2003 Eclass unveiled (big pics)......

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002 | 10:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

2003 Eclass unveiled (big pics)......

Old 01-15-2002 | 10:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Technical innovations standard/optional

Active seat ventilation: Mini-ventilators allow air to flow through the seat interior. optional in conjunction with leather upholstery

Adaptive accelerator pedal: The engine characteristics are adapted to the personal driving style. standard in all petrol
models

Adaptive front airbags with two-stage gas generators: Driver and front passenger airbags inflate according to accident severity. standard

Air control system: A microprocessor closes the lower air intake depending on the driving situation, improving the Cdvalue. standard in models E 240 and E 320

AIRMATIC DC: The enhanced air suspension now adjusts the springing and damping according to the driving situation. optional/standard in the E 500

Auxiliary ventilation: Solar cells in the roof supply the power to drive the ventilation fan of the automatic climate control system, cooling the interior when the saloon is parked. optional in conjunction with panoramic sliding sunroof

Belt force limiters: During a crash this system reduces the forces exerted on the occupants by the seat belts. For the first time belt force limiters with adaptive control are fitted for front seat occupants. standard, on the outer seats in the rear

Belt tensioners: Any slack in the seat belt is instantly taken up during a crash. standard, on the outer seats in the rear

Bi-xenon headlamps: Powerful gas discharge lamps for dipped and high beam improve safety at night. optional/standard for AVANTGARDE

"Bluetoooth" telephone: Fixed telephone installation allows cable-free telephoning in the interior of the new E-Class. optional

Child seat recognition: A transponder system automatically detects whether a rear-facing child seat is installed, in which case it deactivates the front passenger airbag. standard

COMAND APS: The system integrates radio, DVD player, TV unit, navigation system and telephone operation. optional

Crash boxes: Energy-absorbing elements in the front end can be inexpensively replaced after a minor collision. standard

DISTRONIC: Intelligent cruise control keeps the E-Class at the right distance and eases the driver's workload. optional

Dynamic multicontour seat: The backrest contours automatically adapt to the driving situation. optional

Easy Entry: When getting out, the steering wheel automatically moves upwards and the seat moves to the rear to allow the driver more freedom of movement. optional

E-mail: E-mails appear on the Audio 50 APS and COMAND APS display if a telephone is installed. optional

ESP®: This dynamic safety system reduces the risk of skidding. standard

Four-link front suspension: A new design improves wheel location, comfort, directional stability and steering precision. standard

Four-zone THERMOTRONIC: This newly developed system enables the temperature and airflow to be individually controlled for each of the four seats. optional

Headlamp Assist: A sensor on the windscreen detects when darkness falls and automatically switches the vehicle lights on. standard

Heated steering wheel: Heating wires warm the rim of the steering wheel. optional

Heater booster: An electric heater booster ensures a comfortable temperature. standard in the CDI models

HP bulbs: New "High Performance" bulbs last the entire life of the vehicle. standard

Infra-red reflection: The windows reflect the infra-red component in sunlight, thereby improving climatic comfort. optional

Integral child seats: The child booster seats emerge from the rear seat unit at the touch of a button. optional

KEYLESS-GO: The doors and boot lid may be opened without the use of a key. optional

Key-operated memory function: The seat and mirror positions as well as the settings for four-zone THERMOTRONIC are stored in the microchip of the electronic ignition key. optional

Lightweight construction: The bonnet, front wings, boot lid, front-end/rear-end modules and parcel shelf are of aluminium. standard

LINGUATRONIC: The radio, CD player, telephone and now also the navigation system can be voice-controlled. optional with Audio 50 APS or COMAND APS

Multifunction steering wheel: The radio, telephone, navigation system and other units can be operated from the steering wheel. standard

Panoramic sliding sunroof: The glass roof extends from the windscreen to the rear end. optional

Rain sensor: The windscreen wiper is now variably controlled according to rain intensity. standard

Sensotronic Brake Control: This electrohydraulic system improves safety when braking in an emergency. standard

Short Message Service: SMS messages are shown on the display of the Audio 50 APS unit and COMAND system if a telephone/mobile phone is connected. optional

Sidebags: Air cushions along the sides reduce the risk of injury during a lateral impact. standard for driver's and front passenger seats

Sound system: A new multi-channel system provides surround-sound on every seat. optional with Audio 50 APS or COMAND APS

TELEAID: An SOS message is automatically sent and relayed to a service centre in the event of an accident. optional in conjunction with fixed telephone installation

TELEDIAGNOSIS: Important data for breakdown assistance are relayed to the Mercedes-Benz Customer Assistance Center at the touch of a button. optional
(TELEAID is a technical requirement)

THERMATIC automatic climate control: The system operates with a humidity sensor and infinitely variable compressor. standard

Tunnel closing: Pressing the air recirculation button closes all open windows and the sliding sunroof when entering a tunnel or underground car park. standard

Tyre pressure monitoring: The air pressure of the tyres is automatically monitored. optional

Underbody panelling: Large plastic panels replace the previous, environmentally questionable PVC anti-corrosion protection. standard

Upfront sensors:
Crash sensors in the front end enable the restraint systems to be activated as the situation requires.
standard

Weight classification: A measuring membrane in the seat registers the weight of the front passenger and uses these data to activate the airbag according to the relevant crash situation. standard

Windowbags: The large air cushion extends from the A-pillar to the C-pillar like a curtain during a crash, reducing the risk of head injuries. standard
Old 01-15-2002 | 10:51 PM
Retired Post Whore

That is a nice car! Good job with the E class!
Old 01-15-2002 | 10:52 PM
Pro

the roof is a little too much for me however it is definitely raw as fuck definite panty dropper
Old 01-15-2002 | 10:53 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

About time!

I was actually getting sick of the older ones. Looks elegant and sporty at the same time. I would like to see the AMG model tho....
Old 01-15-2002 | 10:54 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

In a single word: Beauty!

Why people buy the S if the E is so good?!

How much the E55 AMG? or whatever it's replacement would be?

Gota have one someday
Old 01-15-2002 | 10:55 PM
Banned

I like everything but the sliding moonroof and the large center gauge. Hope the Sport package will be more than just rims and body kit too. Good job Merc...
Old 01-15-2002 | 11:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Yeah, the Panoramic roof is a bit crazy, its optional.

The E320 will base around $42k
The E500 will base around $51,600
The 04 AMG Eclass should be around $70k.
Old 01-15-2002 | 11:13 PM
The Creator

FUCKING HOT!!!

I love the roof.

Kinda giddy to see the new CLK now.
Old 01-15-2002 | 11:15 PM
mister D

I love the dash.. it looks smooth... the back lights also resemble ours
Old 01-15-2002 | 11:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

I like it!
Old 01-16-2002 | 12:07 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

I like it...my dad drove a benzo my whole life...I'm partial to them
Old 01-16-2002 | 12:13 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Beltfed

The E500
Finally...no more E430!!!
Old 01-16-2002 | 12:17 AM
fellow MASShole

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk

Why people buy the S if the E is so good?!

cause the S class is straight pimpin... no messin around

MaCe
Old 01-16-2002 | 01:37 AM
Racer

Is it just me or does that interior look like our beautiful bowling ball trim? Anyone have any ideas when these babies will be out on the lots? I heard that they may release the E and CLK models early this year.
Old 01-16-2002 | 02:32 AM
Race Director

thats toooo pimp.

i love it.

i want it black on black...ohhh damn

I fucking hated the old E class a month after it came out..
Old 01-16-2002 | 02:34 AM
Senior Moderator

OMFG!!! I love it!!!! That interior is the nicest i have seen lately!!!
Old 01-16-2002 | 07:37 AM
www.drippinwet.com

Originally posted by CL-S-Bo
Is it just me or does that interior look like our beautiful bowling ball trim? Anyone have any ideas when these babies will be out on the lots? I heard that they may release the E and CLK models early this year.
late spring
Old 01-16-2002 | 08:09 AM
Senior Moderator

OK, not to bite off of Soopa's terminalogy, but damn.... that thing is TITS!!

wow, so freakin' hot. I'll have to keep my eye on that down the road.... I'm also curious about the new CLK.... I could be in trouble here!!
Old 01-16-2002 | 09:01 AM
Racer

dayum that car is fucking sweet. although i hate that panaromic or whatever roof - glad that's optional. i really dislike the current e-class and i'm glad to see how much they've improved it. i would buy one in a hearbeat if i had the $$$. very, very nice. is that a manual tranny i see?
Old 01-16-2002 | 09:04 AM
FvCK KNvCKLE

I love the interior treatment.

Nice lines, love the front lighting hookup.
Old 01-16-2002 | 09:30 AM
Suzuka Master

was previously thinking about trading in the cl-s for a sc430 in 1 year, 1 month, but i may hold off for this as well as whatever will be out in a year or 2.
Old 01-16-2002 | 09:49 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Did you notice the aggressive UHP summer tires? wow!
Old 01-16-2002 | 10:12 AM
Certified Lurker

I like alot

It looks like they went with bowling ball trim also, which i like, but the roof is a little insane....but its an option, so not a big deal.

I WANT AMG
Old 01-16-2002 | 10:48 AM
The Creator

Just looked at interior shot quickly again.

Looks like a new VW inside heh.

Blue lights, semi soft germanish buttons. cute.

VW D1 all the way
Old 01-16-2002 | 11:01 AM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

The interior

I think that is real marble. I read somewhere that they were going to start using it because they found a light weight way to put it in cars.

I love the roof. It would be a wonderful change from the current porthole that we have. I think it would only look good for the black ones though.

What's up with the damn red triangle though. Thats one thing I have never understood about Mercedes. It's like that red triangle is the centerpoint of all of their interiors. Albeit it is a darker color now, it still sits right smack dab in the middle of everything. Are hazard lights that damn important to M.B. owners?
Old 01-16-2002 | 11:53 AM
Moderator Alumnus

The dark wood trim with the white gauges comes on the Avantgarde model (wood looks like its out of an XJR, I like it very much) .
Old 01-16-2002 | 12:00 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Sweet...my mom is thinking about buying one!
Old 01-16-2002 | 12:19 PM
Who Needs a Type-S?

"Easy Entry: When getting out, the steering wheel automatically moves upwards and the seat moves to the rear to allow the driver more freedom of movement. optional "

Hmmm...this was STANDARD on my 1990 Infiniti Q45....it also had blue-tinted side mirrors long before the TL...

Other than that...What a dope ride..love the gauges..can't wait to see what Lorinser, Brabus, RENNTech and CEC have for it..
Old 01-16-2002 | 01:05 PM
Banned

I think its aight. Sumin about resembling the C coupe thing is makin me think it looks low rent. Finally they put a manual in it. I am sure i'll warm up to it when it comes out.
Old 01-16-2002 | 01:08 PM
I have the need for speed

I LIKE!
Old 01-16-2002 | 01:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Red Nj-s
I think its aight. Sumin about resembling the C coupe thing is makin me think it looks low rent. Finally they put a manual in it. I am sure i'll warm up to it when it comes out.
It doesn't come close to resembling this fugly pumpkin....

Old 01-16-2002 | 02:23 PM
K L E A N

MB!

It looks like bigger C Class.. The current e-class looks bigger... All the option and things are cool I hope the didn't make it smaller Cause it looks that way to me..
Old 01-16-2002 | 05:46 PM
Intermediate

I like it alot... very sharp!
Old 01-16-2002 | 07:16 PM
I love my G sedan

The front looks similar to the current one except it's more slanted, but I don't like the end, it's the same design as the C class, I prefer the current end.

But I love the interior.
Old 01-17-2002 | 10:59 AM
Race Director

Nicey nice. MB did a great job on the new e-class. I always hated the rear of the current e class. Finally looks deserving of its 40k+ sticker price.

Is there an option for a nav unit?? I doesn't look like it would be possible.
Old 01-18-2002 | 10:37 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Just thought I would add a small teaser pic of the AMG kit.....awesome.