TSX vs. TL Brake kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 08:12 PM
Got Milk???

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX vs. TL Brake kit

Just out of curiosity, is the 04 TL 5AT brake kit with "single piston" front brakes better than the TSX brakes? I'm not sure if our TSX braking system is also the "single piston" version or entirely different, please advise.

KC

edit: also, are the front brake calipers on the 5AT TL same as the TSX brake caliper?
Old 05-24-2006, 08:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I think they're not that different, though probably not exactly identical. You probably won't see much difference in terms of stopping distance or pedal feel switching to the TL brake caliper. If you want better brakes, just swap pads to start, then go rotors and brake lines.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:47 PM
cmf
ATCer

Originally Posted by kaikai114
Just out of curiosity, is the 04 TL 5AT brake kit with "single piston" front brakes better than the TSX brakes? I'm not sure if our TSX braking system is also the "single piston" version or entirely different, please advise.

KC

edit: also, are the front brake calipers on the 5AT TL same as the TSX brake caliper?

TSX rotors are same as prior generation TL, CL, and MDX. New TL rotors are bigger.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:59 PM
Got Milk???

I'm planning to replace all brake parts, rotors, pads, brake lines, and caliper. RIght now I'm trying to figure out if the TL 5AT calipers are beefier than our TSX. My other option is to swap in OE Brembos from 6MT TL, but I cannot find it anywhere, do you guys have any suggestions?

KC
Old 05-24-2006, 10:08 PM
Team Owner

If you're gonna swap everything, just save yourself the trouble and go with a BBK. They'll be properly tested for the TSX and would prevent issues that might arise with just swapping parts from the TL. Plus, an aftermarket BBK might actually be cheaper than getting OEM TL parts.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:31 PM
cmf
ATCer

^^ what he said. If you're not going to do a direct OEM size swap/ upgrade, you might as well get a whole new kit.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:59 PM
Got Milk???

I see, I was thinking of the TL brembo calipers as direct swap. That will save me a few bucks and at the same time offer me an upgraded braking power. But CGTSX has a point, unless I can find used parts, new parts at the Dealership will cost around Stoptech, Rotora category. I think for now I'll just upgrade brakepads and change to Powerslot Rotors and see if stopping power increases. Thanks both of you for the advice

KC
Old 05-26-2006, 10:35 AM
cmf
ATCer

If you do pads alone you'll feel a bit of a difference, adding a new set of rotors with those pads will probably make it feel even better.
I'd recommend replacement rotors, and new pads at the same time. I personally don't think you really need upgraded calipers unless you're looking for some bling factor, or have a larger HP upgrade in your near future.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:40 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

If I'm not mistaken, the TL Brembo swap has been discussed a few times --- they won't fit. I think Moda_Way confirmed it? They won't fit our rotors... so you'd either have to swap the entire setup (don't know if that'll work either) or go for a TSX BBK.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:13 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Speaking of brakes... That is an area where the TSX feels like it could benefit with even just an incremental improvement. With the car in otherwise stock form, the size of the rotors doesn't seem to be so much of an issue... like others here, I believe a good bit of the weakness is in the stock brake pads.

Has anyone here tried Mintex pads on the TSX or European Accord? I've used them on European cars before and they feel great even when blazing hot.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:43 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cmf
If you do pads alone you'll feel a bit of a difference, adding a new set of rotors with those pads will probably make it feel even better.
I'd recommend replacement rotors, and new pads at the same time. I personally don't think you really need upgraded calipers unless you're looking for some bling factor, or have a larger HP upgrade in your near future.
Rotors won't make a difference. If you want more stopping power, you have to do brake pads and calipers. If you are doing calipers, then do SS brake lines as well.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:48 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by junktionfet
Speaking of brakes... That is an area where the TSX feels like it could benefit with even just an incremental improvement. With the car in otherwise stock form, the size of the rotors doesn't seem to be so much of an issue... like others here, I believe a good bit of the weakness is in the stock brake pads.

Has anyone here tried Mintex pads on the TSX or European Accord? I've used them on European cars before and they feel great even when blazing hot.
Hawk HPS and Axxis Ultimates seem to be the two most popular choices for TSX owners. You'll get more initial bite, but the pedal feel doesn't improve a whole lot (not that the pedal feel on the TSX really needs much improvement).

If you're looking for greatly improved stopping distances, start by swapping out the tires. The Michelins are just too much of a compromise and try to do too many things but ends up doing none of them all that well. Many people have demonstrated that the TSX brakes are more than capable of locking up the wheels even in stock form. More grip from the tires would show a marked improvement in stopping distance by providing better grip at the lock-up point.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:42 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
After I get some miles on the car (it is currently new), those brake pads you mention might be my first non-fuel related investment

I don't find the Pilot HX MXM4s particularly offensive--they just seem to do a lot of things in an equally unspectacular way. I'm sure better can be had, but I'll likely wait until the originals are ready to be discarded.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I just ordered Powerslot rotors and Hawk pads last night from Tire Rack. Can't wait to slap those babies on....I'm hoping for a lot less vibration & steering wheel shimmy that I get on the OEM stuff. Now I'm waiting for my OEM Michelins to crap out so I can justify new tires .
Old 05-29-2006, 09:46 PM
cmf
ATCer

Originally Posted by aaronng
Rotors won't make a difference. If you want more stopping power, you have to do brake pads and calipers. If you are doing calipers, then do SS brake lines as well.

I disagree. I think with my driving style the rotors helped. I am not sure I'd go with cross drilled again, but I am sure slotted would work just as good.
I did a rotor and pad upgrade at one time, so I won't swear that the rotors played a big part in a better feel and braking distance, but I am sure it helped.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:00 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cmf
I disagree. I think with my driving style the rotors helped. I am not sure I'd go with cross drilled again, but I am sure slotted would work just as good.
I did a rotor and pad upgrade at one time, so I won't swear that the rotors played a big part in a better feel and braking distance, but I am sure it helped.
Doubt the rotors contributed any bit part to the stopping distance or the brake feel. Usually brake feel is a result of the lines, pads, and calipers. Rotors are usually the biggest contributor in terms of reducing brake fade as larger surface area on the rotor allows for better distribution of heat and quicker dissipation of heat build-up.

But if you're riding your stock rotors hard enough to reach that level of use on the street, you might want to reconsider your driving style...
Old 05-30-2006, 10:28 PM
cmf
ATCer

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Doubt the rotors contributed any bit part to the stopping distance or the brake feel. Usually brake feel is a result of the lines, pads, and calipers. Rotors are usually the biggest contributor in terms of reducing brake fade as larger surface area on the rotor allows for better distribution of heat and quicker dissipation of heat build-up.

But if you're riding your stock rotors hard enough to reach that level of use on the street, you might want to reconsider your driving style...

So a reduction in brake fade could be a result from replacing rotors as well as pads. I didn't replace the lines nor the calipers and noticed a huge difference in braking.
I am a pretty aggressive driver, I won't deny that. I am sure when driving across roads with lots of bends/turns and driving at high speeds, the rotors came in handy.
If the pads alone made that much of a difference, then I will recommend everyone get a set of Endless pads for their TSX.

I guess out of lack of knowledge for performance of brake upgrades, I'll agree to disagree with you guys. .... or something like that.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:22 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I reckon the stock pads are pretty shit. That's why when you changed to the Endless ones (which model btw?), you such a big upgrade.

BTW, if anyone is tracking their TSX, change your pads, at least for just the race (remember to bed in for about 100km of city driving). The stock pads EAT the rotors when you brake hard and repeatedly. My rotors are badly grooved now.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:26 PM
cmf
ATCer

^^ Endless Vita Nuova