2nd Turbo Install Complete. Official Pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 08:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't make me come up and spank all of you guys!
Old 07-12-2004, 08:49 PM
Sold 12/29/04 :-(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now that you've got the turbo, it's time to add some STICKERS!!!

Click Here

Old 07-12-2004, 09:03 PM
Safety Car

I am sure my wife would appreciate this one!!!
Old 07-12-2004, 10:34 PM
///M POWER

get that stick and put it over the air bag ones ram
Old 07-13-2004, 12:07 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by allmotor_2000
Don't make me come up and spank all of you guys!
I would say BRING IT, but then I would have this blue and silver streak flying by me instead of just the blue one. This would be me in the drivers seat as you two fly by me

Screw it! I will go ahead and say BRING IT!! Then maybe you will drive up here with him and then I can have both of you in a video. That would be pretty cool.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:46 AM
Speed Addict

Originally Posted by 03WRB-WRX
I would say BRING IT, but then I would have this blue and silver streak flying by me instead of just the blue one. This would be me in the drivers seat as you two fly by me

Screw it! I will go ahead and say BRING IT!! Then maybe you will drive up here with him and then I can have both of you in a video. That would be pretty cool.
Cars you picked for the vids look like some good matches, like I said wish I could be there to play...

Ross, if you let me drive your car, I would be so far ahead of those FWDs by 60 they wouldn't catch up in the 1/8 mile. If you drove it like it was on Gran Turismo, the outcome would be the same, but you are scared of your own car...
Old 07-13-2004, 01:14 PM
ex 6 Speed owner :(

Yeah we don't hook up until 3rd gear, I'm not even sure I could catch up in a 1/4. I think it would be a close race but Ross won't go from a dig. If he did I'd be like
Old 07-13-2004, 01:34 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

as cool as all this power is......what's the point if you can't get the power down to the ground??
Old 07-13-2004, 01:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Zapata
as cool as all this power is......what's the point if you can't get the power down to the ground??
I would have thought you would understand this.

Because you don't have to use all of it all of the time. Part throttle driving is also enhanced.

Also, the at speed acceleration is very nice, such as on the highway.

Lastly, the act of trying is as enjoyable as the accomplishment.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:53 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally Posted by scalbert
I would have thought you would understand this.

Because you don't have to use all of it all of the time. Part throttle driving is also enhanced.

Also, the at speed acceleration is very nice, such as on the highway.

Lastly, the act of trying is as enjoyable as the accomplishment.

I don't find it enjoyable to feel my cars tires spin. I love the power without a doubt but when 1-3 gears are rendered useless it ends up being more of a hazard. Having gobs of power 4-6 must be awesome on the highway but that's only useful when you are on the highway. Of course i'm speaking in terms of FWD...... All i have is the ice box and lighter rims and have traction issues unless the temp is past 80 degrees and the ground is completely dry. On a car thats heavy and needs to put the power down to the ground at low speeds......50hp spinning my wheels does nothing for acceleration.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:07 PM
Suzuka Master

I don't find it enjoyable to feel my cars tires spin. I love the power without a doubt but when 1-3 gears are rendered useless it ends up being more of a hazard. Having gobs of power 4-6 must be awesome on the highway but that's only useful when you are on the highway. Of course i'm speaking in terms of FWD...... All i have is the ice box and lighter rims and have issues unless the temp is past 80 degrees and the ground is completely dry.
You must look at the throttle as an on/off switch then. I am sure there are performance driving schools in your area that can help you.

The NA 6MT only has traction problems on launch or during the 1-2 shift. So if you are having traction problems you may want to look at the driving style.

Anyway, traction is a problem in the lower gears even rolling on the throttle. But that is where judicious control of your right and left foot is required. You learn how to drive with the added power and use it to your advantage and for fun.

An example of real benefits; I can be in 6th at 60 MPH and hitting the gas will allow decent acceleration. Enough power is there to get me around traffic easily. But if I want even more response it is only a down shift away.

Also as an example and as mentioned before, I prefer to be in front of traffic when leaving a light. This no longer requires winding it out. I can shift at 4k revs and be well in front of traffic.

Those are just real word benefits. On a road course or back road driving where speeds are above 40 MPH most of the time, the benefits are clear. You can leave it in 3rd during most spirited driving and have the grunt at any RPM point and then up shift or down shift where needed. For those who like the drag strip and can control the power, the benefits are significantly lower ETs and higher trap speeds.

And lastly, it is a hobby. One which provides the above benefits.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2LOW4U
Cars you picked for the vids look like some good matches, like I said wish I could be there to play...

Ross, if you let me drive your car, I would be so far ahead of those FWDs by 60 they wouldn't catch up in the 1/8 mile. If you drove it like it was on Gran Turismo, the outcome would be the same, but you are scared of your own car...
I'm not scared of my car, I'm scared of having to pay for a new tranny. Those damn things are expensive! I don't have the money that you do, you have to remember that. This isn't the most powerful car I've had and that car I had before, I raced everywhere. You know which one I'm talking about.

There is no way I'd let you race my car! I would have to be druged, shot, tied to a chair, while somebody was beating me senseless first. No offense. I've seen you race. It is fine with your cars, but I don't want mine treated like that. I drive like an old man now.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlueCLS6
Yeah we don't hook up until 3rd gear, I'm not even sure I could catch up in a 1/4. I think it would be a close race but Ross won't go from a dig. If he did I'd be like
I have no doubts that you could beat me. It doesn't sit with me well reving my car up to 5K and dumping the clutch with around 260 ft. lbs. of torque hitting that drivetrain all at once. I'm just going to race you from a roll. Besides, it will make your car look better in the video seeing it take off at different speeds. It won't bother me, I'm already used to seeing the tail-lights of a CL. I'm just going to see them get smaller much quicker now.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
is that the excuse you use for not modding your car?

with great powa come great responsibilty.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:54 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally Posted by mattg
is that the excuse you use for not modding your car?

Old 07-13-2004, 04:02 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Scalbert,
:P I can drive lol.... but to address your points. Yes def...the fun factor is given. But i find it irritating with the current setup that partial throttle doesn't get me what i want and full throttle unless optimal conditions will result in traction issues. Sticker tires and wider rims have helped SOME but again i'm battling physics. I'm basing my comments on my experiences and what i've read and watch from others on this board (allmotor, you, smitty). Partial throttle for you must result in relatively good result to move our heavy ass cars but for the NA 6MT folk it's all or nothing.....unfortunately. Now again, i'm only speaking of very specific and limited situations....but those it is during those situations where i need the grip

You must look at the throttle as an on/off switch then. I am sure there are performance driving schools in your area that can help you.

The NA 6MT only has traction problems on launch or during the 1-2 shift. So if you are having traction problems you may want to look at the driving style.

Anyway, traction is a problem in the lower gears even rolling on the throttle. But that is where judicious control of your right and left foot is required. You learn how to drive with the added power and use it to your advantage and for fun.

An example of real benefits; I can be in 6th at 60 MPH and hitting the gas will allow decent acceleration. Enough power is there to get me around traffic easily. But if I want even more response it is only a down shift away.

Also as an example and as mentioned before, I prefer to be in front of traffic when leaving a light. This no longer requires winding it out. I can shift at 4k revs and be well in front of traffic.

Those are just real word benefits. On a road course or back road driving where speeds are above 40 MPH most of the time, the benefits are clear. You can leave it in 3rd during most spirited driving and have the grunt at any RPM point and then up shift or down shift where needed. For those who like the drag strip and can control the power, the benefits are significantly lower ETs and higher trap speeds.

And lastly, it is a hobby. One which provides the above benefits.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Scalbert,
:P I can drive lol.... but to address your points. Yes def...the fun factor is given. But i find it irritating with the current setup that partial throttle doesn't get me what i want and full throttle unless optimal conditions will result in traction issues. Sticker tires and wider rims have helped SOME but again i'm battling physics.
See, just on the way home I experienced one of the finer moments. I was on I-575 headind home and traffic was hardly moving. Turns out there was some work going on well off the road which people decided to watch as they passed.

Anyway, there were two semi's in front of me and finally one got over. This opened up a clear stretch with no cars for at least 1/4 mile. I was doing about 60 and started slowly accelerating. Then I decided to open it up since I normally don't. I went down to fourth and got on it.

Obviously the tires bit at this speed and gear but it still pulled well. I looked down and was over 100 MPH in just a matter of seconds and the car was pulling hard enough that you could seriously feel the force. And this was with the OAT reading 97 F. I would nearey equate the pull to what the car would do NA in 2nd.

That was one of the reason for this power. It was controlled and smooth and very serious.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:09 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

See, just on the way home I experienced one of the finer moments. I was on I-575 headind home and traffic was hardly moving. Turns out there was some work going on well off the road which people decided to watch as they passed.

Anyway, there were two semi's in front of me and finally one got over. This opened up a clear stretch with no cars for at least 1/4 mile. I was doing about 60 and started slowly accelerating. Then I decided to open it up since I normally don't. I went down to fourth and got on it.

Obviously the tires bit at this speed and gear but it still pulled well. I looked down and was over 100 MPH in just a matter of seconds and the car was pulling hard enough that you could seriously feel the force. And this was with the OAT reading 97 F. I would nearey equate the pull to what the car would do NA in 2nd.

That was one of the reason for this power. It was controlled and smooth and very serious.

yea can't disagree with situations like that. i'd rather have more power than less. But that was at highway speeds and the temp being at 97...i can imagine what the road surface temps and tire temps were. I love having the power because on relatively warm days my tires just grip.....slip the clutch from 3.5k wheels don't spin...just grip and go but it's just that I hate having to have the moon and the stars align just right so i can the power down
Old 07-14-2004, 06:23 AM
Suzuka Master

just grip and go but it's just that I hate having to have the moon and the stars align just right so i can the power down
As you mentioned earlier, it is either all of none with the non-blown versions. What if you could get your acceleration right on the verge of the tire adhesion limits and be able to control it with throttle input. Granted 1st is more difficult, 2nd is a better but once in 3rd you can go WOT. The biggest aspect to keep in mind is that this power is very controllable with power delivery being linear to throttle input.

Yes, when the weather is colder it becomes more difficult but it is still capable of being controlled.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:24 AM
Suzuka Master

i'd rather have more power than less.
Then why are we having this conversation.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:20 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Then why are we having this conversation.

yo know....i want a car that's quiet but fast. Handles on rails but is comfortable over bumps. Drives like RWD but won't get stuck in the snow. 40mpg but has 5.0 sec 0-60.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:27 AM
Suzuka Master

yo know....i want a car that's quiet but fast. Handles on rails but is comfortable over bumps. Drives like RWD but won't get stuck in the snow. 40mpg but has 5.0 sec 0-60.
Ah, the unobtainomobile, it is sweet...
Old 07-14-2004, 10:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
very clean installation. are there plans to market this booster?
Old 07-14-2004, 12:03 PM
Speed Addict

I'm not scared of my car, I'm scared of having to pay for a new tranny. Those damn things are expensive! I don't have the money that you do, you have to remember that. This isn't the most powerful car I've had and that car I had before, I raced everywhere. You know which one I'm talking about.

There is no way I'd let you race my car! I would have to be druged, shot, tied to a chair, while somebody was beating me senseless first. No offense. I've seen you race. It is fine with your cars, but I don't want mine treated like that. I drive like an old man now.
LOL, I didn't know 260# feet would blow a transmission... I have about 800 and my tranny works, leaks a little but still works... haha

You don't have the money I do? You live at home, and have to be making over 40K a year. I make 5.25/hr plus tips, and work 8-12 hours a week... If you don't make 400/month, you need a better job.

I was giving you a hard time, as your car is already damn fast, just need to drive it like it was the Camaro and MERGE! It isn't going to break dude, it is just a few times every once in a while. If it broke the first time someone beat on a similar car, do you think anyone would buy it? Hell I was thinking about getting a STi, but if it is going to break on the test drive, I think I'll pass and get a Nissan or Toyota.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:57 PM
Instructor

LOL, I didn't know 260# feet would blow a transmission... I have about 800 and my tranny works, leaks a little but still works... haha

You don't have the money I do? You live at home, and have to be making over 40K a year. I make 5.25/hr plus tips, and work 8-12 hours a week... If you don't make 400/month, you need a better job.

I was giving you a hard time, as your car is already damn fast, just need to drive it like it was the Camaro and MERGE! It isn't going to break dude, it is just a few times every once in a while. If it broke the first time someone beat on a similar car, do you think anyone would buy it? Hell I was thinking about getting a STi, but if it is going to break on the test drive, I think I'll pass and get a Nissan or Toyota.
I am not going to get into an economics discussion with you. Yah, I live at home, but it isn't free by any means. It is actually pretty expensive, but still cheaper then living somewhere else around here. California is expensive and the economy sucks, so I can't even use my degree. I know you aren't paying rent where you're at or utilities. Again, I live at home, but I still pay for everything and that is why I don't have any money.

On the transmission, that is why they call them the 'glass' transmissions. They are weak. It doesn't take much to destroy them. The STi six speed is much stronger then the five speed in the WRX. Subaru has many complaints regarding this as many people have had to take their transmissions in. I get on it every now and then, but not often. Since I have to pay for my own gas and use 91 (expensive out here), I don't want to waste it. I need a job like Steve's and then I will have the money rolling in. I should of done engineering instead.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ThinJim
very clean installation. are there plans to market this booster?

it on the discussion table... Allmotor will address it when he gets back from Asia
Old 07-14-2004, 03:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
a 6mt may be in mattg's future.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:12 PM
Speed Addict

I am not going to get into an economics discussion with you. Yah, I live at home, but it isn't free by any means. It is actually pretty expensive, but still cheaper then living somewhere else around here. California is expensive and the economy sucks, so I can't even use my degree. I know you aren't paying rent where you're at or utilities. Again, I live at home, but I still pay for everything and that is why I don't have any money.

On the transmission, that is why they call them the 'glass' transmissions. They are weak. It doesn't take much to destroy them. The STi six speed is much stronger then the five speed in the WRX. Subaru has many complaints regarding this as many people have had to take their transmissions in. I get on it every now and then, but not often. Since I have to pay for my own gas and use 91 (expensive out here), I don't want to waste it. I need a job like Steve's and then I will have the money rolling in. I should of done engineering instead.
It's cool dude, I didn't know the trannies were such crap, or I wouldn't have suggested you play harder on it... I figured you were just being cautious old Ross...

I don't pay rent, Yet, but am paying all the utilities, and all my bills, gas, food, school, etc. The Benz isn't technically mine, so I don't pay for it either. I spend about 800-$1,200 or so a month, and a lot of what I spend is coming from investment money I made early in the year. I don't drive my Mustang anymore beause of the outragous gas-prices here as well. It is $2.00-$2.10 a gallon and that was after the gas prices went down last month, they were in the 2.20-2.30 range. My Stang gets 7-9 mpg around town, so I understand gas money. It costs 20-30 bucks to take it out for one time, so don't need to get into the gas crisis with me.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:06 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sellout.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Better sooner than later.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:02 PM
Instructor

It's cool dude, I didn't know the trannies were such crap, or I wouldn't have suggested you play harder on it... I figured you were just being cautious old Ross...

I don't pay rent, Yet, but am paying all the utilities, and all my bills, gas, food, school, etc. The Benz isn't technically mine, so I don't pay for it either. I spend about 800-$1,200 or so a month, and a lot of what I spend is coming from investment money I made early in the year. I don't drive my Mustang anymore beause of the outragous gas-prices here as well. It is $2.00-$2.10 a gallon and that was after the gas prices went down last month, they were in the 2.20-2.30 range. My Stang gets 7-9 mpg around town, so I understand gas money. It costs 20-30 bucks to take it out for one time, so don't need to get into the gas crisis with me.
No, it's cool. I don't know why they used the five speed in these cars. This tranny isn't what they use in the rally car. The six speeds are pretty cool. They are a pretty close ratio gearing, sort of wierd to drive at first. There is a guy here I know that put one in his WRX, but it takes a little modification to do so.

I'm surprised the gas prices are that much there. They are close to $.20 more per gallon here. There were places in the Bay Area that hit about $3.00/gal for a while. Needless to say, I steered clear of those places.

Anyway, I can't wait till he brings up his turbo CL. He will be here in two weeks. I hope I can get a hold of an SRT-4. He wants to beet the crap out of one and quite frankly, so do I. I have this idea for a little movie I'm going to make. I'm hoping to get some nice camera angles, too. I have a little camera that hooks up to the video camera that you can mount outside or inside the car. Plus, I'm hoping that I will have two cameras going. Don't get your expectations too high, though. I'm not Steven Speilberg.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:55 PM
ex 6 Speed owner :(

By the way guys, I should have bigger exhaust by then so I can stomp the Neon even more. Going from 2-1/8" cat back to 2-1/2". With the turbo that may yield an additional 10hp or so. Too bad I don't have a dyno... you know how I love data
Old 07-14-2004, 11:04 PM
Beware of leakage

By the way guys, I should have bigger exhaust by then so I can stomp the Neon even more. Going from 2-1/8" cat back to 2-1/2". With the turbo that may yield an additional 10hp or so. Too bad I don't have a dyno... you know how I love data
that neon into the ground blue
Old 07-14-2004, 11:45 PM
Cruisin'

happy hunting - long live the modified J32!
Old 07-14-2004, 11:56 PM
///M POWER

your gonna miss the auto when ya drag matt
Old 07-15-2004, 07:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Too bad I don't have a dyno... you know how I love data
When are you or Ramanan going to hit the rollers?? I'm counting the days until my numbers are blown away.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:17 AM
Instructor

When are you or Ramanan going to hit the rollers?? I'm counting the days until my numbers are blown away.
When he comes up to visit, he is going to use my dyno in the backyard that I built.

http://www.josephthompson.net/austin/
Sorry, I had to show it off.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:20 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Old 07-15-2004, 09:20 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chopper
that neon into the ground blue
It isn't for sure that I will be able to get a hold of one. I'm trying to get different types of cars for the turbo CL video for you guys. If not the SRT-4, then I'm going to try for a new 350Z. No promises, though.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:32 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Can I bring my LS1 Trans Am to play.

Quick Reply: 2nd Turbo Install Complete. Official Pics