A-spec vs. Konis

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 01:30 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A-spec vs. Konis

I am almost at 50k and it is time for better handling. I enjoy taking corners in my TSX but, am tired of having wheel spin on corner exit from the body lean. I would like to reduce body lean in corners while maintaining a fairly smooth ride on the highway. I am not interested in lowering my car very far. I am trying to decide between the A-spec kit and Konis with stock springs. I like the idea of the A-spec kit but, the reviews on here don't seem great. I like the idea of the Konis because they are adjustable and I can install them on the lowest perch which will stiffen the stock springs. I have Konis on my Miata that I autocross and I am impressed with them. They are fairly comfortable on the softest setting and get hard enough on the hard setting. Has anyone driven cars with both set ups that can give me a comparison? Is there anyone in the Savannah, GA area with either set up?
Old 02-15-2010, 03:27 PM
heel/toe is my specialty

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the A-spec right now and it suits my needs for a DD. I will say that the inside wheels still spins endlessly due to the open diff and craptacular oem rubber.

I would guess that if you were to simply change the suspension you will still experience significant wheel spin.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont know how konis will respond on a tsx but they are very good on the integra chassis. if i lower my tsx, i would not hestitate to use KONI
Old 02-15-2010, 11:58 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Konis are good shock, I have'em on my Tsx+swifts springs. But I think if you are still on oem tires it might not help much. You might want to get a more sticker tires also.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:36 AM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
don't waste your money on aspec. they cost almost the same (like $100 difference). at least with koni you can adjust height and dampening. with aspec, what you see is what you get. if you put the koni on the softest setting, it will pretty much match the comfort of stock suspension but with better handling.

I haven't tried the setting on full firm yet but I set it halfway and it feels sporty.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Red@8
I have the A-spec right now and it suits my needs for a DD. I will say that the inside wheels still spins endlessly due to the open diff and craptacular oem rubber.

I would guess that if you were to simply change the suspension you will still experience significant wheel spin.
Stiffer suspension should cause the inside wheel to keep more weight on it which should result in better traction. I am running Kumho SPTs, which are a summer tire. The softer compound doesn't seem to slow wheel spin.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
don't waste your money on aspec. they cost almost the same (like $100 difference). at least with koni you can adjust height and dampening. with aspec, what you see is what you get. if you put the koni on the softest setting, it will pretty much match the comfort of stock suspension but with better handling.

I haven't tried the setting on full firm yet but I set it halfway and it feels sporty.
I am leaning towards the Konis for their adjustability. Plus tirerack has the 25% off.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mball
I am leaning towards the Konis for their adjustability. Plus tirerack has the 25% off.
Keep in mind there are two versions of Konis for the TSX. One from TireRack and One from Neuspeed. The Neupeed one has more height adjustments which is probably what you are looking for.

http://www.neuspeed.com/products/pro...type=ns_import
Old 02-16-2010, 01:57 PM

JTSO is right. Try to get the SP3 shocks model. If it says Neuspeed Super Cut Kit, then it's the SP3 model.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:13 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Just the Bilstein B12 Tuning Kit. Here's some good reasons:
  • Monotube design
  • Drops a little more than a-spec (35mm Front, 25mm Rear)
  • Slightly firmer than A-Spec
  • Smoother than A-Spec
  • Handles better than A-Spec
Old 02-16-2010, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by feuss2
Just the Bilstein B12 Tuning Kit. Here's some good reasons:
  • Monotube design
  • Drops a little more than a-spec (35mm Front, 25mm Rear)
  • Slightly firmer than A-Spec
  • Smoother than A-Spec
  • Handles better than A-Spec
  • Costs a lot more than A-Spec AND Cup Kit
Fixed
Old 02-16-2010, 11:27 PM
8th Gear

I am almost completely convinced about getting the neuspeed+konis on my 07 TSX, but donot know what perch to select, I read 2nd Front and Medium or 3rd Rear both from top to bottom will give you a one finger gap, but was wondering if any of you guys have photos with this combo to share.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:04 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JTso
Keep in mind there are two versions of Konis for the TSX. One from TireRack and One from Neuspeed. The Neupeed one has more height adjustments which is probably what you are looking for.

http://www.neuspeed.com/products/pro...type=ns_import
According to the Koni website (http://www.koni-na.com/cat_search.cf...30&submit.y=12) the part number that tirerack sell has an adjustable spring perch that can lower the car 20mm front and rear. I can't look at the Neuspeed site from work, do they have more height adjustment?

I was refering to the ability to adjust the shocks from soft to hard.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The koni sp3 have 5 perch vs regular koni 3 perch.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:29 PM
Racer

I had koni and eibach pro-kits on mine. I had the front set at 0 (middle) and the rear at -1. I thought the height and look was just right.

FYI, I did blow out one of my Konis. Not sure how. I still have to call Koni for warranty (lifetime).
Old 02-17-2010, 03:35 PM
heel/toe is my specialty

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stiffer suspension should cause the inside wheel to keep more weight on it which should result in better traction. I am running Kumho SPTs, which are a summer tire. The softer compound doesn't seem to slow wheel spin.
"should" being the operative word here. Even with the stiffer suspension I find an incredible amount of inside wheel spin so I can only assume that in my case it is the tires or diff. Since you have the tires eliminated (and suspension?) perhaps it is just the diff. I should also mention that I have tried a few different summer tires on the car and most of them have resulted in significantly less inside wheel spin than the oem's.

If they both cost the same I would also go with the Koni's. For the OP though the suspension may not be the only fix required for the wheel slip issue. Tires would be next on my list if the suspension didnt solve your problem.

Last edited by Red@8; 02-17-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:33 AM
Instructor

Back to my original questions:

Has anyone driven cars with both set ups that can give me a comparison?
Is there anyone in the Savannah, GA area with either set up?
The following users liked this post:
07typesjb (02-24-2013)
Old 02-20-2010, 02:07 PM
Intermediate

I got nuespeed/koni sp3, nuetral perch up front...tight 1 finger gap, lowest perch in the rear...little over a finger gap, set on the softest setting for now. Handles very well, stock-like, corners like it's on rails. I'm dropped on tein h-techs & also have a progress rsb. All this adds up to a perfect daily driver that handles exceptionally well imho.
Not knocking the aspec or nothing, but a buddy of mine has the aspec on his & after riding along a couple of times I gotta say GO KONI!!! but that's just me
You say you got konis on your miata so I'm pretty sure what I'm saying about the handling rings a bell. Just my 2 cents...happy hunting!
Old 02-22-2010, 09:59 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by sandman13
I got nuespeed/koni sp3, nuetral perch up front...tight 1 finger gap, lowest perch in the rear...little over a finger gap, set on the softest setting for now. Handles very well, stock-like, corners like it's on rails. I'm dropped on tein h-techs & also have a progress rsb. All this adds up to a perfect daily driver that handles exceptionally well imho.
Not knocking the aspec or nothing, but a buddy of mine has the aspec on his & after riding along a couple of times I gotta say GO KONI!!! but that's just me
You say you got konis on your miata so I'm pretty sure what I'm saying about the handling rings a bell. Just my 2 cents...happy hunting!
Hey Sand man, do you happen to have photos of your Neuspeed/Koni SP3 by any chance?
Old 02-23-2010, 11:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
don't bother with the A SPec kit. get the koni nuespeed. i have that and its well worth the money. I have mines at 0 front and -1 in the rear. perfect stance. Daily driver settings: 1 revolution in the front, .5 revolution in the rear. Rides lovely, still go over speed bump, handles great, but i also have a Comptech/CT engineering rear sway bar with energy suspension polyurathane bushing. All i need is LSD and better tires, i'll be on rails!
Old 02-24-2010, 10:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by xaznperswaesonx
don't bother with the A SPec kit. get the koni nuespeed. i have that and its well worth the money. I have mines at 0 front and -1 in the rear. perfect stance. Daily driver settings: 1 revolution in the front, .5 revolution in the rear. Rides lovely, still go over speed bump, handles great, but i also have a Comptech/CT engineering rear sway bar with energy suspension polyurathane bushing. All i need is LSD and better tires, i'll be on rails!
I think that I am going to get the Konis. Are you using stock springs? Who makes a LSD for the TSX?
Old 02-24-2010, 03:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think that I am going to get the Konis. Are you using stock springs? Who makes a LSD for the TSX?
I'm using the Neuspeed Konis with the neuspeed sport spring. they sell as a set.

LSD you can buy by itself. From what i read, the whole civic SI tranny comes with LSD and is a direct bolt on to our engine. That's my plan if i were to go with a LSD. Also lots of people say that the gearing in the SI is more suitable to performance minded people.

I think you'll like the set up. I was searching for nearly half a year. Was deciding between various set ups. Konis w. hr or eibach spring, tien basic / ss coil over system, aspec, and the neuspeed koni set up/different spring combo.

I ended up getting the neuspeed konis set up. since at that time, the set up is 600. while koni struts were going for 600 w/out the springs. that would have been 800 if i were to go with the koni w/ hr or eibach springs. So it's a no brainer to go with the neuspeed set. 600 for strut and spring + more height adjustments. sell the spring later if you dont like it and pick up another spring.

i don't adjust my height a lot so i dont need coil overs. i love the dampening adjustment on the konis too. i find myself adjusting that more than lowering/raising my car.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:38 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
Fixed
Confused between reasons you should buy vs. reasons you should not? You didn't fix anything...
Old 02-25-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by feuss2
Confused between reasons you should buy vs. reasons you should not? You didn't fix anything...
I put it in bold......

Well any ways, I added "Costs a lot more than A-Spec AND Cup Kit"