Someone manned up and imported some Tein CS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007 | 03:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Someone manned up and imported some Tein CS!!!

Beautiful man, these things are VERY sick.

For those unaware, the CS is a brand new line from Tein. It stands for Comfort Sport. The ride is supposed to be smoother than stock without compromising the handling of the stock sup. More of a Sport Luxury Sus. The Basics and SS are more sporty than the stock sus, while this is supposed to carry fewer compromises that the other systems offer. The springs here are going to be slightly firmer than stock, but we expect the ride to be on par with a A-spec suspension.

Flat black with gold ano accessories

RUBBER Upper mounts...designed to soften harshess from road irregularities.

Adjustable height is standard. Very cool looking! Teins signature adjustment perches are designed for ease of use. You can set the wrenches on the collars and they will hold themselves on there, alleviating some of the contorting needed with most other damper kits.

Yup, CL7-R. The CS kits are designed to have similar shock valving to the stock vehicle. All CS dampers are also Mono-tube design, a big advantage over twin-tube shock design. However, Tein has integrated a new technology in the shock, MSV. What this does is offer two different types of fluid flow in one shock! At low damper speeds, the shock is firmer to resist body roll, squat and dive, and it enhances stability. However, when larger bumps are causing the suspension to make fast, big changes, the shocks will give way to a softer dampening level. So you can have your fine handling and excellent compliance all in one kit!

As you can see, the CS is 16 way dampening adjustable, so you can fine tune your ride and handling for many environments. And yes, this kit IS EDFC COMPATABLE. Adjust the dampening from inside the car, and have up to 3 memory settings! Also note the rubber ring integrated into the top hat, designed to isolate vibration and road noise from the cabin. And the CS damper kit comes preassembled so swapping with the stock suspension is fast and easy.

And for you east-coasters, all the JDM spec Tein kits come with rust inhibiting spray. This stuff is not available in the USA due to EPA concerns, but a small bottle is smuggled in with JDM spec Special order kits.

Yes, these kits are special order from Japan ONLY. They are listed on Tein's site but they are not regularly distributed at this time. The only way to get one of these kits is to special order them though an authorized Tein dealer (such as myself ) and wait a nomial period for them to arrive! Contact me for pricing and ordering info!!!!

Marcus
949-295-1668
marcus@heeltoeauto.com
Old 01-10-2007 | 03:32 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

can i buy the rubber upper mounts alone?
Old 01-10-2007 | 03:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by hrj_1985
can i buy the rubber upper mounts alone?

No, but I am not really 100% sure why you'd want to unless you wanted to put rubber upper mounts on a Flex kit, which would not make much sense. The upper mounts would not work with Basics, SS, or any other sus that uses a stock top hat.
Old 01-10-2007 | 03:44 PM
Unauthorized User

These looks nice! i thought about getting them, but i'm going to go with the Tein Flex.
The CS is adjustable?
Old 01-10-2007 | 04:11 PM
Drifting

so who decided to get these? come on, fess up!
Old 01-10-2007 | 04:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by VegaTSX
These looks nice! i thought about getting them, but i'm going to go with the Tein Flex.
The CS is adjustable?

Yes, as mentioned in the post they are 16 way adjustable.

The Flex is going to offer more ride height and preload options, and is definately going to yeild a higher performance level.

There is no 'best' tein setup. That is what I love about them! There is a kit for everyone, no matter how specific your needs are!!!

Marcus
Old 01-10-2007 | 04:42 PM
Team Owner

Oh man oh man! I'm excited about these You can expect a hungry customer soon
Old 01-10-2007 | 05:03 PM
Is waiting in

Old 01-10-2007 | 06:34 PM
Time to Climb

too bad i all ready have the basics
Old 01-10-2007 | 10:11 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

those are really sweet coilovers, the monotube design and MSV (or called FSD by Koni) is awesome technology
Old 01-10-2007 | 10:39 PM
Racer

Wow, those look great...you didn't mention the spring rate.....they look like they are progressive also.

I love my A-Spec but would like to cornerweight my car for better handling looks like these would fit the bill for a comfortable ride (kids and all) but also be able to balance and therefore handle better than the A-Spec.

Any more information to share?
Old 01-10-2007 | 11:53 PM
seizure force field!

they cost around the same price as the flex right? or do they come w/ a premium since they are "rare"? are they rebuildable too? they appear to be linear to me (equi-distant coils), and the spring rates (CS: 392/224) are half of what the Flex (Flex: 783/448) has... compared to the Stock: 280/175.
Old 01-11-2007 | 12:00 AM
Instructor

let me get this straight.
these are fully adj coilovers that are give a more comfortable ride than stock but give stock performance?
Old 01-11-2007 | 12:09 AM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

http://www.tein.com/cstdamp.html
Performance and Comfort without Compromise

Designed and developed with the sophisticated driver in mind, the Comfort Sport Damper provides increased handling and a more stylish appearance; while retaining a smooth civilized ride.

Concept

New Technology
Features TEIN's latest technological innovation, the Micro Speed Valve (M.S.V.), improves overall traction and steering response by precisely controlling the internal flow of oil.
Design
The smooth, sleek black shell case is coated with a special fluorocarbon resin for superior resistance to corrosion. Gold alumite spring seats and locks distinguish the Comfort Sport dampers from competitors and ensure a simple, hassle-free adjustment; every time.
Development
By using popular sized wheels and tires to develop the Comfort Sport damper, we are able to accurately determine the optimum spring rates and damping to achieve a perfect balance between comfort and performance.
Old 01-11-2007 | 12:36 AM
Advanced

Damn, been a lurker but had to register just for this! I was actually inquiring about this on another forum. Looking to pick this up. I cannot PM for whatever reason, so please PM me or get back to me with the info, thanks!
Old 01-11-2007 | 12:55 AM
Unauthorized User

Originally Posted by TSXinHI
Damn, been a lurker but had to register just for this! I was actually inquiring about this on another forum. Looking to pick this up. I cannot PM for whatever reason, so please PM me or get back to me with the info, thanks!
Yeah new rules you can't PM anyone because recently of all these spammers. so you need at least 30 post before you can send PM's.
Old 01-11-2007 | 01:08 AM
Advanced

Ah, i see. Guess it's time to post whore it up! Haha, nah. Can i recieve PM's from other people at least? Just need to know what kinda damage my wallet is looking at and what not. If he can send me stuff then it's all good.
Old 01-11-2007 | 01:10 AM
Unauthorized User

Ah, i see. Guess it's time to post whore it up! Haha, nah. Can i recieve PM's from other people at least? Just need to know what kinda damage my wallet is looking at and what not. If he can send me stuff then it's all good.
you can't recieve pm's either.
These will cost you $1400 they're not cheap about the same as the Tein Flex, but they also will have to be imported.
Old 01-11-2007 | 01:21 AM
Advanced

I hope the importing fees aren't too brutal. The $1400 isn't bad. I much rather pay for quality suspension than anything else on my car. I'll feel the ride 100% of the time i'm using my car, so i have no problem as long as it's a quality piece that'll fit my needs. I figure i spent near 30k on the car, i can afford 1k+ for suspension that doesn't make it ride like a car costing 10k.

btw, thanks for the help.
Old 01-11-2007 | 01:37 AM
Former Sponsor

I hope the importing fees aren't too brutal. The $1400 isn't bad. I much rather pay for quality suspension than anything else on my car. I'll feel the ride 100% of the time i'm using my car, so i have no problem as long as it's a quality piece that'll fit my needs. I figure i spent near 30k on the car, i can afford 1k+ for suspension that doesn't make it ride like a car costing 10k.

btw, thanks for the help.

There are no importing fees. That price is to your door (well, not to HI, within the continental US).

The ride should be very close to stock, probably barely firmer. The handling is going to be noticably improved over stock. It basically should be exactly what many of us are looking for in a suspension kit.

Marcus
Old 01-11-2007 | 01:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by v6cord2k5
they cost around the same price as the flex right? or do they come w/ a premium since they are "rare"? are they rebuildable too? they appear to be linear to me (equi-distant coils), and the spring rates (CS: 392/224) are half of what the Flex (Flex: 783/448) has... compared to the Stock: 280/175.

No, rarity only has to do with the fact that people somehow have a problem waiting 60 days for them to arrive (which is odd, because a lot of you guys wait longer for for the inferior Tanabes). The cost on these is a little higher than some US kits because there is extra shipping and handling involved.

Yes, they are rebuildable and able to be revalved if you wish.

They are not progressive springs.

People should stop comparing these to the Flex kit. It is a classic case of comparing products based on price, which is a big mistake in this case. Cost is only one factor in a suspension. As you can see, the spring rates are totally different, geared for different driving. Also, the upper mounts on the FLEX are going to yeild more linear dampening and response compared to the CS, and the CS is going to have less road harshness associated with it. The CS is monotube, the flex is twin tube. Also, the Flex is full-length adjustable. The CS is going to handle larger luxury wheels better than the Flex. The bottom line is, the Flex carries it's cost in track-day performance features and the CS carries its cost in a ride/handling balance for the street. They are totally different.
Old 01-11-2007 | 01:48 AM
Advanced

I think a couple months ago I emailed you guys for a quote on either the Basics or SS shipped to me. Would that same shipping cost apply to the CS too? I dunno the rules so i don't want to post up prices i got just in case.

I think this is exactly what i'm looking for. People tell me the SS and what not is good for spirited driving, etc. Well in HI, can't really do too much spirited driving, and i'm more of a cruiser now anyways (my racer days are behind me). I'm looking for a drop that will keep my ride nice and cushy on my way to work and back home, and on my errands, and the CS sounds like what i'm looking for. If the shipping is the same as what i was quoted on the other Teins, then put me down. I'm leaving for Vegas on the 12th, returning the 14th, so we can get it done on Monday hopefully!
Old 01-11-2007 | 01:52 AM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
There are no importing fees. That price is to your door (well, not to HI, within the continental US).

The ride should be very close to stock, probably barely firmer. The handling is going to be noticably improved over stock. It basically should be exactly what many of us are looking for in a suspension kit.

Marcus
ho.. then it still affordable, im going to save up a bit for this coilovers.
Old 01-11-2007 | 03:52 AM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Surely with a lowered setup, these softer spring rates are going to cause the car to bottom out more easily or ride the bump stops more often, are they not?
Old 01-11-2007 | 05:55 AM
Time to Climb

People should stop comparing these to the Flex kit. It is a classic case of comparing products based on price, which is a big mistake in this case. Cost is only one factor in a suspension. As you can see, the spring rates are totally different, geared for different driving. Also, the upper mounts on the FLEX are going to yeild more linear dampening and response compared to the CS, and the CS is going to have less road harshness associated with it. The CS is monotube, the flex is twin tube. Also, the Flex is full-length adjustable. The CS is going to handle larger luxury wheels better than the Flex. The bottom line is, the Flex carries it's cost in track-day performance features and the CS carries its cost in a ride/handling balance for the street. They are totally different.
well said
Old 01-11-2007 | 09:28 AM
Tormented by mod choices

Hi, suspension noob here.

Marcus mentioned the CS damper kit comes pre-assembled -- does that mean that this is just as easy to install now as the A-spec suspension? I seem to recall reading earlier that other kits were harder to install than A-spec.
Old 01-11-2007 | 10:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by PJS
Surely with a lowered setup, these softer spring rates are going to cause the car to bottom out more easily or ride the bump stops more often, are they not?

Hmmm, no. That is not true. These dampers, just like all the other Teins, are designed to work at a specific height. Tein Basics lower the car even more than these do, and yet the rates do not need to be asttronomically high to maintain the ride.

The average lowering with these shocks is about 1.5" lower than stock. That is not a significant drop. But more importantly the lowering is attained by actually shortening the damper itself. Issues with hitting the bumps stops come up when people install shorter springs on standard length shocks. This puts the shock travel in a position too low and increases bottoming out. This is why we typically recommend going with a Tein coilover setup over spring swapping. The Teins lower the car by actually making the physical shock shorter. So the same damper and spring stroke can be had as stock with a lower ride.

And no, this does not specifically increase the tendancy to hit the ground either. That factor is dependant more on the degree of lowering (which needs to be quite a bit more than it is here) and also the care of the driver transversing obstacles.

Marcus

Oh, TSXinHI, that same shipping quote will apply. Add $100 for shipping to the Aloha State.

And another thing, the CS can be had in a matter of a week rather than 60 days if you are willing to pay $150-200 more for air shipping. If you ask me it isn;t really worth it. Either way, payment in full in advance is required by Tein, so that means we require it too
Old 01-11-2007 | 10:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by steeveage
Hi, suspension noob here.

Marcus mentioned the CS damper kit comes pre-assembled -- does that mean that this is just as easy to install now as the A-spec suspension? I seem to recall reading earlier that other kits were harder to install than A-spec.

Yes, it is as easy to install as the A-Specs. The reason is because disassembly of the stock damper assembly is not needed.
Old 01-11-2007 | 10:18 AM
Team Owner

Marcus, how does the ride quality compare to the A-spec?
Old 01-11-2007 | 10:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jlukja
Marcus, how does the ride quality compare to the A-spec?

It should be mentioned above somewhere, I expect the ride on par with the A-Spec, perhaps a tad firmer. But I think you'd probably be splitting hairs.

I'd consider these a height-adjustable, dampening adjustable version of the A-Spec suspension.

Marcus
Old 01-11-2007 | 10:43 AM
Team Owner

^^ gotcha, thanks.
Old 01-11-2007 | 10:43 AM
Racer

It should be mentioned above somewhere, I expect the ride on par with the A-Spec, perhaps a tad firmer. But I think you'd probably be splitting hairs.

I'd consider these a height-adjustable, dampening adjustable version of the A-Spec suspension.

Marcus
Which would be perfect for those of us that daily drive, have children, have friends who go to dinner with and yet, love to rock some on-ramps and occasionally run an auto-x

Damn, now I have to start stashing $ aside
Old 01-11-2007 | 11:07 AM
Is waiting in

hmm.. i wish i had these to install
Old 01-11-2007 | 11:16 AM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Marcus... can you give us a little comparison to the Tanabe Sustec's? It seems that these 2 setups would be considered by those that are looking for more aesthetics than anything else. I realize that the Tiens are damper adjustable, and come pre-assembled... is there anything else? I can't imagine the ride to be any better in the Tiens than on the Tanabes as far as "closeness to stock ride" are concerned. If I'm not mistaken, the CS have softer spring rates in the front than the Tanabes, and identical spring rates in the back. Also, will the CS have the same potential to "creak" like the Basics and SS?

I'm trying to decide if investing in these is worth swapping out my Sustecs. I need to weigh whether or not the cost difference between the two (nearly double) is worth the added benefits to me. I don't have one complaint about my current setup (I actually love them), but I'm always looking
Old 01-11-2007 | 12:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by amadeus303
Marcus... can you give us a little comparison to the Tanabe Sustec's? It seems that these 2 setups would be considered by those that are looking for more aesthetics than anything else. I realize that the Tiens are damper adjustable, and come pre-assembled... is there anything else? I can't imagine the ride to be any better in the Tiens than on the Tanabes as far as "closeness to stock ride" are concerned. If I'm not mistaken, the CS have softer spring rates in the front than the Tanabes, and identical spring rates in the back. Also, will the CS have the same potential to "creak" like the Basics and SS?

I'm trying to decide if investing in these is worth swapping out my Sustecs. I need to weigh whether or not the cost difference between the two (nearly double) is worth the added benefits to me. I don't have one complaint about my current setup (I actually love them), but I'm always looking

The differences are pretty great actually....read the 1st post. The fact alone that these are mono-tube is a huge difference. It just occurred to me that many of you might not realize what that means.

In a damper there is oil and gas. The gas, nitrogen, is under pressure and basically it is there to keep the oil from sloshing around inside the shock. In a twin tube design, both the gas and oil are in the same tube, so the whole thing is under pressure. What can happen is the gas can actually mix with the oil and put air bubbles in it. This reduces the damper's effectiveness since the oild viscosity gets messed up. Also, it can cause noises. I tend to think this is the squeaky noise that can occur with some othe Basics and SS we are using. Really, any twein tube shock can do this, but since so many of us use the Basics and SS, we tend to hear about it more as though it were a "Tein problem." That really is not likely the case.

Anyway, in a monotube design, the oil and gas are separated into different areas of the shock. What this does is allow a much higher gas pressure without the risk of the fluids mixing. With the higher gas pressure, the valving in the shock can act truer and it is more effective. This setup also stays cooler, making for more consistant dampening with vigorous driving.

Monotube shocks are considerably more expensive to produce. Also, they tend to get a bad rap for riding more poorly that a twin tube design. Really, the monotube design, in my mind, is the way to make a damper and a twin tube is squishy by comparison, giving the illusion that is rides better. But if you ask me, going with a well valved monotube is the best way to get the ride you want. The difference in ride is going to be felt over small impacts. They tend to no forgive much until large bumps are hit. And really, this is a good thing for stability and road feel. It would be a welcome improvement if you ask me. All the best shocks are monotube, and all the best handling cars have them fitted. The ride quality is not going to decrease a lot, but you are going to feel the road more.

The rates on these, 7/4 are comparable with the SOC2 at 8/4. So the softness of the car is going to be comparable. But my experience with the Sustecs left me feeling really weird about them. I don't like how they are dampened. They feel sloppy and squishy. Some might preceive that as a good ride. But if I wanted a car that rode like that I'd buy a Chrysler or something. The TSX is a sports sedan, and I thing the Tanabes are not tuned to par with the car's abilities.

By the same token, the Basics and SS, being a more performance orieted setup than the SOC, can be a little firm for some people. I think the CS is going to strike the best balance between the Stock and Basic. The SOC2 I generally do not recommend based on my personal experience with them, the design (not short-case), the availability, and the cost compared to the Basics.

All in all, cost discussion aside, all the suspension kits mentioned are good. The Tanabes are simply another system from another company. The Teins are the same. A-Spec, same. They are all designed by an engineer who took the criteria the company was shooting for and make a suspension. It is a very subjective subject. Me, personally, I like the Basics, and if I had a TSX I am sure I would get them. But some of you can really appriciate the enhances the CS offers and the level of performance they provide.

My advice is, if you like your suspension it does not make a whole lot of sense swapping it out. For the cost difference you might not see the benifit. However, if you would like to really noticably imporve the feel of your car and enhance the performance, you can do so without greatly impacting ride by getting teh CS.

HTH

Marcus
Old 01-11-2007 | 12:51 PM
Advanced

Oh, TSXinHI, that same shipping quote will apply. Add $100 for shipping to the Aloha State.
My previous shipping quote was half that. Not that i'm bitching about $50 bucks, just that the one emailed to me through the website was half that, so just checking to see which one is accurate.

So the max drop on these things is 1.5" all around?? Hmm, wonder if that'll be low enough for me.
Old 01-11-2007 | 12:58 PM
Former Sponsor

My previous shipping quote was half that. Not that i'm bitching about $50 bucks, just that the one emailed to me through the website was half that, so just checking to see which one is accurate.

So the max drop on these things is 1.5" all around?? Hmm, wonder if that'll be low enough for me.

Sorry my mistake....shipping international is $150, but to you it is $100...so it is only $50 more (the $1400 inlcude domestic shipping, so I am giving you are $50 credit there either way).

The max drop is about 2", but you may need to trim the bump stop at that height.

Marcus
Old 01-11-2007 | 02:22 PM
Advanced

No problem. I'm used to paying higher shipping anyways. The extra $50 is fine, it's just that I like to know EXACTLY what i'm paying when i buy stuff, know what i mean?

2" sound alot nicer. Sorry if this is a noob question, but what exactly does trimming the bumpstop do? Does it affect ride quality?

Little off subject from susp., but since i can't PM yet, can you get ahold of 06 Euro-r kits? If you can, i may have to just lump it all in to one order.
Old 01-11-2007 | 02:50 PM
is glad to be back!

No problem. I'm used to paying higher shipping anyways. The extra $50 is fine, it's just that I like to know EXACTLY what i'm paying when i buy stuff, know what i mean?

2" sound alot nicer. Sorry if this is a noob question, but what exactly does trimming the bumpstop do? Does it affect ride quality?

Little off subject from susp., but since i can't PM yet, can you get ahold of 06 Euro-r kits? If you can, i may have to just lump it all in to one order.
hey are you 808tsx on the "other" forum?
Old 01-11-2007 | 03:18 PM
Advanced

Yups! You wanna trade suspension? Hehe. My friend said he seen your car in person and it's nice! He was the one that told me "some other tsx" got the VS-XX already.

Quick Reply: Someone manned up and imported some Tein CS!!!