03 LSD possible in a 01~02?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2002 | 06:51 PM
Suzuka Master

03 LSD possible in a 01~02?

Will the LSD from the new 03 work with 01~02 cl-s?

Shawn or anyone w/ a 6 speed can you shed us some light and give a review of the LSD and how its worken.
Old 04-14-2002 | 06:55 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

I wouldn't think so. VSA and the HLSD would probably conflict. I could be wrong, but that rarely happens :P
Old 04-14-2002 | 07:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by TypeSAddict
I wouldn't think so. VSA and the HLSD would probably conflict. I could be wrong, but that rarely happens :P
thats what the disable button is for...as reported before...doug says the trannys are failing because of an undersized bearing in the DIFFERENTIAL...its sheding meterial, which clogs the selenoids ,causing the clutch pacs to fail...a temporary fix has been, a bearing that has been hardened better...however they(american honda) intend to go to a larger bearing...something that will take atleast a minor design change to our transmissions, therefore we cant just put the larger bearing in ours...that's what i gathered anyway...so the long answer is...if they havent gone to the larger bearing in the 6 MT, than yes, it should fit fine, and doug thinks some of us will enjoy this upgrade....if they have gone to the larger, i took it ,that it would not be possible, or more probable cost effective...me personally, i dream of the 3.5 upgrade ,with RES,MMII,raised fuel cut, a higher stall torque convertor 3700, and HLSD.along with light weight wheels and low 13's
Old 04-14-2002 | 07:58 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Well Doug certainly knows better than I, but I was thinking that the VSA hardware (computers and such) would be in the way of the LSD. I just kind of assumed that that was the reason Honda took VSA off. Simply turning off VSA would not make room for the LSD if the hardware was in the way. But that was more or less a guess. :o
Old 04-14-2002 | 08:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by TypeSAddict
Well Doug certainly knows better than I, but I was thinking that the VSA hardware (computers and such) would be in the way of the LSD. I just kind of assumed that that was the reason Honda took VSA off. Simply turning off VSA would not make room for the LSD if the hardware was in the way. But that was more or less a guess. :o
oh yea ,np the VSA is more or less computer soft ware with sensors several positions on the car only one part i can think of that is machanically different is in front of the throttle body...whereas the HLSD is a mechanicle peice taking the place of the open differential ,directly in the transmission... goto quaife.com for some good examples of what LSD's look like...
the reason you're probablly thinking what you are,is, they took off VSA on the 6MT because of possible conflicts,with the software seeing the mechanical effect the lsd as a wheel slip and try to counter act...like in a hard corner the lsd sends power physically to the outside wheel...the vsa sees an out of control issue and applies break to that same wheel...no good...
Old 04-14-2002 | 10:23 PM
Powered By HONDA

no.they are two different systems..so i do not think they are inter changable...too many wire and computer stuff...
Old 04-14-2002 | 10:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Type S
no.they are two different systems..so i do not think they are inter changable...too many wire and computer stuff...
im not sure what you're saying...but the HLSD is not a system...its like a gear in the tranny that helps traction goto quaife.com...
Old 04-15-2002 | 01:18 AM
4dr & I like it that way

quaife.com doesnt seem to exist
Old 04-15-2002 | 07:53 AM
Senior Moderator

http://www.quaifeusa.com/
Old 04-15-2002 | 11:02 AM
Advanced

Isnt rick case r&d trying to install hlsd on an 01?
Old 04-15-2002 | 09:22 PM
Pro

Originally posted by typeR
thats what the disable button is for...as reported before...doug says the trannys are failing because of an undersized bearing in the DIFFERENTIAL...its sheding meterial, which clogs the selenoids ,causing the clutch pacs to fail...a temporary fix has been, a bearing that has been hardened better...however they(american honda) intend to go to a larger bearing...something that will take atleast a minor design change to our transmissions, therefore we cant just put the larger bearing in ours...that's what i gathered anyway...so the long answer is...if they havent gone to the larger bearing in the 6 MT, than yes, it should fit fine, and doug thinks some of us will enjoy this upgrade....if they have gone to the larger, i took it ,that it would not be possible, or more probable cost effective...me personally, i dream of the 3.5 upgrade ,with RES,MMII,raised fuel cut, a higher stall torque convertor 3700, and HLSD.along with light weight wheels and low 13's

Who's Doug ??
Old 04-15-2002 | 10:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by typeR
http://www.quaifeusa.com/

forget the differential. THEY MAKE CLOSE RATIO GEARS!!!
Old 04-15-2002 | 10:57 PM
Instructor

I'm gonna take a crack at this and guess Doug is the same guy i talked to for Rick Case as the service manager and head of "upgrades: dept. If it is the same guy someone back me up, but i was talking to him about mods, very cool guy.

By the way I saw Rick Case's TL type SX which is one of thier souped up versions they reved for me very cool !!
Old 04-15-2002 | 11:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Porsche had issues with their "similar" stability system when it was combined with ”mechanical” (non-external control) LSD -- the car acted "funny". They left the VSA equivalent OFF the car.

The 6-speed LSD is NOT electronically controlled. There are LSD equivalents that are electronically controlled and can be used in conjunction with a VSA (stability assist system that clamp the brakes of a spinning wheel).

If someone popped in Quaife LSD in the current car and left the VSA/TCS (traction control system) on, the two systems would "fight" each other when a wheel slipped. (See the link at the bottom for info on the Quaife LSD.)

Let's say the right wheel starts slipping:

1. The VSA/traction control applies the brake to the right wheel, with the intention of getting the "normal"/”open” diff to apply power to the OTHER (left) wheel/tire.

2. The limited slip (Quaife LSD) dumps MORE power into the right wheel (It thinks that the right wheel is now the wheel that has the best traction/grip and it dumps more power to that right wheel (but its only heating-up the brake disks and pads). (Hey, the tire could be on Teflon…)

There are now TWO control systems -- one system (the limited slip diff) has a "natural"/"inherent" design that directs power to the wheel with more "grip" and the VSA/TCS is using the brakes and various sensors (yaw, wheel, etc) to detect wheel slip.

The two systems are not "integrated" and can cause some rather funny behavior...

http://www.quaifeusa.com/differentials/diffs.htm

BTW, the issue with the larger carrier bearing… It would probably require Acura to make a new transaxle case (two halfs) to accept the larger race of a bigger diff. carrier bearing.