01 Acura CL Questions / Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2001, 12:00 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 Acura CL Questions / Issues

All,

This is my first post on Acura-CL.com. I've been lurking for the past couple of weeks trying to learn as much as possible about my new '01 Silver Acura 3.2 CL Type S.

I upgraded to the CL from a '98 Maxima GLE. Driving the Maxima just wasn't as fun as putting the CL through its paces. A number of folks have indicated that handling mods are required for the CL. Let me tell you, compared to the Maxima the stock CL handles like a Formula One car. I keep waiting for excessive body roll and sway to throw me off the highway, but I have yet to experience either in the CL. Love the power on the CL. She puts out whenever I need her to...

I've experienced a number of the same issues, all of which have been corrected using the fixes posted in previous messages on this board.

Issues Resolved to Date:

Brake Light Rattle - Used rubber suction cup mounts left over from radar detector kit in between window and brake light plastic cover.

Passenger Seat Squeak - In my case, this was actually just the "leather" and vinyl rubbing together due to the angle at which the seatback was positioned. Adjusting seat back position to a more reclined setting eliminated the squeaking sounds.

Passenger Side Fuse Door Rattle - Saw the message about applying foam tape somewhere in the message logs. Ended up having to tape the entire thing before I finally silenced the "airbag" rattle.

License Plate Vibration - Borrowed some unusued rubberized feet from an old radar detector kit and applied at six positions on the back of the plate. Vibration quelled.

Unresolved issues:

Lately, I've noticed that the transmission does not shift very smoothly for the first 10 - 15 minutes of driving time if the car has not been driven for several hours. I want to write this off as typical warm-up issue, possibly associated with the drop in temperature we've seen since last weekend, but since I've only had this car for a week I'm a little concerned. Anyone else notice this type of performance from the transmission?

Thanks....

QuickSilver
'01 Acura 3.2 CL Type S (No Mods)

"If it moves, we can kill it."

Old 02-11-2001, 01:14 PM
ACME sucks!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by QuickSilver:
All,

This is my first post on Acura-CL.com. I've been lurking for the past couple of weeks trying to learn as much as possible about my new '01 Silver Acura 3.2 CL Type S.
</font>
Cool, someone from my hometown.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi

35% tint/Wheel locks/Splash guards/PIAA 19169 bulbs/K&N 33-2178 air filter/Mobil-1 5W-30 oil & filter/One scratched rim

[This message has been edited by MikeN (edited 02-11-2001).]
Old 02-11-2001, 01:19 PM
ACME sucks!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by QuickSilver:
Unresolved issues:

Lately, I've noticed that the transmission does not shift very smoothly for the first 10 - 15 minutes of driving time if the car has not been driven for several hours. I want to write this off as typical warm-up issue, possibly associated with the drop in temperature we've seen since last weekend, but since I've only had this car for a week I'm a little concerned. Anyone else notice this type of performance from the transmission?
</font>
I have this problem too. I think it is the cold weather because I can't remember it shifting that bad last summer. I plan to have the tranny fluid changed at 7500 miles.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi

35% tint/Wheel locks/Splash guards/PIAA 19169 bulbs/K&N 33-2178 air filter/Mobil-1 5W-30 oil & filter/One scratched rim
Old 02-11-2001, 04:48 PM
Cruisin'

Hi,

Well I've only had my CL-S for a couple of weeks now, but I have noticed that the trans seems to shift a bit quicker after I've used it a bit. In other words; even after I've been driving for a while with the trans in "D", after I go into sportshift mode the shifts seem to get quicker after I've made a few. I thought it was just my imagination but it does sound similar to what you're experiencing. I don't consider it a problem; just a matter of the trans "warming up".

I haven't experienced any of the other issues you described, but I have do have another problem that I wonder if anyone else has experienced: When the sunshade for the sunroof is open it rattles. Drive over any mildly bumpy surface & it rattles pretty much all the time. NP on smooth roads, and it's fine when closed. I'm taking it into the dealer next week to see if they can fix it (although I'm not sure how they can without removing the headliner & or sunroof, which I don't think they'll be too anxious to do).

Anyone else have this problem? Were you able to get it fixed?

Thnx in advance,

------------------
2001 Sundance Gold Type S
Old 02-11-2001, 04:59 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sundance Kid:
Hi,

Well I've only had my CL-S for a couple of weeks now, but I have noticed that the trans seems to shift a bit quicker after I've used it a bit. In other words; even after I've been driving for a while with the trans in "D", after I go into sportshift mode the shifts seem to get quicker after I've made a few. I thought it was just my imagination but it does sound similar to what you're experiencing. I don't consider it a problem; just a matter of the trans "warming up".

I haven't experienced any of the other issues you described, but I have do have another problem that I wonder if anyone else has experienced: When the sunshade for the sunroof is open it rattles. Drive over any mildly bumpy surface & it rattles pretty much all the time. NP on smooth roads, and it's fine when closed. I'm taking it into the dealer next week to see if they can fix it (although I'm not sure how they can without removing the headliner & or sunroof, which I don't think they'll be too anxious to do).

Anyone else have this problem? Were you able to get it fixed?

Thnx in advance,

</font>
I guess there is a free service for this rattle... I took mine back to the dealer and they installed a kind of rubber isolator to stop it.

------------------
Bare Bone Stock Type-S. Plenty of accessories. PIAA 19169 to be installed soon.
Old 02-11-2001, 05:29 PM
Adult Supervision

I haven't noticed a difference with the car's trans when it is cold. I think that I might not be as picky as some of you and simply might not be noticing it so I am not sure this helps.

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 19169 & 9005, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, no headers, no sway bars, no springs, no money!
Old 02-11-2001, 06:21 PM
Cruisin'

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk:
[B] I guess there is a free service for this rattle... I took mine back to the dealer and they installed a kind of rubber isolator to stop it.

Thnx Nashua, hopefully my dealer knows of this (although when I booked the appointment the service manager said he hadn't heard of the problem before). I'll mention your post to them if they can't stop the rattle.

Thnx again,

SK

------------------
2001 Sundance Gold Type S
Old 02-13-2001, 02:42 AM
Back to Four Doors

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MikeN:
Cool, someone from my hometown.
</font>
I can say the same about your current town. I was born and raised in Fort Worth .

------------------
Rex -
'01 CL Type S - Satin Silver, Navi, BBS RK
Lic: THX CBOE
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...770&p=36712116
Old 02-13-2001, 10:16 AM
ACME sucks!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lead_sled_dog:
I can say the same about your current town. I was born and raised in Fort Worth .
</font>
Then for you to go to CA from here is like moving to a foregin country! Have you gotten used to the increased cost of living yet? I have been offered two jobs in San Jose and turned them down. No way could I live in CA, I'd never have any $$$.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi

[This message has been edited by MikeN (edited 02-13-2001).]
Old 02-13-2001, 10:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Al tranys need to warm up to operating temp....

------------------
01 Silver 3.2CLS
Old 02-13-2001, 11:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Welcome to the board and did you say its cold in Texas?? Its like 30 degrees one day and 50 degrees the next around here in VA. How many miles do you have on your car? I think my car shifts better afer having 9000+ miles on it. also the problem w/ the sun roof I think it can be eliminated if you get a sun roof visor or just go to the dealer and tell them and they should fix it. I remember when technique was in VA he had that problem and got it fixed. I just don't remember how.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
AEM CAI once they decide to make the dame thing.
235/40/17's or 225/45/17's once I found out which one works for me.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 02-14-2001, 03:11 AM
Back to Four Doors

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MikeN:
Then for you to go to CA from here is like moving to a foregin country! Have you gotten used to the increased cost of living yet? I have been offered two jobs in San Jose and turned them down. No way could I live in CA, I'd never have any $$$.

</font>
We moved here 25 years ago ... at that time the $$ exchange rate was $4 Texas to $1 CA. I think it's up to $7.25 to $1 . It is different here but my entire family is still in FWTX (Parents, brothers, in-laws, the whole nine yards worth). Even bought a second home (for the mother-in-law) in Arlington Heights.

------------------
Rex -
'01 CL Type S - Satin Silver, Navi, BBS RK
Lic: THX CBOE
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...770&p=36712116
Old 02-14-2001, 03:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Sunroof rattle, there are 2 kinds:

1) If you have an early CL (like the first 4-6 months of production) they have to install foam pieces, this is for the "whooshing" sound when driving between 20-40mph with the sunroof open and is caused by resonation of the wind deflector.

I think you are referring to:

2) Rattle when the sunroof is closed but the moonshade is open. Easy, just take it in and there is a service bulletin on it. They just lube the sunroof with silicon and the rattle is gone.

Let me know what they say...

------------------
Silver CL-S w/ Navi, Spoiler, Wheel Locks, Trunk Tray, 19169, 9005
Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1-S Proxes on Stock 17" CL-S wheels
Old 02-14-2001, 12:15 PM
ACME sucks!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lead_sled_dog:
We moved here 25 years ago ... at that time the $$ exchange rate was $4 Texas to $1 CA. I think it's up to $7.25 to $1 . It is different here but my entire family is still in FWTX (Parents, brothers, in-laws, the whole nine yards worth). Even bought a second home (for the mother-in-law) in Arlington Heights.

</font>
Yeh, me too. My Dad went to Arlington Heights HS and grew up in Rivercrest/River Oaks. I like it up here much more than the Houston suburbs I grew up in!

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi

Old 02-17-2001, 10:29 PM
Advanced

NOVA,

Have seen wild variation in temperature in Cypress. Temperature has varied from 20 degrees to greater than 70 degrees over the past two weeks. Have noticed that the airbag rattle, which I have not yet succesfully corrected, is temperature dependent in my coupe.

My CL-S has approximately 800 miles on it, about 1/2 highway and 1/2 city.

The transmission shift pattern is definitely rougher than I remember from the initial set of test drives. I've done a standard check of all fluids. Everything looks fine. Have noticed a downright Saturn-like shifting sound from the automatic going from 2nd to 3rd which is really getting on my nerves.

I'm planning on having the whole thing checked at 3750.

QuickSilver

"If it moves we can kill it."

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS:
Welcome to the board and did you say its cold in Texas?? Its like 30 degrees one day and 50 degrees the next around here in VA. How many miles do you have on your car? I think my car shifts better afer having 9000+ miles on it. also the problem w/ the sun roof I think it can be eliminated if you get a sun roof visor or just go to the dealer and tell them and they should fix it. I remember when technique was in VA he had that problem and got it fixed. I just don't remember how.

</font>