Replacing only front tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 02:08 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing only front tires?

hello everyone,

I recently bought a tsx (been 3 months) and the acura service guy now tells me the front tires are pretty much gone. I haven't taken the car to any other place to check but has anyone replaced only the front tires? If I do have to replace only the front tires (which seems very likely when I looked at the tires ), can I put on tires of a different brand or do I have to stick to the same brand as the rear ones? Btw, is there a way to check the condition of the tires myself?

appreciate all the help folks!
Old 11-09-2006, 02:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Generally replacing tires in pairs is OK. Your more worn tires should go on the back axle and your newer tires on the front. Its OK to have different brands of tires as well (if you don't mind the different look on each axle). There are a number of tires that are considered better and are less expensive which a short search through this section will reveal.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:45 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

It's not so much condition as tread depth. There's gauges you can buy cheaply enough which will let you know how deep the tread is. Anything less than 3mm and you should replace as the depth is insufficient to remove standing water and slow you down as quickly normal tread depth would.

Check all the tyres, but as the fronts are the ones used for driving, steering, and braking (mainly) they're the most important ones to have full grip from, esp. this time of year.

Depending on what's currently on the rear, I'd suggest 220-320 wear index tyres. Anything higher and whilst they'll last longer (punctures omitting) the handling on greasy surfaces will be less than confidence inspiring once the tread has worn a few mm (7-8mm is normal depth when new).

http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyres-rating...ar-ratings.htm
Old 11-09-2006, 02:58 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
wow, 3 months. did you buy the car used?
Old 11-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Burning Brakes

probably...unless he intentionally spun out everytime he accelerated
Old 11-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Where did my garage go?

ya might want to check the alignment, too.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:07 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are so many negative comments about the OEM tires, so believe that putting anything else on one axle will give your car a split personnality, in handling/cornering. Get four new tires, and check your alignment.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:34 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by gdcwatt
There are so many negative comments about the OEM tires, so believe that putting anything else on one axle will give your car a split personnality, in handling/cornering. Get four new tires, and check your alignment.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:00 PM
2006 DGP Sold 10/24/2012

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd also recommend replacing all 4 tires with a better-performing tire. If you shop around you can probably find a complete set for nearly the same amount as 2 over-priced OEM Michelins.

And be careful when mounting a set of new tires on the front only. Depending on the tires and your suspension, you may end up with a nasty case of oversteer as your rear tires will likely have less grip than the fronts... not a good situation if you come into a corner too hot... you want the fronts to slide before the rears...
Old 11-13-2006, 04:15 PM
4th Gear

Sorry folks..I should have been more specific. Yes - I bought it used So the OEMs aren't *that* bad ;-)

So guess I should replace all 4 instead of just the front 2. I was a little hesitant to be replacing only the fronts although I didn't want to spend double the money right now either

So I was looking at some (cheaper) tires and I found these on tirerack:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....cleSearch=true

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....peed_rating=YR

These look to be decent tires considering price/reviews. Does anyone have any experience with either these? Anyone prefer one over the other? Suggestions for some other brand?

Thanks again everyone! Certainly helps to have folks like you around
Old 11-13-2006, 07:46 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Wrong size - 225/45x17
I wouldn't worry about only going for the two fronts - there is NO necessity to change all 4 at once to the same brand/model these days.
Depending on tread depth on the rears, you may find it worth changing them when it's time to rotate fronts to rear.
Stock tyres are alright - nothing to write home about, but not dire.
Personally, I'd recommend Toyo T1-Rs, Goodyear F1 GSD3, Yoko ES100, Avon ZZ3 (Mastercraft Avenger ZHP).
In fact, given the last one's price here, I'd be almost inclined to say sod it, get four new ones after all.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:44 PM
DGH
What, me worry?

Originally Posted by Santa Rosa Steve
And be careful when mounting a set of new tires on the front only. Depending on the tires and your suspension, you may end up with a nasty case of oversteer as your rear tires will likely have less grip than the fronts... not a good situation if you come into a corner too hot... you want the fronts to slide before the rears...
Ditto.

Very dangerous to have "best" tires on front....

"Where do I install new tires if I only buy two?
If you're replacing only two tires, be sure to have them installed on your vehicle's rear axle. New tires will provide better grip than your half-worn tires and when they are installed on the rear that helps reduce the potential for your vehicle to fishtail or hydroplane in wet conditions."

From Michelin. Video if you are an unbeliever:

http://www.michelinman.com/care/tip6.html
Old 11-13-2006, 10:33 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Meh.......no mention of what drive those cars are - FW or RW.
Also, what the heck was the RWD BMW doing there?
As for losing a FWD car with the rear stepping out - where was the power on with opposite lock?
Best way to correct oversteer unlike quick lift off on RWD to bring it back.
And what mm tread was there on those tyres? If anyone is running less than 3mm, then they need educated - after a good hard slapping.
Funny how the white one doesn't understeer wide with the same tyres reversed - which it should if they are aquaplaning.
Too many unknowns or unqualifieds to be scientific proof.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:21 AM
Racer

Remember that the people who made that video also make our OEM tires.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:24 AM
Doesn't Rice His Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DGH
Ditto.

Very dangerous to have "best" tires on front....

"Where do I install new tires if I only buy two?
If you're replacing only two tires, be sure to have them installed on your vehicle's rear axle. New tires will provide better grip than your half-worn tires and when they are installed on the rear that helps reduce the potential for your vehicle to fishtail or hydroplane in wet conditions."

From Michelin. Video if you are an unbeliever:

http://www.michelinman.com/care/tip6.html

Wow. Thanks for the info. I'll remember that in the future. Although in a blowout situation, you'd want your rears to go first, but if there's a likelyhood of that (due to wear), then the tire(s) should have been replaced in the first place.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:35 PM
DGH
What, me worry?

Originally Posted by gdcwatt
Remember that the people who made that video also make our OEM tires.
Also remember that they made EXACTLY what Acura requested. If Acura had wanted a performance tire (and was willing to take the hit on comfort and treadlife) Michelin could have given them that too.

Michelin had no say in the performance of these tires.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DGH
Also remember that they made EXACTLY what Acura requested. If Acura had wanted a performance tire (and was willing to take the hit on comfort and treadlife) Michelin could have given them that too.

Michelin had no say in the performance of these tires.
I don't know about that. If you give Michelin credit on one hand, for knowing what they're doing, then you can't say it's OK for them to make a tire whose wet-weather perfomance really starts to suck at 12,000 miles; put on your environmental hat, and think about the landfill mountain that they've created, of virtually new, full-tread depth used tires. Maybe it was one of those environmentalists who pushed the Michelin man off his boat last summer, after buying an eco-friendly four cylinder Mazda6 or TSX. Unfortunately, your only recourse is to save those MXM4's for some lease return, and, knowing what you know, that some poor schmuck will buy the car and likely kill himself on the first rainy day he encounters, and maybe sue Mazda or Acura for letting....... Yeah, I care. And they know. And they had a choice.