by oneilc
For a 3.2CLS third gear at 80mph would only put you around 5k rpms. After I put my intake in I've hit just over 100mph topping out third gear. I don't think it's unreasonable at all to drop it to third at 80mph.
why wouldn't you? our top end of the tach range is in the VTEC stage. that's where most of the power is to be had.

btw, what part of SD are you from again?
<--from National City
Old 12-01-2006, 08:27 PM
Kenpachi Teichou

Originally Posted by Sun Diego CL-S
why wouldn't you? our top end of the tach range is in the VTEC stage. that's where most of the power is to be had.

btw, what part of SD are you from again?
<--from National City
I'm not in the city. I'm actually up in north county. I just say San Diego because people's eyes glaze over if I tell them anything else.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:55 PM
says "hello to my TLX".

what part of North County?