Problem with front koni shocks...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 04:46 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with front koni shocks...?

Got a small problem with my front koni shocks. I installed koni yellows and eibach prokit springs about a month ago. While travling down the hiway yesterday i hit an uneven part of the hiway and heard a loud banging and klunking noise. Thinking nothing of it at the time I continued on my way cause the car did not seem to drive any differently. Once i got to my destination on surface streets, my wheels would rub against the fenders on every hard left turn and sometimes on right turns. Once I got out of the car I noticed the front of the car was quite a bit lower than I remember it, especially on the drivers side. I was thinking what the heck happened. Since I did not have a chance to get to a point where I could take off the wheel at the time, I just decided to deal with it. This morning i was able to take off the front wheels and noticed the drivers side CV boot was torn and grease every where and the bottom of the koni shock was sitting about an inch lower in its mount and was very close to the drive shaft. the passengr side looked normal and all CV boots were fine. there are a few pics below.

Just wondering if anybody else has had this kind of problem and if it is something koni may warrentee...

drivers side

passenger side
Old 07-04-2005, 07:55 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

holy crap, did the shock break through the collar at the bottom and sink in further? I think that'd be a warranty issue, and possibly the damage it caused to your CV boot.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:40 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by xizor
holy crap, did the shock break through the collar at the bottom and sink in further? I think that'd be a warranty issue, and possibly the damage it caused to your CV boot.
thats the conclusion i also came to. im not too sure where to begin as far as trying to get it warentee'd etc. ive had koni shocks only last few cars and have never had any issue like this or hear of anything like this....later this week im going to get the CV boot fixed and put back the stock suspension for now, in addition to getting the alignment done again

anyone else heard of this happening?
Old 07-05-2005, 01:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow. That looks bad. When you first installed the shocks, did you make sure that the notch on the bottom of the shock lined up with the groove on the fork? Also did you torque the bolt on the fork to spec? That looks like it could only occur due to mfg defect or possibly improper installation (shock not seated properly into the fork).

I've hit some really sharp bumps with my Koni+Comptech spring set up and have not had any issues so far.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:38 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Wow. That looks bad. When you first installed the shocks, did you make sure that the notch on the bottom of the shock lined up with the groove on the fork? Also did you torque the bolt on the fork to spec? That looks like it could only occur due to mfg defect or possibly improper installation (shock not seated properly into the fork).

I've hit some really sharp bumps with my Koni+Comptech spring set up and have not had any issues so far.
I made sure the notch was lined up with the groove in the fork and was properly torqued. I had the service manual for reference for all the torque specs. hopefully in the nest few days i get a chance to take it apart and see if there is any other damage i could not see upon my initial inspection and to check to see if it was install properly. im hoping i do not have to replace the fork or the fender lining. i will call koni when i have a day off
Old 08-17-2005, 12:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Bumping this old thread.

flynhonda, did you ever resolve this issue? Was it a problem w/ the shock? Did Koni replace under warranty?
Old 08-17-2005, 09:55 AM
Drives With Hands

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm, I've heard a loud clunking a few times coming from my left-front shock, usually after going over a series of small but intense divets in the road.

I just had my front Konis raised 0.25". When the guy was in there we investigated and everything seemed alright. At first I thought the dust gasket might have not been installed on the perch correctly, leading to metal-metal contact, but it was in there nicely. No more clunking...yet. I'll keep an eye out.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:22 PM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
bump, any word on flynhonda on the issue???
Old 08-31-2005, 03:15 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
It's been a while since I had Koni shocks. When I had Koni shocks in my Prelude, I remember that I had to remove a collar (see the pic below) from the stock shock to put on to the Koni. From those pics, the collars weren't used. I wonder if that was the cause of this problem.