"Clear" amber turn signal bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2001, 06:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Clear" amber turn signal bulbs

Greetings everyone,

My first post... Just picked up the new Polarg G-34’s, which are “clear” amber bulbs that function in our turn signals. When off, they're not really clear but are definitely less amber than the stock bulbs. When on at night, they look exactly as stock (same wattage-27/8). Got mine from www.nextcollection.com for $20 a bulb(!). www.autodynamic.com also has them for the same price.

I posted a few pics of the installed bulbs at:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...4683&f=0&vt=vp

I also included a comparison to the Osram Diadem amber bulb which is much more clear than the Polarg. It's only a single filament bulb so it won't work for our turn signals. I included it to compare coatings only. Osram supposedly will be making more variations of the "clear" bulbs in the distant future but the Polargs are all we have for turn signals now.

I plan to clear my headlights (once I work up the courage) and this bulb will allow the car to remain legal with an amber turn signal yet still clean up the appearance. I just hope Osram speeds up their development on a dual filament Diadem since it looks even better.
Old 04-04-2001, 06:37 AM
Kill the Chicken heads

Hey Tinman, good to see ya on here. I go to U of A and also would love to clear my head lights. You let me know when u wana do it, and I'll drive up so we can do it together(if u know what your doing, b/c i dont) Do u have IM, give me if u do.

------------------
Nick
01' Cl-S Silver/ Black W/ Navi and Spoiler
V-1 Radar Hard Wired, Limo Tint all around
Comptech Headers, Sways, and AEM CAI
I've got one of the CLS's from the fast batch.
Lead Foot!
Old 04-04-2001, 12:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Sounds good. I don’t have any experience at clearing them but it doesn't seem too complicated. I'm picturing the bumper removal (with all the fasteners) might be the hardest part. I'd want to experiment on my car first before I helped with yours. I don’t use IM but do check e-mail regularly.

Too bad about the Cats. They still had a great season though. Just wish they could've won it, especially for Lute.
Old 04-04-2001, 12:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Hey why did u use the polargs instead of the dinanen , But deff looks great.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
me.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 04-04-2001, 12:37 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS:
Hey why did u use the polargs instead of the dinanen , But deff looks great.

</font>
Sorry didn't read the rest of yo post. hehe

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
me.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 04-10-2001, 02:57 AM
Advanced

Tinman or anyone else,

What bulbs are you going to use for the socket below this one (in the section that is originally covered by the amber reflector)? I'm not sure if it would be better to try and match the HID/M6 color or the amber from this G34, and I figure it'd be a good idea to have all the bulbs on hand before taking the assembly out.

Thanks, and good luck.

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S, Comptech Springs, M-6 and other superwhite bulbs here and there
Old 04-10-2001, 02:58 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by e harmon:
Tinman or anyone else,

What bulbs are you going to use for the socket below this one (in the section that is originally covered by the amber reflector)? I'm not sure if it would be better to try and match the HID/M6 color or the amber from this G34, and I figure it'd be a good idea to have all the bulbs on hand before taking the assembly out.

Thanks, and good luck.

</font>
I am trying to find out if anyone is using the M6s. They look perfect but I am affraid they are going to burn the housing. See my other post...

http://www.acura-cl.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/003739.html

Old 04-10-2001, 03:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally I was just going to leave the stock clear bulbs in the lower corner markers but now I'll probably use the PIAA's since that's what I recently put in the road lamps. (Being in AZ, I was concerned about the upcoming summer heat and the M6s.) If the bluish/amberish combo looks odd in daylight, I'll just put a regular amber wedge bulb in there to match up better. In the mean time, I'll keep an eye out for a "clear" amber version of that wedge bulb (none are available yet though).
Old 04-10-2001, 03:50 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tinman:
Originally I was just going to leave the stock clear bulbs in the lower corner markers but now I'll probably use the PIAA's since that's what I recently put in the road lamps. (Being in AZ, I was concerned about the upcoming summer heat and the M6s.) If the bluish/amberish combo looks odd in daylight, I'll just put a regular amber wedge bulb in there to match up better. In the mean time, I'll keep an eye out for a "clear" amber version of that wedge bulb (none are available yet though).</font>
I am using the PIAAs now but they just look to dull.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Comptech Springs
Comptech Exhaust
Denso Spark Plugs
Apexi V-AFC
AEM CAI
Old 04-10-2001, 04:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Really? That's surprising since I thought they're the same wattage. Maybe the amber color makes the stock bulbs stand out more. Oh well, somebody's got to find out if the M6s work. It may turn out to be an expensive experiment if it does melt the housing though. Why can't somebody make something in between the 5w and 18w bulbs? Something like a 10w or 11w bulb?