Tanabe Sustec PRO S-OC Type II Coilover for TSX

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 07:30 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tanabe Sustec PRO S-OC Type II Coilover for TSX

Hi,
Are there anybody here who has experience with Tanebe Sustec PRO S-OC Type-II coilovers? It's new for TSX and I think it serves comfort and performance with a reasonable balance which is good for us who drives on rough roads. Price is reasonable, is about $650-$700...

Do you know anywhere which can take orders from Europe?

Thanks

SUSTEC PRO S-0C Type II features all of the benefits of the S-0C in a lower cost, high value package. The Type II is a non-helper spring model that features a longer main coil spring.

Dispelling a popular belief that a firm or harsh ride is a sign of a performance suspension, the short stroke, shortened case dampener of the S-0C Type II is extremely unique in that it’s internal construction allows it to deliver superior handling without sacrificing strength or ride comfort.

Unique double-cylinder design allows for full suspension stroke within the shortened shock body while Low-pressure gasses ensure smooth rebound characteristics for additional ride comfort.

For all driving enthusiasts.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Bender has them on his car. He has indicated that they are very comfortable. I think their spring rates are something like 8K F and 5K R which are softer than Tein's 10K/6K for their Basics and SS or 14K/8K for their Flex.

I would definitely consider them for a street car. If you plan to autocross or take your car to the track, the Tein Flex is probably a better choice.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:37 PM
Banned

Where are you finding information on these coilovers?

Any websites that sell 'em?
Old 04-04-2005, 09:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Check out their US website:

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/index.asp
Old 04-04-2005, 09:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Here's the application list showing the TSX and the spring rates of 8K F and 4K R as compared to Tein's significantly stiffer rates of 10K/6K and 14K/8K :

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/coilovers/...tions.asp?id=8

As for where you can buy these coilovers. If you want to check them out locally, I saw some at the Super Autobacs in Stanton, CA.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:19 AM
Cruisin'

Another question...

Are all coilover with different brands adjusted from the top of the suspension?
For example Tein can be adjusted from the dial under the hood for fronts, and under the seat for rears.

Is it same for the Tanebe?
Old 04-05-2005, 06:21 PM
VIP Touring

I think that Tanabe model does not have dampening adjustment.

I'm seriously looking into buying a set of these. Do a search on the clubrsx, and there are tons of people with this system and surprisingly not a single complaint!

I got to ride in a DC5 with a set of these on and it was reaaaal nice. Felt soft and comfortable, but handled exceptionally well. I think these would be great for the street. Those other rates for the other coilovers seem wayyy too high for the street.

They say, the rougher the road, the softer the spring you need. If its too stiff, the car will just bounce around. According to their website, you can order custom spring rates.

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/coilovers/s-oc.asp
Competition Spec PRO210 Race Spring

Features the same highly tuned spring rates as our high performance S-S model. PRO210 was developed for extreme durability and balance. This spring has the highest tensile strength available due to our patented manufacturing process. For professional suspension tuners, custom rates and sizes are available.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:55 PM
Banned

I've already made my decision. I'm gonna pick up a set as soon as I have the funds. My oem shocks are about to blow soon.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:21 AM
Instructor

I'm with you on this one loxllxol. Hopefully by the end of summer, I'll be able to pick up a set of these too. Haven't really found any vendors that have them for the TSX yet though. Too new of an application maybe?
Old 04-06-2005, 01:44 AM
Cruisin'

Yes you are right johnny...
It's a new application for TSX.
I have to find a dealer which is able to send overseas.
modacar.com sells Tanabe which accepts international orders.
I e-mailed them, no reply came yet.

I will order comptech strut bar and Injen CAI/SRI (have not decided wich one yet) together with Tanabe's actually...
Old 04-06-2005, 04:40 AM
Racer

I read the description on Tanabe's site about the S-OC and S-OC Type 2, but I still don't know what the difference between the 2 are except that the S-OC is about $300 more than the S-OC Type 2. So anyone know?
Old 04-06-2005, 07:11 PM
VIP Touring

street price is always much lower then retail

I think the only difference between the two models is that the type ii does not have the helper spring, which i think is for comfort only. I doubt that tiny spring does much to hold the car up, so you probably can't tell the difference.

I would just get the less expensive Type II's and get a pretty sweet setup for

How about emailing Tanabe or just giving them a call to find out who'll ship it? I've never ordered anything from modacar before, so i dunno how reputable they are.

USA is a long way to travel if modacar messes up your order
Old 04-06-2005, 08:19 PM
Burning Brakes

When the helper springs are so light, they cannot really affect ride quality as they will completely compress when the car sits on its 4 wheels and tires. The purpose of those springs is to keep the spring in place when the suspension is fully extended. For instance, if you happen to catch some air and the 4 tires actually leave the ground. In some instances, if the spring is too short, the spring can actually dislodge from the spring seat. The helper spring prevents this from happening by always maintaining a certain amt of pre-load on the springs even when the suspension is fully extended.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:26 PM
Racer

dang it, i was 90% sure on getting the h&R coilolvers, but now i'm getting these specs for the tanabe's vs. the h&r ( f8k r4k vs. f10k r8k) and starting to doubt what to get. sounds like tanabe is a softer ride.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by goowakjai
dang it, i was 90% sure on getting the h&R coilolvers, but now i'm getting these specs for the tanabe's vs. the h&r ( f8k r4k vs. f10k r8k) and starting to doubt what to get. sounds like tanabe is a softer ride.

You can't really go wrong with either one. I'd say between Tein Basics, Tanabe Coilovers, and H&R...I'd just go with the cheapest price.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Where were you able to find the specs for the H&R coilovers?
Old 04-07-2005, 01:11 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Where were you able to find the specs for the H&R coilovers?
wasn't able to get them from the u.s. reps, but i got it from a reputable source who was able to get the specs from h&r rep in australia. maybe those coilover specs aren't for our tsx's, but i assume the u.s. specs aren't that far off from our down under counterparts.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Have you priced out the H&Rs? Aren't they in the $1200 neighborhood? If so, seems like the Tein SS or Flex would be a much better deal b/c they are both adjustable and the Flex comes w/ upper pillow-ball mts and has independent preload adjustability.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:09 AM
Cruisin'

Hopup Racing sells Tanabe Sustec S-OC Type II for $719.
Any experience with this place?
I'm thinking to order some other stuff for my Euro Accord from here....

http://www.hopupracing.com/suspension19.html
Old 04-12-2005, 09:20 AM
Drives With Hands

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
/wondering if I should go with these or Neuspeed/Konis...
Old 04-12-2005, 09:56 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by nightvoyager
Hopup Racing sells Tanabe Sustec S-OC Type II for $719.
Any experience with this place?
I'm thinking to order some other stuff for my Euro Accord from here....

http://www.hopupracing.com/suspension19.html
I bought my CAI from them way back when, nice guys. A little slow to answer e-mail but were friendly over the phone.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:36 AM
Hondaholic

wasn't able to get them from the u.s. reps, but i got it from a reputable source who was able to get the specs from h&r rep in australia. maybe those coilover specs aren't for our tsx's, but i assume the u.s. specs aren't that far off from our down under counterparts.
The US spec H&R coilover that is sold by The Tire Rack comes with a progressive spring; there are additional upgrade models available for other cars that use linear springs. As of now, there are not any upgraded models available for the TSX. (Upgraded as in adjustable damping, upeer mounts, etc.)

Because of the difficulty in rating progressive springs, even having a number doesn't always tell the true story of how the spring feels. However, I do believe that these H&Rs are designed to maintain a reasonable ride quality, and they will probably will perform that way. No one can say for sure though, because I don't believe anyone has them yet.

I decided to roll the dice on the US Spec Tein Flex with it's 14K/8K rates, based primarily on a discussion with a Tein rep, who swore to me that these coilovers are designed with ride comfort as a primary feature, and this somehow has proven to be true.

Looks like we need a guinea pig for the H&Rs .......

Looking at the numbers for the Tanabes, it certainly seems as it will be soft. My only concern would be can those rates keep the struts from bottoming out over large bumps, especially if you lower it down a lot.......the more you lower the Tanabes. the less travel you'll have.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:49 AM
Drives With Hands

Originally Posted by LannyM
Looking at the numbers for the Tanabes, it certainly seems as it will be soft. My only concern would be can those rates keep the struts from bottoming out over large bumps, especially if you lower it down a lot.......the more you lower the Tanabes. the less travel you'll have.
I'm sort of wondering this too, but a coilover being a matched shock/spring package, you'd think a reputable manufacturer such as Tanabe would limit the range of the spring perch adjustability to something inside of what would cause it to hit bottom.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:06 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All this talk about the tanabe's......has anyone ever used them?
Old 04-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
has bender made any posts about these? I looked for him, but I haven't been able to locate his screen name....is it just bender?
Old 04-12-2005, 06:32 PM
VIP Touring

I think the application is extremely new so not many people have used it yet.

The Tanabes are probably the most comfortable on the market judging from the spring rates, and i doubt they would underdampen their coilover to allow it to bottom out. That 14/8 rate seems a bit off for the TSX, those kind of rates are for a car that is very front heavy, with a massive engine. I think only Supras and GS430s run those kind of rates, but even then those are running rates like 14/10, 14/12

I found some posts by bender, and his comments were that they were very comfortable. "Bender"

From www.tanabe-usa.com

Unique double-cylinder design allows for full suspension stroke within the shortened shock body while Low-pressure gasses ensure smooth rebound characteristics for additional ride comfort.
Anyone planning on getting these very soon?
Old 04-12-2005, 06:39 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CJams
has bender made any posts about these? I looked for him, but I haven't been able to locate his screen name....is it just bender?
I think his name is bender_unit or benderunit, I forget.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:36 PM
2004 NBP/ebony AT

sweet, i think im gonna get a set of thses instead of the sportline kit, especially for 720!!
Old 04-13-2005, 06:13 PM
VIP Touring

post the pics and your review!
Old 04-17-2005, 11:29 PM
BU
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Yes, Sir... What can I help you guys there? If anyone still need answer.
My TSX still equipped with Tanabe Sustec Pro S-OC TypeII.

It give a very soft comfortable ride quality. I got Eibach ProKit before. Stiff for Me.
Tanabe Coilover is a little bit stiffer from OEM. Better handling.
I will rated - OEM > Tanabe Coilover > Eibach Prokit
It is only Height Adjustable. Great for Daily Drive, Definitely NOT for Track/Performance.

Bender
Old 04-18-2005, 01:28 AM
Drives With Hands

So you would say these coilovers are good for lowering to get aesthetic looks, but inferior for performance handling?
Old 04-18-2005, 07:43 PM
BU
Burning Brakes

Talking

Originally Posted by rmpage
So you would say these coilovers are good for lowering to get aesthetic looks, but inferior for performance handling?
Yes, it will not give you too much on Performance. But still handling better than OEM.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:28 PM
VIP Touring

They say that you can get upgraded spring rates for performance. how's the dampening?
Old 05-01-2005, 10:44 PM
Burning Brakes

That's dissapointing... I was hoping these Tanabe's would offer some good performance advantages. Maybe i'm better off grabbing some tein basics for performance?
Old 05-02-2005, 01:17 AM
Burning Brakes

I just got a quote (in Australian dollars) of 1810 for Tanabe Sustec Pro S-OC
+ a whiteline sway bar. I'm really considering getting this as it works out about 1600 Ausy dollars for the coilovers. What do u recon guys should i go for it? Or weight untill Tein Basics are available?
Old 05-02-2005, 01:22 AM
Master Graphic Artist

Originally Posted by Bender Unit

It give a very soft comfortable ride quality. I got Eibach ProKit before. Stiff for Me.
It is only Height Adjustable. Great for Daily Drive, Definitely NOT for Track/Performance.

Bender
Yeah it's either between these or Tein SS ($870 from Excelerate) I don't know how often I'll be autocrossing since I have to upgrade my tires, but softride is a definate +
Old 05-06-2005, 09:20 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Bender Unit

Bender
just curious how much better than OEM handling? Woud it be closer to the prokit or more to OEM? Do you have any pictures? How low have you lowered it?
Old 05-06-2005, 07:35 PM
BU
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DjElucid
just curious how much better than OEM handling? Woud it be closer to the prokit or more to OEM? Do you have any pictures? How low have you lowered it?
I would say more to OEM.

Oh, Man
I posted this picture like 10 X before already...
Maxium Drop with 18"... It scratched inner fender !!!

Bender
Old 05-06-2005, 08:10 PM
Got Phó?

HOw long you had your TAnabe?
Old 05-06-2005, 08:21 PM
BU
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by drunkenbuda
HOw long you had your TAnabe?
From last Aug. til Now