2004 Cadillac XLR

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2002, 06:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually think it's pretty nice. At least Cadillac is trying something different. I love how Honda/Acura innovates with styling. (sarcasm) Take a look at the Honda Pilot. Yawn!!

In regards to Northstar reliability: my roomate's father is the head mechanic at a Cadillac dealership. He used to work at a Honda Dealership about 6 years before he moved to Cadillac. He said the Northstar is as reliable as any Honda engine he has ever worked on in the past. Not that this is a fact, but I trust his opinion.

In regards to quality, all I know is that my car rattles like a tin can,and I am very worried about my transmission. Not at all what I was expecting from an Acura. (I guess you can tell I am a little disgruntled) At least I love our engine and the content/value equation
Old 09-20-2002, 02:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Deff. like the way cadl. is moving w/ the new cars.

http://www.autoweek.com/search/searc...01191&record=2

Old 09-20-2002, 07:11 AM
Pro

DAMN!!! look at the trunk on that thing!! finally!!

my mom had the previous model of SL and the trunk was just shit. wheelbase was too short too...this must be a much better ride....BRING BACK THE LANDYACHTS!!
Old 09-20-2002, 08:52 AM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
This Cadi is a bad azz ride! If nobody else buys them every rapper and sports star will have one sittin on twinkies!

Is it just meet or does it look like a mustang from the rear quarter panel back?
Old 09-20-2002, 08:57 AM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
This looks like the interior of a 30k$ car, not a 75k$ car.

Old 09-20-2002, 10:26 AM
Casual Observer

I gotta say it.

I really like this new Cadillac.
I'm not sure if I would buy one, but I think it would look pretty cool on the road.

It looks like it has the same proportions as the last gen SC400, with the exception that everything is angular instead of curvy.

As for the quality of a GM product, I would need some convincing.
As for whether its worth $60k or those other high numbers people have been throwing around, I doubt it.

But if this car came in loaded in the mid to high 40's I think they would sell them.

People say Cadillac's are ugly but I really like the fact that they have their own look that is different from other marques.
Old 09-20-2002, 10:50 AM

First off, it is based of a focking CORVETTE platform.
The vette will cost 40k
This car will cost almost 80k.
Do the math.
You can do GM favors if YOU want to (like the Caddy Tahoe) but that makes no sense to me.
The CTS looks horrible, this car has NO CHANCE vs the SL, SC 430, XK Jag, etc. It looks straight off a computer. The cars in GT-3 look more realistic than this one.
Look at that interior, are you kidding me? That looks cheap and horrible.

Caddy should concentrate on what it knows best, big cushy cars for the people in Florida. This young Caddy crap will be as unsuccessful as the young Lincoln LS.

This new look is so old already. Ford did it (does it) with it's "NEW EDGE" styling and BMW is copying it too.

Imagine for a minute, the SC 430 based off the Supra platform, or the SL 500 based off the C-class platform....forget about it....

This car will appeal for those that want an "American" car....
Old 09-20-2002, 11:25 AM
Instructor

It is based on a Vette,... but is far from one. The interior is designed by Bulgari and is supposed to be real nice. The convertible hardtop is a manufacturer that is the same as the SL i believe.

Also.. this is not a "tin can". It has composite fiberglass panels. Also... suspension wise, it has magnetic shocks and much more technological goodies in it.
Old 09-20-2002, 11:28 AM
Instructor

More for you to read:

David Leone, chief engineer for the Cadillac XLR, wants us to clearly understand that his 330-hp luxury/sport roadster is not a Corvette-neither in content nor in purpose. It's been conceived as a polished, smooth-riding two-seater flagship aimed at Mercedes-Benz' SL500, Jaguar's XKR, and Lexus' SC 430. The design and engineering goal was to create a car that's cozy curbside on Park Avenue and equally happy making tracks on the Interstate.
"It's a luxury car with performance-car roots," explains the affable Leone, "and it's also the first vehicle off the next-generation performance architecture." But he knows that ignoring the car's Corvette connection is impossible. When production cranks up next May, the XLR will be built in the same Bowling Green, Kentucky, plant that assembled the 33,655 Corvettes sold last (calendar) year. It has essentially the same hydroformed frame-rail construction as the Vette. The two will share body and paint shops, but will be assembled on different lines. He also acknowledges that many of the same electronics, suspension, body structure, braking, heater/ventilation/air-conditioning, and even some driveline components will serve in the next-generation C6 Corvette (the current car is internally dubbed C5). Many industry critics jokingly refer to the XLR, which will carry a considerable $30,000 premium above the C5, as the "Vette Version 5.5."

Leone tells us that using this Corvette-derived rear-drive platform was not a certainty from the start. GM's new Sigma chassis, currently used under the '03 CTS sedan and later to be offered under the '04 SRX crossover and '05 Seville, was considered for the XLR. But because the Corvette's underpinnings were conceived from the start for convertible duty, it seemed a more natural match.

Due to this relationship, there's a slight resemblance between the XLR and the Corvette. But a side-by-side comparison reveals the Cadillac is about 2 in. shorter overall than the Chevy, although it rolls on a longer wheelbase. Another important dimensional difference that makes entry and exit friendlier is the XLR's 2-in.-higher hip point.

With its 50/50 weight balance, the XLR is intended to set the handling standard among its competitive set. But Leone says it won't beat a Corvette around a racetrack. "It's a bona fide performance roadster," he says, "but it's not a 1.0g car on a skidpad. We're not going for Lexus quiet either. There'll be more feedback, and what's there will be intentional."

Contributing greatly to the XLR's suppleness goal is real-time shock damping afforded by the use of the GM/Delphi-developed Magnetic Ride Control system. Like the '03 Corvette, it uses magneto-rheological shock fluid to provide new levels of body and wheel control. Leone also specified smaller-diameter anti-roll bars for the XLR, trading a measure of increased body-roll for less abrupt handling. It'll be interesting to see where Cadillac actually fixes the XLR's ride/handling balance, as the luxo/sport roadster buyers' taste varies considerably in this area.

Page One Page Two

STATE OF THE ARTS
Cadillac's upcoming XLR needs to be good. The last time GM's wreath-and-crest division took the luxo/roadster path, it failed on both content and execution. The Allanté of '88-'93 was a nice enough looking piece, courtesy of design and body construction by Italy's Pininfarina. But it suffered from an old-tech front-drive powertrain (a Northstar V-8 came along in time for its final year), a manual top (unthinkable in this class), and a substandard interior. A new Mercedes SL came out in '90 and blew the underconceived and underdelivered Allanté off the map.
Now, there's another new SL-and an exceptional one at that. The new Maserati Spyder packs both Italian style and serious performance. And there's the Porsche Carrera Cabriolet. And the Lexus SC 430. The ever-beautiful XK8 gets a substantive update for '03. So the Caddy is diving into shark-infested seas in seeking style-conscious, demanding, and well-to-do clientele.

We doubt if many of the XLR's potential customers will care that it stems from Corvette beginnings. Some may have no interest if a car's body panels are made of composite plastics, aluminum, or Silly Putty. But everything they see, touch, and experience better say "quality and class," or the XLR will go the way of the dodo bird-and the Allanté. We'll know for sure when we see its final pricing and experience that all-important first test. Make no mistake, however: The challenge Cadillac has undertaken is huge.

Matt Stone

The XLR is motivated by a 4.6L DOHC Northstar V-8 making about 330 hp, up from a 300-hp rating in DeVille DTS trim. This compares favorably with the power ratings offered by Lexus and Mercedes. Tweaks for XLR duty include a forged crank, direct-mount accessories, a drive-by-wire throttle, and the additional breathing capability afforded by variable valve timing. In the beginning, there will be one transmission: a five-speed automatic with sequential up- and downshifting. Leone wouldn't discuss the notion of a much-rumored manual.
You can have the XLR's plastic body panels finished in black, silver, shale, medium red, deep blue, or gray metallic. What happened to the aluminum bodywork originally considered? Leone says the low weight and corrosion and dent resistance of composite body panels won the day. Certainly, aluminum's generally higher initial and potential repair costs must have also worked against it. Yet Leone says the XLR's body-quality standards are set to match those of its aforementioned steel-bodied rivals.

The XLR's retractable hardtop is a tour-de-force bit of technical origami that folds and stows itself in the trunk at the push of a single button. The supplier, interestingly, is a joint venture between Mercedes-Benz and Porsche called Car-Top Systems. Leone assures us that, unlike the Allanté's, this too will be wind/watertight and squeak free.

A finely crafted cabin is critical in this class of automobile; the market will not accept less, and the standards out there are high. Warm-toned Eucalyptus wood covers the XLR's door handles, shifter, steering wheel, and center console. Anodized aluminum panels with a fine lithographed finish cool and modernize the look; the metal bits are splashed on the center stack, steering wheel, sill plate, and door trim.

Jeweler Bulgari designed the watch-like analog instrumentation, which consists of a 160-mph speedo, a 7000-rpm tach with 6500-rpm redline, and smaller coolant and fuel gauges; the graphics on these smaller gauges seems a bit too fine for a quick read. The XLR carries a GM first: radar-based adaptive cruise control. There's also a head-up display on the windshield showing speed, adaptive-cruise-control operation, gear selection, and priority messages about things like low voltage or overheating.

Other goodies include a GPS-based navigation system, hands-free phone, XM radio, a six-CD in-dash unit, park assist, heated and cooled bucket seats, front- and side-impact airbags, and a stability-control system. Nostalgia (and in-car romance) freaks, rejoice: The drive-in movie lives. You can play DVDs on the dash nav screen-as long as the transmission is in Park. Interestingly, there will be no Night Vision system: Leone tells us demand for this gadget has fallen off. Instead, the XLR packs seriously bright high-intensity-discharge high and low beams.

This isn't a traditional-looking car, so it's no surprise it doesn't have a traditional ignition key. Instead, a fob-like transmitter communicates with a hidden antenna. With the transmitter in your pocket, takeoff involves stepping on the brake, pressing a starter button on the dash, engaging a gear, and hitting the gas-something we'll look forward to doing in just a few months' time.

http://www.motortrend.com/aug02/cadi...adillac_f.html
Old 09-20-2002, 11:38 AM

Bulgari, wow, Timex is designing the interiors......
Old 09-20-2002, 01:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Bulgari, wow, Timex is designing the interiors......
Your comparing Bvlgari to Timex?. I'm not a big fan of Bvlgari, but they are good watches...... I think you should stick to cars.

Mind you, these are discounted prices

http://www.equationoftime.com/salebo...ges/28117.html

http://63.86.16.186/saleboard/messages/28113.html

http://63.86.16.186/saleboard/messages/28111.html

http://63.86.16.186/saleboard/messages/28120.html
Old 09-20-2002, 02:47 PM

Why would you outsource work to a watch company? I dunno just sounds crazy. Omega for me though....

I think they need to concentrate on the Deville, CTS and Seville, before jumping into this. The Seville was THE Euro fighter initially. The revision in 98 kept the interior nice, but the exterior was bland and performance was okay. Now the Lincoln LS V-8 is the best American sporty sedan. I would like for them to make the Seville really kick-ass!

BTW, Lutz DELAYED this car, he really hates the way the new Caddy's look "angry kitchen appliances". He could not tweak the CTS but will tweak this car. Not sure where the styling direction will go after this....
Old 09-20-2002, 02:55 PM
Safety Car

geez, some of the comments are just so retarded like trying to relate the 40k price tag of the c5 in some way to its platform, duh. and reliability compared to a benz, do people actually know where mb stands as far a quality cars? and interior quality looking like a 30k car? the interior looks great-for a gm its almost unbelievable/ very clean.

gee, look at this interior, looks like it was ripped out of a 17k celica gt.

2001 dependability rating for all car brands..
http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/0...01102afull.gif

sure its different, but if everything look like a mercedes then there would be no way this car would sell. kinda like the bmw 6-series looking all freaky, breaking the mold of previous bmws. it looks a lot nicer than the cts inside and out, probably the first cadillac in a while that is really going to stand out and be noticed for being a nice car.
Old 09-20-2002, 03:12 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Why outsource work to a watch company? Basically additional status/cachet.....Bvlgari designed the gauges and the remotes for the XLR.

The new Seville is due in 04 sometime....will be RWD, so it will be the best full size Domestic Euro fighting sedan to date.

Caddy is reworking the CTS interior.....coming in 04 I believe, also the upcoming and confirmed CTSi should be very cool (350hp, 6spd, 18's).

Remember the SL500 is a very hot looking car, but if you read some of the reviews it definitely has some faults. So, I think the XLR will give it a nice run for the money.

The XLR is an extremely important car for Caddilac. They can't afford to introduce another Allante.
Old 09-20-2002, 04:11 PM

Has anyone here sat or drove a Caddy? Let alone one 4 or 5 years old? They need A LOT of help to be taken seriously. I do think if they are successful, it will help ALL of the product line, including other GM brands.

Honestly though, I think "RAPPERS" will advertise for this car (like the Escalade)more than anybody.......

Bvlgari is a very good watch company (forgive my ignorant Timex statement) but how many people know that. The only espensive watch that comes to most people's minds is Rolex (sigh).
Old 09-20-2002, 08:26 PM
Pro

i think patek...no?
Old 09-20-2002, 09:54 PM
An ETC Owner

Cadillac made the mistake of changing the EVOQ concept car.

The Northstar is one of the most reliable engines in the world.

I drive my 97 ETC, like a test-driver. Cadillac offers a name, and a rich history to back it up. Sometinh that Lexus, Acura, Infiniti and what not dont have. Now only contenders are BMW and MB. JD power and associates ranked Cadillac #3 in long-term reliability (if my brain is functoining), and i think secoind to Saturn, best in customer satisfaction. I dont like the "feel" of most import cars, like MB, Honda/Acura, toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infiiti, BMW. I like pancake in the steering and no brake pedal stuffness. Emergency manuvers with a pinky is a must. I am just saying that this is what CAdillac has to offer to the traditional buyer, and still compete with other brands.

99.9% of all "problems" arrise from improper maintance, contrary to popular beleif.:P (I havent had any major prob to date)

DOES ANY other car let you preform on board diagnostis with no machine? Cadillac does!

Cadillac is on the road to becoming (and is somewhat) an "off" brand. What is once was, and is still too me, a Cadillac!

Funny thing is that some ppl say why par 80K for a Vette?

Well if you want a vette then buy that, right? Most corvette owners will say that they prefer the manual top, simply beacuse of ease of use. I personally dont like the vette, but I'd love vete like performance for a Cadillac. How many MDXs, RLs, do you EVER see? I see virtually none and usually a 3:1 TL vs CL on the street.

The SL500 looks so much like its siblings, and uguly at that, the E,S,C classes look very nice.

Id probably never condier a BMW or MB, but thats my perogritive.

GM is still #1!

Im not bashing anyone here, just some thoughts.

The XLR is nice, but the steering wheel makes me want to vomit. I cant wait to see the new V series Cadillacs, and I AM waiting!
Old 09-20-2002, 10:12 PM
Banned

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Has anyone here sat or drove a Caddy? Let alone one 4 or 5 years old? They need A LOT of help to be taken seriously. I do think if they are successful, it will help ALL of the product line, including other GM brands.

Honestly though, I think "RAPPERS" will advertise for this car (like the Escalade)more than anybody.......

Bvlgari is a very good watch company (forgive my ignorant Timex statement) but how many people know that. The only espensive watch that comes to most people's minds is Rolex (sigh).
I have driven a newn Devile, and a new GS430. I liked the Deville 10x more, felt stronger, felt smoother, and more luxurious for the same price. I think it is a great car. The new XLR is also, i beleive, a great looking car. The interior could use some work though, Benz deffinitly has it beat there. I also hope it has closer to 400hp than 330.