2004 Cadillac XLR

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2002, 11:39 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Cadillac XLR

Powered by the next-generation Northstar V-8 and sharing its platform with the upcoming C6 ‘Vette, this all-new luxury roadster puts the ‘sport’ back in sportscar with over 400 horsepower.

Our information says the XLR is coming in late 2003, with rear-wheel drive, a folding hardtop, a Michelin PAX run-flat system, a “virtual” ignition key and adaptive cruise control.
Old 05-23-2002, 11:44 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For how much? $50k no thanks,.... $30k.... yeah maybe I will look it up!
Old 05-23-2002, 11:46 AM
Retired Post Whore

That car looks like its remote controlled. :o
Old 05-23-2002, 11:55 AM
Where is my super sauce?

The nose/headlights of these newer Cadillacs make them quite fugly. Yucccccccch!
Old 05-23-2002, 12:04 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
For how much? $50k no thanks,.... $30k.... yeah maybe I will look it up!
Heh, try $70k.
Old 05-23-2002, 12:26 PM
Masshole

Originally posted by charliemike

Heh, try $70k.
I wouldn't pay 70K for ANY GM product. This looks like a second-gen Allante to me....butt ugly.
Old 05-23-2002, 12:33 PM
('''\_(o_0)_/''')

Why would anybody pay $70,000 for an XLR, with GM-quality and engineering, when you can have the gorgeous and much more prestigious Mercedes-Benz SL500? I imagine only die-hard GM fans and old timers who's 401K was cashed out a few years ago will buy this automobile.

Admittedly, it looks much better than the CTS...this looks reasonably restrained and fluid, unlike the slab-sided CTS. The grille could use a little bit of work...ribs are too thick.

The supercharged Northstar will be a sweet engine, if it holds up in durability. Personally, I think GM could have benefitted from calling it the Eldorado...it meets all of it's requirements (RWD, two doors, etc.) and has recognition. But GM isn't sentimental enough, and is doing the alphanumeric route like everybody else in the universe.
Old 05-23-2002, 12:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

The Cadillac XLR is awesome, its built on the new C6 Corvette platform.......I would consider it, its going to be like $68k. The SL500 bases at $86,500.

Wide and Low, it will be a real attention getter.

Old 05-23-2002, 12:48 PM
Masshole

Originally posted by Beltfed
The Cadillac XLR is awesome, its built on the new C6 Corvette platform.......I would consider it, its going to be like $68k. The SL500 bases at $86,500.

Wide and Low, it will be a real attention getter.

All it'll get is negative attention from me....what's with the big empty spaces next to the headlights?
Old 05-23-2002, 01:07 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by tmk70
All it'll get is negative attention from me....what's with the big empty spaces next to the headlights?
maybe that's where the machine gun and the missle launcher emerge from...the car does look like something from a comic book
Old 05-23-2002, 01:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Slimey

maybe that's where the machine gun and the missle launcher emerge from...the car does look like something from a comic book

Ooh, never thought of that....I like it even better now.

Its definitely a controversial looking car, but I really like Cadillacs styling direction. They just need to get their act together on the quality front.
Old 05-23-2002, 01:35 PM
__

I can't wait until this car comes out...

and fails! Cadilac will finally learn their lesson. Muhaha! It is ugly, cheaply made, overpriced and can't compete with a Benz.
Old 05-23-2002, 01:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone have any rearend shots?

I think the side view is OK, the the front is really ugly IMO. Definetly not nearly as stylish as the SL500. Good to see there will be more roadsters again though

(b.t.w the SL320 is going to be available sometime in the next year again) for around $70k for those that don't need the HP.

whats with the cadillac boxy styling, I don't get it.
Old 05-23-2002, 01:49 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Gm is a joke. They should call this thing 'I couldn't afford a Mercedes SL'...you'd think they would have learned their lesson with the allante. That bitch is gonna depreciate like a mofo. GM needs to lose their cubist/picasso wannabe chief designer and start building some decent looking cars.
Old 05-23-2002, 01:53 PM
Masshole

Originally posted by zeroday
Gm is a joke. They should call this thing 'I couldn't afford a Mercedes SL'...you'd think they would have learned their lesson with the allante. That bitch is gonna depreciate like a mofo. GM needs to lose their cubist/picasso wannabe chief designer and start building some decent looking cars.
Better yet, they should just close down. After such hits as the Cimmaron, Catera, and Allante, I can tell you I WOULD NOT miss them!!!
Old 05-23-2002, 01:56 PM
Moderator Alumnus

People who buy a Benz are going for a Benz......very few are going to cross shop the XLR and SL500. Its really not a good comparison.

Tell you what, I would get an XLR over that ugly and feminine SC430.

Also, why would you want the car to fail?......hopefully it will be nice enough that it won't. I think our economy is low enough as it goes.

Old 05-23-2002, 02:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by tmk70

Better yet, they should just close down. After such hits as the Cimmaron, Catera, and Allante, I can tell you I WOULD NOT miss them!!!
The Cimmaron??? that was ages ago. The Catera was just a boring car, not a bad one (based off the Opel Omega), the Allante was a good looking overpriced car for the time- the Northstar engine came too late.

Cadillac is coming out with a 400hp LS6 powered CTS.....they are certainly on the right track. With Lutz at the helm, it should only get better.
Old 05-23-2002, 02:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
People who buy a Benz are going for a Benz......very few are going to cross shop the XLR and SL500. Its really not a good comparison.

Tell you what, I would get an XLR over that ugly and feminine SC430.

Also, why would you want the car to fail?......hopefully it will be nice enough that it won't. I think our economy is low enough as it goes.

thanks for the pic.

Ya I agree, definetly not comparible to the SL. But I think it's great the roadsters are on a comeback!

I'm not too sure about the rear end either. I'll have to see on of these babys in motion.

SC430: totally agree with you, but it does look tight with DUB's.
And whats with the back seats on the 430?!?!? WTF was lexus thinking. Those win the award for the most usless rear seats. Even the 911TT can at least fit a small kid in the back. (barely) but the SC430 the seats cannot be used.

They definetly should have made the SC430 a 2 seater.
Old 05-23-2002, 02:04 PM
Masshole

The Cimmaron??? that was ages ago. The Catera was just a boring car, not a bad one (based off the Opel Omega), the Allante was a good looking overpriced car for the time- the Northstar engine came too late.

Cadillac is coming out with a 400hp LS6 powered CTS.....they are certainly on the right track.
Dude...look at those rear lights in the pic you posted. If that's the right track, then I'll take the track less travelled!!! If I had a dog that looked like that, I'd shave his butt and make him walk backwards!!
Old 05-23-2002, 02:11 PM
__

Originally posted by SiGGy

SC430: totally agree with you, but it does look tight with DUB's.
And whats with the back seats on the 430?!?!? WTF was lexus thinking. Those win the award for the most usless rear seats. Even the 911TT can at least fit a small kid in the back. (barely) but the SC430 the seats cannot be used.

They definetly should have made the SC430 a 2 seater.
Have you seen the Jag's XK8/R's seats? Wonder whose are bigger...

Um Beltfed, it's a cadilac and it's GM...why not?
Old 05-23-2002, 02:20 PM
Race Director

The Catera was just a boring car, not a bad one (based off the Opel Omega), the Allante was a good looking overpriced car for the time- the Northstar engine came too late..
Actually the Catera was a piece of shit. I know two people that owned them and they both fell apart with similar probs. Transmission problems and major electrical problems. Terrible build quality.

As for GM having something major to do with our economy...well they do but they shouldn't. They don't deserve it. They continue to try to swindle consumers into buying a poor quality prouct. When their cars fall apart, they could care less and pretty much brush you off with the idea that if you don't buy their cars, someone else will. Well they've done that for way too long and they are losing market share because of it. GM simply deserves to fail. The U.S. is strong and we will survive without em; something better will just take their place.
Old 05-23-2002, 02:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Acura3.0CLP
Um Beltfed, it's a cadilac and it's GM...why not?
I happen to like Cadillac as a brand and seeing them fail would suck.

They are losing Oldsmobile, that I don't see a problem with....that division didn't appear to be going anywhere.

But Cadillac definitely has the potential to put out some serious machines.

Bob L. is serious about Cadillac being competitive with other makes.

Don't forget its GM that will be coming out with the new C6 Corvette having close to 450hp (reported).

Lets not forget what we drive.....tin can, front wheel drive, heavy Acuras, with plastic interiors, along with transmission problems and who knows what else.
Old 05-23-2002, 02:31 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

i'd have to agree with beltfed here. it doesnt look half as bad as some of you say. with a supercharged V8 i wouldnt turn one away. what is with all this GM so it must suck thinking, wait till it comes out and then we'll see. i happen to like the new design&technology look cadillac is going for. this is in no way comparable to the catera or the SL. the catera was a mindless decision and the SL is one of the greatest cars ever. kinda like Ryan Leaf (Catera), Joe Montana (MB SL) and Daunte Culpeper (XLR). you just cant compare them they dont fit in the same categories. i'll take an XLR.
Old 05-23-2002, 02:35 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Lets not forget what we drive.....tin can, ...Acuras, with plastic interiors.
with all due respect Beltfed, these Tin Cans are pretty well designed from a safety perspective and even though the plastic inside the TL/CLs may not be avant-garde, they are a lot better then most of GM's (i.e. look at Motor Trend long term review of the Acura 3.2TL and heir comparision to the OLdsmobile Aurora which both have similar base prices)

I don't want 2 see Cadillac fold, but their new design direction is very questionable and aimed 2 specifically to a certain target group. But don't worry, I bet we'll see alot of these Caddy's in rap videos

p.s. the side of the XLR is similar2 the current Benz SLK, IMHO
Old 05-23-2002, 02:36 PM
__

Lets not forget what we drive.....tin can, front wheel drive, heavy Acuras, with plastic interiors, along with transmission problems and who knows what else.
tin can? Aren't they all?
FWD? I prefer Fwd over RWD for snow
Plastics? Practicaly all cars have plastics. no problems there
Tranny problems? I don't have any and there are 3 acura's in my garage.
Old 05-23-2002, 02:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by unsure

with all due respect Beltfed, these Tin Cans are pretty well designed from a safety perspective and even though the plastic inside the TL/CLs may not be avant-garde, they are a lot better then most of GM's
I guess so, but my car still rattles more than "any" vehicle I have ever owned...amazingly.
Old 05-23-2002, 02:42 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Acura3.0CLP

tin can? Aren't they all?---actually not really, Acura's metal is ridiculously thin.

FWD? I prefer Fwd over RWD for snow----definitely subjective, I like RWD.

Plastics? Practicaly all cars have plastics. no problems there----exactly, thats my point.

Tranny problems? I don't have any and there are 3 acura's in my garage.]----you're lucky, a good amount of people on this board have had them
Old 05-23-2002, 02:51 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I guess so, but my car still rattles more than "any" vehicle I have ever owned...amazingly.
Yea Rattling sucks BIG TIME! I wish we could make a sticky entitled "Problems we wish Acura/Honda would fix" ; Hopefully that would catch the attention of someone from Honda/Acura Headquarters who instead of coming up w/solutions 2 fortify our trannies, surfs this board :don't worry we won't tell Tom C :
Old 05-23-2002, 03:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm with Beltfed and ItalianStallion... I like it.

-Ash
Old 05-23-2002, 03:26 PM
Race Director

not to hijack this thread or anything but just out of curiosity when did your rattles start? I have 7k on my car and no rattles whatsoever...are they coming???
Old 05-23-2002, 03:37 PM
('''\_(o_0)_/''')

I have only seen two CTS's on the road since it's introduction...I don't see Cadillac succeeding with this...maybe the LS6 powered CTS will allow people to get over it's unconventional appearance.
Old 05-23-2002, 05:08 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Kinda looks like a Prelude on steriods
Old 05-23-2002, 05:09 PM
Certified Lurker

I actualy happen to like the way it looks, its 10x better then the CTS. But this is just my opinion.
Old 05-23-2002, 05:13 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Ooh, never thought of that....I like it even better now.

Its definitely a controversial looking car, but I really like Cadillacs styling direction. They just need to get their act together on the quality front.

I knew you would like that as soon as i read it!! :P
Old 05-24-2002, 12:37 AM
Pro

FUGLY!

That one word describes Cadillacs "new look" design.

The new SL looks significantly better than this car.
In fact this looks like a weird interpretation of the old SL.

It should have a great chassis & motor but styling sux!

GM needs to fire all those Pontiac Aztec designers.

Smoking too much crack!
Old 05-24-2002, 01:05 AM
www.drippinwet.com

Originally posted by AcuraFanatic
Why would anybody pay $70,000 for an XLR, with GM-quality and engineering,

The supercharged Northstar will be a sweet engine, if it holds up in durability.
gm stabilitrack is rated one of the highest of any system

Northstar engine is a great engine with alot of room for even more potential

yes i think american car quality has slipped, but i can tell you alot of high end cars that cost much more are not much to rave about either (not mentioning any names) - cars are getting more and more complicated and things will break, i do like my acura, and think the quality is very good though

some of us in our jobs would not be hurt, but some would if we all scrapped the buy american thing and only bought things from overseas, but alot of us would be affected, i commend cadillac on moving into a new direction, and welcome the new styling and hp
Old 05-24-2002, 01:52 AM
6th Gear

Don't forget its GM that will be coming out with the new C6 Corvette having close to 450hp (reported).

I just test drove a $55K Corvette convertible that you have to put the top down manually. Let hope the XLR is a more intelligent design.
Old 05-24-2002, 02:11 AM
Safety Car

I happen to like Cadillac as a brand and seeing them fail would suck.

I'm with ya Beltfed, I've been in Caddys all my life around my dad and I've never forgotten the words.... "There’s just somethin’ about a Cad..."
Old 05-24-2002, 02:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
i think it's pretty cool. will be fast too.
Old 05-24-2002, 05:42 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Originally posted by jstenuf

I just test drove a $55K Corvette convertible that you have to put the top down manually. Let hope the XLR is a more intelligent design.
corvette top - 1-2-3 easy and quick, the new cadillac is supposed to be electric and hydralic

Quick Reply: 2004 Cadillac XLR