Yokohama S.Drive Tires for my TSX

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 08:40 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yokohama S.Drive Tires for my TSX

Fellow A-Ziners! I just upgraded my tires, after waiting till I needed a new set. I wanted a new set that would not handle like H-rated ones (i.e., not very well) but that didn't jar my pancreas every time I hit a speed bump at higher than 5 mph.

After a bit of research (mostly on TireRack.com, thanks to AZ folks' experience), I wanted the Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires. However, I couldn't easily locate them at a tire shop in my area (4th largest city and most populous county in the USA, and I can't get the tires I want in less than a week.)

I needed the tires sooner. After revisiting TireRack, I saw that the Sumitomo tires were really making the grade. However, I have had crappy, bubble-prone tires before (Goodyear Eagles—whaaat? ), so I was hesitant to go with a brand I'd not really heard of. That's not a judgment against the tires. I was concerned for longevity, and TR's test results were not long-term.

So I picked the Yokohama S.Drives for the TSX. So far, so good. I really like them. I can actually tell that their dry grip is slightly (10–15%) less than the Michelin Pilot OEMs, but the wet traction seems to be significantly better, as does the road noise. Then again, these are brand-new tires that I'm mentally comparing to worn-out ones. Time will tell, but thus far, I'm happy with my choice.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:00 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
I have Yokohama Avid V-4s tires on my 06 tsx. Hate them. Lose traction on wet pavement and noisy. I miss the OEM Michelin tires (had excellent luck with them) Have put about 35,000 miles on the Yoko's
Old 08-04-2010, 07:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the S.drives in stock size. I would put the dry traction well above the stock Michilens, but the wet traction is so-so. I won't push my S.drives in the rain at all in corners. They do great on the highway in heavy down pour, but not a good cornering tire for the wet, which isn't something I tend to do anyway. For the money, GREAT VALUE and still fairly quiet. I have a set of X-Ice for the snow in the wintertime, so I'm on my second summer. These shouldn't be compared to the AVID line.

Also, a common issue with Yokohamas is balancing, so you want a guy that knows how to correctly mount the tires (i.e. colored dot goes by the valve stem). This guy shouldn't be afraid how to rotate the tire on the wheel slightly or move to another wheel or flip it on the rim if a balance is tough to get.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by moda_way
I have the S.drives in stock size. I would put the dry traction well above the stock Michilens, but the wet traction is so-so. I won't push my S.drives in the rain at all in corners. They do great on the highway in heavy down pour, but not a good cornering tire for the wet, which isn't something I tend to do anyway. For the money, GREAT VALUE and still fairly quiet. I have a set of X-Ice for the snow in the wintertime, so I'm on my second summer. These shouldn't be compared to the AVID line.

Also, a common issue with Yokohamas is balancing, so you want a guy that knows how to correctly mount the tires (i.e. colored dot goes by the valve stem). This guy shouldn't be afraid how to rotate the tire on the wheel slightly or move to another wheel or flip it on the rim if a balance is tough to get.

I have these as well in stock size and they need replacing now. I got about 30,000 miles on them. They are great in dry weather! Mine are worn and are very rough and noisy now. I agree with the balancing issue.

I would say they are good for the money( what you can get them for now). I paid about $700 for a set of 4 and that is back when they first came out. I was impressed by them but now they are worn I don't like them. They are noisy.

Conclusion: they are great when new to half life. The are crap when they are worn. I had better "worn" performance from Falken 512s and the Falken cost much less then.

My next tires, I was thinking of the Federal SS-595s. Cheap and I heard decent reviews on them.

Anthony
Old 08-06-2010, 05:59 PM
'06 NBP TL

I would say the S-drives has much better grip over the stock michelins... they handle pretty well on wet surface too... OEM michelin were like the worst tires ever to me. They were extremely quiet and comfy, but the grip was horrible, i had so many close calls in the rain and emergency braking
Old 08-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i work for a town fair tire.. i always recomend the proxes 4 or yoko envingor over the sdrive.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:02 AM
Instructor

Update: The Yokohamas are shit. Total shit. They've worn out faster than a clutch on a student driver's car. It's ridiculous. So, I'm looking at other options. My '04 TSX came with Michelin Pilots. By the time I needed new tires, Michelin had switched to the Primacys (or all the local tire shops had switched to them and Pilots were no longer available). So I got those and was unimpressed. Then I bought the Yokohamas two years ago. Now my Yokohamas are bald. I didn't even get 18k miles out of them. Ain't that ridiculous?

Anyway, I'm looking at Goodyear Eagles, which I've had on two other cars. I think they handle great. I'm reading Tire Rack reviews and tests now.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
good choice man i have s drives and love them