2003 CAI from COMPTECH INFO!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 03:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CAI from COMPTECH INFO!!!!

I wrote to Comptech 5/7/2002 and received this response to the question about the 2003 Acura CL Type-S 6-speed Cold Air Induction system..

Dear CompTech Rep.
I was wondering if you have a CAI application for the 2003 Acura Type-S 6 speed yet?..... or if you know of any other applications that will work properly without frabricating it.

Smitty

The boxes are in production and are due to ship by the end of this month, hopefully. We don't have pricing yet, but you can check back in a week for another update. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2002, 03:09 PM
Nex
Intermediate

Wouldn't that just be the Icebox?
Old 05-07-2002, 03:15 PM
Suzuka Master

No.. it will be a COLD AIR INDUCTION SYTEM.. such as INJEN and AEM... but it is suppose to be a 1 piece system with a cone K&N filter on the end of the intake... It dips down to right behind the fog light housing and sucks the cold air from the ground and not the hot air from the engine compartment... if your familiar with the ICE-MAN COLD AIR INTAKES you will knwo what i am talking about
Old 05-07-2002, 03:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Sounds exactly like the AEM and Injen setup... why not get one of those. I believe that Shawn S installed his intake from his '01 CL-S with very minor adjustments. Probably cheaper too as Comptech tends to be pricey......
Old 05-07-2002, 03:46 PM
Suzuka Master

True, it does sound like set-up by Injen or AEM, you will need to fabricate it tiofit... I know it is no big problem to do this and it may be slightly cheaper but we will soon find out the price and see. BTW Shawn S. has a Xphenly or something CAI on his car and they no longer produce that CAI...he fabricated his to fit properly.
Old 05-07-2002, 03:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by Smitty
True, it does sound like set-up by Injen or AEM, you will need to fabricate it tiofit... I know it is no big problem to do this and it may be slightly cheaper but we will soon find out the price and see. BTW Shawn S. has a Xphenly or something CAI on his car and they no longer produce that CAI...he fabricated his to fit properly.
Yeah, I just read one of his posts to check his sig. and saw the Xypher Intake... forgot about that!! LOL
Old 05-07-2002, 04:00 PM
Drifting

I think it is just the ICE BOX from CT...I dont think they are producing a CAI too. I know they just came out with the IB. You might want to check that out again.
Old 05-07-2002, 04:06 PM
Drifting

http://www.comptechusa.com/cgi-bin/f...ouncements.cgi look here...its the Ice Box they are talking about ill bet. I am waiting to see what the dyno #'s are on that.
Old 05-07-2002, 04:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Okay I think your right ... it seems to be the icebox... Someone please tell me what is the difference between an ICEbox and CAI are?... does the air still end up getting drawn from the fender well on an ICEbox?... I specifically asked the Comptech guy about the CAI... do you think there is some kind of misunderstanding here? I cut and pasted exactly what he wrote back.. and he does say the boxes are in production and due to ship by the end of the month.... I am freaking looking like an ass here... I thought I actually had something good to post to the board...lol... Oh well flarf it.... Explain fellows, am I right about the difference between an CAI and Icebox?
Old 05-07-2002, 04:35 PM
Banned

Okay I think your right ... it seems to be the icebox... Someone please tell me what is the difference between an ICEbox and CAI are?... does the air still end up getting drawn from the fender well on an ICEbox?... I specifically asked the Comptech guy about the CAI... do you think there is some kind of misunderstanding here? I cut and pasted exactly what he wrote back.. and he does say the boxes are in production and due to ship by the end of the month.... I am freaking looking like an ass here... I thought I actually had something good to post to the board...lol... Oh well flarf it.... Explain fellows, am I right about the difference between an CAI and Icebox?
The CAI is a piece of 3" aluminum piping that extends from the TB to the bottom of the wheelwell where the resonator for the stock airbox is located. It useds a cone filter.
The ICEBOX is an ABS plastic intake box...with a pipe extending into the wheelwell with a horn at the end. It uses a comptech drop in filter. The increased diameter is probably 3" as well...plastic is less heat conductive then aluminum....and the unit is designed to look almost exactly like the stock airbox....
The concept is the same. The gains should be similar....although the ICEBOX might be able to realize more gains.....and it is not likely to be affected by hydrolock.
Old 05-07-2002, 04:35 PM
Drifting

From what I know....Its like a short ram (takes the air from under the hood) but with a box around the filter...then from the box it has a tube that goes down behind the driving light area...so its the same concept of the CAI but it doesnt have the possibility to hydrolock your engin (very bad). It should be louder than the stock air box but not as loud as the AEM CAI. I will cost more than the CAI and they havent posted dynos yet. So I think if it has the same HP as the CAI (8-10) and you have some extra money and want no chance of hydrolocking the engin the IB might be the better one. They also have a bypass valve for the AEM CAI but there is thoughts that it decreases HP improvment (lets hot engin air in) and thoughts that it lest some unfiltered air in the engin because it just has an un-oiled foam filter around it.

I think I have covered everything...anyone else have any other things to add.
Old 05-07-2002, 04:36 PM
Nex
Intermediate

Icebox is basically a short ram that is enclosed in a box to prevent sucking hot air from the engine bay. There is an additional pipe that extends from the box to the front bumper where it will pickup cold air, hence a pseudo-CAI. It's suppose to perform better than the CAI and without the lost in low-end torque. I'll believe it when I see the dyno.
Old 05-07-2002, 04:37 PM
Drifting

Damn moo you beat me to it
Old 05-07-2002, 04:37 PM
Nex
Intermediate

Holy crap, three posts at exactly the same time.
Old 05-07-2002, 04:40 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Nex
Holy crap, three posts at exactly the same time.

At least they have the same info...now you know we are not BS'ing
Old 05-07-2002, 04:40 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ugh. Well i might have to look into this ice box.
Old 05-07-2002, 04:42 PM
Drifting

I will get it if the Dyno looks good and its not TOO much more than my AEM was.
Old 05-07-2002, 04:48 PM
Banned

Originally posted by NOLACLS
I will get it if the Dyno looks good and its not TOO much more than my AEM was.
Why waste your money??? Since you're gonna get the SC.....just wait...it's included in the package....
Old 05-07-2002, 04:56 PM
Suzuka Master

thanx guys.... I knew the guy from Comptech did not understand my question.. hence I became super freaking confused when i did a double take on the email reply.... Hopefully the ICEBOX is the way to go.... do you think that it will be the same set as the one that comes with the SUPERCHARGER KIT? due this summer.
Old 05-07-2002, 05:05 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

do you think that it will be the same set as the one that comes with the SUPERCHARGER KIT? due this summer.

Yes.
Old 05-07-2002, 05:41 PM
Nex
Intermediate

Originally posted by Zapata

Yes.
The ones that come with the SC will be slightly different than the ones that you can buy separately. I don't remember where I read this, but probably from the comptech forums itself.
Old 05-07-2002, 07:59 PM
*Hella* isn't a word.

It's the ICEBOX ppl.... read it and weep.. Comptech is already lazy enough with products for the CL.. u THINK they'd develope the icebox AND a CAI??? It's one and the same :P

Old 05-07-2002, 08:26 PM
Nex
Intermediate

Where'd you get those pix??? Does that mean they're out already?
Old 05-08-2002, 02:44 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Nex
No, not for the CL-S yet. Supposedly it will be out sometime in June
Old 05-08-2002, 08:39 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by moomaster_99
Why waste your money??? Since you're gonna get the SC.....just wait...it's included in the package....
:pfawk: :shakehd: Riiight
Old 05-08-2002, 11:51 AM
Old timer

Re: 2003 CAI from COMPTECH INFO!!!!

The boxes are in production and are due to ship by the end of this month, hopefully. We don't have pricing yet, but you can check back in a week for another update. Thanks.

For the low-low price of 399.99
Old 05-08-2002, 02:51 PM
*Hella* isn't a word.

Originally posted by Nex
That is a pic I personally took at the IAS show in Long Beach last month. It's not out, but it's coming.
Old 05-08-2002, 03:01 PM
*Hella* isn't a word.

Re: Re: 2003 CAI from COMPTECH INFO!!!!

Originally posted by JRock

For the low-low price of 399.99
You're one of those ppl, that no matter what price something comes out at, you are always going to have a problem with it. This thing WILL NOT cost 399 dollars as u so sarcatically put it. The comptech Icebox for the S2000 isn't even all that much and it's got a carbon lid and for 350...

If you don't want to buy it, no one gives a shit how cheap you are. There are ppl like me who actually WORK for our money and will spend what we have to to get what we want. Go ahead and bitch about the price of headers, the intake and anything else that Comptech sells; bottom line is they are gonna be sold at that price and whether you like it or not. Comptech appears to be the ONLY legitimate company that is developing products for our car, but you just love to bash them.

You're obviously too blind to see that Comptech is positioning itself to market to people who have deeper pockets than yourself (or maybe your parents) and could care less if you bought it or not. They know that there are people out there that will buy their products at 3000 dollars and those same people are the ones that will buy it at 6000 dollars. Those are the people they want to sell to, not the nickel-and-dime folk.
Old 05-08-2002, 03:05 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: 2003 CAI from COMPTECH INFO!!!!

Originally posted by HellaWhat

You're one of those ppl, that no matter what price something comes out at, you are always going to have a problem with it. This thing WILL NOT cost 399 dollars as u so sarcatically put it. The comptech Icebox for the S2000 isn't even all that much and it's got a carbon lid and for 350...

If you don't want to buy it, no one gives a shit how cheap you are. There are ppl like me who actually WORK for our money and will spend what we have to to get what we want. Go ahead and bitch about the price of headers, the intake and anything else that Comptech sells; bottom line is they are gonna be sold at that price and whether you like it or not. Comptech appears to be the ONLY legitimate company that is developing products for our car, but you just love to bash them.

You're obviously too blind to see that Comptech is positioning itself to market to people who have deeper pockets than yourself (or maybe your parents) and could care less if you bought it or not. They know that there are people out there that will buy their products at 3000 dollars and those same people are the ones that will buy it at 6000 dollars. Those are the people they want to sell to, not the nickel-and-dime folk.
Old 05-08-2002, 03:18 PM
Subie Dubie

I mean, we are talking JRock here He's probably drinking a $4 Smoothie or Frapuccino as he bashes Comptech.
Old 05-08-2002, 03:23 PM
Old timer

You're one of those ppl, that no matter what price something comes out at, you are always going to have a problem with it.
No I'm not, actually. I was simply making fun of Comptech because their shit is always pricey. You're taking my comment way too seriously by replying with what you did. I wasn't serious with my price, I was making light of their prices in general. Obviously it won't cost $400. Even with the "" smiley the comedy goes right over Captain Serious's head.
Old 05-08-2002, 03:26 PM
*Hella* isn't a word.

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2003 CAI from COMPTECH INFO!!!!

No I'm not, actually. I was simply making fun of Comptech because their shit is always pricey. You're taking my comment way too seriously by replying with what you did. I wasn't serious with my price, I was making light of their prices in general. Obviously it won't cost $400. Even with the "" smiley the comedy goes right over Captain Serious's head.
Now who's taking who too seriously?
Old 05-08-2002, 03:34 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Red Rider

I mean, we are talking JRock here He's probably drinking a $4 Smoothie or Frapuccino as he bashes Comptech.
Old 05-13-2002, 06:54 PM
But I just got here

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
Anyone heard anything new on the Comptech cold air box?
Old 05-13-2002, 07:44 PM
Instructor

expect retail price to be 289 that is how much the final price for the accord application is.
Old 05-13-2002, 08:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

acctually the ice box for the typeR teg is 369$
100 for short ram and 269 for the ice box it self...not sure if theyll use the same set up for us...,but , dont be surprised
Old 05-13-2002, 09:42 PM
Instructor

i guess nobody reads my posts
Old 05-13-2002, 09:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by frank828
i guess nobody reads my posts
no i read your post but im not so sure that wont be the price minus the short ram
Old 05-13-2002, 10:00 PM
Instructor

the Accord V6 icebox intake system comes with the whole shabang.

that picture that was posted earlier is what is being sold, not just an intake and box. that will be 289 retail according to Comptech.
If i am correct about the CL-S we have very similar intakes and i see no reason why yours would be much different than ours.
Old 05-14-2002, 01:53 AM
Banned

HellaWhat:
Whoa man chill out we're all friends here . JRock was only commenting on how prohibitively expensive CT is...which they can be because they have the sanctioned mod market cornered with Acura, and have a cult following otherwise. That' still doesn't mean no one should complain that the headers retail for $1200 when they should retail for about $850...or the springs retail for close to $280 I believe when they should for $200...I'm sitting here sweating wanting the headers myself but it's too costly. I don't see where JRock meant any harm to you or anyone else .

Austin519

Quick Reply: 2003 CAI from COMPTECH INFO!!!!