***please Read*** Possible New Body Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004 | 03:08 PM
Former Sponsor

what materials? polyeurethane, or fibre glass? those kits look nice.
Old 06-24-2004 | 04:05 PM
My Work is Done Here

Originally Posted by chris3240929
You should probably read a little more before posting. They HAD the deposit taken care of, which was refunded. Soopa or someone had the funds in hand. There were several threads about this, so it was easy to miss.

Regardless, the Versus kit was discovered and was 10X cheaper for a urethane kit, much better than fiberglass and ALREADY made. Alot easier to get people to pony-up $$$ when they can SEE the finished product...bit different than possibly throwing your money away on a one-off. Not unlike the Sarona spoiler that they said would be an exact SEMA replica...fine joke that turned out to be. There's even a current thread about that you can read also.

And, FWIW, there will always be talkers on these sites saying they are down to pay & don't. That's the nature of these boards. BUT...I personally sold 15 Versus kits on 2 Acura sites inside of 8 months, and there was a group-buy for the other 10 kits with other members here participating. Just have to have the right price & the right product for broad participation.

I am well aware of this. My point was that there was a company trying to produce the SEMA kit, but the project got killed, largely due to the fact that ACL.com'ers we're afraid to invest the necessary funds in the company.

I am most certainly aware of the reasons for people not wanting to put in the money up front. And my post by no means was meant to say that those reasons were unfounded. I think everyone had a good reason if they didn't put in the money, even after asking for a SEMA kit. However, I would have put up the money myself, even though it was going to be made of fiberglass (mostly because it was going to be at least 3 times as thick as normal fiberglass kits).

I definitely was not taking the road that some others have taken.... Saying that ACL.com'ers are all talk, or that they are whine all the time about not having an aftermarket kit for the CL, or blasting you for having a good reason for not throwing enough money into the pot. I think everyone made their choice when Onderground came along. And whether or not I would have made the same choice is irrelevant, because I'm spending my money, and you're spending your money. And you may choose to do whatever you want with your money. And personally, I don't se anything wrong with that.

Just my

P.S. don't think that I don't read the posts right just because I'm a newb.
Old 06-24-2004 | 06:49 PM
COME AT ME BRO!

VIS RACING AND JT AUTO STYLE are the only 2 that i know make kits for the 01-03 cl. i just got mine from vis . it took 3 months to get here they are only made in very limited productions. the side skrits i got with it are not on the web site i have no idea what kind the are but the are sick. i would post pics but dont know how. i can email them to some one who can host them for me.
Old 06-24-2004 | 06:54 PM
Senior Moderator

check your PM
Old 06-24-2004 | 07:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by evilone
VIS RACING AND JT AUTO STYLE are the only 2 that i know make kits for the 01-03 cl. i just got mine from vis . it took 3 months to get here they are only made in very limited productions. the side skrits i got with it are not on the web site i have no idea what kind the are but the are sick. i would post pics but dont know how. i can email them to some one who can host them for me.
i can host them, rondyvous1@aol.com
Old 06-24-2004 | 07:41 PM
Senior Moderator

i have them, just need to resize.
Old 06-24-2004 | 07:44 PM
Banned

Doesn't the SEMA kit look alot like the Mugen TSX kit? check out kingmotorsports.com and click on TSX! they can use that kit for a similar mold and create the finishing touches to make it fit the CL.

Brandon
Old 06-24-2004 | 07:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 06-24-2004 | 08:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mattg

I'm sorry, maybe it will look better when its painted, but I don't think that kind of kit should be on a luxury car.
Old 06-24-2004 | 08:12 PM
Homeless

Originally Posted by ccannizz11
I am most certainly aware of the reasons for people not wanting to put in the money up front. And my post by no means was meant to say that those reasons were unfounded. I think everyone had a good reason if they didn't put in the money, even after asking for a SEMA kit.

I definitely was not taking the road that some others have taken.... Saying that ACL.com'ers are all talk, or that they are whine all the time about not having an aftermarket kit for the CL, or blasting you for having a good reason for not throwing enough money into the pot.

P.S. don't think that I don't read the posts right just because I'm a newb.
Since you're such a studious reader, try re-reading your own post AGAIN. Seems you do more contradicting in your own posts than I could do for you. If you feel like we're such turds, spend your money like you say you want to & get the kit started yourself.

Like I already said, there were a lot of threads on this & alot of PM's which were NOT posted. And if you knew a thing or two, you might question why onderground would CHARGE someone to be able to sell kits...that is 100% nonsense & that's what a lot of the underlying sentiment was...It's not like fiberglass is a costly commodity. Just read Ross's post in this thread...is he asking for money to make a kit to sell to US? No.

Onderground has their head up their ass if they want their collective demographic to fund their investment.

Because back in Dec 2002, Onderground-designs tried to make it. They asked for a $100 investment from 10 people on this forum. And even with all the bitchin about wanting the SEMA kit for the CL, they only got about 5 people to put up $100.

Too bad I wasn't around back then, because I would of put up the other $500 to cover the rest of the investment needed.

EDIT: Any more discussion on this matter needs to be in PM, this thread has been hijacked enough.
Old 06-24-2004 | 08:40 PM
"hey...wanna f^&k"

looks close enough
Old 06-24-2004 | 08:41 PM
Homeless

Originally Posted by RR32CLS

looks close enough
That is pretty smooooth. Damn.
Old 06-24-2004 | 08:55 PM
Senior Moderator

looks sema-ish.

not bad at all.
Old 06-24-2004 | 09:29 PM
My Work is Done Here

Since you're such a studious reader, try re-reading your own post AGAIN. Seems you do more contradicting in your own posts than I could do for you. If you feel like we're such turds, spend your money like you say you want to & get the kit started yourself.

Like I already said, there were a lot of threads on this & alot of PM's which were NOT posted. And if you knew a thing or two, you might question why onderground would CHARGE someone to be able to sell kits...that is 100% nonsense & that's what a lot of the underlying sentiment was...It's not like fiberglass is a costly commodity. Just read Ross's post in this thread...is he asking for money to make a kit to sell to US? No.

Onderground has their head up their ass if they want their collective demographic to fund their investment.

[/b]

EDIT: Any more discussion on this matter needs to be in PM, this thread has been hijacked enough.

OK, obviously you weren't listening. I don't know why you're taking this so personally, I wasn't arguing with you. It not like I called you an idiot for not going with the Onderground project. I think it was highly suspect for Onderground to ask for investment up front, maybe thats how they do things in Canada I don't think it was the best way to do business. I would have done it, but that doesn't make it right. You would not have done it, and that doesn't make it wrong.

And would it make you feel better if I didn't say, "bitchin about the SEMA kit" in my first post? Maybe if I had said "asking for a SEMA kit", would that have been better? Either way, you missed the point, which was made even more clear for you in my second post. If you read it, then I don't know why your giving reasons for not going with the onderground project again, because I said they were good reasons to begin with.

I certainly hope someone else will come along who is willing to produce the SEMA kit. Hell, if I was in the business of designing/selling kits, I'd be all over it.

Oh yeah, and..... again! I'm a :thief:
Old 06-24-2004 | 09:29 PM
Former Sponsor

those are some small ass tires on the stock wsheels, and the kit would look better with the versus side skirts and the part right above the license plate filled in. has potential tho.
Old 06-24-2004 | 10:02 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm a :thief:
you're a brown smilie that steals TV's?
Old 06-24-2004 | 10:18 PM
My Work is Done Here

Originally Posted by mattg
you're a brown smilie that steals TV's?
Ya, I'm sorta shady like that. Like the dog with the shifty eyes!
Old 06-25-2004 | 01:20 AM
hail to the victors

SEMA kit is the best looking bodykit in the planet! it makes our CL looks 100 times better.
Old 06-25-2004 | 01:21 AM
hail to the victors

Originally Posted by RR32CLS

looks close enough

looks good, but don't like the side skirt
Old 06-25-2004 | 09:16 AM
My Work is Done Here

Originally Posted by chungkopi
SEMA kit is the best looking bodykit in the planet! it makes our CL looks 100 times better.

Old 06-25-2004 | 10:21 AM
Team Owner

That TSX kit isn't bad. I don't like the openings on the sides of the front bumper though. The front end is nice though. The front end of the CL is DRASTICALLY different than the TSX. Look at how the bumper extends all the way along the front upper grille. Ours does not do that. Also the bumper is much more square along its edges than the CL. The headlights are much smaller and the bumper flows way up on the side to compesate for this. That would be ALOT of work.
Old 06-25-2004 | 10:42 AM
Revving at 9K...

That TSX kit looks hot. If I remember correctly, the SEMA kit also had the little cut outs on this sides of the front bumper.
Old 06-25-2004 | 10:50 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CLS2001_97124
If I remember correctly, the SEMA kit also had the little cut outs on this sides of the front bumper.
Yes it did. It had like a double shark gil type cut out. If a reproduction was to be made I think it would be better with out the cut out. Maybe just a indentation where the cut outs were made but not a hole.
Old 06-25-2004 | 11:24 AM
Aegean Inferno

I agree with Rondog this kit has potential its smooth and clean enough to fit our luxury class cars. The Versus side skirts would fit better with this kit as well, and for the rear I say keep the Versus look with out the cut out openings. The front kit cut outs I say should resemble that of the the Sema kit or reduce the cut outs to be slightly smaller. RR32CLS if you can get your friends to look into this I think you'll have a winner!!!!!!!!!!! What do you guys think?
Old 06-25-2004 | 12:37 PM
COME AT ME BRO!

Originally Posted by mclarenf3387

I'm sorry, maybe it will look better when its painted, but I don't think that kind of kit should be on a luxury car.
yea i have the paint and everything just waiting for the clear hardner. should have it today and get it painted buy tonight. i hope.
Old 06-25-2004 | 12:58 PM
FWD tuna boat

Originally Posted by darrinb
we need somethin more subtle for our cars
like everyone says, the SEMA kit is perfect. i think it's the nicest kit i've seen so far. everyting about it is gorgeous...especially the rear end and tail.

i did see the thread recently about the group buy on a SEMA replica. :ultraghey:
i just think everyone is skeptical about spending $1000+ and not knowing the final product (will it be identical...how's the quality?) well, that's what first came to mind when i saw the thread.

i believe there are few other kits avail for the CL. wish i had $2K to buy a kit and repaint...
Old 06-25-2004 | 02:35 PM
Homeless

Originally Posted by andre
i believe there are few other kits avail for the CL. wish i had $2K to buy a kit and repaint...
Let's be clear. A SEMA "kit" is not really a kit at all. The SEMA car was HEAVILY modified...those are not just bolt on pieces. There was a fair amount of shaping done to massage those kit pieces to the sheet metal.

To really have a "kit" like the SEMA CL, just the plastics alone would probably be more along the lines of $2K, then add another $2>$3K in body work/labor.

Ross has a nice kit here, forget about the SEMA kit unless you own a body shop & have ultra-deep pockets.
Old 06-25-2004 | 03:26 PM
COME AT ME BRO!

i just saw in a modafied mag they have a polyurathan kit for the cl. there was a pic of it 2 it looks almost like a stock bumber with a crazy lip. this seem to be most people on this threads taste. ( not tring to piss anyone off) as for me i like my kit i like the agressive look and the body lines of the cl. the pic of the blue cl with yellow kit is my car. mattg was kinda enugh to host them for me. by the way thanx matt. so if your interested in that slightly stock look check out andys auto sport. their the ones that make it,
Old 06-25-2004 | 03:26 PM
FWD tuna boat

Let's be clear. A SEMA "kit" is not really a kit at all. The SEMA car was HEAVILY modified...those are not just bolt on pieces. There was a fair amount of shaping done to massage those kit pieces to the sheet metal.

To really have a "kit" like the SEMA CL, just the plastics alone would probably be more along the lines of $2K, then add another $2>$3K in body work/labor.

Ross has a nice kit here, forget about the SEMA kit unless you own a body shop & have ultra-deep pockets.
if it's not a kit, what else can you call it? a replica kit???

in the recent thread for a group buy on a "SEMA replica kit", i believe it was about $1000 for everything. wouldnt that be a: replacement front/rear bumper and side skirts with door moldings and tail? what body mods would be needed? $2-$3K in body work? ouch!
Old 06-25-2004 | 03:42 PM
Homeless

in the recent thread for a group buy on a "SEMA replica kit", i believe it was about $1000 for everything. wouldnt that be a: replacement front/rear bumper and side skirts with door moldings and tail? what body mods would be needed? $2-$3K in body work? ouch!
That project was a 'proposed' kit with results sight-unseen. So how they were going to pull off the SEMA look without bodywork was never addressed.

The SEMA CL has no seams which means the kit was blended with the body panels. The front clip & rear bumper *may have been of a one-piece design. But the sides would have had to be Bondo'd with a piece for the side skirt/dog leg/seperate piece for the door.

So, being conservative, $3K just for body work and paint. Hell, a regular quality paint job where they remove glass, moulding, etc with no bodywork will cost atleast $2K.

There are a few guys here that have had just custom paint done(Katana). He can probably attest to the cost for just the paint involved.

A kit like what Ross is considering is much more feasible on the wallet.
Old 06-25-2004 | 03:52 PM
My Work is Done Here

The 1K price tag was for a fiberglass SEMA kit, which is much cheaper than the "plastics" that chris is probably talking about. One of the main problems with that kit was that it was going to be made out of fiberglass, and not the tougher urethayne material.

As for it being an official "kit" or not, I'm not sure what went into the actual SEMA kit we all saw at the show, but the company that was offering to make a replica out of fiberglass was going to make it so that it would simply replace our stock front/rear bumpers. However, as we all know, replicas are never the same as authentic, no matter what you are referring to. So there very well could have been a lot of body work needed to make that SEMA kit look the way it did

And I'm still a :thief:
Old 06-25-2004 | 04:01 PM
Homeless

The 1K price tag was for a fiberglass SEMA kit, which is much cheaper than the "plastics" that chris is probably talking about. One of the main problems with that kit was that it was going to be made out of fiberglass, and not the tougher urethayne material.

As for it being an official "kit" or not, I'm not sure what went into the actual SEMA kit we all saw at the show, but the company that was offering to make a replica out of fiberglass was going to make it so that it would simply replace our stock front/rear bumpers. However, as we all know, replicas are never the same as authentic, no matter what you are referring to. So there very well could have been a lot of body work needed to make that SEMA kit look the way it did
Plastics = fiberglass. But, I wasn't necessarily focusing on the material, I was refering to the way it attached to the body.

A kit would be most noticably a piece of material attached(tape, pop-rivets, screws, etc). It would have seams & not require smoothing to the metal.

The car in question has had the pieces attached, sanded, bondo'd, filled, primered & painted so there is no seperation. Big difference between a kit & custome body panels, etc.

Now, to
Old 06-28-2004 | 10:08 AM
Aegean Inferno

Well I think now that we cleared all that up was there any news from those guys at Henshinauto? Did we get any where with that?
Old 06-28-2004 | 01:48 PM
Homeless

Originally Posted by Drgnchild
Well I think now that we cleared all that up was there any news from those guys at Henshinauto? Did we get any where with that?

TTT for Ross.