S-tech plus shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S-tech plus shocks?

I have bought some s-tech springs for my 04 tsx and I want to replace my shocks at the same time. My question is which shocks will best handle the lowered springs while still giving me decent comfort.

I know about the Konis people use all the time, but I am trying to spend less than $600-700. What about using the S-techs on an A-spec kit? Would that work fairly well as they are designed to match with a shorter spring than the stock spring? I can probably get the A-specs cheaper than the Konis.

I am not really looking for adjustability, just looking to replace my worn stock shocks with something that will be able to handle lowering springs without too rough of a ride.

I'd appreciate any help you fellow TSX owners could provide.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:45 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know, but do not get Koni's they are low pressure shocks and the TSX is too heavy for them, they burn out really quick.

You can wait for Eibach shocks coming out August 07 or Bilstein
Old 07-04-2007, 02:24 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Suspension is a key component - so I'd suggest you stick with what you've got for now, and keep adding to the funds.
Once you've got the required amount, then buy something that'll make a major difference rather than minor. Fully adjustable coilovers are much better than springs over a shock with no adjustment to damping, and whose valving will likely not be suited to the (presumably) higher spring rate put on them.
I'm not saying it's a compromise too far, but for the money spent, it's not that much more for something that'll provide you with adjustment for your type of driving style and the roads you traverse mainly.

That said, there's a set of used Sustec Pro II over on tsxclub.com for your budget.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:57 PM
Cruisin'

I understand that a full coilover system is the best way to go, but I am not willing to spend that kind of money on a suspension mod.

Wouldn't the A-spec suspension fitted with S-tech springs give me a pretty good compromise? After all the A-spec kit is .75-1 inch lower than the stock suspension, so I am not preloading the shocks as much as with stock struts.

I know everyone says to go coilover, but I am only looking to achieve a slightly lowerd even drop all around, and am looking for replacements shocks that can best handle that without killing my wallet or my kidneys.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:57 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Well, if you are intent on going for springs only, then go for the Swift ones - they're the most linear spring made and not used by the likes of Zeal and others for no reason.
I take it you've got the A-Spec already or are you planning on buying that too, and dumping the springs?
If the latter, you're already looking at $800 - not a kick in the arse off full coilovers.
If the 2nd hand Sustec don't appeal for $600, and you're running standard suspension, then either get the A-Spec and be done, or just slap springs on the regular units.

Speak with Xcelerate - one of our vendors, and see what prices he quotes you. I know he does K-Sport at a good deal, I think they're too track oriented with the spring rates chosen, but I'm sure you could get K-Sport to swap in something softer.
If not, then there's AMR Engineering over on Honda-Tech.com and he does custom, hand-built coilovers to your requirements for $895, IIRC.

The bottom line is if you're trying to do this on the cheap since you know you'll never see any return on the investment when you sell the car (with them on - you may want to remove them and sell separately) then I'd say don't bother, and keep the money for something more important.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Cruisin'

Let me clarify slightly. I have already sourced the springs, and have decided that at 60K I should just replace the shocks at the same time.

I have a line in on an A-spec suspension kit, and I figured that it might be the best way to lower the car without wearing out the shocks prematurely. I thought that since the A-spec kit was designed with the lower spring height of the A-spec kit springs, I thought that the S-tech springs would not wear the shocks out as quickly as if I bought replacement OEM shocks.

If you know of some shocks that could handle some S-techs that are for sale that haven't been mentioned before, please let me know.

About not seeing any return on my investment, whenever I sell the car I will just return the car to stock and see what the market will bear for the used suspension components.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:40 AM
PJS
Burning Brakes

It's not the length of the spring alone, but that and the spring rate which would determine the number of times you'll bottom out and ride the bump stops.
More often than not, and the seals will be more likely to sprout a leak - this is the reason a lot of people caution changing springs only.

I hear what you say about the A-Spec, but the jury is out on whether they are any more durable with different springs used - although it would seem logical that if the S-Techs are firmer, then the piston won't be sitting in the body (assuming equal length of spring) and it'll require more force to hit the stops.
That said though, the damping won't be optimised, and you could end up with the car rebounding too quickly for your liking or your driving style.

The chances are though that it'll be fine, but you won't know that for certain - hence my trying to persuade you to consider spending the extra $200 or so for something you can dial in to suit your taste or driving characteristics.
You may find the combination doesn't suit you, and you've squandered $600+ finding out the hard way.
At least the coilover gives you a chance to find a suitable setting, and is more resellable than springs and the A-Spec unit.

I'm not trying to scare you, but to merely open your eyes and see that there's more to slapping a spring on a damper that goes into making a suspension unit.

Hopefully some other members will chip in with their thoughts and if they know if anyone's done an A-Spec spring swap.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:56 PM
Cruisin'

My problem with buying a coilover system is according to the spring rates comparison, all of the coilovers (with the exception of the TEIN comfort sport) have very high spring rates. If I am going to have to replace the springs in a coilover system with something more forgiving then what is the point of paying the premium?