2001 Acura CL - Bad Trans - What's it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 12:28 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Acura CL - Bad Trans - What's it worth?

My wife bought a 2001 Acura CL in 07. The transmission just went on it, and Acura has not been very helpful in getting it fixed and we've had other poor experiences with this car having other faulty items on it since we got it and I am ready to cut ties with it.

Does anyone know what it might be worth with the trans issue?

159k miles
Its fully loaded (the 6 disc CD doesn't work - one of the things that stopped working immediately when we bought it)
Black Leather in great shape
Silver Paint no major dents.
Regular maintenance done

I know I'm in the Acura forum, and my Acura experience has not been great, so please don't FLAME me for not loving the Acura. The car was alot of fun to drive when it ran, and my wife still loves it and would hate to see it go, but I think at this point we are over it.

On the flip side, if anyone has any experience getting Acura to be more involved in getting the trans replaced, I would love to hear about it. I would (slightly hesitantly) keep the car if Acura would assist more on the repair, mainly to save on a newer car payment.... and my view of Acura might just be improved a bit.

Any input is appreciated!
Thanks
Old 05-17-2012, 12:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
it's a 11 year old car. I doubt you can get the dealership to replace anything. Get the tranny replaced, rebuilt, or sell the car.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:38 PM
3rd Gear

@ Myron - thanks for posting.
I am primarily looking at selling it, which is why I asked "what's it worth", I think footing the bill for the repair is not fiscally smart, since the car is only worth slightly more, if that.

The ACURA dealer HAS offered some money "off" the dealership repair, but even with their contribution it is still more expensive than what my local mechanic will charge (w/o discount) to do it w 3yr /75k warranty. ACURA corp has basically said, "tough".

The age has nothing to do with it in my mind, especially considering that we regularly service our cars, but I do understand your point.
The CL has known transmission issues.
When we bought the car ACURA stated that this car had been addressed regarding the trans recall/issues.
I have over 200k miles on 3 other cars I've owned with no major engine or trans failure. I know these things break eventually, but the engine and trans are the CORE of the car.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,432 Posts
In all honesty, most of the honda 5 speed auto's from around that time period are going to do the same thing. This is when honda decided to make their own transmissions and add extra gears and tinker around vs their true and tried methods. The end result was a BUNCH of transmission failures that became commonplace with Honda and Acura.

As far as valuing your car, I'd probably ballpark it at around 2K in non-running condition. I'd talk to your mechanic about seeing how much a transmission rebuild would be and the maintenance you would look at in the future if you were to keep the car.

However factor that into a "monthly payment" figure and then think about maybe getting a different car. Suppose you get a new transmission in the car at a cost of 5K, pay that off in 2 years your looking at 208 dollars a month with 0% interest. Add onto that the cost of tires and any other work and your opening up a large can of worms.

At that point, you might as well trade in the car and get something more fuel efficient and newer for around the same price range monthly. Just my
The following users liked this post:
gatrhumpy (05-17-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 01:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
^ This man speaks the truth!

I'm also going to move this to the CL section where you'll get more CL related answers.

Welcome to AZ
Old 05-17-2012, 02:15 PM
6th Gear

2K sounds about right for the CL non running.

I just dealt with this a couple of months ago. IMO replacing the transmission with a newer HONDA model is the best bet. I replaced with with a used trans with 60K on it for $722 shipped. The labor is between 8 and 10 hours. Try searching "oddy tranny swap" in the fourm...this should give you a little insight into how many people are finding this a real soultion to ACURA trans going out.

Hope you keep your CL on the road.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:36 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
i am about to take out my radio and i barely ever play cds so it works perfectly... if ur interested i'll let it go for a good price..

where do u live OP..
Old 05-17-2012, 03:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
If your looking to get rid of it, see how much it would be to just put in another transmission from a junked 2G TL/CL. Then you can say it runs and get a few grand more for it. It will be easier to sell too.

Sorry your CL wasn't very nice to you. My CL has a few issues too but I love it.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:53 AM
3rd Gear

@BigHaus - Thanks for 2k guidepost, I put it on CL for $2,250 and have gotten several emails and an offer for $1,800 already.

@CL-S - Thanks for the offer on the CD player, but I'm not handy with that stuff, and we don't want to spend more money on it, at this point. If we decide to keep it then maybe, you can email me info: (troyce1) at gmail d.ot com

@Aznboi - I thought about that. I think my mechanic quoted me $2,500 for one off a junk car, $3,200 for a 3yr / 75k mi warranty new or factory rebuilt. But, if I can get 2k for it as-is the blue book value I'm pulling is only showing $3,500-$4k as the private party resale.... so it wouldnt make sense to me?? Unless Im missing something
Old 05-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if in ok shape about 2k .. if in great shape prob around 3k. id fix it if you can do it for under a grand and sell it for around 45
Old 05-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
Hmm if those numbers are right then it will be less of a headache to get rid of it now. You can fix it and drive it a little and probably still get the same for it. But I haven't seen 2G CLs around here go for 4k unless they were really high mileage.