View Poll Results: What Tires do you currently have on your TSX?
Yokohama Avid V4S
8.37%
Bridgestone Turanza LS-V
1.97%
Kumho ECSTA ASX
5.42%
Falken 451
2.96%
Avon Tech M550 A/S
2.96%
Toyo Proxes 4
5.42%
OEM Michelin Pilot HX MXM4
48.28%
other
24.63%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

What Tires do you currently have on your TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 06:33 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM tires are XL load rating....

who has stopped using XL rated tires??
Old 12-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by CrazyCool[O]
Pirelli PZero Nero M+S. All season long~
How do you like these? Any change in ride quality from the stockers?
Old 12-11-2006, 01:11 PM
Intermediate

Dunlop Direzza DZ101, stock size. Not recommended by me for performance driving due to lack of grip and excessive squealing in turns. Same performance rating as my former tire, Toyo T1-S also in stock size, but a world of difference in actual use. They were inexpensive, though, and Tire Rack's service is first rate. I'd go with another brand of MP/EP/UHP rated tire through TR or the Toyo T1-R, successor to the T1-S.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:54 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tmetcalf
I did a search to see if there was a poll noting what tires people currently have on their TSX but could not find anything. I don't want to know which you prefer or your opinions, but just what you have on your vehicle. I also know that not all tires are listed but these are the more popular choices and a short list of tires I'm considering.
Well, I dont have a TSX, but since I have had 3 of those listed on my 2003 CL Type-S, I think the Toyo Proxes 4 are the best for the money. I just got them and they seem to be excellent tires.

If your OEMs are loud and starting to squeal around every turn, it is time for new tires!
Old 12-11-2006, 08:16 PM
Advanced

whats the deal with the XL load rating??
Old 12-11-2006, 09:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by cor6bro
Other - Bridgestone RE960 Pole Position (but I'm considering switching back to Yokohama AVID V4S)
How do you like these? I had the Turanza LS-Vs on my 04 TSX and the difference from the OEM Michelins was night and day. I don't know anything about the RE960's, but TireRack rates them higher than the Truanza's.

I just got a new 06 TSX, and I really don't like the stock tires.I'll probably buy within the next month or so. I'm leaning towards the Turanza's again, as they're tried and true, but I'm open to better suggestions. My main preferences are Ride and Noise Comfort.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:53 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nittos
Old 12-12-2006, 06:31 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Other - Bridgestone RE960 Pole Position (but I'm considering switching back to Yokohama AVID V4S)
Could you elaborate a little, since I'm leaning toward the new RE960, largely because I want a good wet weather tire.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:59 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gdcwatt
Could you elaborate a little, since I'm leaning toward the new RE960, largely because I want a good wet weather tire.
Well…to start

I was looking for an all-season replacement for my worn out Avid V4s. Saw the surveys and ratings on Tire Rack and figured I’d give the RE960s a shot.

Initial Impressions:

- They look great
- The tires ride like butter. Meaning they have a compliant ride with a nice substantial feel.
- Initial turn-in response is good. I wouldn’t describe it as crisp, but responsive enough.
- Grip seems good; unfortunately, I haven’t been able to determine just how good…yet. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to explore the tires’ full potential. Straight-line grip seems on par if not better than the Yokohama Avid V4s that I had. However, lateral grip and handling is the question mark. Not saying that the grip and handling isn’t there, it just doesn’t feel entirely comfortable going there. I suspect these tires have more sidewall compliance than the Yokohama Avid V4s, and possibly even the stock Michelins (however, the stock Michelins never seemed to have a lot of traction going on in the first place, thus giving the impression of stiffer sidewalls). I have to experiment further w/ an empty lot and a quiet stretch of road.
- I haven’t driven these things in the rain or snow, so I can’t comment about those capabilities.

More Subjective Impressions:

IMHO the Bridgestone RE960 seems more like performance-touring hybrid than an ultra-high performance all-season. While the tire compound is grippy enough, the sidewalls seem to have a lot of give (and take). Up to 6 or 7 tenths they work well, but at 8 tenths plus, they feel a little squirrelly. The end result is that the rear of the car doesn’t feel planted when pushing hard turns in certain situations. In addition, the rear tracks differently now and feels slightly disjointed from the front – almost as if the rear wants to suddenly unload and swing out. It’s sort of unnerving snap over-steer sensation. Not saying that the car is close to doing this, it just FEELS like it is. To compare, the Michelins had a progressive under-steer sensation near their limits, while the Yokos, felt more neutral (balanced) and linear. So with the 960s’, I’m having difficulty exploring the limits of the car because I don’t have a good feel for what they’re doing. Also, I have not tried aggressive driving with engaged VSA.

Long story short, I miss the Yokos. If you want, I can keep you posted as to how these tires are holding up.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:55 AM
Advanced

Well…to start
[snip]
Long story short, I miss the Yokos. If you want, I can keep you posted as to how these tires are holding up.
I would definitely like to hear more. As I posted above, I had Turanzas on my 04 TSX, and will now need to replace the OEMs on my new 06 TSX. I'm more interested in comfort and noise factors than pushing the performance envelope.

Thanks
Old 12-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Cruisin'

Other: Kumho SPT
Old 12-13-2006, 11:55 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by tirebiter
I would definitely like to hear more. As I posted above, I had Turanzas on my 04 TSX, and will now need to replace the OEMs on my new 06 TSX. I'm more interested in comfort and noise factors than pushing the performance envelope.

Thanks
Based on what you’ve just stated, you may really enjoy the RE960. They ride very well and are definitely an improvement over the stock Michelin and slightly better than the Avid V4s in that respect. - Still can’t comment about performance in the rain and snow. Hopefully we’ll get some winter precipitation over here soon. Unfortunately, I don’t have any direct experience with the Turanza, so I’m unable to offer a good comparison – but hopefully that helps. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with for your purchase.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:03 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
what do you guys recommend as a good replacement for the OEM up here in Boston?

I am debating switching to separate winter/summer tires...

but I would like to know what the best A/S replacements might be... the OEM's feel like i am ice skating in the snow...
Old 12-13-2006, 02:11 PM
Advanced

Based on what you’ve just stated, you may really enjoy the RE960. They ride very well and are definitely an improvement over the stock Michelin and slightly better than the Avid V4s in that respect. - Still can’t comment about performance in the rain and snow. Hopefully we’ll get some winter precipitation over here soon. Unfortunately, I don’t have any direct experience with the Turanza, so I’m unable to offer a good comparison – but hopefully that helps. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with for your purchase.
Thanks for the reply. I was very satisfied with the Turanzas both for the comfort and control in weather. they really outperformed the Michelins. The TireRack guides were very accurate to my experience.

The RE960 is 10% more expensive, but it is rated a bit higher over the Turanza in every one of TireRack's categories, especially related to snow and ice. This tire is now the front runner.

One question though. The TireRack specs say that the overall diameter of the RE960 is slightly smaller than the Turanza, but the revs per mile is less (817 vs. 837). How can that be?
Old 12-17-2006, 09:32 PM
Über Geek

Where do y'all BUY your tires?
I'm in desperate need of new tires and the selection of my size (225/45-18) at Tire Rack and Discount Tires is pretty beat.

I'm not knocking either. I got my current tires at TR but want a few more options including price. Can anybody recommend a decent online source for tires? (And soon?)
Old 12-17-2006, 09:34 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
discounttiredirect.com
Old 12-21-2006, 12:10 PM
Unauthorized User

other: Kumho Ecsta SPT 235/35/19 bought them from Tirerack.com
Old 12-21-2006, 02:22 PM
B A N N E D

Other: Yokohama AVS Es 1000
Old 12-21-2006, 06:01 PM
Pro

Other. Yokohama YK520. It hums at high speed but other than that they're great!
Old 12-21-2006, 06:05 PM
Intermediate

I currently have Kumho AST on my Gn+ wheels, the tire are ok at dry floor but not OK on wet floor.

I also have a stock wheels and tires stand by at garage, in case something happen.

224/40/18 AST
Old 12-25-2006, 06:51 AM
Polar Chicken

I have Michellen Pilots PS2's
Old 12-25-2006, 01:19 PM
Banned

oem, i'm simple
Old 12-25-2006, 02:21 PM
Racer

OEM since I just had to purchase a new set of runflats, had to put the tsx's needs on the backburner til febuary
Old 12-25-2006, 07:46 PM
STi'd

Originally Posted by captainjack
Where do y'all BUY your tires?
I'm in desperate need of new tires and the selection of my size (225/45-18) at Tire Rack and Discount Tires is pretty beat.

I'm not knocking either. I got my current tires at TR but want a few more options including price. Can anybody recommend a decent online source for tires? (And soon?)
Try costco.com. Order online and ship to your closest warehouse.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:12 AM
Über Geek

Originally Posted by gavinn58
Try costco.com. Order online and ship to your closest warehouse.
I had looked there too but they only show you tires that fit the stock OEM rims. Thanks, though.

I ended up ordering the Kumho ECSTA ASXs from TireRack. I'm lukewarm on them.
+: I saw that a few of you had them.
+: They were CHEAP. As in, half what my Bridgestone Potenzas cost.

-: They came in 11th (of 11) in a Car & Driver comparo
-: They were CHEAP. As in, why are they only half of what my Bridgestone Potenzas cost?
Old 12-28-2006, 03:47 PM
Racer

Just got these on today. Toyo Proxes TPT on stock wheels

They are quiter then stock for sure. Havent test it out in the rain yet. But they seem pretty well worth it.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PJS
Some cheap and crappy stuff on the front - still loads of tread on them!
Just installed Toyo T1-R's on the rear. Made the back end feel more connected to the rest of the vehicle, but then any new tyre might be like that.
I have heard that it is not a good idea if not hazardous to mix tread patterns on a front wheel drive car front and rear. This ai'nt a vette or mustang here. Also - snows on all 4 wheels if you live in that climate.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CSpaR
Ditto

I havent got them on my car yet, but tomorrow they arrive with my new rims. I've heard good things about this tire. TireRack rated it very well. A friend of mine also had these on his car, and said nothing but good things about them.
Agin - Acura specifies a XL load rated tire. Pirelli P zero M & s are not. weaker side wall for car weight. Ask an expert (I am not)
Old 01-03-2007, 03:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TSeXer
Yoko Avid V4's (I'm an avid fan of them)

I just had the V4s's put on. Installed by Tire rack installer NTB - had the left front re balanced in 4 days. drove 12oo miles over Christmas - had the other thre balanced again. Came back and had them done on a hunter machine with loading and the also moved them on the rim to correct the shake (not a bad shake but...) They still seem to give me a slight shake (better than before re balance). I run 35f/33r instead of 32f/30r tire pressure. tires ride nice and are better in the wet than OEm but the slight shake bugs me as the OEMs were solid at any speed and never needed to be balanced since new. I am tempted to return them since none of the balancing has entirely removed it. I will give them a bit more time. All rthe revies on torerack were great so maybe it's me???
Old 01-03-2007, 03:21 PM
Unauthorized User

Originally Posted by CJams
Nittos
How's the performance with the Nittos CJam? i almost got the 555 or the NeoGens
Old 01-03-2007, 03:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tirebiter
How do you like these? I had the Turanza LS-Vs on my 04 TSX and the difference from the OEM Michelins was night and day. I don't know anything about the RE960's, but TireRack rates them higher than the Truanza's.

I just got a new 06 TSX, and I really don't like the stock tires.I'll probably buy within the next month or so. I'm leaning towards the Turanza's again, as they're tried and true, but I'm open to better suggestions. My main preferences are Ride and Noise Comfort.
I would have considered tha Turanza V's except for their stopping distance in the wet were even slightly worse than the OEM Mic's which actually handled quite well in the dry and were solid at any speed (100 + even - American) Just had Yok Avids put on as they were XL and all but I get a bit of vibration all were re balanced after 1500 miles (twice) Like them otherwise and at less tha $150 per - compared to much more expensive OEM's - tire rack actually - $111 plus shipping, mount and balance
Old 01-03-2007, 11:34 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gtrpickr
I have heard that it is not a good idea if not hazardous to mix tread patterns on a front wheel drive car front and rear. This ai'nt a vette or mustang here. Also - snows on all 4 wheels if you live in that climate.
Well, I can only speak of how it is now - perfectly fine. Not one problem.
The front slides relatively easily, but then given they're probably 400 (if not 500) + rated, that doesn't surprise me. They're just not grippy tyres - that's why they're cheap.
I'm not overly worried at the moment since I'll be putting new 18" wheels on - so all 4 will be getting replaced anyhow.
But, will all that said and done, I think the argument is a bit of a throwback to yesteryear when tyre technology was quite different, as were cars in general.
So, if the warning exists today, then I'd presume it's vehicle and/or tyre dependant, with a bit of potluck for good measure - rather than a blanket statement applicable to everyone.